Playstation 4: Rumors and Speculation, complete with fanboy rage!

Hopefully someone develops an ad blocker like Google has as an extension for Chrome then. Even YouTube was getting annoying with those 20-30 second ads before you could watch a minute long clip. After adding Ad Block Plus though, that site and many others are nice to visit again.;)

[quote name='Salamando3000']Think it's more likely these Ads will mainly be used to create free/greatly reduced price games. Kinda like what already happens with many iPhone/Android games...get the game for free, but have ads, or pony up the money to play the game free of obstruction.[/QUOTE]

Lol.

Regardless of what happens I am not paying $300-600 for the latest hardware only to have it break in a couple years especially when consoles only have one year warranties. IMO if you keep your console in a smoke-free, pet free, and child free, clean, environment with enough space around for air ventilation and can prove it the company that makes your console should warranty it for the life of the system. Even if the console isn't sitting in the ideal conditions I still think the company that makes the console should warranty it, as long as you don't do something stupid to it like spill water on it or if your kid shoves lego's into the disc slot... so that you don't have to pay twice or even 3 times for the same product, especially when these products cost large amounts of money. Every last gen system had problems, the Wii had the GPU and artifacting problem, the PS3 has YLOD and the XBox 360 has RROD. The people that paid $400-600 for a console last gen are almost all screwed since they have either had to have their hardware repaired or purchased a new system. There is almost no perfectly working launch hardware left, if there is there is very little launch hardware from last gen that is working without repair or intervention. This is unacceptable to me, especially when paying so much money for a product.

My consoles are sitting in a well ventilated, open air entertainment center, smoke free, child free, and pet free home. I have central air so the consoles aren't running in a room that is any hotter than 75 degrees, and if so are run for only a couple hours at a time. The consoles aren't touched by anyone other than myself, and I am not stupid, and I am careful. There is no reason why I should have consoles breaking on me. Heck I don't even touch my consoles, only to put a disc in, I use the controller exclusively to turn the Xbox 360 on and to open the disc slot. Xbox 360 slim still broke on me... wireless adapter failed... there is simply no way this possibly could have been my fault, thankfully Microsoft replaced with an identical console.

Also post launch drought, happens every time, its real fun to spend again $300-600 on a console then have nothing to play for 6months or more while they make games for it. Yes I feel entitled, but assuming I have bought it, I have paid launch price for the console therefore that allows me to feel entitled since I have just spend a large amount of money on a product. If a company cannot produce a steady stream of games so I can, you know, use my shiny new toy for what it was designed for, then I don't want to buy it.

[quote name='SaraAB']Regardless of what happens I am not paying $300-600 for the latest hardware only to have it break in a couple years especially when consoles only have one year warranties. IMO if you keep your console in a smoke-free, pet free, and child free, clean, environment with enough space around for air ventilation and can prove it the company that makes your console should warranty it for the life of the system. Even if the console isn't sitting in the ideal conditions I still think the company that makes the console should warranty it, as long as you don't do something stupid to it like spill water on it or if your kid shoves lego's into the disc slot... so that you don't have to pay twice or even 3 times for the same product, especially when these products cost large amounts of money. Every last gen system had problems, the Wii had the GPU and artifacting problem, the PS3 has YLOD and the XBox 360 has RROD. The people that paid $400-600 for a console last gen are almost all screwed since they have either had to have their hardware repaired or purchased a new system. There is almost no perfectly working launch hardware left, if there is there is very little launch hardware from last gen that is working without repair or intervention. This is unacceptable to me, especially when paying so much money for a product.

My consoles are sitting in a well ventilated, open air entertainment center, smoke free, child free, and pet free home. I have central air so the consoles aren't running in a room that is any hotter than 75 degrees, and if so are run for only a couple hours at a time. The consoles aren't touched by anyone other than myself, and I am not stupid, and I am careful. There is no reason why I should have consoles breaking on me. Heck I don't even touch my consoles, only to put a disc in, I use the controller exclusively to turn the Xbox 360 on and to open the disc slot. Xbox 360 slim still broke on me... wireless adapter failed... there is simply no way this possibly could have been my fault, thankfully Microsoft replaced with an identical console.[/quote]
Exactly. While my consoles aren't kept in the most ideal conditions, for what you pay for them they should at least be warrantied for three years from the date of manufacture. As long as you haven't tried breaking the seal and tampering with the internal components on your own, you should be able to get warranty service with no problem. But even if you do need warranty service, it's a hassle if you're trying to claim that service from Sony. You need to have a receipt(or a copy of it) showing the date purchased and the serial # on the receipt or else you're SOL.

I bought an E74 error 360 from a local shop that still had the warranty seal intact under the faceplate for $10. All MS required from me when I registered it for service was the serial # from the console and my address for them to ship out the box to send it into them with. That's it. I've even heard that Nintendo is decent on doing repairs outside of the warranty(broken/cracked hinges on the Nintendo DS).

I mean, I can understand why Sony requires what they do, since they don't want to end up with tons of people like me doing like I did with the 360 I mentioned above. But if a console is still within the warranty period and hasn't been opened, some leeway should be given.
Also post launch drought, happens every time, its real fun to spend again $300-600 on a console then have nothing to play for 6months or more while they make games for it. Yes I feel entitled, but assuming I have bought it, I have paid launch price for the console therefore that allows me to feel entitled since I have just spend a large amount of money on a product. If a company cannot produce a steady stream of games so I can, you know, use my shiny new toy for what it was designed for, then I don't want to buy it.
Just like in prior gens, I waited this gen to see which console would have the most exclusive titles I'd want to play. That ended up being the PS3 for me. Moreover, after seeing all of the hardware issues people were having with the 360 I could not justify paying a lot for a console if it was going to end up breaking with just normal use.

Microsoft's repair process is so streamlined that it is incredibly easy to get a replacement from them, all you have to do is enter the serial number of your console into a website. Nintendo is decent with repair too but there is the issue that you might lose your games if you downloaded games onto the console if you send your system in for repair. Also if your system breaks, its possible your games could be gone forever regardless, if the part of the system where your games are stored breaks. They also send you the exact console, unless you have an old limited edition that they no longer stock. My replacement is working better than the console I bought from the box, there might be something to having something break once then having the problem fixed, once the problem is fixed the console will last forever. I have had both a controller and system replaced from them with no hassle.

It also doesn't even take long to redownload your stuff to your Xbox 360 either, this is obviously better than Nintendo's method of you might lose your games, and you will definitely lose your saves because most Wii saves are locked to the console, which is really unnecessary IMO, at least with the XBox your stuff is on the hard drive and is safe unless your hard drive breaks. When you license transfer the console only redownloads a small part of the original game, so you don't have to download 2-3GB games if you have them.

This streamlined repair process didn't come overnight though, those that bought the original hardware, aka those that paid the most for it, had to fight for RROD replacements in some cases until the warranty and lawsuit started. There is something wrong about that. I kind of like Nintendo's Ambassador program idea though, all console makers should do that, if you buy a launch console within a certain period of time you should get special privilages because you are paying more than the consumers who buy it down the line. But the benefits should not be one time, even if it was like, free extended warranty and 1 select download game a year that would be great. This could do wonders to help in selling launch consoles in a bad economy where people are already satisfied with what they have.

We have generations that are lasting 5-6 years+ now, so the console makers need to make sure they build a machine that can last that time period if kept under normal conditions. I shouldn't have to buy a product, especially one that costs a lot of money, with the knowledge that it WILL break before its usable life cycle is over. It should last no problem. We are also giving money to these companies in terms of games and accessories, so its not like a computer where you buy one and that is all you have to buy from the computer manufacturer. The games and accessories are specific to the console and can only be used with that console. In order to enjoy our product we have to keep buying from the company we choose, therefore I think they should have a responsibility to the consumer to build a product that will last so that the consumer can keep playing the games they paid $60 each for...... without having to shell out another $300 for another console 2-3 years down the line.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='spedmunki']I don't see how much better the next console can be graphics-wise with current technology. I don't think people are going to be spending a lot of money on a new system when they can get one that plays similar looking games from the last generation.[/QUOTE]

You're kidding, right?

What we've got right now is a lot of 720p games with the occasional bit of true 1080p rendering popping up. The exact same games can look a LOT better, as evidenced by seeing how a game scales across PCs of differing power. A console allows for more optimization with far fewer scaling factors to contend with.

Given a true 1080p 60 fps console environment with at least 4 GB of RAM (even if there are bottlenecks here and there it will be faster than working with secondary storage) and you'll see a quite substantial improvement int he images offered on existing 1080p TVs.

The real challenge will be the labor and imagination needed to exploit this at a price that doesn't drive the budget sky-high for a mid-level game. But even games with lesser budgets will look better because there will be so much less work required to get the results only the best coders could deliver in the previous generation.

[quote name='spedmunki']I'm lucky I'm getting old and have less and less time to game. The next generation seems like it is going to be so disappointing.[/QUOTE]

There can be an advantage to feeling less excitement for new platforms. I used to get almost every new machine at launch. I had work related reasons for that but a lot of it was just youthful excitement. Which rarely worked out well. If you were really lucky there was a launch title that really sold the system, and not leave you wondering if it was a good idea in the long wait for regular releases to kick in.

The N64, for example. I thought of it as the Super Mario 64 machine for a long while. For the better part of a year there just wasn't much else that really qualified the purchase. If I'd been ten years older when the N64 came out, I'd probably have held off a year and gotten just as much satisfaction at a lower cost.

The last new platform I bought at launch was the PSP. The closest I've come since is the 3DS, which was nearly nine months old and had a major price cut before I succumbed.

I still enjoy the speculation and considering what form a new machine might take with the tech of the moment but I can wait a much longer time before I need to buy anything.

[quote name='confoosious']I wish the first post was a wiki so I could edit it to say "This isn't gonna happen. Stop it."[/QUOTE]

That wouldn't be nearly as much fun. And basically no more rumors of consequence have been out since, which is why I haven't updated

[quote name='8bitArtist']hey look, gettinmoney is calling everyone dumb again in this thread.[/QUOTE]

Not everyone, just the dumb ones.

Updated OP, FINALLY got some new rumors of substance. BGR reports it will play 4K media.

For those that aren't hardware inclined, don't expect 4K games. The rumored hardware couldn't get close to the needed power. A modern $10,000 pc couldn't handle 4k games at a decent framerate(unless it was something as complex as Pac man)

[quote name='confoosious']Actually to clarify, I meant the NO USED GAMES part of the rumor is pure rubbish. Don't know about the BC part.[/QUOTE]

This could be the generation that usher in F2P. EA, Ubisoft, and crytek have all said they will go that direction. Chew on that.

So far the only thing that concerns me about next-gen future is still the gameplay, Im not really care about the graphic if the gameplay itself sux. About the 4K part it means we can get the highest possible resolution of pictures like what Cameron's Avatar did, so you cant get excited if your TV screen is hmm smaller than 50" I guess.

[quote name='soonersfan60']I didn't read all pages in this thread, but Pachter is an idiot. Only retailers that sell used games would be candidates not to stock the PS4 system.[/QUOTE]

Yep. And they'd be happy if places like Gamestop didn't stock them as that means more business for Target, Walmart etc.

bread's done
Back