Playstation 5 Re-stock Thread

Count me in as loving backwards compatibility as well. You know older games, if they were good, are still worth playing. I know getting the 3DS got me to play a good amount of DS games, and on the PS2 I was still playing PS1 games for a while till I finished most of the physical ones I owned. I have an extensive backlog of PS4 games, so it will be appreciated especially since I never bough a Pro. Some games don't run amazing (Ghosts during some missions and fights), so I will be glad to play them hopefully with some graphical enhancements no matter how minor they are. Also first years for games generally have quite spaced out releases with many dry spells so it's a great time to hack through our PS4 backlogs.
Yup especially the genres we like such as JRPGs, strategy RPGs, VNs, shmups, etc don't need future versions and aren't going to be getting any visual upgrades anyways. They're fine just the way they are and you want to be able to play them on your current system and not have to go re-buy them again.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the subject of BC, whether anyone uses it or not it needs to be baseline if they expect any sort of adoption of their digital stores. They're quick to tell us reasons why we should buy from digital storefronts or sub to PS+ for the 'free' games, but immediately dump compatibility when a new console releases? Not going to fly going forward so I think it was wise they backpedaled a bit with PS5. Hopefully they keep that trend up because MS has poured real resources into BC for years now and it's paying off considerably well.

On the subject of BC, whether anyone uses it or not it needs to be baseline if they expect any sort of adoption of their digital stores. They're quick to tell us reasons why we should buy from digital storefronts or sub to PS+ for the 'free' games, but immediately dump compatibility when a new console releases? Not going to fly going forward so I think it was wise they backpedaled a bit with PS5. Hopefully they keep that trend up because MS has poured real resources into BC for years now and it's paying off considerably well.
Completely agree. There are some PS3 games I’d like to finish and can’t. Mercenaries 2 (why, I don’t know) and finishing up the platinum trophy on the saboteur are things I wish I could wrap up, and I’d probably pay $5-$10 bucks for a digital copy rather than hassle with tracking down a physical copy. Easy money for them

Backwards compatibility is good between next gen and current generation systems but past that it seems like diminishing returns on the investment. I didn't see anywhere that the series X can handle older discs so you would still have to have a digital copy to go back and play it again. I'm old school and just haven't bought a lot of games digitally so I would still have to go back and buy all those older games again which is a hard pass.

Backwards compatibility is good between next gen and current generation systems but past that it seems like diminishing returns on the investment. I didn't see anywhere that the series X can handle older discs so you would still have to have a digital copy to go back and play it again. I'm old school and just haven't bought a lot of games digitally so I would still have to go back and buy all those older games again which is a hard pass.
I’m 99% sure it can play off of old discs. The One X (and the other One consoles) could and I think most assume the same is for the Series X.

I think it's cool that I can pop a disc in and then play either Disgaea 1, 4, or 5 on my PS5.  I ran out of extra HDMI inputs years ago anyways. 

So I've had this thread open in my browser since the big box stores started to sell PS5s prematurely. I did the bestbuy add to card and try and checkout with no success back on day one. I almost got one via Target but when I checked out it didn't have my CC info so it took the PS5 out of my cart and said sold out. Anyways I've been busy with work and family and still haven't been able to get a disk version PS5. If you are in the Chicago area and have an extra disk version pre-ordered at a bestbuy/target for on day release I'm willing to shell out some cash. Only looking for legit CAG members near me(elston/north ave area Bestbuys/targets. Drop me a PM.

Any confirmation if you'll be able to use the same power supply for a PS5 and Series X the way you could with a XboneX and PS4 Pro? I'm guessing no one has verified since PS5's don't seem to be out in the wild but I'm hoping for an affirmative.

So at least with the series X it looks like the discs for the older systems will work but more as a key to allow for the game to be downloaded? I'm curious to see if they will require the disc being in the system to play. If it isn't required I could see people trading older games to add them to their systems.

I suppose that does put Sony in a rough place. It would be interesting to see Vagrant Story running on a newer system.

Any confirmation if you'll be able to use the same power supply for a PS5 and Series X the way you could with a XboneX and PS4 Pro? I'm guessing no one has verified since PS5's don't seem to be out in the wild but I'm hoping for an affirmative.
these new systems seem thicc and i dont think the 8-shaped plug is likely for the ps5. the ps4 pro used a fat plug for launch systems, then it changed to the same as the slim, the 8 way

so it could be the fat plug from the original ps4 pro model but i cant confirm, i dont think they published pictures of the back

these new systems seem thicc and i dont think the 8-shaped plug is likely for the ps5. the ps4 pro used a fat plug for launch systems, then it changed to the same as the slim, the 8 way

so it could be the fat plug from the original ps4 pro model but i cant confirm, i dont think they published pictures of the back
It’s not confirmation by any means but they have posted pictures of the power cables. The blue background is the PS5 and the green tinted image is XSX.

wKZv0XN.jpg
I8Mpmzl.jpg

I plan on picking up the disc version of the PS5, but when I hear people online and offline deciding between regular and digital versions of the PS5, I think about this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sVCcPqOI58

Still hoping to get a pre-order in before launch day otherwise I'll be taking off work that day to go hunting for one.

I've never had this much trouble pre-ordering a console at launch. The Xbox was a cake to pre-order, but this has been worse than any previous console release and I've been around for a lot of them. 

Every PlayStation ever made has had a built in power supply. Also the power cable that is used has not changed for several generations. You should be able to use a ps4 power cable on a ps5. However, we would need to confirm this around launch.

I really like BC and here’s why-

I’m no longer a “gamer.” I like video games. There are games series I love and will buy every game of (Uncharted). There are games I’ll play casually with friends (Madden, NHL, MLB the show). I hardly have the time or energy to play games (4 year old and a 2 month old will do that to a guy). I play maybe an hour a week these days.

I don’t want a bunch of consoles hooked up anymore. I’ve got the PS4 on my living room 4k TV. That’s getting sold and replaced with a ps5. I’ve got an Xbox one x hooked up to the projector in the basement. That’ll be replaced with a Series X. Each tv has a switch dock, which is awesome. With BC, I don’t need to keep the previous gen consoles if I can still play those games on the new ones. I still have my ps3 but it’s not even hooked up.
Right there with you dude (three kids though, 2 through 8) and the older ones are getting into gaming. I got both pre-ordered because I have a backlog and want to play my PS4 games on my PS5 and I have a healthy collection of OG Xbox and 360 games. I'm in the process of piecing out my GameCube collection because I recently installed a GC loader into my GameCube and it's been amazing.

I'm not an Xbox Fanboy or a PS Fanboy, I'm a person who likes to play video games and share some of my nostalgia with my kids. Watching them play the original Luigi's Mansion and loving it (when they're not scared) is super fun.

It all comes down to preferences and what you want to do with the systems you have. BC and game pass will allow me to choose between a wide variety of games I already own or try games I never tried before. But as I mentioned earlier, it's MUCH harder with 3 kids running around.

Right there with you dude (three kids though, 2 through 8) and the older ones are getting into gaming. I got both pre-ordered because I have a backlog and want to play my PS4 games on my PS5 and I have a healthy collection of OG Xbox and 360 games. I'm in the process of piecing out my GameCube collection because I recently installed a GC loader into my GameCube and it's been amazing.

I'm not an Xbox Fanboy or a PS Fanboy, I'm a person who likes to play video games and share some of my nostalgia with my kids. Watching them play the original Luigi's Mansion and loving it (when they're not scared) is super fun.

It all comes down to preferences and what you want to do with the systems you have. BC and game pass will allow me to choose between a wide variety of games I already own or try games I never tried before. But as I mentioned earlier, it's MUCH harder with 3 kids running around.
My 4 year old likes games, I just limit play time. And oddly enough I never really played with her to get her into it, she just figured it out one day.

She loves my Arcade1up cabinets (the perfect size!) and loves Mario 64. She loves just running around the castle and in the levels. She really loves her some Animal Crossing on the switch though. That’s her go to. She’ll play online with my brother once in awhile too- FaceTime on the iPad while playing. It’s adorable.

She really only plays for 15 minutes and then moves on. Maybe 30 minutes or so in animal crossing on the weekends.

I like the idea of Backwards Compatibility on console, but at the same time, I feel like it's on a case by case basis. Like I've been replaying the Splinter Cell games on X1X, and it's great because the resolution was increased, even though some of them still maintain the original aspect ratio. But then I go to something like GTA IV, and it still has the resolution that is lower than 1080p and just looks super dated.

This is why one of my favorite things in recent years has been replaying last gen games on PC, because I can maximize the resolution and performance to modern standards and it makes an old game feel new. Like I feel I'm at a point where I will critique an older game more harshly now than I would have when it was released.

So at least with the series X it looks like the discs for the older systems will work but more as a key to allow for the game to be downloaded? I'm curious to see if they will require the disc being in the system to play. If it isn't required I could see people trading older games to add them to their systems.

I suppose that does put Sony in a rough place. It would be interesting to see Vagrant Story running on a newer system.
Both systems will most definitely require you to have the disc in the drive for games to work if you don't own them digitally. It's true OG Xbox and 360 games trigger a download and don't install anything from the disc but XB1 and PS4 games will likely install the same way they always have on the new systems.

Every PlayStation ever made has had a built in power supply. Also the power cable that is used has not changed for several generations. You should be able to use a ps4 power cable on a ps5. However, we would need to confirm this around launch.
the spiderman ps4 pro is a different plug. also slim ps2s had an adapter

The problem is that you can only do that trade in if you were lucky enough to get in on that fiasco preorder night correct? They got so few systems that it wasn’t even worth trying imo

I wouldn't want to risk my preorder messing with payment structure at this point. I'm just going to hang on to my PS4 pro until I'm fairly certain the PS5 doesn't have any major manufacturing defects. I then would rather turn it into someone like Bestbuy or Amazon and use that credit for more storage.

I wouldn't want to risk my preorder messing with payment structure at this point. I'm just going to hang on to my PS4 pro until I'm fairly certain the PS5 doesn't have any major manufacturing defects. I then would rather turn it into someone like Bestbuy or Amazon and use that credit for more storage.
I know not everyone is a fan of Facebook Marketplace, but I recently sold my Pro and one controller for $260. A lot of them are going in the $250-300 range right now.

Just an FYI for anyone really.

I know not everyone is a fan of Facebook Marketplace, but I recently sold my Pro and one controller for $260. A lot of them are going in the $250-300 range right now.

Sold mine on facebook marketplace too.

Was faster than using letgo/offerup.

$330 for 2tb Pro with controller.

I despise Facebook but Facebook marketplace has been pretty clutch for me. I’ve found some great things on there from people super close. Just be smart about it.

Sold my XB1X on offerup for $275, would have liked to get $300, but my area is flooded with xbox ones so happy to have sold it quickly.

I wouldn’t worry about ps5 launch defects as long as PlayStation store still sells even accidental extended warranty which I bought for PS4 for 3 years but my launch ps4 had no problems till this day

My PS4 would start but not read anything. I had to send it to Sony and got a replacement a bit over a week later on release. Defects will be fixed I'm sure. Not worth worrying about the unknown of something that likely wont happen.

I had issues with my launch day PS4 after about 6 months where the disc drive just stopped working. I called Sony and they knew based off the release date that it was still under warranty. They had a replacement to me in about a week or two. I just played my x1 while I waited. Really wasn’t too much of a hassle, so I wouldn’t worry too much.

Question...

If you get a pre-order bundle from GameStop, will they let you return the bundled items and keep the PS5? Specifically, the disc games. I’d rather have digital copies instead.

Question...

If you get a pre-order bundle from GameStop, will they let you return the bundled items and keep the PS5? Specifically, the disc games. I’d rather have digital copies instead.
Never tried it, but I have seen people say that GameStop does not allow you to break bundles like that. Return all or nothing.

wow no touch my unit at $250.
Worst case can trade it at gamestop for $200 credit towards new console.

I listed my xbox one X the day the pricing for the Xbox series S was made public. Sold it the next day for $300. I knew the longer I waited, the greater chance people will just go for the series S.

Decided not to sell my ps4 pro because it's the Death Stranding edition. Might be collectable at some point. Still have the gold Taco Bell ps4 sealed in its box for same reason. :p

Question...

You could always "trade" it in and get like a few bucks back. But as far as full cost for an unopened product, very doubtful.

This really may not belong here, but does anyone know if the version of spider man that comes with the miles morales ultimate edition is a digital download code, and will it need the miles morales disc to play it? Thinking of downloading Spider-Man, then selling the miles morales game.

This really may not belong here, but does anyone know if the version of spider man that comes with the miles morales ultimate edition is a digital download code, and will it need the miles morales disc to play it? Thinking of downloading Spider-Man, then selling the miles morales game.
99% sure you’ll need the disc in to play HD Spider-man.

Finally sold my 1TB PS4 Pro today, after dealing with a few flakes and scammers was able to sell it using Facebook Marketplace for $360, threw in a wireless charger and a couple games. Fingers crossed my PS5 preorder doesn’t get delayed or cancelled.

Finally sold my 1TB PS4 Pro today, after dealing with a few flakes and scammers was able to sell it using Facebook Marketplace for $360, threw in a wireless charger and a couple games. Fingers crossed my PS5 preorder doesn’t get delayed or cancelled.
Good to hear. I think I might sell my last of us pro a few weeks after I receive the ps5. It should maintain its value.....?

Good to hear. I think I might sell my last of us pro a few weeks after I receive the ps5. It should maintain its value.....?
Seems like there are buyers who are aware of the PS5 but don’t want to pony up $500 for it, so the Pro is a good compromise at under $400. I threw in a new copy of Spider-man and a disc-only copy of Prey, but I think adding a few games can also entice buyers to spend a bit more. I’m debating how to list my X1X because it’s a Scorpio, so that should bring a bit more but I also don’t think the average buyer has much awareness of LE’s vs standard consoles. Guess we’ll see with that ... also more hesitant to sell it anytime soon since I don’t have a Series X locked in yet.

Anyone going bat**** crazy on the amount they spend on gaming the week the system releases? (This is sort of a “what are you getting launch week?” post)

I’m getting:
PS5 console
Demon’s Souls
Miles Morales Ultimate
AC Valhalla Gold

Series X console
Black Ops Cold War
Gears Tactics

Easily the craziest week I’ll be spending on gaming ever.

Ha it depends on console yeah that's crazy money. If you're talking pc that's bush league considering the total is still less than the RTX 3090. I'm in for the PS5 and Demon's Souls. I have Cyberpunk 2077 coming the week after (supposing it makes it's release date).

Ha it depends on console yeah that's crazy money. If you're talking pc that's bush league considering the total is still less than the RTX 3090. I'm in for the PS5 and Demon's Souls. I have Cyberpunk 2077 coming the week after (supposing it makes it's release date).
Yeah Cyberpunk counts, probably going to be the most played game on the next gen consoles for awhile lol.

Are you getting the ps4 version?

bread's done
Back