Playstation 5 Re-stock Thread

If you buy the ps5 100% on your Amex card they will give you an extra years worth of coverage at no cost to you. So if it breaks you can call Amex and they will replace any electronics purchase or give you your money back if it can’t be replaced. It’s part of your member perks. Even free Amex cards have it.
Nice, I didn't know that thanks!

Thanks for the update. Just FYI the guy spreading misinformation got banned.
When did that happen? Dude was definitely getting on some nerves, but not sure anything escalated to ban-worthy behavior.

Unless, of course, he really was an alt, which would be hilarious.

Depends how much $50 is worth to you but clicking chat is like playing a slot machine: just keep pulling that lever until you get a jackpot.
If your asking for something borderline or against policy and they say no, should just leave it at that. Not sure that’s the case here, and just my personal outlook, but I’m pretty sure they can see chat history?

Last edited by a moderator:
Any hope of GameStop getting more standard units before year's end?
Yes of course. Might have a hard time finding one till late Jan or even March depending on how popular the system is. I’d like a series x as well and I know those will be in short supply due to production issues.

Yes of course. Might have a hard time finding one till late Jan or even March depending on how popular the system is. I’d like a series x as well and I know those will be in short supply due to production issues.
Bummer as want to use trade in credit accumulated to help brother in getting one(rather the credit instead of actual cash) since I bought one myself. Guessing best thing to do at this point is just to keep building until it's easy to get

Bummer as want to use trade in credit accumulated to help brother in getting one(rather the credit instead of actual cash) since I bought one myself. Guessing best thing to do at this point is just to keep building until it's easy to get
Someone on here use to have a Google doc with real time updates of GameStop story inventory for hard to find items like Nintendo switches, amibos, etc. I got a switch the week it came out that way. Wish someone would revise that!!!!

Someone on here use to have a Google doc with real time updates of GameStop story inventory for hard to find items like Nintendo switches, amibos, etc. I got a switch the week it came out that way. Wish someone would revise that!!!!
Here's to hoping that will come back,one way or another

Thinking about the expandable SSD storage again today....man it would be really wise to wait for a hardware revision and a larger on-board SSD if you can.  825 GB is simply not enough.  Plus those aftermarket expandable models are going to cost nearly half as much again as the PS5 system, and that's just for 1 TB.  Seems like most people are going to have to get by with the stock SSD space;  that's just too much money to spend.

We're entering the $800 range.  That's before any games or extra controllers.  Storage space is where the manufacturers reallllllly skimped this time around.  Of course they did it to save on costs but it's still a very poor value proposition to consumers. 

For people whom don't know, during the past one year costs have not come down at all on PCIe 3.0 and 4.0 NVMe drives.  They were cheapest shortly after last black Friday, went up before Christmas, and then remained at that premium from January forward.  All while under numerous industry insider reports last year that "flash memory prices are crashing,  there is a huge oversupply; the price of SSDs will be coming down".  That never happened, and that was well before the pandemic hit. 

Don't count on those prices getting cheaper.  We're also talking about super-premium SSDs that don't even exist for sale right now with 5,500mps speeds.   I have trouble imagining that the system is going to require PCIe 4.0++ speeds only.  The two previous gens of stuff haven't gotten cheaper at all and these won't either.   Not for the first couple of years at least. 

Thinking about the expandable SSD storage again today....man it would be really wise to wait for a hardware revision and a larger on-board SSD if you can. 825 GB is simply not enough. Plus those aftermarket expandable models are going to cost nearly half as much again as the PS5 system, and that's just for 1 TB. Seems like most people are going to have to get by with the stock SSD space; that's just too much money to spend.

We're entering the $800 range. That's before any games or extra controllers. Storage space is where the manufacturers reallllllly skimped this time around. Of course they did it to save on costs but it's still a very poor value proposition to consumers.

For people whom don't know, during the past one year costs have not come down even a single cent on PCIe 3.0 and 4.0 NVMe drives. They were cheapest shortly after last black Friday, went up before Christmas, and then remained at that premium from January forward. All while under numerous industry insider reports last year that "flash memory prices are crashing, there is a huge oversupply; the price of SSDs will be coming down". That never happened, and that was well before the pandemic hit.

Don't count on those prices getting cheaper. We're also talking about super-premium SSDs that don't even exist for sale right now with 5,500 mbs speeds. I have trouble imagining that the system is going to require only 5.0+ speeds. The two previous gens of stuff haven't gotten cheaper at all and these won't either. Not for the first couple of years at least.
COVID really screwed things up. You can’t judge prices off of this year as manufacturers can’t ramp up production, add shifts, etc. Prices will go down as the world becomes normal again. Solid state memory prices being high and in low supply has hurt the entire tech industry.

COVID really screwed things up. You can’t judge prices off of this year as manufacturers can’t ramp up production, add shifts, etc. Prices will go down as the world becomes normal again. Solid state memory prices being high and in low supply has hurt the entire tech industry.
You don't get it. This has been going on since well before COVID as I stated. I have been following the prices of PC parts very closely for the last three years. Prices have not come down at all on PCIe 3.0 or 4.0 NVMe SSDs during the previous 1.5 years, which was well before COVID. The pandemic seems like an eternity but it has only been going on for the last seven months. Retailers have also never been undersupplied on SSDs either, as opposed to almost every other major pc component which has seen shortages.

There has been market manipulation and collusion by the several manufacturers in order to not crash the prices of flash memory, and maintain a high pricing floor. 1TB of 3,000-3,500 mps PCIe 3.0 drives have been holding steady at $125-$135 prices for well over one year. In spite of a well-documented oversupply of flash memory and imminent price crashing (which never happened) among industry sources.

Anyways....tl;dr:

My main point is:  anytime you read an article or a headline stating "The price of flash memory is crashing / SSDs are going to be getting cheaper"  that it is 100% complete bullshit speculation.  Because that's been the story in tech news during the previous two years since spring 2019 and yet it never materialized. 

That is the point I want to drive home.  Also that we are talking about a super-premium, new release flash memory product that is not even available yet. So price decreases ain't happening on PS5 expandable storage anytime in the foreseeable future. 

Not unless they let us use much cheaper previous gen, slower 3.0 NVMe SSD's.  That is the big 'if'. 

You don't get it. This has been going on since well before COVID as I stated. I have been following the prices of PC parts very closely for the last three years. Prices have not come down at all on PCIe 3.0 or 4.0 NVMe SSDs during the previous 1.5 years, which was well before COVID. The pandemic seems like an eternity but it has only been going on for the last seven months. Retailers have also never been undersupplied on SSDs either, as opposed to almost every other major pc component which has seen shortages.

There has been market manipulation and collusion by the several manufacturers in order to not crash the prices of flash memory, and maintain a high pricing floor. 1TB of 3,000-3,500 mps PCIe 3.0 drives have been holding steady at $125-$135 prices for well over one year. In spite of a well-documented oversupply of flash memory and imminent price crashing (which never happened) among industry sources.
Nah you may not know how supply and demand works. No business deliberately would ever want a shortage when there is high demand. COVID impacted manufacturing around Dec or sooner.

Anyone here have a LG CX OLED tv? I'm bout to break on a new tv and got it down to either the 65 LG or Sony x900h in 65 or 75.

Currently have a 55 x900f and it's been pretty good. Only complaint is artifacts around motion sometimes if I turn on motion interpolation for smoothness on low fps games.

I have the LG CX55. Best TV I’ve ever owned. What do you want to know?
Basically nervous about oled burn in since all it would be used for is gaming for me.
And curious how it handles motion. My panasonic plasma spoiled me years ago and haven't been able to find one as good with motion in a 4k hdr.

Motion is great. No difference between my 144 gaming monitor and the LG when playing on a PS4 pro.

There is a game mode setting that can be selected per input and you can turn on amd free sync (after you update the software) for each input.

HDR is amazing and the black levels are fantastic. The overall picture is stunning.

I haven’t had issues with burn in - and after a lot of research the sheer number of hours you would need to keep it turned on for this to happen is unlikely. I’ve accidentally fallen asleep with it on all night and have never worried about it. You can also set it to turn on a screensaver if you are worried - it automatically does this for some things (like when you are in their apps menu).

I play all sorts of games - COD MW, Rocket League, RPGs and action titles. I have it hooked up to Xbox One S, PS4 pro, Apple TV 4K, and an HDMI switch box that has a SEGA mini, nes mini and snes mini connected to it.

The Apple TV is redundant though since the LG has the Apple TV built in - I tend to just use this for convenience. The only app that I use that it doesn’t have is HBO go - so I get this through the Apple TV.

It has Alexa built in which is kind of cool and I can literally control every room and light in the house with the remote or voice since every room has Hue bulbs. This is fun to play with - but it’s easier to just tell my echo dot to control the lights.

I did have a remote go bad on me - and LG replaced it (no charge) in about a week. The LG app is pretty basic, but worked well enough as a backup remote until I received the replacement.

The sound from the TV, especially the “AI Sound Pro” mode is impressive - though I do have it running through a Vizio Dolby Atmos sound bar (using HDMI ARC) with rear speakers and sub that sounds amazing. The TV remote automatically controls everything when this is all setup. But sometimes I just use the TV sound and it’s plenty loud enough and sounds good.

Overall I’m extremely happy with it and highly recommend it.

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-1tb-aorus-gen4/p/N82E16820009018?&quicklink=true&nm_mc=AFC-RAN-COM&cm_mmc=AFC-RAN-COM&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-Cheap+Ass+Gamer&AFFID=1324061&AFFNAME=Cheap+Ass+Gamer&ACRID=1&ASUBID=&ASID=&ranMID=44583&ranEAID=1324061&ranSiteID=FKSJxY2VJAk-LMasXojn5si4I32OA2lSYA

Nah you may not know how supply and demand works. No business deliberately would ever want a shortage when there is high demand. COVID impacted manufacturing around Dec or sooner.
Laughs in Nintendo.

Anyone here have a LG CX OLED tv? I'm bout to break on a new tv and got it down to either the 65 LG or Sony x900h in 65 or 75.

Currently have a 55 x900f and it's been pretty good. Only complaint is artifacts around motion sometimes if I turn on motion interpolation for smoothness on low fps games.
As for TV's I have used this site for my last two TV purchases and have not been let down.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/video-gaming

I ended up going with a 75" Samsung Q80 and could not be happier with it.

Overall I’m extremely happy with it and highly recommend it.
Wow. Thanks for all the info. Now to wait for a good deal on it.
Main reason the sony was winning for me was I could go with a 75 for same price, or 65 for way cheaper. But I do really want to experience why everyone says oled is best.

Ever heard of Nintendo?
People think of Nintendo as a big company but they aren’t when compared against Sony and Microsoft. Also, they have an unwillingness to take on debt and expand operations. They’d rather work with what they got. It’s a very Japanese way of doing business. That being said had COVID not happen you wouldn’t have seen switch shortages. Also even a company like Nintendo will work things out. The only thing they’re really bad at stocking is limited run items. They take words limited a bit too seriously. We as westerns have gotten use to limited editions not actually being too limited.

When something is advertised as limited it should actually be limited in quantity. The term is used so loosely in our capitalistic society.

Unless there is some sort of mistake that even the most limited big studio game is still fairly easy to find (digital games make that evenless of an issue). Hardware is a little different due to the time it takes to ramp up production but even then that's a short term shortage. The new systems are going to be hot ticket items but more from early adopters. I can't think of many games (Dark Souls) that made me want to get the PS5.

People think of Nintendo as a big company but they aren’t when compared against Sony and Microsoft. Also, they have an unwillingness to take on debt and expand operations. They’d rather work with what they got. It’s a very Japanese way of doing business. That being said had COVID not happen you wouldn’t have seen switch shortages. Also even a company like Nintendo will work things out. The only thing they’re really bad at stocking is limited run items. They take words limited a bit too seriously. We as westerns have gotten use to limited editions not actually being too limited.
Nintendo absolutely plays it safe and can weather any storm for it, but fails to grow as a company for it. Being exorbitantly flush with cash doesn't mean much when your ambitions are extremely shallow. Scrooge McDuck, essentially.

And limited in Japanese means not everyone gets one. Their culture honors rarity and not being able to have it all.

Is there a way to pre order ps5 digital copies currently? I couldn't find anything on the psn store or thru the ps4 itself. 

Nintendo absolutely plays it safe and can weather any storm for it, but fails to grow as a company for it. Being exorbitantly flush with cash doesn't mean much when your ambitions are extremely shallow. Scrooge McDuck, essentially.

And limited in Japanese means not everyone gets one. Their culture honors rarity and not being able to have it all.
I worked as a financial planner and analyst for several years at a fortune 40 global Japanese company. The business I worked for even owned Japan’s largest bank and were totally unwilling to take out any loans. If business goes bad they expect everyone to take a pay cut or accept minimum wages till the business recovers financially. Crazy stuff man. Basically a lot of well run Japanese business play it safe.

Is there any reason to preorder the ps5 miles morales? That preorder page mentions that you get it free with the ps4 version. Seems like the better deal to just preorder on ps4 and get both versions.

I worked as a financial planner and analyst for several years at a fortune 40 global Japanese company. The business I worked for even owned Japan’s largest bank and were totally unwilling to take out any loans. If business goes bad they expect everyone to take a pay cut or accept minimum wages till the business recovers financially. Crazy stuff man. Basically a lot of well run Japanese business play it safe.
I suspect you will continue to see this greatly increase for American businesses, especially small, with “Covid” as the excuse long past the time the pandemic runs its course.

Is there any reason to preorder the ps5 miles morales? That preorder page mentions that you get it free with the ps4 version. Seems like the better deal to just preorder on ps4 and get both versions.
That's what I'm thinking with all the free upgrade games. It just makes more sense to get the PS4 version and then buy the upgrade to the Ultimate Edition on PS5 to get the Remaster.

You might not know how supply and demand works.

You might not know how supply and demand works.
No I do, manufacturing companies use the concept of future shipments and back ordering to deal with demand/supply lumpiness. Would you like to share a case study for the group?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say no store is doing a midnight release during a pandemic.
Would be a common thought, and probably the same thought that those stores will have. However, if you think about it more, a midnight launch would actually be far better for the launch of a highly anticipated item. This is due to the fact that at that midnight launch you have the capability to designate that everyone will be given slips and they must wait and only 2 people can enter the store at a time. Alternatively, they will be brought their item to their vehicle if they pre-ordered. The reason this is far superior with the pandemic in mind is because there will be a launch day and on that day you’ll have all of those same people storming the store, except being regular hours that store will be filled with people not at all looking for said launch item.

I doubt it. Stores opening earlier then usual on those launch days is more likely. It's just easier to do instead of having staff stay late waiting for midnight. Especially with a lot of stores closing earlier due to Covid.

bread's done
Back