Playstation 5 Re-stock Thread

From a technical aspect (which I'm no expert in), the big question is if the system's GPU is RDNA 2 architecture or not, which matters quite a bit because AMD recently revealed their RDNA2 GPUs and looks to finally go toe-to-toe with NVidia after years of trailing them. Officially, the PS5 does have RDNA 2 on paper but depending on where you look, at best there's speculation that it is RDNA 2 but does not have all the features and at worse, it's actually a very advanced version of RDNA 1.

From a non-technical aspect, Demon Souls Remake does not run at a native 4K 60fps from what I've seen. For what's the only true first party PS5 title (Miles is more of an upgrade from the PS4 engine vs being built from the ground up for the PS5 and Astro doesn't really look like a graphics powerhouse), not being able to hit true 4K is kind of a big miss IMO. But shit, I won't lie- Horizon 2 looks better than anything I've seen on SX and given how the PS4 launch games didn't exactly wow me and how Sony's first party studios are masters of pushing hardware- I can look past this eventually).
Yeah, that was way over my head.

Probably the fakest news out there. Lol nobody has really questioned the PS5’s power (yet) and most BC games run better on PS5.
What not sure specifically you're talking about being the fakest news, but everything I've said is speculative obviously since nobody knows what either system of capable of. But I've seen more hardware related ?s on the PS5 vs the SX.

And as for BC games, I was specifically talking about BC on PS5 vs SX. Not PS5 vs PS4 (where no shit, they run better on PS5). Gamespot did a loading analysis and given how PS5 biggest advantage was supposed to be the SSD, again, not a good look when SX beats the PS5 in many games.

https://www.gamespot.com/videos/playstation-5-vs-xbox-series-x-load-times-comparison/2300-6454169/

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an FYI, I was able to get the PS5 headset at Walmart even though all of the Walmart’s said out of stock all around me. I think it’s the only one, but worth checking if you are going there anyway and want one.

They didn’t have it where most of the gaming stuff was, it was in the middle aisle that had mostly pc stuff and hard drives.
Same here. The had the tag but nothing in the case. I asked the associate and he found they had two in the back. Now to decide if I want to sell my Arctis 7...

What not sure specifically you're talking about being the fakest news, but everything I've said is speculative obviously since nobody knows what either system of capable of. But I've seen more hardware related ?s on the PS5 vs the SX.

And as for BC games, I was specifically talking about BC on PS5 vs SX. Not PS5 vs PS4 (where no shit, they run better on PS5). Gamespot did a loading analysis and given how PS5 biggest advantage was supposed to be the SSD, again, not a good look when SX beats the PS5 in many games.
https://www.gamespot.com/videos/playstation-5-vs-xbox-series-x-load-times-comparison/2300-6454169/
Why is that not a good look?

If 2 second longer loading times is a question of concern for anyone then it’s true that the younger generations on this planet will whine about anything.

Yes, old games will load faster on the XSX/XSS than on PS5 because Microsoft's nextgen loading API works for BC titles whereas PS5's is only for next-gen. I look forward to seeing the load comparisons for those next-gen titles though.

I never bought a 4K tv so I never bought a PS4 Pro and I have a big backlog of PS4 games.  I just went full stupid and bought a 55" CX so hopefully I'll actually get one of my two PS5 preorders and I can be a covid hermit this winter and just sit in my room staring at my too expensive tv.  If I had a Pro already and had played most of my PS4 games instead of buying them on sale and then sitting waiting until I got a 4K tv which I have said I would do for, oh, at least the last four years, I probably would not have cared about the PS5 launch at all.  Not worth paying over $600 just to play one game, but Demon Souls + a ton of backlogged PS4 games in 4K actually has me a lot more excited than I was for the PS4 launch.

From my.time researching tvs on rtings and reddit, you DONT want the Frame, tu-8000, nanocell, or x800h.
Seems like the concesus is get LG Cx, samsung q90t or q80t, sony x900h, or if you cant afford those the tcl r635.
Im no expert tho so do what you want. lol
What’s wrong with the LG Nano? I feel like rtings and other YouTube reviewers are far too critical. The reviews are good everywhere else. I mean; there really aren’t a lot of affordable options for a tv that checks off all the boxes, including TWO HDMI 2.1 ports. One for each new console. Seems like a no-brainer to me. Plus the whole “burn-in” potential on OLED, even though I’ve heard is much better now, still scares me away to not want to take that risk of spending that much to have it happen.

Why is that not a good look?

If 2 second longer loading times is a question of concern for anyone then it’s true that the younger generations on this planet will whine about anything.
LOL I'm not young by any means.

Sony made a huge deal about how fast their SSD is (I think it's almost twice as fast as SX's SSD based on specs) and yet, it's performing slower than the SX of these games. And it was 2 seconds in RDR but much higher in other games, FF15 was 22 slower, Monster Hunter World and Destiny 2 were ~15 seconds slower, Arkham Knight was 9 seconds slower.

Like not being as capable as the SX in terms of graphics, I don't care that much about but for the storage speed I would have expected to at least match the SX for last gen games. I guess it's worth mentioning Sony did update their first party games for the PS5 so third parties might be able close the gap with updates but who knows if they'll bother.

But whatever- not trying to convince you otherwise, just giving my 2 cents. Just debating internally on whether buying the console day 1 is for me when it comes to pros and cons and I'm at a toss up right now.

Sony made a huge deal about how fast their SSD is (I think it's almost twice as fast as SX's SSD based on specs) and yet, it's performing slower than the SX of these games. And it was 2 seconds in RDR but much higher in other games, FF15 was 22 slower, Monster Hunter World and Destiny 2 were ~15 seconds slower, Arkham Knight was 9 seconds slower.

Like not being as capable as the SX in terms of graphics, I don't care that much about but for the storage speed I would have expected to at least match the SX for last gen games. I guess it's worth mentioning Sony did update their first party games for the PS5 so third parties might be able close the gap with updates but who knows if they'll bother.

But whatever- not trying to convince you otherwise, just giving my 2 cents. Just debating internally on whether buying the console day 1 is for me when it comes to pros and cons and I'm at a toss up right now.
I don't know if you understood me before, so let me try restating: the PS5 SSD's special features features are literally not active in any of those games. They told us that they wouldn't be way back in March. The PS5 SSD performs like a standard SSD in BC titles. Their 'making a big deal' only referred to how the SSD would work with games designed to work with its features, AKA PS5 native games. Every game tested is a BC title, not one that can actually use the PS5's SSD.

That does mean XSX has better BC. It has better BC in a lot of ways though; this is an uncontested fact.

Instead of focusing on buying a slew of new PS5 titles, I think people should be more focused on banking that money to upgrade their televisions. New hardware is where its at right now; not brand new software. People are wastefully sinking hundreds of dollars into extra controllers, accessories, peripherals, expensive bundles, and $70 games when that money would be better-spent on upgrading their televisions instead. So many people haven't experienced true HDR yet. It will change your life.
Are there any good ones that are about 40-43 inches that aren’t over $600? Or to get a big difference to you have to spend like $1,000+

To answer my own question about the Gamestop order bundles with Destruction All Stars; They just charged my card and charged the amount minus the delayed game. That's a best case scenario for me since I didn't want the game anyways.

Are there any good ones that are about 40-43 inches that aren’t over $600? Or to get a big difference to you have to spend like $1,000+
Make sure you compare the specs when going below 55” ... I noticed that many models lose features as well size in the 40-43-50” range

What’s wrong with the LG Nano? I feel like rtings and other YouTube reviewers are far too critical. The reviews are good everywhere else. I mean; there really aren’t a lot of affordable options for a tv that checks off all the boxes, including TWO HDMI 2.1 ports. One for each new console. Seems like a no-brainer to me. Plus the whole “burn-in” potential on OLED, even though I’ve heard is much better now, still scares me away to not want to take that risk of spending that much to have it happen.
No idea whats wrong with the nano personally, never looked into that tv. I just know reddit always says dont buy it. You are right, every tv has some problems, none are perfect. Im probably going for x900h out of all the ones i mentioned. lg cx could get burn in, samsung might have dirty screen effect, tcl is panel lottery, sony seems best bang for the buck.

Make sure you compare the specs when going below 55” ... I noticed that many models lose features as well size in the 40-43-50” range
I’ve been reading that it looks at that small of a screen (43 inch) you can’t get that much of a difference/benefit with different models. If anyone knows differently let me know, I’m trying to get one in my gaming room, anything bigger than 43 inch would probably burn my eyes out with the set up lol.

Got my controller and media remote but the charging dock at Target keeps getting kicked back. After two delays it is now simply Nov 6 ~ 20th. Console is still listed as preorder 13th ~ 18th. If it's anything like the controller though I will get a message on Tuesday that will simply say ETA Thursday. Luckily Target seems to be using UPS for orders to my place because FedEx is just awful.
Same. I ordered one for local pickup at Best Buy on the 12th early this morning since it was in-stock. BB also charged me for the PS5 pickup on launch day, so I officially have one waiting. Not sure wtf is going on at Target, but they blew it.

You get what you pay for when it comes to TVs. You need to make a moderate investment in order to get good HDR results. The visual improvements have almost nothing to do with 4K resolution and everything to do with High Dynamic Range. The 55" Sony 900H for $899 is what I would recommend for a solid benchmark level of noticeable 4K HDR improvement.

Below that you've got the value TCL 6-series. But as one user posted above, he didn't think the improvement on that set was noteworthy.

The LG nano and the Sony 800H and below don't have sufficient levels of brightness / HDR / color contrast.

Most noteworthy sets are also 55" and above, and you really almost need that size to get noticeable improvements with 4K resolution. The only high-end model that comes in a smaller size is the 48" LG CX.

I'm waiting for more tvs to be compatible with hdmi 2.1 and output at 120hz (no gimmicks). It'll probably be another year for those to really be affordable. I doubt you'll find a tv with those specs under 55". I suppose monitors are out there but finding them above 24" for a decent price would be difficult.

You get what you pay for when it comes to TVs. You need to make a moderate investment in order to get good HDR results. The visual improvements have almost nothing to do with 4K resolution and everything to do with High Dynamic Range. The 55" Sony 900H for $899 is what I would recommend for a starting level of noticeable 4K HDR improvement.

Below that you've got the value TCL 6-series. But as one user posted above, he didn't think the improvement on that set was noteworthy.

The LG nano and the Sony 800H and below don't have sufficient levels of brightness / HDR / color contrast.

Most noteworthy sets are also 55" and above, and you really almost need that size to get noticeable improvements with the image resolution. The only high-end model that comes in a smaller size is the 48" LG CX.
What tv do you have right now and what tv do you consider as a mid level tv?

What tv do you have right now and what tv do you consider as a mid level tv?
I have a Sony 930E from 2017. The 1500 nits peak brightness makes for excellent HDR. It was the same price as an LG B7 or C7 when I purchased it, but I prefer a strong LCD. I initially bought the Sony 900E and was so impressed with it, but I really wanted that higher brightness and better built-in speakers. So I exchanged it for the 930E and am 110% satisfied to this day. Brightness and color contrast are the most important aspects of a high-end set. I'd consider the 900H the top of the mid-range, which is what you really want to shoot for.

The 950H is really the best 4K HDR set for your money but the problem is that it doesn't do HDMI 2.1! :headache: LCD technology has only regressed since 2017 and fallen into cheaper price and performance brackets. Nothing is better than the 2016-17 Sony Z9D (among LCDs) if you can pick one up on the secondary market. However, people also want HDMI 2.1 for gaming now (G-sync capability at 120Hz).

I was going to wait too but the ps collection, and potentially another stay at home order made the decision easy for me.

I have a Sony 930E from 2017. The 1500 nits peak brightness makes for excellent HDR. It was the same price as an LG B7 or C7 when I purchased it, but I prefer a strong LCD. I initially bought the Sony 900E and was so impressed with it, but I really wanted that higher brightness and better built-in speakers. So I exchanged it for the 930E and am 100% satisfied to this day. Brightness and color contrast are the most important aspects of a high-end set. I'd consider the 900H the top of the mid-range, which is what you really want to shoot for.

The 950H is really the best 4K HDR set for your money but the problem is that it doesn't do HDMI 2.1! :headache: LCD technology has only regressed since 2017 and fallen into cheaper price and performance brackets. Nothing is better than the 2016-17 Sony Z9D (among LCDs) if you can pick one up on the secondary market.
Thanks, I'll keep those model in mind. The price seems very reasonable to me. I thought a decent one would be more pricey.

Thanks, I'll keep those model in mind. The price seems very reasonable to me. I thought a decent one would be more pricey.
Exactly!!! The point is that it is amazing what kind of 4K HDR performance you can get for $1000 now.

The other thing is that almost anything you spend above the $225-$599 TCL 4, 5, and 6-series really isn't worth it until you get to that level. Those mid-range Sony and Samsung sets are complete busts and there's almost no point in buying one.

I don't think any console is worth buying day one, really. Most people do it for FOMO.

I'm sorry, but the storage situation on the PS5 is a big big problem. You'll get 5-6 games max on there right now, and obviously no external storage for them ready atm.

The problem is, when say a 4 TB or 8 TB option that is compatible with PS5 does become available it'll cost like 2 times the system itself.

That's why I'm actually buying all my cross-compatible games on PS4 for right now, and the PS5 exclusives I'll buy on PS5. Otherwise, it'll be doing a lot of deleting and reinstalling, and I'm just not into all that nonsense.

Yup I think it’s fine to get the ps5 now. We’re just gonna be waiting a bit for bigger SSD to become cheaper once they’re out. I mean cool for those who got money and buying those expandable ssds right now but not a smart move imo

You get what you pay for when it comes to TVs. You need to make a moderate investment in order to get good HDR results. The visual improvements have almost nothing to do with 4K resolution and everything to do with High Dynamic Range. The 55" Sony 900H for $899 is what I would recommend for a solid benchmark level of noticeable 4K HDR improvement.

Most noteworthy sets are also 55" and above, and you really almost need that size to get noticeable improvements with 4K resolution. The only high-end model that comes in a smaller size is the 48" LG CX.
I realize this, but I also don’t want to pay over a grand, and I don’t want OLED.

That Sony 900h looks good. Same price as the Nano, but better! And it does appear it has 2 HDMI 2.1 ports and has recently updated via firmware. Thank you - this may be my new TV!

Yes, I am shooting for 55”.

I realize this, but I also don’t want to pay over a grand, and I don’t want OLED.

That Sony TV 900h doesn’t have any HDMI 2.1 ports, so that’s out.

Sony x900h has two HDMI 2.1 ports (ports 3 and 4)

I'm sorry, but the storage situation on the PS5 is a big big problem. You'll get 5-6 games max on there right now, and obviously no external storage for them ready atm.
It is a very big disappointment. I certainly wouldn't be budgeting for a $150-200 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD.

If getting extra storage space is a major concern for someone then I would definitely wait for a hardware revision.

Sony x900h has two HDMI 2.1 ports (ports 3 and 4)
Yeah; I see that now. The pictures don’t specifically say on the back of the TV like the Nano does. Edited my post. I see they recently released a firmware update to support it. Good thing is it’s around the same price of the Nano. This may be my TV!

I don't know if you understood me before, so let me try restating: the PS5 SSD's special features features are literally not active in any of those games. They told us that they wouldn't be way back in March. The PS5 SSD performs like a standard SSD in BC titles. Their 'making a big deal' only referred to how the SSD would work with games designed to work with its features, AKA PS5 native games. Every game tested is a BC title, not one that can actually use the PS5's SSD.

That does mean XSX has better BC. It has better BC in a lot of ways though; this is an uncontested fact.
I didn't see your earlier post since I wasn't quoted/didn't get the notification and instead just jumped to who quoted me but interesting point, I had just assumed the PS5's SSD would simply make everything faster.

Yeah; I see that now. The pictures don’t specifically say on the back of the TV like the Nano does. Edited my post. I see they recently released a firmware update to support it. Good thing is it’s around the same price of the Nano. This may be my TV!
Im planning on picking one up during black friday.

That Sony 900h looks good. Same price as the Nano, but better! And it does appear it has 2 HDMI 2.1 ports and has recently updated via firmware. Thank you - this may be my new TV!

I have the 900h and an LG CX. I love my OLED but the 900H is damn close in picture quality in real life application. Plus no burn in fears.

I got the 65” from Costco for $969. It was a steal at that price.

900h is an outstanding TV. Get it if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't see your earlier post since I wasn't quoted/didn't get the notification and instead just jumped to who quoted me but interesting point, I had just assumed the PS5's SSD would simply make everything faster.
No problem dude, I just thought I did a bad job of explaining it.

You're not wrong to assume that it makes everything faster, it just doesn't make non-native PS5 software go as fast as PS5 software will. The difference is that Xbox rewrote their API functions that they used in Xbox One, so when they're called by Xbox One games, they're calling the next-gen architecture. Sony did not; they just wrote a new API that can only be used with new games.

There's some cost-benefits there... Essentially, Xbox BC is going to be better, but it's going to cripple their next-gen stuff a little bit because it's not a fundamentally new process that old software couldn't use. PS5 is using a completely new computing paradigm basically.

BTW, whoever said you can only install 5-6 games? I did a bunch of math in the PS5 thread. You can install 10 major launch titles and still have 100 GB leftover, so this simply isn't true. The PS5 game size average is actually 50 GB (ranges from 133GB to 11GB); so you can install about 13~.

I'd love to grab the sony 900h but need a 55 inch, the 65 would be too big for my space. They just don't seem to want to discount the 55 inch so will probably just stick with my TCL for awhile longer.

I'd love to grab the sony 900h but need a 55 inch, the 65 would be too big for my space. They just don't seem to want to discount the 55 inch so will probably just stick with my TCL for awhile longer.
Always go as big as you can with a TV. You will always regret going with the smaller one.

What's people doing as far as ps5 games shopping

Godfall seems to be the most interesting but 70$ for it, dayum

Always go as big as you can with a TV. You will always regret going with the smaller one.

Yeah I currently have a 55 inch and as much as I'd love a bigger TV I think a 65 inch would be too big, but should probably do some measuring to be sure.

Yeah I currently have a 55 inch and as much as I'd love a bigger TV I think a 65 inch would be too big, but should probably do some measuring to be sure.
For sure measure. Conceptually it sounds way bigger. In practice it’s really not. Good luck with the TV. You’re gonna love it.

Bonus: if you enjoy smart tv features on a TV Sony uses Android tv and it’s the best. I have the LG CX, the Samsung 90T, and the Sony 900H and its beats the other two in smart tv features, ease of use, and smoothness.

What's people doing as far as ps5 games shopping

Godfall seems to be the most interesting but 70$ for it, dayum
I’m interested in godfall too, but I’m waiting on reviews first. I’m starting with AC valhalla then cyberpunk. After that maybe watchdogs, but honestly it’ll probably be February or March before I’m done with the first two, so who knows

For sure measure. Conceptually it sounds way bigger. In practice it’s really not. Good luck with the TV. You’re gonna love it.

Bonus: if you enjoy smart tv features on a TV Sony uses Android tv and it’s the best. I have the LG CX, the Samsung 90T, and the Sony 900H and its beats the other two in smart tv features, ease of use, and smoothness.

Well which tv do you like best for gaming? Considering motion and general hdr picture.

Got an email about 2 hours ago from PlayStation Direct that my PS5 will ship Wednesday and will be 1 day with fedex

Hoping I get heads up for my order from PS direct, but it's been in "shipping soon" status for like 2 days. I can see the funds being authorized but not showing up yet on my card's credit limit too.

Well which tv do you like best for gaming? Considering motion and general hdr picture.
Can’t really say right now since I don’t have a 120 source. I’ll update on Tuesday if you can wait.

With the current consoles they all look similar to me. At night with lights off the Lg really shines.

Honestly you won’t see a difference unless you put the OLeD against the other TVs side by side in the same room playing the same source. The LG blacks are out of this world.

It’s also different for me game by game. Ghost of sashimi looks amazing on the Samsung.

bread's done
Back