Playstation 5 Re-stock Thread

For the people that have PS5s, are the games that much faster/better looking/etc. on the PS5? I'm looking at some of the games in my backlog, and thinking I'd be better off playing them on a PS5 whenever I get one. I have a basic PS4 and looking at some of these games that I know will have tons of load screens or have PS5 upgrades, it makes me want to put them off for now. How big is the difference?
For non ps5 patched games...

With unlocked framerates, you should see improved frame rates. For locked frame rates, it shouldn't have as many if any dips under the target. For dynamic resolution, you should see resolutions on the higher end nearer to 4k if/when it needs to drop resolution.

Load times might improve but likely not by much. Probably would be similar to using an SSD in a PS4 for PS4 games on PS5.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t get why people upgrade to a ps5 from PS4 pro when they’re still using a 1080p tv. First upgrade ur tv. I upgrade from a base ps4 (launch) and 1080p tv to LG CX 4K tv and ps5. It’s like a whole new experience but now I’m getting used to it n hurts my eyes sometimes lol pretty sure my vision would just get worse n worse. I have it in the bedroom now so it’s close to me and can’t connect directly to my modem so wifi 6 comes in handy. I need to get a wifi 6 range extender soon tho.
Supersampling - though I'm not sure if PS5 somehow offers better support for this than PS4 Pro did. Xbox had better supersampling support last gen at least.

I understand and in the same way there are people that find people like that funny. It’s hilarious to picture someone looking at how much time they’ve played a game and having “fun” doing that. Not what I would consider fun but people find fun in all sorts of weird things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You seem to be triggered by people having fun in their own way. You alright, buddy?

You seem to be triggered by people having fun in their own way. You alright, buddy?
Definitely triggered. What will I do? Can you please help me get over it? Hold me?

Why are you offended that I find it hilarious that you think it’s fun to look at how much you played a game? Lol

Definitely triggered. What will I do? Can you please help me get over it? Hold me?

Why are you offended that I find it hilarious that you think it’s fun to look at how much you played a game? Lol

Just seems odd that this person wanted to share their excitement on something and you reply just to shit all over them.

Just seems odd that this person wanted to share their excitement on something and you reply just to shit all over them.
It’s just funny. Y’all interpreted that as shitting on them. I mean I do a lot of shit people find funny and I don’t mind that they do.

I don’t get why people upgrade to a ps5 from PS4 pro when they’re still using a 1080p tv. First upgrade ur tv. I upgrade from a base ps4 (launch) and 1080p tv to LG CX 4K tv and ps5. It’s like a whole new experience but now I’m getting used to it n hurts my eyes sometimes lol pretty sure my vision would just get worse n worse. I have it in the bedroom now so it’s close to me and can’t connect directly to my modem so wifi 6 comes in handy. I need to get a wifi 6 range extender soon tho.
I’m if you’re using a 1080p screen the 4K image is super sampled in 1080p and looks rather sharp. You’re still getting a generational
Leap in graphics ray tracing, better particles, frame rates, polygons, and better textures. I don’t mind it on 1080p. You can tell the ps5 games look better than the ps4 ones by a long shot.

The only system not worth using on a 1080p screen is the Xbox. For some reason when I’m in 1080p mode the text is unreadable. Like a 360 game on a standard def screen. Haven’t experienced this with the ps5. Must be an Xbox thing. Still love my Xbox and recommended it as a must buy.

I’m if you’re using a 1080p screen the 4K image is super sampled in 1080p and looks rather sharp. You’re still getting a generational
Leap in graphics ray tracing, better particles, frame rates, polygons, and better textures. I don’t mind it on 1080p. You can tell the ps5 games look better than the ps4 ones by a long shot.
The only system not worth using on a 1080p screen is the Xbox. For some reason when I’m in 1080p mode the text is unreadable. Like a 360 game on a standard def screen. Haven’t experienced this with the ps5. Must be an Xbox thing. Still love my Xbox and recommended it as a must buy.
Have you calibrated your tv on the specific input that your Xbox is on?

One good thing about knowing ur play time is to know how long it took u to beat the game. You’d be able to judge if the game is an actual short game or the game had a lot of content and such

The quality of life improvement with the SSD was the part that I appreciate the most. PS4 games that are not optimised still load very fast and makes it hard to go back to a HDD.

The quality of life improvement with the SSD was the part that I appreciate the most. PS4 games that are not optimised still load very fast and makes it hard to go back to a HDD.
This 100%

I will also add that every game should allow unlocked framerates as an option going forward. There are many ps4 games that would easily hit 60 fps on ps5 and can’t because there is no way to unlock from 30 fps.

For example, Dark Souls 3 plays great on ps5 @ 60 fps while NFS Heat makes me sad its locked at 30.

Truthfully, faster loading and going from 30-60 fps would make the ps4/pro obsolete at this point

Finally opened my ps5 I bought to replace my launch unit with coil whine (I was busy playing series x). My assessment of the new ps5...its quieter. The disk drive does not sound like a chain saw, there is no coil whine (woot-woot, my old one could be heard 15/20 feet away), however the fan is marginally louder during game play. Not surprising since Sony is using so many different fans. Overall very happy with the new unit and I’m grateful I had the opportunity to get a second one.

Personally I think it’s pretty ridiculous that these things are still as limited as they are. I honestly thought by now it would be easier to get one. I was wrong lol

Personally I think it’s pretty ridiculous that these things are still as limited as they are. I honestly thought by now it would be easier to get one. I was wrong lol
Not like there’s a pandemic creating supply strains across the board for just about every electronic or anything

I am probably the only one in this thread who has not bought a PS5 yet.

Have tried but had no luck.

Welcome to the club

Also the Pandemic definitely has affected everything but I wouldn’t say it is the sole reason. Mainly online ordering is the big issue with bots and all the bullshit causing issues.

Not falling for the hype. Used to buy plenty of launch consoles over the last couple decades. This is the first I have zero interest. No games, buggy firmware (from what I read here on these very forums), and I feel it's just too damn big. I have zero problem waiting for a bundle, a v2 slim, and/or plenty of exclusive games to be out before I leap. I have a good 20+ PS4 games just waiting for me to play.

Truthfully the only thing that makes me want this is the false scarcity of it, and in my opinion it's just from scalpers. I personally know two people who are looking for it just for the purpose of reselling it. And believe me they got an earful from me.

Not falling for the hype. Used to buy plenty of launch consoles over the last couple decades. This is the first I have zero interest. No games, buggy firmware (from what I read here on these very forums), and I feel it's just too damn big. I have zero problem waiting for a bundle, a v2 slim, and/or plenty of exclusive games to be out before I leap. I have a good 20+ PS4 games just waiting for me to play.

Truthfully the only thing that makes me want this is the false scarcity of it, and in my opinion it's just from scalpers. I personally know two people who are looking for it just for the purpose of reselling it. And believe me they got an earful from me.
Overall I agree but those ps4 games would look a lot better on a ps5. Ghosts of Tsushima is in my backlog and I can't bring myself to play it knowing it runs at locked 60/native 4k on ps5. Starting it up again on ps4 makes me feel bad haha

I'm kind of jelly for how Ghosts runs on the PS5. I have one, but I beat it on a launch PS4 and some times the slowdown was not very good in that game. Still ran decent most of the time. Just a plain gorgeous game with decent enough characters, story and gameplay loop. I'd recommend playing for sure and likely on the PS5. Overrated for sure, but still a solid 7.5/10 game, which in my books is worth playing. I do know I've been working through Judgement which didn't run super well on my PS4, so I do like everything playing well, though I believe the FPS is locked at least there isn't slowdown. PS5 may be my PS4 Proer sometimes, but since I skipped that iteration it's not a bad thing. I'm patiently waiting for the Yakuza Like a Dragon PS5 upgrade before going through that game.......

I mean, not like things will get better at the snap of the fingers - it will probably still take a few months after Christmas for supply to meet demand.

I'm kind of jelly for how Ghosts runs on the PS5. I have one, but I beat it on a launch PS4 and some times the slowdown was not very good in that game. Still ran decent most of the time. Just a plain gorgeous game with decent enough characters, story and gameplay loop. I'd recommend playing for sure and likely on the PS5. Overrated for sure, but still a solid 7.5/10 game, which in my books is worth playing. I do know I've been working through Judgement which didn't run super well on my PS4, so I do like everything playing well, though I believe the FPS is locked at least there isn't slowdown. PS5 may be my PS4 Proer sometimes, but since I skipped that iteration it's not a bad thing. I'm patiently waiting for the Yakuza Like a Dragon PS5 upgrade before going through that game.......
I'm totally stoked to play Ghosts of Tsushima this winter on the PS5. Saving Yakuza: Like a Dragon for the PS5 update release in March too!

Overall I agree but those ps4 games would look a lot better on a ps5. Ghosts of Tsushima is in my backlog and I can't bring myself to play it knowing it runs at locked 60/native 4k on ps5. Starting it up again on ps4 makes me feel bad haha
I just platinumed Tsushima an hour ago after 82 hours!

I could appreciate faster load times or frame rates on a PS5, just not with the pissant 600GB hard drive in it. The first thing I did with my PS4 was put a 2TB internal HDD in it. I won't touch a PS5 until there's at least a 2TB SSD available for it.

Same boat as you. Granted I wasn’t looking that hard since the console release, didn’t even attempt preordering months before.

I was waiting to sell my Switch bundle first (which I did a few days ago), on top of getting rid of a few more things in my game room that could fetch a pretty penny to fund the console. Now I’m all set ready to pay, but can’t find one for the life of me that’s not exorbitantly priced.

Trust me it’s not just hype. I can never go back to ps4. At least the base ps4. I’m playing metal gear solid v and the PS4 version looks trash compared to the ps5. It’s as if I’m playing on a different tv. Fast ssd, better frame rates, old gen is old gen. I never thought faster loading would spoil me this much but it actually is a game changer. Ain’t nobody got time for long ass loading times. The immersion is real. Only problems I have is Ofcourse there’s some problems at launch but no problems now with recent updates. Not being able to use external hdd risk-free and not supporting more than 8tb HDD I didn’t like but not a big deal. It’s actually helping me finish my games one at a time. Also the wifi 6 helps a lot since I’m away from my modem. If ur coming from base ps4 like me, 5ghz wifi on console is a nice change

Yup.  Just because we've reached some diminished returns with graphical performance and things have been stagnant for awhile doesn't mean there aren't big gains to be made in other areas.  A lot of people just don't seem to be familiar with where their performance bottlenecks lie.  I thought it would be fairly apparent by now, with the public outcry and discourse surrounding Cyberpunk 2077 on PS4 and XB1.  Faster processing and SSD read speed IOPs lead to improved (modern) performance. 

SATA SSDs have been aging on PCs for awhile now and we had previous gen consoles running on spinning HDDs  o_O  I mean, my previous PC I built in 2012 had its OS and main games on an SSD.

It's just too bad that these consoles would have been $650-$700 if they had included 2TB NVMe SSDs.

Yup. Just because we've reached some diminished returns with graphical performance and things have been stagnant for awhile doesn't mean there aren't big gains to be made in other areas. A lot of people just don't seem to be familiar with where their performance bottlenecks lie. I thought it would be fairly apparent by now, with the public outcry and discourse surrounding Cyberpunk 2077 on PS4 and XB1. Faster processing and SSD read speed IOPs lead to improved (modern) performance.

SATA SSDs have been aging on PCs for awhile now and we had previous gen consoles running on spinning HDDs o_O I mean, my previous PC I built in 2012 had its OS and main games on an SSD.

It's just too bad that these consoles would have been $650-$700 if they had included 2TB NVMe SSDs.
They are exceptional consoles indeed. My biggest gripes are just things like taping down the external storage of Microsoft's next-gen to $220 external cards, and stuff like that.

My launch PS4 was a piece of trash. I am waiting a year or two before jumping in this time.

Not about hype.

A lot of what you said was true, however this is simply the best way to play PS4 games. Period. This is not debatable. Faster loading. 60 FPS for games that are unlock FR. 4K for many games.

Now it’s about value to the individual. I’m fortunate enough to have enough expendable income that it’s not a big deal. I would say if you can justify spending $200-$250 out of pocket, I’d sell or trade in my PS4 and grab a PS5 in a second if given the opportunity.

Eh, for hype I had none for these; I just wanted them. Now I definitely regret not selling my own when it peaked a week or two before Christmas, and even though I could make a bit of cash now off it--I'm over it.

Just waiting for these game upgrades to roll out for last gen games since there's absolutely no exclusives announced that I care about.

Playstation 5 is a hoax people! I mean think about it, have any of you even seen one in real life? Well I for one am not falling for it!!!

Not about hype.

A lot of what you said was true, however this is simply the best way to play PS4 games. Period. This is not debatable. Faster loading. 60 FPS for games that are unlock FR. 4K for many games.

Now it’s about value to the individual. I’m fortunate enough to have enough expendable income that it’s not a big deal. I would say if you can justify spending $200-$250 out of pocket, I’d sell or trade in my PS4 and grab a PS5 in a second if given the opportunity.
I'm going back and forth with wanting one. Very true that games load faster and this helps BIG TIME with PSVR games. Sadly though, I believe only Blood and Truth got a PS5 upgrade but other games do load faster which helps with the enjoyment. I played Iron Man VR on my PS4 Pro and the load times were the worst of any game I've ever played. Even more brutal considering I had the headset on and couldn't exactly do anything else while I waited and waited and waited for it to load. If the PS5 wasn't so damn big and there were more exclusive games that I couldn't play on my PS4, I might already have one but considering I can play all the games I want to on my PS4 Pro like the new Horizon etc, and the fact that they aren't planning much to make PSVR games look better and run better either than Blood and Truth, I will wait for a slim. Things might change but I really can't get passed how big the system is. So ugly IMO.

Also, I have the Star Wars PS4 Pro and it works fine and is cool looking.

I'm going back and forth with wanting one. Very true that games load faster and this helps BIG TIME with PSVR games. Sadly though, I believe only Blood and Truth got a PS5 upgrade but other games do load faster which helps with the enjoyment. I played Iron Man VR on my PS4 Pro and the load times were the worst of any game I've ever played. Even more brutal considering I had the headset on and couldn't exactly do anything else while I waited and waited and waited for it to load. If the PS5 wasn't so damn big and there were more exclusive games that I couldn't play on my PS4, I might already have one but considering I can play all the games I want to on my PS4 Pro like the new Horizon etc, and the fact that they aren't planning much to make PSVR games look better and run better either than Blood and Truth, I will wait for a slim. Things might change but I really can't get passed how big the system is. So ugly IMO.

Also, I have the Star Wars PS4 Pro and it works fine and is cool looking.
I didn't know until this thread recently that PSVR doesn't really work with the PS5. I have a v2 VR and a small yet decent VR library, most of which are games still in my backlog such as Eagle Flight. More reason to wait on next gen consoles.

I didn't know until this thread recently that PSVR doesn't really work with the PS5. I have a v2 VR and a small yet decent VR library, most of which are games still in my backlog such as Eagle Flight. More reason to wait on next gen consoles.
It does work. Just fill out the form to get the free adapter. You'll need to use a dual shock 4 with it though.

It does work. Just fill out the form to get the free adapter. You'll need to use a dual shock 4 with it though.
Robinson the Journey doesn't work on PS5, not sure why. I made sure to finish it before switching to PS5, but yeah, it's one of the 10 games noted as not being backwards compatible.

bread's done
Back