Playstation 5 Re-stock Thread

It was $50 a month ago at Best Buy.

That said, I bought it then, platinumed it, and I still don't think I would recommend it to most people. There's a huge flaw in how there's only 2 checkpoints in the entire game. Which means, if you don't speedrun, it can take hours a run. Hours that you lose when it crashes or you have a power outage, or want to play another game.

First time through the second half of the game took me 3-4 hours. And then I lost that progress.
Sounds like bad design decisions to prevent cheating with save scumming. Don't make a game without server side support if you're worried about this, devs.

People complaining about paying $60+ a game. I paid $80-90 for new SNES games back in the 90s and you got paid a lot less money per hour  back then than now (I remember minimum wage was $3.35 or so). Granted, I was about 20 and still lived at my parents' house, so I could buy these games back then. But then again, cartridges cost a lot more than discs and we got colored manuals and sometimes maps with the games back in the day.

I hate when people do that. Your experience doesn't invalidate others. Great that you paid $80+ for games. Others still don't want to pay over $60+. 

Been on CAG for a very long time, never paid over MSRP for any game for my personal collection. No reason to. Even back during the SNES days, sales and clearances still went on. 

Sucks that you paid $80+ for games, but others rather not.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would gladly pay $80-90 a game if I could go back to 90's pricing on housing/healthcare/food/college etc as well. That $3.35 had more buying power then than the 7.25 does today.

I understand its everyone's prerogative to not want to pay over a certain amount for games. I'm just saying its much easier now to pay for said games because amount of effort or time worked needed to pay for the game is less. Minimum wage in my state is about to go up to $15 (hell, Whataburger in my area is starting at $16/hr..fast food!). That's roughly 5 hours of work to buy a game if you make minimum wage and most should be making more than that. Of course this should be after paying bills, but still. I had to work many more hours to be able to buy the new games back then. That's all I'm saying. I can easily afford the games these days especially when they are lower priced than back then and we all make more compared to before. But of course, we all love to get deals when we can.

I just feel gaming these days is easier to get into because of websites like this one that didn't exist back in the day sharing constant clearances, sales, coupons, etc., and games actually not increasing in price like I thought they would compared to the 90s. Today's game prices adjusted to inflation compared to then would cost over $100 new, but thankfully they do not.

I hate when people do that. Your experience doesn't invalidate others. Great that you paid $80+ for games. Others still don't want to pay over $60+.

Been on CAG for a very long time, never paid over MSRP for any game for my personal collection. No reason to. Even back during the SNES days, sales and clearances still went on.

Sucks that you paid $80+ for games, but others rather not.
He's saying that was the MSRP for certain games back then. I think Chrono Trigger might have been one of those games, but I wouldn't know since I got that game for $30 in the clearance bin at Walmart back in the day. Also got Suikoden 2 for $20 at Walmart.

He's saying that was the MSRP for certain games back then. I think Chrono Trigger might have been one of those games, but I wouldn't know since I got that game for $30 in the clearance bin at Walmart back in the day. Also got Suikoden 2 for $20 at Walmart.
I understand what he's saying. But choosing to pay MSRP back than doesn't invalidate others not choosing to pay it now even if it's a cheaper MSRP.

While we're at it, let's look at an ad for SNES games from 1993 from TRU. Notice the several games that were on sale, including first party Nintendo titles. Sales and clearances happened back than and I hope people just waited for those instead of shelling out $80+ for any game. Though I'm glad we have CAG now where we can more easily save money now.

1elLh3Qh2EBzUMhvnrHU6vXsC8NCN6Lp-4NriNOIBCU.jpg

People complaining about paying $60+ a game. I paid $80-90 for new SNES games back in the 90s and you got paid a lot less money per hour back then than now (I remember minimum wage was $3.35 or so). Granted, I was about 20 and still lived at my parents' house, so I could buy these games back then. But then again, cartridges cost a lot more than discs and we got colored manuals and sometimes maps with the games back in the day.
Yes, it sounds so stupid when people say "old SNES/PS1 rpgs are so expensive now!" No they aren't. Not even in the slightest. In fact most of those games are cheaper now after inflation than they were in the 90s. I see people say that all the time.

People complaining about paying $60+ a game. I paid $80-90 for new SNES games back in the 90s and you got paid a lot less money per hour back then than now (I remember minimum wage was $3.35 or so). Granted, I was about 20 and still lived at my parents' house, so I could buy these games back then. But then again, cartridges cost a lot more than discs and we got colored manuals and sometimes maps with the games back in the day.
Never knew games used to cost that much and I thought $70 was pushing it a bit.

Never knew games used to cost that much and I thought $70 was pushing it a bit.
Not all Super Nintendo and Genesis games cost that much at release. Some released at $50 while others were $70-90. IIRC, Street Fighter 2, Illusion of Gaia, Chrono Trigger, Killer Instinct were on the higher end. I remember buying these games at Babbages at the time. Phantasy Star 4 for Genesis cost $100 at launch. It had a lot to do with how much memory each game used as well as RPGs usually cost more back in the day.

Not all Super Nintendo and Genesis games cost that much at release. Some released at $50 while others were $70-90. IIRC, Street Fighter 2, Illusion of Gaia, Chrono Trigger, Killer Instinct were on the higher end. I remember buying these games at Babbages at the time. Phantasy Star 4 for Genesis cost $100 at launch. It had a lot to do with how much memory each game used as well as RPGs usually cost more back in the day.
When the SNES was released, first party games (Pilotwings and F-Zero) were $49.99 and third party games were $59.99. Most games held to this up through the later years, when larger carts and more advanced chips were included. Street Fighter 2 was the first 16 megabit game and cost $74.99. I remember David Perry (of Shiny/Earthworm Jim fame) complaining about competing with Nintendo first party titles like Donkey Kong Country versus Earthworm Jim because Nintendo always made theirs cheaper.

I believe Phantasy Star 4 was a little less than that ($90 maybe?), but Virtua Racing was definitely the most expensive due to the tech in the cart.

When the SNES was released, first party games (Pilotwings and F-Zero) were $49.99 and third party games were $59.99. Most games held to this up through the later years, when larger carts and more advanced chips were included. Street Fighter 2 was the first 16 megabit game and cost $74.99. I remember David Perry (of Shiny/Earthworm Jim fame) complaining about competing with Nintendo first party titles like Donkey Kong Country versus Earthworm Jim because Nintendo always made theirs cheaper.

I believe Phantasy Star 4 was a little less than that ($90 maybe?), but Virtua Racing was definitely the most expensive due to the tech in the cart.
Might depend on where you shopped on Phantasy Star IV. I remember seeing it for $100. Rented it instead and bought a used copy years later.

Might depend on where you shopped on Phantasy Star IV. I remember seeing it for $100. Rented it instead and bought a used copy years later.
Yeah, there was some price variation, but for the most part prices were consistent where I was because there were three game stores in the mall where I worked back then. That resulted in prices not really being a premium because you could walk a few hundred feet and get a better price if it happened. It was pretty well known at the EB where I worked they had different pricing models depending on how many competing stores where in the mall of the store on some items.

My manager was a jerk and always tried to make us pretend we were the only store in the mall for customers since we were centrally located. But if we were out of some popular game, like Madden '92 (aging myself here) and someone asked for it I'd suggest they take a short walk in a "certain direction" and they might be happy.

Games were pretty expensive back in the day. My friends and I would share our games, and we’d all go to Funcoland together and decide which of our games we were trading and which we were getting. Once I was old enough to get a job at six flags I was able to buy more games (FFIII and Chrono Trigger cost me like a whole week’s wages each). That said, I refuse to pay that much now because costs *should* be lower these days. These gaming companies have a lot of your personal information, buying habits, playing habits, etc now. They had none of that back in the day. There are also better resale options now. If I’m going to be out more than $10 for a game after I’ve sold it on eBay these days I’m not buying it.

So I got drafted into trying to find a PS5 for my nephew.  My sister is fine with the bundle, is it true I can just walk into a gamestop and pre-order one now for some point in the future? 

So I got drafted into trying to find a PS5 for my nephew. My sister is fine with the bundle, is it true I can just walk into a gamestop and pre-order one now for some point in the future?
They’re online only. They haven’t done walk-in preorders for ps5 in a while. Pro members get early access to next gen bundles when they go live though.

PSIV is not a short game..... how many tiem you rent ti befoire beating it. PSIV is so expensive it is not funny, I heard rumor it is because of Ballmer hate rpg and make it so expensive so the game would tank but then game like chrono trigger cost as much.

Games or any product or service is only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. If millions of people are willing to pay $70 for a game that price point is fine, if not its not. Nintendo 64 cartridges cost around $30 just for a blank cartridge, blu ray discs are what a buck? Technology such as TV's, computers, dvd/blu ray players dropped dramatically over time. In the 90's you could buy a computer for $2,000 that had less power than my watch. My first lcd tv was 40inches and cost around 2,000. Inflation isn't always the only argument when it comes to technology. If Playstation is seeing fewer sales of games at $70, they are going to need to find ways to lower the cost of developing games. Pirates of the Caribbean On Strangers Tide cost $379 million to make, how much did I pay to watch it nothing I watched it on ABC one afternoon.

PSIV is not a short game..... how many tiem you rent ti befoire beating it. PSIV is so expensive it is not funny, I heard rumor it is because of Ballmer hate rpg and make it so expensive so the game would tank but then game like chrono trigger cost as much.
I was young enough when it happened that it wasn't about beating it as much as 'ooh, this concept appeals to me, I should try it."

It was YEARS after that before I REALLY got into RPGs as a genre. Like, my early adulthood when I had a disposable income of my own and could not only buy my own games but could backfill my collection.

At that point in time, it was a novelty to me, so I think I only rented it once or maybe twice.

I understand its everyone's prerogative to not want to pay over a certain amount for games. I'm just saying its much easier now to pay for said games because amount of effort or time worked needed to pay for the game is less. Minimum wage in my state is about to go up to $15 (hell, Whataburger in my area is starting at $16/hr..fast food!). That's roughly 5 hours of work to buy a game if you make minimum wage and most should be making more than that. Of course this should be after paying bills, but still. I had to work many more hours to be able to buy the new games back then. That's all I'm saying. I can easily afford the games these days especially when they are lower priced than back then and we all make more compared to before. But of course, we all love to get deals when we can.

I just feel gaming these days is easier to get into because of websites like this one that didn't exist back in the day sharing constant clearances, sales, coupons, etc., and games actually not increasing in price like I thought they would compared to the 90s. Today's game prices adjusted to inflation compared to then would cost over $100 new, but thankfully they do not.
The way I do it, unless it is a ga,e that I really really like, i buy it at launch and beat it anmd sell it asap to coup cost. Or camp target and best buy for their buy 2 get 1 free deal.

GameStop 11 am est. early access for pros [attachment=35831:9E023022-C38D-4E48-9A1D-9A988E9A9CA3.png]

Been kinda swaying back and forth on wanting a PS5, but seeing these crazy-priced bundles really pushes me back off the fence into the firm "nope" camp. While the games included aren't the worst (minus sports titles), I don't feel like paying retail for stuff I'll pick up later on (for cheaper). Guess I should just keep holding off til next year (unless I happen to stumble upon a decent Target/WM drop with no bundled junk).

Been kinda swaying back and forth on wanting a PS5, but seeing these crazy-priced bundles really pushes me back off the fence into the firm "nope" camp. While the games included aren't the worst (minus sports titles), I don't feel like paying retail for stuff I'll pick up later on (for cheaper). Guess I should just keep holding off til next year (unless I happen to stumble upon a decent Target/WM drop with no bundled junk).
Yeah, most of the bundles are just way overpriced for what you get. I lucked out and snagged just a console on Amazon during one of their midnight drops. I was on the fence like you and satisfied with my pro, but on a whim grabbed it without much afterthought. I will say, the console really does feel premium and next gen. Load times are non existent, UI is smooth, and the Dualsense is a great controller.

I think the last decent bundle Gamestop offered was Miles Morales and a second controller. But these bundles do keep them out of scalpers' hands.

And yet Gamestop bundles are still not as bad as the QVC/HSN bundles, which come with incompatible third-party headsets and game vouchers that even aren't for the PlayStation.

After failing to get a PS5 from GameStop earlier this week since for some reason GS could not ship the the PS5 to my address, I struck out again at target today.  Got one in my cart at Target but I kept getting errors when trying to "place the order".  After 15 mins of those errors the PS5 got removed from my cart as out of stock.  

Someone certainly does not want me to get a PS5.  What I don't understand is how my wife is doing it.  :whistle2:k

Got lucky this morning. Checked CAG on a whim, and ended up locking down a PS5 at Target about an hour and 20 minutes away. Guess it's road trip time this weekend.

So Target cancelled my order and told me to fuck off. I think I'm just gonna stick with my Series X and PC until these are readily available. This is some bullshit

So for the first year you have Astro's Playroom, Deathloop, Demon Souls, Ratchet and Clank, Horizon Forbidden West, Destruction All Stars, Returnal, etc. for just exclusives. If you're going to add 3rd party, timed and Sony (PS4 and PS5 release) exclusvies, we can name a few more releases here.

Every game on this, list coming out at launch or in 2021 take one step forward.

Ahhhh…..not so fast Horizon Forbidden West.
I told you……

I'm officially done with all this bullshit involved in trying to buy one of these stupid fucking consoles... finally got thru the que in 4 mins today, only to get hit with sign in error after error. Literally reset my password twice. Went ahead and created a whole new PSN ID just to get the sold out message even though the que doesn't mention it. fuck Sony and their awfully managed drops, they can eat a dick. I'm not wasting any more of my time with this.

Yeah I'm officially done looking for a PS5 now... HZD2 was really the only game I want so I'll stick the PS4 until then.
:roll:

Now it's official official. Heh, seriously tho, fuck Sony and Target, unsubbing from this thread. I'll let my girl worry about getting me one by Christmas if they don't announce a remodel or LE by then.

bread's done
Back