Playstation 5 Re-stock Thread

Yes, but there will be some who will still expect it and will compare the service to game pass. Next week the console war will be over, be prepared for the subscription war, and it's going to get more annoying.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean I’m as big a PlayStation fan as there is but I sincerely hold very little optimism their new service even comes close to Gamepass. To me at least it just feels so doomed to fail

Just wished we’d actually get backwards compatibility not some streaming stuff. Ps2/ps3 games on ps5? Yes pls. Silent hill, mgs, Def jam, fight night

Im starting to think that Sony as usual being behind the curve has also been dragging its feet to secure components for production. 

I say this because yes the Series S has been all over for awhile now but the X has been hard to keep in stock but they are getting smaller batches out more often and with Nintendo when they do drop  switches in stores they drop a ton of them..  

They even said they were going to be producing more PS4 consoles to give people a less expensive option as well as relieve supply stress on the PS5 and its been a few months since they announced that and im yet to see a new PS4 in a store...  Its just becoming one excuse after another and the gamepass service is going to be a disaster everyone can see it..  Time for them to move on from Jim Ryan the ship has been off course since they turned over control of the gaming division to the US side of things.

Im starting to think that Sony as usual being behind the curve has also been dragging its feet to secure components for production.

I say this because yes the Series S has been all over for awhile now but the X has been hard to keep in stock but they are getting smaller batches out more often and with Nintendo when they do drop switches in stores they drop a ton of them..

They even said they were going to be producing more PS4 consoles to give people a less expensive option as well as relieve supply stress on the PS5 and its been a few months since they announced that and im yet to see a new PS4 in a store... Its just becoming one excuse after another and the gamepass service is going to be a disaster everyone can see it.. Time for them to move on from Jim Ryan the ship has been off course since they turned over control of the gaming division to the US side of things.

I have only seen the ps4 at my local target no where else. They have had them sitting in a case for over a month.

I have only seen the ps4 at my local target no where else. They have had them sitting in a case for over a month.
Wow, I haven't seen a PS4 in the wild since late 2019/early 2020.

Bought a slim at BF 2019 for $199, and they still regularly go for about $200-250 used, with Pros going over $300. Some of the stock trackers show that Slims popped in stock on Amazon & Walmart for $299, and were gone pretty fast.

It is crazy that Sony can't put anything out. Saw OLEDs & XSX/XSS all in stock the other day in person, but the Sony case was being used for storage of controllers. I don't doubt that the PS5 will do well but as somebody who always buys both, and sold their PS5 when prices got silly again, I definitely need something to bring me back. GT7 seems to have stumbled out of the gates, and so much is going to be on Steam so who knows. I'll definitely grab one for MSRP but there's zero desire to pay a premium anymore.

Throwing my hat into attempting to purchase a ps5....besides hotstock app, following the usual suspects on Twitter, having billing details saved on various websites, and also being signed up for playstation direct, anything else I should do?

Throwing my hat into attempting to purchase a ps5....besides hotstock app, following the usual suspects on Twitter, having billing details saved on various websites, and also being signed up for playstation direct, anything else I should do?

Yup

Best Buy hasn't restocked online since late January, you'd think they're due. Amazon is going on a month too so same with them.

Also, make sure you've signed up for the Playstation Direct queue. They're probably stocking more frequently than anybody else at this point, for obvious reasons.

EDIT: and if a retailer does have them, you may want to elect for pickup. The most recent Walmart drop apparently oversold and has a lot of people with May shipping dates.

Amazon will be selling PS5 for prime member next week. Target has them right now and will be selling them for in-store pick up next week. 

Local GS had a sign saying they will have some console bundles "soon".  

Still refuse to purchase in a bundle unless it actually has some value.

This Wednesday, not sure if prime membership is required or not.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1508601000243859460

I know its behind a pay wall but it still being up is nice to see.

They might have them on sale again tomorrow with no paywall for anyone still looking. Best buy that is.

The sad thing is the PS5 doesn't even support CD playback so that'd be an upgrade for my disc PS5 too.
I figured since Sony basically is part owner of Blu-ray technology, it wouldn't be such an issue to have at least an external Blu-ray disc player. Unlike Microsoft, having to pay license fees and probably other things to use Blu-ray.

I would be fine with a PS4 Pro redesign that plays PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4 discs and is meant to compliment the PS5. Would even settle for a non-4K PS4 Pro that plays all of those discs.

Did anybody who has TT get anything from Best Buy saying that there was a sale going? Wtf is the point of exclusive sales events if you’re not going to notify anybody about it.

Not sure why I expect anything but bottom tier garbage from Worst Buy

The sad thing is the PS5 doesn't even support CD playback so that'd be an upgrade for my disc PS5 too.
Funny as I remember the first gen ps3 supported everything under the sun including super cds (never saw them in store). Sony definitely wants to move away from the disk drive.

What I find nuts is that a decent Blu-ray player these days costs nearly as much as a ps5. Sad day when they drop the drive all together.

Hey, long time PS4 PRO owner. First time poster in the thread. How long have some of you been waiting to get a playstation 5?
I actually waited to buy one when it first came out. Early on there were no games for the system, and I waited for exclusives, not just to have the ability to play upgraded PS4 games. Perhaps as of today in 2022 they’re hard to get. Over the last year they never were truly hard to get. I feel that if you didn’t try then you didn’t want one really. My PS5 was accidentally purchased from target, and I was offered two directly from Sony by email over the past year. I didn’t even respond to the emails since I already owned one.

Best buy ps5 console stealth drop in store this morning. Jake randall tweeted out some good info today:
STEP 1 - Download Best Buy App and search "PlayStation 5"
Step 2 - Toggle the "in store" button on top left of app
Step 3 - Change stores until you see the PS5
If you see it, that store has stock available for in store purchase only!
Says "no products found" if not in that store

Gamestop will have ps5 disc and digital bundles ranging from $600+ To $700+ at select stores tomorrow April 2nd per Wario64: https://www.gamestop.com/ps5-store-event.html?utm_source=rakutenls&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_content=Wario64&utm_campaign=2&utm_id=2949699&utm_kxconfid=tebx5rmj3&cid=afl_10000087&affID=77777&sourceID=0wLgH49VWzI-UzcJ41yT5M8n1opw6fIhpw&ranMID=24348&ranEAID=0wLgH49VWzI&ranSiteID=0wLgH49VWzI-UzcJ41yT5M8n1opw6fIhpw
[attachment=36818:BDE1DE20-42EE-48E0-BA84-EEF2BDD3F18F.jpeg].
Bundles listed below, source from Shortcut: 🛑

🎮 GameStop PS5 Disc bundle #1
* PS5 Disc console
* Gran Turismo 7
* Horizon: Forbidden West: Limited Edition
* PS5 DualSense Charging Station by PowerA
* PS4 HyperX Cloud Headset (blue)
* PS5 DualSense controller in Cosmic Red controller
* Price: $740

🎮 GameStop PS5 Disc bundle #2: $735
* PS5 Disc console
* Gran Turismo 7
* Horizon Forbidden West: Limited Edition
* $25 PlayStation Network gift card
* Atrix AX1250 Wireless Headset Black

🎮 GameStop PS5 Digital bundle #1: $640
* PlayStation 5 Digital console
* PlayStation Plus 12-month membership
* PlayStation Network $75
* PS5 Dual Sense Charging Station by PowerA
* PS5 DualSense controller – Cosmic Red

🎮 GameStop PS5 Digital bundle #2: $630
* PlayStation 5 Digital consle
* PlayStation Plus 12-month membership
* Samsung 1TB 980 Pro Heatsink

I had no idea a decent Blu-ray player costs nearly $500. That is nuts.
Yeah if you want full hdmi 2.1 support (which the ps5 does ) it’s $300-$500 bucks atm. While my xbsx also has a Blu-ray drive the actual movie player sucks. Horrible color accuracy, contrast, and hdr routinely also shows a movie’s scan lines as well I could never get it to work right. PlayStations are the goat of Blu-ray/dvd playback.

Yeah if you want full hdmi 2.1 support (which the ps5 does ) it’s $300-$500 bucks atm. While my xbsx also has a Blu-ray drive the actual movie player sucks. Horrible color accuracy, contrast, and hdr routinely also shows a movie’s scan lines as well I could never get it to work right. PlayStations are the goat of Blu-ray/dvd playback.
Yeah, Xbox tried to introduce that HD-DVD crap back when Bluray was starting in the 360 days and failed miserably. They're probably mad that they are using Sony tech in their system.

Yeah, Xbox tried to introduce that HD-DVD crap back when Bluray was starting in the 360 days and failed miserably. They're probably mad that they are using Sony tech in their system.
I don't think they ever really cared about HD-DVD, but I haven't had any complaints about Blu-ray playback on my Xbox One and Series X consoles. More importantly, Microsoft is better at making game consoles...

This is also what I heard about the PS5 with regards to UHD playback. It's just a better multimedia device if you want to watch discs.

I don't think they ever really cared about HD-DVD, but I haven't had any complaints about Blu-ray playback on my Xbox One and Series X consoles. More importantly, Microsoft is better at making game consoles...
To say Blu-ray is Sony tech is a bit inaccurate; there's an entire consortium made up of other companies (including Sony) that developed the tech. I don't think Microsoft was ever 'mad' about using a superior disc format that won out in the end.

Mine wasn't too bad. I got there 15 minutes early with 6 people ahead of me. They were handing out papers to guarantee you got the digital or disk that you wanted. I think they handed out the last sheet as I was leaving 25-30 minutes after open. They had a better bundle (in my opinion) with Disk edition, Horizon LE, Miles Morales, berry color controller, and charger for $730

Mine wasn't too bad. I got there 15 minutes early with 6 people ahead of me. They were handing out papers to guarantee you got the digital or disk that you wanted. I think they handed out the last sheet as I was leaving 25-30 minutes after open. They had a better bundle (in my opinion) with Disk edition, Horizon LE, Miles Morales, berry color controller, and charger for $730
I don’t know, I kinda think that digital bundle for $630 with the Digital console, PlayStation Plus 12-month membership, and Samsung 1TB 980 Pro Heatsink is pretty excellent. It’s literally everything you would use and no filler. I have that ssd installed in my console, it’s excellent, it loads lightning fast!

Was anyone able to score in person at Bestbuy this week? I went to one this morning 30 mins before they opened and there was about 20 people in line and well all got Disc ones easy.

I think it more so has to deal with the fact Sony makes tvs, disk standards, professional camera, industrial projectors, and own a movie studio…they’re experts at this stuff end to end. M$ offered hd dvd because it was a real concern you couldn’t play ’next gen’ movies. Also as crazy as this sounds hd dvd was giving Blu-ray a run for its money until studios pulled out. That was a closer race than people remember. Some studios we’re all in in one format and not the other.

I think it more so has to deal with the fact Sony makes tvs, disk standards, professional camera, industrial projectors, and own a movie studio…they’re experts at this stuff end to end. M$ offered hd dvd because it was a real concern you couldn’t play ’next gen’ movies. Also as crazy as this sounds hd dvd was giving Blu-ray a run for its money until studios pulled out. That was a closer race than people remember. Some studios we’re all in in one format and not the other.
It was just hours before HD-DVD was to have a presentation at the Consumers Electronics Show when Warner Bros who was backing both formats announced they will go only Blu-Ray moving forward. That ended the format wars right there as HD-DVD canceled their presentation. Until that announcement it was very close with some studios backing either both formats, blu-ray only or HD-DVD only

Fun fact as I had just sold my HD-DVD player for the xbox360 that week and it was delivered to the buyer about an hour before the Warner announcement. I could not have timed that any better.

A trivial factor today when digital sales are over the 50% parity hump. I'd be more worried what happens when that royalty money ceases. . .

I'd never go diskless personally. I have too many PS4 games I would hate to rebuy
This is a topic for another day, but I would surmise that when consoles do make that leap a decision will need to be made what to do about retired licenses. Imagine if they allowed anyone with a disc to redeem a digital copy with the expectation that moving forward the disc wouldn't be required. There would be massive groups of people moving games around to take advantage so it's not a realistic option. Alternatively, you could offer a recycling program where discs were sent in for a redemption code and destroyed. That kind of operation would be incredibly expensive for no ROI, in fact harming digital sales in the process for the company. My guess is that when disc drives go away, they will become luxury items and sold as a peripheral which goes hand in hand with the slow phase-out of physical.

This is a topic for another day, but I would surmise that when consoles do make that leap a decision will need to be made what to do about retired licenses. Imagine if they allowed anyone with a disc to redeem a digital copy with the expectation that moving forward the disc wouldn't be required. There would be massive groups of people moving games around to take advantage so it's not a realistic option. Alternatively, you could offer a recycling program where discs were sent in for a redemption code and destroyed. That kind of operation would be incredibly expensive for no ROI, in fact harming digital sales in the process for the company. My guess is that when disc drives go away, they will become luxury items and sold as a peripheral which goes hand in hand with the slow phase-out of physical.
Zero chance publishers will give a crap. They would NEVER provide licenses for the discs you currently own. You can still play them on the console they were made for. Many will get rereleased on the new disc less consoles and you will have to repurchase them.

Going forward once everything is disc less they may let you redeem the games tied to your account on a new console, maybe the succeeding generation. Doubt you will be able to redeem or play your PS7 version of god of war 5 on your PS10 console.

bread's done
Back