Playstation 5 Re-stock Thread

The point being that holding onto physical discs now would require keeping the old hardware as well, something that's not ideal. It's a hard pill to swallow for many people, one that I finally came to terms with myself.

Zero chance publishers will give a crap. They would NEVER provide licenses for the discs you currently own. You can still play them on the console they were made for. Many will get rereleased on the new disc less consoles and you will have to repurchase them.

Going forward once everything is disc less they may let you redeem the games tied to your account on a new console, maybe the succeeding generation. Doubt you will be able to redeem or play your PS7 version of god of war 5 on your PS10 console.
This is a topic for another day, but I would surmise that when consoles do make that leap a decision will need to be made what to do about retired licenses. Imagine if they allowed anyone with a disc to redeem a digital copy with the expectation that moving forward the disc wouldn't be required. There would be massive groups of people moving games around to take advantage so it's not a realistic option. Alternatively, you could offer a recycling program where discs were sent in for a redemption code and destroyed. That kind of operation would be incredibly expensive for no ROI, in fact harming digital sales in the process for the company. My guess is that when disc drives go away, they will become luxury items and sold as a peripheral which goes hand in hand with the slow phase-out of physical.
A quick non PS5 note - but sony related. AFAIK the PSP-GO did not have any type of "redemption" or consolation for you if you had any disc games you wanted to play on the new smaller console. If you wanted to play them on the PSP go, you bet your butt you were buying them again.

At the end of the day I think that helped the poor sales at the time and this just wound up with the console being even more appealing to hackers IMO (portable, and screw it, might as well just download iso's if its all digital anyway) . If they released a disk-less version at launch for cheaper, they may have been on to something, but with the way they were pushing UMD movies and such, it would have been a hard sell.

Last edited by a moderator:
A quick non PS5 note - but sony related. AFAIK the PSP-GO did not have any type of "redemption" or consolation for you if you had any disc games you wanted to play on the new smaller console. If you wanted to play them on the PSP go, you bet your butt you were buying them again.

At the end of the day I think that helped the poor sales at the time and this just wound up with the console being even more appealing to hackers IMO (portable, and screw it, might as well just download iso's if its all digital anyway) . If they released a disk-less version at launch for cheaper, they may have been on to something, but with the way they were pushing UMD movies and such, it would have been a hard sell.
https://www.fastcompany.com/90185895/buy-a-psp-go-and-sony-will-convert-your-old-umds-to-digital-versions

I guess Sony had plans for a service like that at the beginning but it got scrapped, maybe due to poor sales

Currently, the better way to get a PS5 is to register your email with Sony to receive a notification when they become available on Sony's Playstation Direct website. I purchased a PS5 on Thursday and I was into Playstation Direct within 5 minutes and I had my choice of either the disc or digital version. UPS just dropped off my PS5 and Starlight Blue controller.

The only catch if you want to avoid shipping cost is to either be a PS Plus active member or buy a game or accessory.

Currently, the better way to get a PS5 is to register your email with Sony to receive a notification when they become available on Sony's Playstation Direct website. I purchased a PS5 on Thursday and I was into Playstation Direct within 5 minutes and I had my choice of either the disc or digital version. UPS just dropped off my PS5 and Starlight Blue controller.

The only catch if you want to avoid shipping cost is to either be a PS Plus active member or buy a game or accessory.
I haven't had any luck. Been registered a few weeks after release, nothing. I reregistered just now in case. Guess we'll see.

I haven't had any luck. Been registered a few weeks after release, nothing. I reregistered just now in case. Guess we'll see.
I had a similar problem when Sony started the program. I even registered twice with my PSN account that's been active since 2006. So on a whim I created a new account, I registered using the new account and within a couple weeks I get an email about the invite. Just an FYI, that still doesn't guarantee you'll get a PS5 but your chances go way up because the invite on the date they set last around 5 hrs.

Try creating a new account and see if that works for you.

I had a similar problem when Sony started the program. I even registered twice with my PSN account that's been active since 2006. So on a whim I created a new account, I registered using the new account and within a couple weeks I get an email about the invite. Just an FYI, that still doesn't guarantee you'll get a PS5 but your chances go way up because the invite on the date they set last around 5 hrs.

Try creating a new account and see if that works for you.
Thanks, if I don't hear back soon, I'll give a new account a try.

Thanks, if I don't hear back soon, I'll give a new account a try.
I hadn't used a psn account since the ps3. Signed up for direct and got an email like 3 weeks later giving me the opportunity. Skipped out on it since I was in the process of getting married. Ended up snagging one from a Best Buy drop 3 weeks ago.

I hadn't used a psn account since the ps3. Signed up for direct and got an email like 3 weeks later giving me the opportunity. Skipped out on it since I was in the process of getting married. Ended up snagging one from a Best Buy drop 3 weeks ago.
Marriage over a PS5?!

Just kidding. Congrats on both.

Same issue. I signed up on Sony's web page before the PS5 was released. I've never gotten an email from Sony in 1.5 years to purchase. Thankfully I found one in Feb 2021 at a store for at-cost.

You got a PS5 and a spouse?!

No kidding. Potential spouses are all over the place. PS5s are hard to find. :p

At this point of my life, I would settle for the friend-zone and a PS4 Pro. Seems like not even the PS4 slim is getting restocked on the PlayStation Direct website.

PS5 & spouse!   what a deal!    Love this site.   come for the CAG deals and stuff, stay for the laughs!   

Horizon2ForbiddenWest, just finished playing through it, spent around 50-60hours on the campaign, still did not see everything.   It was a great "launch" title that I wanted to play back in November 2020 or 2021, and played in Feb-April 2022.   Good stuff! 

Sigh, this is still hard to find...

I want the system, but it's selling out every single re-stock.
I got lucky twice. I snagged a PS5 disc based while spamming the Walmart mobile app. I also got a 10% employee discount when I worked there. I was about 8 months after the release. A couple of weeks ago, Sony sent me an invite and I snagged another PS5 disc version although I had to purchase a controller as i'm not a PS Plus member. But yeah, they still are hard to find. What's even crazier are the used prices for the PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro. They are almost selling for what I paid for them. I still have a Slim and Pro. Because of the shortages it's best to hang on to what you got.

I got lucky twice. I snagged a PS5 disc based while spamming the Walmart mobile app. I also got a 10% employee discount when I worked there. I was about 8 months after the release. A couple of weeks ago, Sony sent me an invite and I snagged another PS5 disc version although I had to purchase a controller as i'm not a PS Plus member. But yeah, they still are hard to find. What's even crazier are the used prices for the PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro. They are almost selling for what I paid for them. I still have a Slim and Pro. Because of the shortages it's best to hang on to what you got.
Until PS5's become easier to get, used PS4's are going to have a high asking price. I could see them drastically dropping in price when PS5 stock becomes more stable since PS5 backwards compatibility gives you little reason to own both a PS4 and PS5 unless you went for a discless PS5 or have one of the few games that don't work on a PS5 (or you still have P.T. since they disabled that one from being BC).

Until PS5's become easier to get, used PS4's are going to have a high asking price. I could see them drastically dropping in price when PS5 stock becomes more stable since PS5 backwards compatibility gives you little reason to own both a PS4 and PS5 unless you went for a discless PS5 or have one of the few games that don't work on a PS5 (or you still have P.T. since they disabled that one from being BC).
I have no doubt you are right. Intel's CEO said last week that the chip shortage looks to continue well into 2024.

I do wonder with the second hand market for used PS5s, if the better launch PS5 model is more valuable since the revision has cheaper parts. I was thankful to know I had the original edition after knowing Sony lowered the quality of the heatsink.

I do wonder with the second hand market for used PS5s, if the better launch PS5 model is more valuable since the revision has cheaper parts. I was thankful to know I had the original edition after knowing Sony lowered the quality of the heatsink.
Can you tell by looking at the outside of the box which version you have?

There was a lot of inaccurate info about the revised heatsink at the beginning, but it was later found out through testing the revised heatsink is actually better at keeping your system cooler.

I wouldn't buy a launch model at this point. If you get the revision you're most likely going to get the revision model for the controller too. Plus its possible launch models have a higher rate of having the "rest mode bug".

I wouldn't buy a launch model at this point. If you get the revision you're most likely going to get the revision model for the controller too. Plus its possible launch models have a higher rate of having the "rest mode bug".
I have not encountered that with the Launch model. Supposedly that was addressed with a Firmware update. I have put my launch PS5 in and out of Rest Mode and I haven't encountered any issues.

There was a lot of inaccurate info about the revised heatsink at the beginning, but it was later found out through testing the revised heatsink is actually better at keeping your system cooler.
That is true but the Launch PS5 will probably be just as reliable as Sony continues to make revisions. Sony went to a new process called Liquid Metal instead of thermal paste.

I have not encountered that with the Launch model. Supposedly that was addressed with a Firmware update. I have put my launch PS5 in and out of Rest Mode and I haven't encountered any issues.
It still happens to some people. There's a big Reddit thread about it if you Google it. I think it's a hardware defect. There's no proof that only launch models are affected but I haven't heard of anyone with the revision with the same problem. Still, I would just get the revision for the controller upgrade alone since the changes to the controller reduce the chances of drift and trigger issues

How can you tell you have a revision model and not a launch model? I bought one from Sony about 6 weeks ago (haven't had time to open it yet) so it could be something that sat in the corner of one of their storerooms for 2 years (as unlikely as that seems).

How can you tell you have a revision model and not a launch model? I bought one from Sony about 6 weeks ago (haven't had time to open it yet) so it could be something that sat in the corner of one of their storerooms for 2 years (as unlikely as that seems).
There’s different model numbers on the box, on the lower corner. If you got it from Sony direct you surely have the ‘lesser’ model. It's amazing how much empty space is in them now after the revision.

CFI-1000 is the better built model. CFI-1102 is the lower cost unit.

https://www.gamerevolution.com/guides/691446-ps5-model-number-best-2021

If you got it 6 weeks ago it's the revision. PS5 isn't something that would just sit in a storeroom. They're sold out everywhere. I bought mine at the end of January from PlayStation direct and it was the revision

And I'm not sure why people keep thinking the launch model is the better one. It's not.

If you got it 6 weeks ago it's the revision. PS5 isn't something that would just sit in a storeroom. They're sold out everywhere. I bought mine at the end of January from PlayStation direct and it was the revision

And I'm not sure why people keep thinking the launch model is the better one. It's not.
It is better as far as cooling. But neither are likely to present a problem and if you didn’t know you had the revision you wouldn’t know if you never checked and Vice versa

It is better as far as cooling. But neither are likely to present a problem and if you didn’t know you had the revision you wouldn’t know if you never checked and Vice versa
Nah, there are updated articles that prove that the revision actually runs cooler. I don't think the difference really matters, but the revision is actually superior if you care about things like that.

I don't think anyone has a choice of which one they get unless they're getting a PS5 second hand. If it's from a retailer, it's gonna be the newer model. If I had the choice (like if it was in stock everywhere), then I would get the revision because of the better cooling, less potential hardware defects, and newer controller

How does the shuffle work? Like I entered for the disc edition with the blue controller and it says I'll get an email from noon to 6 PM PST but not sure what that means...? I'm assuming not everyone who enters will be picked but if I am picked and get the email, do I have a 6 hour window to buy the console? Or do I have to keep checking my email from noon to 6 and do a mad dash to buy the console?

It's like a raffle to get a chance to buy it. You will get an email and text notification if you enable it. You will have a limited time frame to purchases it. I'm pretty sure they only send out links in the amount they have and it is really not a race to checkout with the rest of the people who got the links.

They are planning to ship 18 million PS5 this fiscal year so there will be more opportunities later. To give context, Sony shipped 19.3 million PS5 since launch.

I havent seen a bestbuy drop in a while.

Walmart will have a drop on June 2 I think.

bread's done
Back