Playstation 5 Re-stock Thread

don't you have to request invites?
Yes, but that was months ago. I was also trying to get one for a friend but he was able to snag one from PlayStation Direct. I think I also put in an invite request for an Amazon Astro, but no way I want that after reading about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to follow up on my purchase from Playstation Direct. 

So I made the purchase for the PS5 bundle. They ship it via UPS. The package said it was delivered but it was never delivered. It also said there is a signature required. So i talked to UPS support and they weren't any help. They were also very rude and unprofessional. However Playstation direct support was the complete opposite. They ended up sending me a replacement PS5 bundle. It said it was going to arrive on a Saturday. So i was going to make sure i didn't miss it that time. I sat out on my front porch all day. around 1pm I get an email saying my pacakage was delivered and signed for. Once again it was not delivered and i didn't sign for anything. I had been outside on my porch waiting and no UPS truck even came down my road. So i contacted playstation support again and about a week later they ended up giving me a refund. 

So basically I would not advise ordering from playstation direct or anywhere else that uses UPS. Either their drivers deliver the package to the wrong address and it's signed by someone. Or their drivers just keep it for themselves. That's the only two things i can think of that could be happening. 

If you do happen to order from playstation direct i highly suggest that you instruct UPS to deliver to a UPS store instead of delivering it to your house. 

It's not always convenient, but I recommend "hold for pickup" on important packages. I had so many issues with FedEx delivering to wrong address or simply ignoring "signature required." That all stopped when I put the onus on them. Now if they claim "we delivered it" then they'd be calling a coworker a liar and not me. They also can't claim "golly it must've be stolen from your porch. Contact police."

It's not always convenient, but I recommend "hold for pickup" on important packages. I had so many issues with FedEx delivering to wrong address or simply ignoring "signature required." That all stopped when I put the onus on them. Now if they claim "we delivered it" then they'd be calling a coworker a liar and not me. They also can't claim "golly it must've be stolen from your porch. Contact police."
100% this. Although I've only had 1 or 2 packages go missing for whatever reason, we have an open front porch and there is a lot of foot traffic on our street. UPS does a great job (in our area) of holding packages at our local UPS store whereas I have the same arrangement with FedEx and they never hold plus they're always late and delivery day is wrong about 50% of the time.

So I made the purchase for the PS5 bundle. They ship it via UPS. The package said it was delivered but it was never delivered. It also said there is a signature required. So i talked to UPS support and they weren't any help. They were also very rude and unprofessional. However Playstation direct support was the complete opposite. They ended up sending me a replacement PS5 bundle. It said it was going to arrive on a Saturday. So i was going to make sure i didn't miss it that time. I sat out on my front porch all day. around 1pm I get an email saying my pacakage was delivered and signed for. Once again it was not delivered and i didn't sign for anything. I had been outside on my porch waiting and no UPS truck even came down my road. So i contacted playstation support again and about a week later they ended up giving me a refund.

So basically I would not advise ordering from playstation direct or anywhere else that uses UPS. Either their drivers deliver the package to the wrong address and it's signed by someone. Or their drivers just keep it for themselves. That's the only two things i can think of that could be happening.

If you do happen to order from playstation direct i highly suggest that you instruct UPS to deliver to a UPS store instead of delivering it to your house.
Really simple solution, ask for the GPS data from the signature. UPS is employees not contractors like Fedex so once you get that ball rolling they get canned

Wow, that's a pretty shitty experience. It's location based because Amazon Prime is pretty bad in my area and I now have them send packages to an Amazon Locker instead. All the complaining I did made NO difference. However UPS in my area is fantastic. A buddy of mine says Amazon Prime is also great in his area. So it really depends on the location. My guess is someone stole it once they saw the shipper was Playstation, either the driver took it or it was delivered by the UPS driver to someone they know.

I purchased a PS5 directly from Sony and UPS knocked on my door and had me sign for the package. So my UPS experience was as expected.

Still don't plan to buy one for a while, but glad to see these are now slowly coming back to regular stock, as in they're not selling out minutes after being made available.

I'd buy one, but where I live is too risky to have UPS or FedEx deliver it. I'm hoping to catch them in stock at BB where I can pick one up in the store at some point.

I'd buy one, but where I live is too risky to have UPS or FedEx deliver it. I'm hoping to catch them in stock at BB where I can pick one up in the store at some point.
You can't purchase one then have the Fedex or UPS hub hold it and then you can go pick it up?

Yeah, read that Sony got a lot of PS5 stock allocated for the next six months. They are planning to sell 18 million PS5 till the end of their fiscal year of March next year.

Only took two years. :applause:
I feel like the PS2 took around a year and the Wii maybe 18 months to be "walk in and buy one whenever" accessible, and that wasn't in the middle of a pandemic-driven electronics buying/production crunch.

I wonder how long it would have taken PS5 during a reasonably normal launch window.

Looks like Direct PlayStation is now out of stock on the Horizon PS5 bundle.  I'm more impressed it lasted this long.

I was not able to get me one.  I am little more curious why they no longer sell recertified PS4 Pro consoles?

I feel like the PS2 took around a year and the Wii maybe 18 months to be "walk in and buy one whenever" accessible, and that wasn't in the middle of a pandemic-driven electronics buying/production crunch.

I wonder how long it would have taken PS5 during a reasonably normal launch window.
PS2 was a phenomenon. I think the only true comparison is when Wii spread like wildfire, but the difference being that Sony fucked many retailers over by shorting their pre-order allocation by 50% or worse. It took months alone for many stores to just complete their pre-orders and games like MGS2 only drove demand higher. It also had what I'd consider the strongest launch title lineup of any console generation to date (I being on a college budget saved for months to buy AC2, DOA2, SSX, Summoner, Tekken Tag Tournament, and TimeSplitters). Can't think of another console that I bought so much at once on launch.

This generation has limped out of the gate, and because of hardware refreshes and cross-generation game releases--the demand is artificially created by the shortages. Without the pandemic, this generation would have been nothing of particular note.

This generation has limped out of the gate, and because of hardware refreshes and cross-generation game releases--the demand is artificially created by the shortages. Without the pandemic, this generation would have been nothing of particular note.
I agree with this. Honestly I love the new consoles (I even really like the new Xbox), they blow the previous generation away, but honestly they really don’t need to be. There’s very few games that can’t be played on previous generation consoles. I really don’t know that there’s going to be that big a hurry for the next consoles to come out. Or even if there’s going to be a next generation

Fine waiting until I can pick it up easily. Also, not interested in the Horizon bundle. I don't care for a $50 digital copy of that game.

I really don’t know that there’s going to be that big a hurry for the next consoles to come out. Or even if there’s going to be a next generation
That's hard to say when the next consoles will arrive but whether there will be a next gen machine, I think so. I do however see the writing on the wall as Microsoft has forced Sony's hand regarding subscription and streaming services. Eventually that's where this is all heading where you just stream games on any given device. Samsung already has TV's that support Game Pass so NO hardware is needed to play games. The only requirement will be super high speed internet and possibly unlimited data plan.

That's hard to say when the next consoles will arrive but whether there will be a next gen machine, I think so. I do however see the writing on the wall as Microsoft has forced Sony's hand regarding subscription and streaming services. Eventually that's where this is all heading where you just stream games on any given device. Samsung already has TV's that support Game Pass so NO hardware is needed to play games. The only requirement will be super high speed internet and possibly unlimited data plan.
This all just sounds awful, but I agree that this is probably the last gen that bothers with physical media. May be Nintendo keeps on for one or two more gens but the Big N always does its own thing.

PS5 (disc system) is looking like my last console (besides a Switch, which I'm still holding out on for the allusive Switch Pro). I'm done with the industry once most games go all digital. Even if publishers like LRG stick around, I'm guessing I'll eventually get priced out as these boutique shops keep raising prices for those who'll pay the premium for physical games.

Then they will be the last console gen that makes this kind of money.  *shrug*

For $600 hardware and $100-$200 SDD costs people can simply choose to get into gaming PCs instead, if all they have to show for it are digital libraries and paid subscriptions.  There would be nothing exclusive to be gained by owning a console.  It just becomes a poor man's gaming rig. 

Industry people and consumers alike don't respect the fragile nature of these console ecosystems.   When the core gamers decide something isn't cool anymore, and they're 'out', then things cascade down even further and more and more people leave that ecosystem.  Just like how it happened with the 360 launch, and again with the PS4 launch. 

Generally speaking, lots of people also don't spend 'new release' type money on digital games.  Maybe once or twice a year for the big titles they want to play like Madden and CoD.   But digital buries fringe and recreational spending.  Gaming IPs get devalued to, "is it twenty dollars (or less) yet?"  Developers do not want that.  There are Indie darlings that do well and then the rest of the third parties have trouble getting discovered on Steam now, or becoming part of the cultural zeitgeist / public discourse.

How many of the "Top 20 Games of the Year" did all of you buy digitally during the previous two years hmm?

I got a PS2 easy around launch, but man Wii was tough. 18 months - you might be right. Crazy.

This all just sounds awful, but I agree that this is probably the last gen that bothers with physical media. May be Nintendo keeps on for one or two more gens but the Big N always does its own thing.
Keep in mind that Nintendo started out as a toy company in Japan. So that explains why they push the novelty idea with each new console they release. N64-> Gamecube-> Wii-> Wii U-> Switch where all different ideas. That's why I question the logic by the gaming press where they suggest that Nintendo should release a Switch Pro or Switch 2 (4K support) as a follow up to the Switch.

Nintendo does things their way. They also have the best game developers in the world. They also have the best and biggest game IP's in the industry. So you could be right, whether Sony or Microsoft decide to leave the console space, it probably won't matter much to Nintendo. It's when people stop buying their games is when they'll decide what to do next.

I still think a good few months for those that really wanted it, I copped a PS5 the month of release but I had to stay up all night camping on sites and watching streams listening for alarms. I truly miss the days of waiting in line at toysrus, this was always a guarantee to work for every console. I think stockx and scalpers would have made it harder even without a pandemic.

I got a PS2 easy around launch, but man Wii was tough. 18 months - you might be right. Crazy.
I was in retail for both of those launches, and while the years have dulled my memory some, I'm decently confident about the Wii. I had people coming in looking for them 4x/week for *months* before finally being there on delivery (and they never lasted more than an hour unless we were holding them for an ad).

PS2 we just hardly got any WHEN we got amy for a good long time. It wasn't as much about swarms of people looking as "we got two this tr--aaaaaaand they're gone."

Was decently after the GT3 bundle before we had them in quantity.

I still think a good few months for those that really wanted it, I copped a PS5 the month of release but I had to stay up all night camping on sites and watching streams listening for alarms. I truly miss the days of waiting in line at toysrus, this was always a guarantee to work for every console. I think stockx and scalpers would have made it harder even without a pandemic.
Only console i waited in line for, I waited in line to pre-order. I knew I'd never be allowed to miss the Wii launch at midnight, so I camped out to pre-order mine.

It seems that the PS5 is commonly available now.

I walked into my local best buy and they had one sitting on the counter behind customer service. I brought it up to an employee just inquiring if it was an in store pick up and they said no, they've had stock of consoles since Monday 9/5 and no one seems to be buying them. This was put out on display and they have more in the back. It was the Horizon disc bundle for $550. My GameStops will be stocking consoles tomorrow too and not requiring mega expensive bundles either.

Hmm...if I had $550, should I buy the Horizon bundle or wait for the newer 1200 series model?  I mean, I have made it this long without a PS5 and will probably play mostly PS4 titles on it.

Looks like the Horizon bundle is back in stock at PlayStation Direct.

Hmm...if I had $550, should I buy the Horizon bundle or wait for the newer 1200 series model? I mean, I have made it this long without a PS5 and will probably play mostly PS4 titles on it.

I think you should wait for a holiday bundle instead so you have Ragnarok to enjoy during a holiday sale maybe

I think you should wait for a holiday bundle instead so you have Ragnarok to enjoy during a holiday sale maybe
Bad idea. PS5 disc consoles are unlikely to be discounted- the rest of the world just saw a price increase for ps5 by Sony. PS5s are easier to get now. That might not be the case during the holiday rush.

Hmm...if I had $550, should I buy the Horizon bundle or wait for the newer 1200 series model? I mean, I have made it this long without a PS5 and will probably play mostly PS4 titles on it.

I think the difference in heat and reliability between the launch and future PS5's won't matter much. I think they will all be equally reliable. If you want a PS5, I would get one now. We don't know if the US will see a price increase like in Europe?

I think the difference in heat and reliability between the launch and future PS5's won't matter much. I think they will all be equally reliable. If you want a PS5, I would get one now. We don't know if the US will see a price increase like in Europe?
US didn't get a price hike because the dollar is super strong right now and all the other currencies are falling like the Yen to the dollar so price had to go up else where.

Bad idea. PS5 disc consoles are unlikely to be discounted- the rest of the world just saw a price increase for ps5 by Sony. PS5s are easier to get now. That might not be the case during the holiday rush.
I don't expect disc consoles to be discounted but I do expect a new holiday bundle. I don't think we will see any $500 PS5s this holiday and instead Sony will maintain the $550 bundled price. I just don't expect the Horizon bundle to stick around during the holidays unless they have a lot of inventory they can bundle an extra game with for the same price.

US didn't get a price hike because the dollar is super strong right now and all the other currencies are falling like the Yen to the dollar so price had to go up else where.
The only upside to the inflation nuttiness is that now we're seeing global markets retreat to the dollar, which results in all other currencies falling in value as the dollar rises. In other words, no need to really worry about a price increase for the U.S. market. When you look at the PS5 price increases in other territories, the increases were to return the console in that local currency to $500 USD. If anything, if you're not in the U.S., you should definitely buy it sooner rather than later.

It seems like every store had stock in store this week. Maybe the fake shortage is finally over? It seems the same as Nintendo shenanigans. They purposely make less to create a false hype.
Yeah. They even created a fake pandemic to make it even more believable.

bread's done
Back