Playstation TV for $79.99 (base) / $99.99 (bundle) on Amazon

DarkonJohn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
PlayStation TV $79.99

PlayStation TV DualShock 3 Bundle $99.99

I've been considering getting a Playstation TV so I could play my PS4 games on a second TV at home and while I was browsing the prices on Amazon their price dropped $20 for the base model and $40 for the bundle (with controller, 8GB card and game).

I was hoping for a Black Friday deal, but I decided to bite on the bundle at that price. Hopefully with a wired connection I won't have any lag/connection issues some people have reported when using WiFi connections.

Last edited by a moderator:
When it says very good, does that mean it's used and traded in or that the box is somewhat bashed up? Sorry, never used Amazon - Warehouse Deals before...
from my experience, the very good and like new are usually trade ins and the good rated ones that mention damage to the packaging are the banged up ones. though any of them could go either way, kind of the luck of the draw but i think amazon hesitates to use VG and LN on anything that has damage to the box.

Well I've been waiting for something like this. The vita's library has been perfect for me this year and I've got several games I want to play now, even excluding the incompatible games. I just hope prices don't go lower on BF or for Christmas. Not sure if I'll hop on this yet.

It's a cheap device that fits a need for a subset of gamers who prefer to play games with real controllers on larger screens.  I love mine, but I'm in the minority I guess.  So far I've only used it to play both DanganRonpas on the big screen, but I can't wait to play TOH:R and P4G on it.

And Netflix?  How is anyone on this site who doesn't already have a means of streaming Netflix to their TV in 2014?

i don't care about portability. don't care about ps4 remote play. don't need it for netflix. couldn't care less about apps. i mostly want it for rpg's, psp and vita (never owned a psp). is there any reason i should hold out for a deal on a vita instead? other than ys: memories of celceta.

Yayyyy! I was looking for a deal on one to play a few Vita games on my TV :D I almost bought one yesterday at $80 for used, glad I didn't!

I have a box of pancake mix that streams Netflix. What doesn't stream Netflix these days? I'm sure it'll get added to the PSTV eventually. Even then, the main attraction for me is the VIta library. I'm an RPG/SRPG nut.

Still, not going to bite. I can see this thing losing support in two years. Tops. 

edit* wording

It's a cheap device that fits a need for a subset of gamers who prefer to play games with real controllers on larger screens. I love mine, but I'm in the minority I guess. So far I've only used it to play both DanganRonpas on the big screen, but I can't wait to play TOH:R and P4G on it.

And Netflix? How is anyone on this site who doesn't already have a means of streaming Netflix to their TV in 2014?
The problem is that I already have plenty of game devices in my household and don't "need" another, however, if this device also played Netflix (and other apps like Amazon, Hulu, etc.) and worked with a remote control it would be easier to justify my purchase of another game console because I know it would get used even if I didn't play much on it. I want one to try out and play around with, but I just can't justify it when it can't serve another function outside of that. Because of this, Sony has taken what could have been a stealth play to get gaming and their video and music services in more living rooms by having an Apple TV/Roku/Fire TV competitor and instead introduced an item so limited and so niche that even many gamers are not interested. If Playstation TV had a remote and had just a few decent apps, it could have been a great alternative to those other devices.

EDIT: This also would have been the perfect stealth device to deliver the Playstation Vue service when it comes out, but they've blown it now with such a weak lauch. It's ok, because i'm sure Sony will do a poor job with the Vue service anyway.

So pissed I paid full price at launch, haven't used it since the initial setup. Anyone have problems getting PS4 controllers working with it? I never got mine to work.

I have a box of pancake mix that streams Netflix. What doesn't stream Netflix these days? I'm sure it'll get added to the PSTV eventually. Even then, the main attraction for me is the VIta library. I'm an RPG/SRPG nut.

Still, not going to bite. I can see this thing losing support in two years. Tops.

edit* wording
Two I predict by next E3 it will already be forgotten. I do hope it gets the kinks worked out and when they're going to clearance them out, I'll pick one up.

So pissed I paid full price at launch, haven't used it since the initial setup. Anyone have problems getting PS4 controllers working with it? I never got mine to work.
Should be simple plug it in with the micro usb and then press the ps button on the DS4. It worked for me when I set it up on launch day. After it is synced with the usb you can unplug.

Thanks got $40 off on my launch date bundle. I didn't open it yet and asked them to refund me the money rather than me ship it back, re-buy, and re-ship it to me. Worked out. Feel better with the bundle at $99 than $140 to be honest. 

Thanks got $40 off on my launch date bundle. I didn't open it yet and asked them to refund me the money rather than me ship it back, re-buy, and re-ship it to me. Worked out. Feel better with the bundle at $99 than $140 to be honest.
I did the same. took some convincing of the CSR as the item was delivered 3 weeks ago and their normal price match policy is only 7 days, but he eventually just refunded the $40 difference.

Thank you OP!!!!

Great price for a cool little micro-console.  I got the PSTV at launch and really like it.  Output on the TV looks great, Vita and PSP games look and play fantastic on the big screen, it accepts cartridges as well as digital games on a memory card, and there are plenty of games to play, even considering the unsupported ones. 

Dont even know why they made this considering vita was already dying with the lack of support from dev. My vita is collecting dust now. Might just buy this when its clearance out at like $40-50 just to say i have one. Hehe

Sort of annoying to see keep seeing the same complaints about NetFlix, this is a device running the Vita's OS, so you should expect it to do almost everything the Vita can. I think they should've kept Vita in the name, so that people would connect its existence with the Vita & not TV/movie services. /rant

Anyway, I think the TV seems like a good idea, since you no longer need to worry about battery life and you can use a dual shock 4.

So this is not just a Vita with no screen.
Worse...

Roughly 90% of PS1, 75% of PSP, and 30% of Vita games work on the PSTV

To use any streaming service or remote play PS4 the system actually recommends you have the PS4 and PSTV hooked up by a physical ethernet cable.

The system itself cannot directly stream Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon but instead relies on the PS4 to stream it to the box..... so it doesn't even work as a Roku Alternative.

The other problem is with the PS1 games, it still has a input lag from going from controller to the console, even wired (something I finally fixed on the PS3 by turning off upscaling and playing with a wired controller. The lag is from upscaling not the TV, and has been recorded on all PS3s)

For streamers and lets players like myself.... the console has HDCP enabled, and cannot be disabled by any means. (Though I was toid a splitter WILL work so it can be recorded) The system's output is HDMI only, so if you still use component or composite you're SOL.

Finally you STILL need to buy a Vita Memory Card to use this. There is 1 gig internal, but that won't last you at all.

I had this pre-ordered since way early in the year. When I got it I was exstatic, played it for 3 days straight and was so disappointed I returned it for a full refund.

As with most people, no Netflix = no buy for me. It's a half assed product that is overpriced. Yes, it has the Vita OS...which is made for a touch screen, the ability to play Vita games...but not all of them, the ability to stream movies/music....from very VERY limited services, the ability to stream games via Playstation Now....with absolutely insane and insulting prices, and the ability to remote play/stream your PS4 games....with some lag. Oh, but PSP and PS1 games, yay!

The problem is that it does lots, but nothing 100%. Sony barely supports the Vita themselves and now they've put out a device that's a half assed version of it for your TV. For what it does, it should be $50 at most so that people buy into the games and memory sticks.

I'll wait for the bargain bin, because with Sony's track record of supporting their products, this thing isn't going to get better anytime soon.

As with most people, no Netflix = no buy for me. It's a half assed product that is overpriced. Yes, it has the Vita OS...which is made for a touch screen, the ability to play Vita games...but not all of them, the ability to stream movies/music....from very VERY limited services, the ability to stream games via Playstation Now....with absolutely insane and insulting prices, and the ability to remote play/stream your PS4 games....with some lag. Oh, but PSP and PS1 games, yay!

The problem is that it does lots, but nothing 100%. Sony barely supports the Vita themselves and now they've put out a device that's a half assed version of it for your TV. For what it does, it should be $50 at most so that people buy into the games and memory sticks.

I'll wait for the bargain bin, because with Sony's track record of supporting their products, this thing isn't going to get better anytime soon.
Agreed fully, then there is the problem of STILL needing a Memory card.

I'm in for one but I live in California so I bought it off B&H Photo instead. They don't charge tax to California residents like Amazon does. So I saved about $9, plus free shipping.

Worse...

Roughly 90% of PS1, 75% of PSP, and 30% of Vita games work on the PSTV

To use any streaming service or remote play PS4 the system actually recommends you have the PS4 and PSTV hooked up by a physical ethernet cable.

The system itself cannot directly stream Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon but instead relies on the PS4 to stream it to the box..... so it doesn't even work as a Roku Alternative.

The other problem is with the PS1 games, it still has a input lag from going from controller to the console, even wired (something I finally fixed on the PS3 by turning off upscaling and playing with a wired controller. The lag is from upscaling not the TV, and has been recorded on all PS3s)

For streamers and lets players like myself.... the console has HDCP enabled, and cannot be disabled by any means. (Though I was toid a splitter WILL work so it can be recorded) The system's output is HDMI only, so if you still use component or composite you're SOL.

Finally you STILL need to buy a Vita Memory Card to use this. There is 1 gig internal, but that won't last you at all.

I had this pre-ordered since way early in the year. When I got it I was exstatic, played it for 3 days straight and was so disappointed I returned it for a full refund.
In that case, I'll stick with my Vita and wait for this to be $20 during BF2015. Sony should have just made a Vita 3.0 with mini HDMI out and wireless controller support and be done with it instead of this PS TV crap.

Honestly this would had a chance if they had Netflix at launch
I will never understand the modern human population's mindset

Sony should have just made a Vita 3.0 with mini HDMI out and wireless controller support and be done with it instead of this PS TV crap.
That's actually what the unknown port on the original Vita was for

I will never understand the modern human population's mindset
You see, Netflix is this popular video streaming service. It's so popular, in fact, that it is on virtually every device created. So when a company doesn't see fit to include it on their device, it makes people question the overall competence of the device and how much support the maker is putting behind that device.

You see, Netflix is this popular video streaming service. It's so popular, in fact, that it is on virtually every device created. So when a company doesn't see fit to include it on their device, it makes people question the overall competence of the device and how much support the maker is putting behind that device.
God forbid that people actually buy a gaming console to play games, eh? :wall:

Today was 30th day for return, went into store with just order# walked out with $43, sweet thnx for the heads up OP!

only remote play at home?

if i keep my ps4 on, can i connect to it with this from another place as long as i connect to wifi?
I purchased this primarily to do remote play away from home at my in-laws on Sunday afternoons. It has worked great for me. We both have cable internet with a 50 MB pipe and the quality is not that bad. You will see a slight delay in control, but I was able to get used to it and put many hours into Shadows of Mordor away from home. I'm planning on trying Assassins Creed Unity this weekend. Of course, with the framerate issues, I might not be able to tell a difference :).

Also, I contacted Best Buy last night about their price guarantee and received $20 back. Thanks OP!

Do you really care about Netflix? You have a hundred other devices for that. I'm pretty sure it'll be patched in but if not, oh well. Sounds like people complaining about PS4 not playing music CDs or whatever the issue with that was.
The Wii doesn't play DVD movies!1!11!!!

bread's done
Back