Playstation TV for $79.99 (base) / $99.99 (bundle) on Amazon

DarkonJohn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
PlayStation TV $79.99

PlayStation TV DualShock 3 Bundle $99.99

I've been considering getting a Playstation TV so I could play my PS4 games on a second TV at home and while I was browsing the prices on Amazon their price dropped $20 for the base model and $40 for the bundle (with controller, 8GB card and game).

I was hoping for a Black Friday deal, but I decided to bite on the bundle at that price. Hopefully with a wired connection I won't have any lag/connection issues some people have reported when using WiFi connections.

Last edited by a moderator:
You see, Netflix is this popular video streaming service. It's so popular, in fact, that it is on virtually every device created. So when a company doesn't see fit to include it on their device, it makes people question the overall competence of the device and how much support the maker is putting behind that device.
So what you're saying is people are so damn lazy to pick up a remote to change the input that they'll bitch about a video game machine not being able to have a function people already have a device for because humans love nothing more than whining about the dumbest crap?

Yeah that criticism is discarded, people need to stop being lazy.

You see, Netflix is this popular video streaming service. It's so popular, in fact, that it is on virtually every device created. So when a company doesn't see fit to include it on their device, it makes people question the overall competence of the device and how much support the maker is putting behind that device.
If you're having Netflix problems, I feel bad for you son. I got 99 devices on which Netflix can run.

Eh, I do agree though. I have a Roku in the bedroom, where the Playstation TV would go. But I don't really want a lot of stuff there. If I could get rid of the Roku and replace it with the Playstation TV, that'd obviously be ideal.

And yes, almost everything I have can play Netflix and Hulu, but not every iteration displays captions. The PS3 is consistently the best at it.

Roku is the best. I love mine. And, Hulu and Netflix always display captions, if you go into the settings of each app and turn them on.

I love my vita TV. Bought a used bundle on Amazon for 110 two weeks ago. Loaded all my PSP and the few compatible vita titles I have onto a 32gb card...never would have played them otherwise.......I hate handhelds.

Do you really care about Netflix? You have a hundred other devices for that. I'm pretty sure it'll be patched in but if not, oh well. Sounds like people complaining about PS4 not playing music CDs or whatever the issue with that was.
If you like lower quality products sure buy this failed attempt.

So what you're saying is people are so damn lazy to pick up a remote to change the input that they'll bitch about a video game machine not being able to have a function people already have a device for because humans love nothing more than whining about the dumbest crap?

Yeah that criticism is discarded, people need to stop being lazy.
If you're having Netflix problems, I feel bad for you son. I got 99 devices on which Netflix can run.
Both of you clearly missed the point of my comment. If a device cannot run the most basic of apps (Netflix) like every other device in the world, what does that say about the design and support of the product from the manufacturer? I will be much more interested in this device once Sony shows they are not just dumping their leftover tech on the public. I don't criticize anyone who wants this device for a specific use that currently works. My criticism is towards Sony and how they are presenting and selling a device that appears half baked.

I don't have time for commercials. That's time I could be using to watch more anime.
i don't mind watching commercials to support hulu financially. i mean when you watch cable tv, that you paid for there are commercials. so there is really no difference. plus you are doing a good cause by watching those commercials on hulu. it is almost like giving to the homeless, or the guy on the street corner asking for change every single day.

I paired up my Roku 3 with this in the bedroom and I'm happy with it. However, it is only good for streaming the PS4 wired which I have set up in my house. I tried it with the PS4 wired and the PSTV wireless and it was unplayable. With both wired though it works great. I was able to hit the timing attacks on Costume Quest 2 with no issues so there is not much lag wired. It also plays Persona 4 and a few other solid Vita games so I have no issues with it for the price. Could it be better? Definitely, but I personally would never use a 720P device to stream video to my HDTV so I really don't care if Netflix gets added. I have a Roku for that stuff.

remote play is supposed to be as good as vita's now.   there was a patch a little after release that fixed whatever initial problem people were having.  i love my vita's remote play so am buying a pstv.

I mainly want to use it to play Vita games with cartridge without using Vita. Anything more like stream and apps are definitely a plus for me. ^_^

I went for it, and I'm excited.  All the Vita games I'm really interested in work on PSTV, so it was a no-brainer (I don't have a Vita).  My only regret is that I think I'm going to end up spending a lot of money this month ...

I'm in for one but I live in California so I bought it off B&H Photo instead. They don't charge tax to California residents like Amazon does. So I saved about $9, plus free shipping.
Thanks for the heads up. Purchased mine from B&H today. Now to return the one I got from Gamestop.

And the PS TV ain't one. XD

H-hey guys, at least it's not the ouya amirite?

I'm still holding out for a regular vita. But I bet most stores don't remember they have it at all so it'll never get a sale.
At least you can sideload apps with Ouya (still overpriced shit device; my phone plus PS3 controller ftw)

I'm rather tempted to get Best Buy to price match this, but with a good chunk of software I already own not being compatible, I feel like it's better for me to just stick with my PSP go for my TV-based Playstation shenanigans for now.

Has Sony said anything in regards to make more games compatible?Y's and Soul Sacrifice are two games that work in Japan but not the US. I'm not expecting Tearaway to work for obvious reasons.

I'm rather tempted to get Best Buy to price match this, but with a good chunk of software I already own not being compatible, I feel like it's better for me to just stick with my PSP go for my TV-based Playstation shenanigans for now.
I have multiple PSP Go systems and love them, but output from a PSP Go on a TV looks like crap. Colors are washed out, games are severely letterboxed, and everything looks blurry/fuzzy. The PSTV output is far, far better than anything the Go can produce.

Every time I see the playstation TV I think of the playstation monitor that they put out and keep wanting a second one ugh. They could have come up with a better name for this thing. 

So, contrary to my earlier post, I had a bit of a hashtag yolo moment earlier and picked one up from Walmart.

Protip: If you want the best deal, pick one up from WalMart and get them to price match Amazon. Walmart's bundle includes an extra game in the bundle, the recent Sly Cooper release.

k2-_a4c24a92-2b3f-4f57-9c88-7fbebfd97341.v2.jpg

Going to have to say you're missing out. Not because I think you should own a PS3/PS4/Vita, but a PS TV is really more of a supplement.

Playing sly4 and stuck on the hacking part how do I change out of tank form? Regretting my purchase with how small the compatibility list is

Going to have to say you're missing out. Not because I think you should own a PS3/PS4/Vita, but a PS TV is really more of a supplement.
So is the Playstation TV not worthwhile for PSP, PSX, and Vita software? I'm already kind of waffling on the thing. I might end up returning it tomorrow if I'm not particularly digging it.

At least you can sideload apps with Ouya (still overpriced shit device; my phone plus PS3 controller ftw)
The OUYA does have some excellent games - like Magnetic By Nature, Shadow Blade, and Duck Game, and it's the best $100 I've spent on a gaming device so far. With that said, it does have a TON of shovelware on it, but like all systems with tons of shovelware, there are some excellent games on there as well.

At $100 for the bundle, I'm very tempted to get this. You can't go wrong with having an extra PS3 pad or more Vita storage and it should be easy to offset some of the cost by unloading the LEGO code on ebay.

The only reason why I picked up the PS TV was to stream Vita/PSN games. 

I used coupons on my purchase from Gamestop so returning and rebuying moots all points. 

I think I misplaced my Lego voucher though, doh!

So is the Playstation TV not worthwhile for PSP, PSX, and Vita software? I'm already kind of waffling on the thing. I might end up returning it tomorrow if I'm not particularly digging it.
It most certainly is worthwhile for those games, that's the only reason I bought one. I don't care about streaming or remote play, just using it as a tiny console, and for that purpose, it's well worth it.

A few examples of great PSP games that work with it: Capcom Classics Remixed and Reloaded, Metal Slug and Samurai Shodown Anthologies; classic arcade games that work great on the PSTV.

Price matched at Target. They had already pulled them from the shelves and had to get it from the back. So far I really like it. PS4 remote play via Ethernet is solid. Nice library of vita PS plus titles and cross-buy games to load up on it. I can't believe the Music Unlimited app is not supported that was actual one reason I bought it to stream that in my living room but no dice.

Set it up about an hour ago. The hardware seems solid and the OS is decent enough, but jeez, so many incompatible games. No Spyro games, no Crash Bandicoot titles, no Metal Gear Solid.

I'm gonna play around with it a bit more tonight but I'm thinking I'm gonna box it back up and bring it back tomorrow. I'd rather toss $100 in credit onto my PSP go at this point. :(

Odd how people are talking about returning used products. That is why I examine these kind of things obsessively before buying them from stores. If you didn't want it, don't buy it.

It's odd how people will return used products. That's why I examine everything like this obsessively before purchasing. If you don't want something, don't buy it and use it.

Set it up about an hour ago. The hardware seems solid and the OS is decent enough, but jeez, so many incompatible games. No Spyro games, no Crash Bandicoot titles, no Metal Gear Solid.

I'm gonna play around with it a bit more tonight but I'm thinking I'm gonna box it back up and bring it back tomorrow. I'd rather toss $100 in credit onto my PSP go at this point. :(
The metal gear HD collection isn't working for you?

Same reason it's not on the Vita store in NA, probably some sort of licensing issue. It will work if transferred from a PS3, though (I have it on my PS TV right now and it works).

HD Collection is incompatible because it would require a patch for touch screen stuff (and possibly enabling full controller input). I doubt Konami's going to do it, though.

Will Best Buy price match the PS TV? I don't see the Low Price Guarantee on the product's store page.
Best Buy price matches Amazon.com, so you should be fine.

However, unless you have Best Buy credit to use or aren't buying the "Starter Pack", go to Wal-Mart, as their bundle includes an extra game.

Will Best Buy price match the PS TV? I don't see the Low Price Guarantee on the product's store page.
Yes they will. As long as its the exact same product/bundle.

Picked this up yesterday with some trade credit I had at GameStop.

Great first impression, interface is just like the Vita and controls not to hard to get a hang of. Vita games scale well and look good. The interface is smoother than on the Vita I feel. It does suck that many games don't work on it, especially Ys for me but hopefully in time they will update the library. Put a couple hours into a few Vita games with no control issues.

PS4 Remote Play is good. I have the 3.35 update with my PS4 wired and the PS TV wireless using an Asus RT-N66U router about 45 feet away. I made sure the PS TV was not in wireless power save mode which was on by default and can stream in HIGH settings with minimal lag. I didn't have it before the 3.35 firmware update but I think for most people the streaming issue should be resolved. It only runs at 720p and 30FPS, so of course it won't look as good but convenient for those that want to use it in another room.

It will be nice for me when I have duty and can't go home to be able to play some Vita/PSP/PS1 games on a TV.

I would say its not for everyone but for $100 US for the system, dualshock 3, Lego videogame and an 8gb memory card, it is a great deal.

I actually seriously want one of these when the price drops to $30 on clearance solely for all the great srpgs I've missed out on over the years on Sony products.

bread's done
Back