PlayXBLA's Weekend Challenge

Not exactly a challenge but it's PlayXBLA related:
Everyone dreams of stardom and your avatar is no different! There is of course a price for fame and in this case the currency is dedicating yourself to gaming and lots of it. Sounds rough I know… Should you and your avatar be willing to pay that price then the all new Avatar Famestars program is for you! The exclusive avatar items awarded only in Avatar Famestars marks your avatar as a gaming star! Click Read More to check out all the details of this amazing new way to game, screenshots, and a few of the Avatar item rewards!

Avatar FameStar is a new program from Microsoft Studios that delivers new and exciting ways to play online with your friends and compete for social recognition! Every Avatar FameStar game lets players earn Fame by accomplishing weekly and one time challenges, and with Fame comes rewards! Dress your Avatar with exclusive new outfits and items, and show your achievements off to your friends and competitors. Avatar FameStar puts you in the spotlight, bringing Avatar FameStar games together to reward people who play and compete!

Features:
• Earn Fame in a variety of games, including Wreckateer, and updates to Full House Poker and A World of Keflings to support the new program.
• As you earn Fame, unlock new avatar items and outfits, showing off your skills and achievements inside the games.
• Carry over your Fame from one game to the next – wear your FameStar outfit from Full House Poker in A World of Keflings. As new games release that support Avatar FameStar, you’ll have more ways to show off!
• Future titles that will support Avatar FameStar include Avatar Motocross Madness, Fire Pro Wrestling, and Homerun Stars. Keep an eye out for these and even more exciting new games!

Check out the list below for Avatar Famestar game details, screenshot galleries, and a sneak peak at a few of the avatar awards!
http://playxbla.com/avatarfamestar/

So we all get trials evolution and skins? Didn't they say 2 xbla games? Just disappointed since I have trials and have no interest in skins

Assuming it is. How would I go about trying to trade it with another cag? Hoping I can get spelunky or something. Honestly if it's the case that its 1 game and dlc, I probably wouldn't have bothered since I had to buy eets :whistle2:/

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mikeja72']So we all get trials evolution and skins? Didn't they say 2 xbla games? Just disappointed since I have trials and have no interest in skins[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mikeja72']Assuming it is. How would I go about trying to trade it with another cag? Hoping I can get spelunky or something. Honestly if it's the case that its 1 game and dlc, I probably wouldn't have bothered since I had to buy eets :whistle2:/[/QUOTE]

They said 2 XBLA game codes, so I guess that could be interpreted multiple ways. And this isn't the first time they've given away DLC (they did for Joe Danger and even gave away a worthless Hybrid beta code).

I wouldn't have bothered either, since I had to buy Eets as well. Oh well, live and learn. I won't be buying another full-price game to compete, I'll only go for it if I own all 3. I'm hopeful I can unload my Trials for $5 or so.

Trade here:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281607

Super disappointed by the reward... Trials Evolution, it's alright, but I already have the first one that I didn't even start yet. Minecraft skins, I have the game, but I really wasn't not expecting this...

[quote name='tylerh1701']They said 2 XBLA game codes, so I guess that could be interpreted multiple ways. And this isn't the first time they've given away DLC (they did for Joe Danger and even gave away a worthless Hybrid beta code).

I wouldn't have bothered either, since I had to buy Eets as well. Oh well, live and learn. I won't be buying another full-price game to compete, I'll only go for it if I own all 3. I'm hopeful I can unload my Trials for $5 or so.

Trade here:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281607[/QUOTE]

Thanks, at a quick glance it seems unlikely I'll be able to find someone to trade spelunky for trails evolution, especially by the time I get the codes. Ah well, basically wasted 1200pts.

[quote name='mikeja72']Thanks, at a quick glance it seems unlikely I'll be able to find someone to trade spelunky for trails evolution, especially by the time I get the codes. Ah well, basically wasted 1200pts.[/QUOTE]

Yeah Trials probably won't trade for Spelunky right now (it probably would have last week, since Spelunky was the giveaway game) but if you wait a few days Trials Evo should have some value on the trade thread again. I've found that patience actually does pay off when trading/selling on that thread.

[quote name='Khalid']Too many complaints, they even closed the discussion.[/QUOTE]

LOL that's funny. Especially since the complaints were pretty well thought out criticisms (which they ask for in the post), not just people cursing them.

Anyways, complaints are a good way to get them to stop the promotion all together.

minecraft skins and tials evo. does not sound too good for the people that did the challenge.
and i thought trials evo has already been a prize a couple of times?

[quote name='xbox_man']i thought trials evo has already been a prize a couple of times?[/QUOTE]

Yep. I think this is the third or fourth time Trials Evo has been a prize since it was released two months ago.

I'll see if I can get a comprehensive prize list in the second post. I will need help remembering some weeks.

[quote name='tylerh1701']im thinking wreckateer will be part of the challenge this week, if so ill be out for sure.[/QUOTE]

I think you're right. I won't be able to participate due to my lack of Kinect.

Oddly enough I have a code for wreckateer so pm me if you wanna trade ;-)

end shameless plug lol

Yeah, there should be a direct line from you guys doing the challenges to my PM link every week. Peddle me your codes for Paypal any time!

^Will do. I don't know if I'll compete this week (I really think Wreckateers gonna be one of the challenges) but if I do complete it I'll IM ya.

Awesome, thanks, Tyler! Yeah, you give fair prices unlike a lot of the traders that want close to the retail price. Why would I not just buy discount points and get it myself then? I'm glad you guys do this.

They must be associated with MS somehow to get these codes all the time based on nothing but achievements but, if so, why does their website look like it's from Geocities circa 1996?

[quote name='gubmccargen']Awesome, thanks, Tyler! Yeah, you give fair prices unlike a lot of the traders that want close to the retail price. Why would I not just buy discount points and get it myself then? I'm glad you guys do this.

They must be associated with MS somehow to get these codes all the time based on nothing but achievements but, if so, why does their website look like it's from Geocities circa 1996?[/QUOTE]

I try to give fair prices because A) I like to get the codes off my hands and B) I'm happy to help a CAG out a little bit. There are definitely guys in the trade thread that are absolute pricks when it comes to pricing and trading. I won't name any names, but I have a list of a few names who I know not to make offers to anymore.

The PlayXBLA site is a fucking disaster in appearance, I agree. But it is actually an official MS XBLA website. That is why they have access to so many codes, and why all the games they give away are published by Microsoft Studios (which is why we get so many repeats).

I'm hoping we get a good amount of Deadlight and Dust codes floating around the next few weeks.

I am definitely down for a Deadlight code game looks amazing. hopeing this weekend they offer something with Tony Hawk but its probably doubtful. Sorry for question again but if you already have said Achievement for game does it count or must you start over.

[quote name='bjstucker']I am definitely down for a Deadlight code game looks amazing. hopeing this weekend they offer something with Tony Hawk but its probably doubtful. Sorry for question again but if you already have said Achievement for game does it count or must you start over.[/QUOTE]

Yeah if you've already earned the achievement you're just fine. The last two challenges I've completed I had already earned 4 of the achievements. I can't imagine trying to earn all 7 in one weekend, that would require a lot of playtime.

I don't think we'll see anything Tony Hawk, as it's published by Activision and not MS.

It's posted and it has MAJOR changes.

Biggest change is that you're not guaranteed to win codes if you complete all the achievements. They are only choosing 5 winners. Well, they had a good run...

They posted 4 games, and listed 5 achievements for each game. You need to have 10 achievements (of the 20 possible) to enter the "sweepstakes". I already have more than 10 so that's sweet at least, but it was more fun to know you'd win codes.

Wow, this changed WAY too much to be fun. I'll never buy a game in hopes to win another.

I'm with Strider on this, just when I decide to start doing them they make it no fun.

And I actually would have taken part in this weeks... No way I reach out for non-sale titles when I wouldn't be guaranteed a prize.

[quote name='ZForce915']Wow, this changed WAY too much to be fun. I'll never buy a game in hopes to win another.

I'm with Strider on this, just when I decide to start doing them they make it no fun.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='lordopus99']And I actually would have taken part in this weeks... No way I reach out for non-sale titles when I wouldn't be guaranteed a prize.[/QUOTE]

I feel the exact same way. No way I would even bother to buy a $5 game in order to TRY and win. I like the other way A LOT more. If you haven't already, you all should probably leave your well thought-out feedback in the comments there.

Also, in case anyone missed it, they announced what the prizes were going to be. Minecraft, Wreckateer, and Full House Poker.

Wow, the thread got closed again!
Anyway, I only have Torchlight and have every achievements on it. I am not really interested in any other games at full price and I am really busy this weekend.

[quote name='Khalid']Wow, the thread got closed again!
Anyway, I only have Torchlight and have every achievements on it. I am not really interested in any other games at full price and I am really busy this weekend.[/QUOTE]

Wow they sure did. I find that so odd, since every single comment there seems to be rational and just offering an opinion. Maybe the mods there just struggle with criticism, I don't know...

Yea... I hope they change it back to the old way. I couldn't enter very often,.but when I did at least I know I was going to score some codes. Sucks it's a sweepstakes now.

I still love playxbla though. I have scored so many sweet codes over the past few months on their site.

Like most of you have mentioned... Hope to nab some dead light or dust codes in the coming weeks

After 14 weeks of the PlayXBLA Weekend Cheeve Challenge, to my knowledge [one weekend skipped because of E3], we have a hiccup. I had only participated in Weekend Cheeve Challenge 11 (The Maw, Iron Brigade, and Dungeon Fighter Live), I was motivated to get those time consuming achievements. It was the one weekend where I happened to purchase the new game of the week and had all 3 titles needed to have a chance. I thought the point of the challenges was to drum up some sales for the new title, and maybe put interest in some older XBLA titles.

Sometimes, I just don't have the amount of time to devote to playing games [in particular, that weekend I had a surprise birthday party planned for a loved one, along with logistics it involved, and I'd look quite bad if I were to be all "yeah, happay birhtday, but I gotta play mah vidya gaems cus I need dem cheevmnts, and dey mor important dan you," which is not me], which would explain why I was stressed I would be unable to complete the challenge in time. As it ended out, I was fortunate to balance my time quite well. Although stressful, I understood it was intended to be a challenge.

At the time, I was worried, but in afterthought I had fun. The added bonus was that I actually tackled some games on my backlog. I still will play the games in a less time-concentrated manner. The payoff after that weekend was honest surprise that not only were the prizes games I did not already buy on XBLA (I own a lot), but they were also titles I wanted in passing (wasn't going to pay full price but at 50%, I likely would have purchased)! I had fully expected to get games I had no interest in, such as Joe Danger and Uno Rush.

In the previous format, I had incentive to tackle the backlog. With the new format even though I have 3 of the 4 listed titles, and the achievements appear to be of lesser difficulty, I will still leave them in my backlog. Like Guardian Heroes, I had beaten Radiant Silvergun tons of times on my old Sega Saturn (yes, I actually purchased it for $55 brand new back in the day when I wasn't a CAG) and I purchased the game out of love of my past so I am in no rush to replay it on XBLA with other backlog titles. Torchlight was also a double dipping. I'm also holding off on playing the XBLA Alan Wake until I knock off the main disc title off my backlog first. Due to the sweepstakes drawing nature, I have no motivation for attempting a challenge.

Well, I hope the winners would offer me Minecraft, Full House Poker, and/or last week's Trials Evolution plus Minecraft skins codes for cheap (I lack Kinect to enjoy Wreckateer). Good luck to those that participate in this week's challenge.

I got excited for a second, since i already have all achievements in Alan Wake AN and Radiant Silvergun, then read it's a sweepstakes now with 5 winners. LOL, will not even bother to enter. Plus the prizes are not all that promising. Wreckateer and Minecraft again? No thanks, next time try with Deadlight guys.

Keep in mind the more people enter, more often we will see the cheeve challenge in this way.

After looking at these I already have 5 /10 but do not want to throw down another 1200mps just to "have a chance" to win codes. I guess I am too late :/

Yeah, I feel the same way about fair prices. Really, you are going to hold onto a code for weeks for a couple of dollars? What a shame about the changing of the prizes.

I understand that no one is entitled to anything free but this was an awesome promotion and not one that was particularly easy to qualify for. Not even 100 winners or something every week? It's just a regular old sweepstakes contest now.

Another unfortunate side effect will be the result on the CAG economy! I loved the flood of codes affecting the supply/demand prices every week for those of us who didn't participate. Where are my cheap first-party XBLA games supposed to come from now?

Well, would have purchased Alan Wake if the contest hadn't changed. Hopefully this isn't the new norm, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it is. Good luck to those who participate!

[quote name='tylerh1701']^Congrats. I guess I didn't win.[/QUOTE]

Me either. I am glad to see a CAG did win though. Congrats. Hopefully no more sweepstakes.

[quote name='Wrong']Me either. I am glad to see a CAG did win though. Congrats. Hopefully no more sweepstakes.[/QUOTE]

I think sweepstakes are probably how it will be from now on. Hope I'm wrong though, we'll find out on Friday.

[quote name='tylerh1701']^Congrats. I guess I didn't win.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Wrong']Me either. I am glad to see a CAG did win though. Congrats. Hopefully no more sweepstakes.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I'm still kinda shocked.

Congratulations MidValley! I know from when I got the games from an earlier challenge, it was a good feeling.

When PlayXBLA rewards you, the thought "Microsoft does do something for people who play games on the Xbox 360! It's not all Kinect and music, movies, apps, avatar parts, and countless ads!" does creep in a bit. Sure, I didn't care too much for the videos on the dashboard (aside from Sentuamessage and Nexus were mildly entertaining, shining over the rest of the horrid content) but when Microsoft fires all the community crew (except the biggest shill, Major Nelson), it did present the Xbox 360 in Microsoft's plan to be less game-centric. PlayXBLA seems to be one of the last remaining channels Microsoft leaves open for games.

Of course that's just my view as a consumer, I'm sure Microsoft's view as the producer differs. While it is nice to hear someone winning this drawing, I knew my luck would never have the chance, so I didn't even try. I do have the strange feeling that this new format for the Weekend Cheeve Challenges is the new standard, because it does mean they can give away less (why lose money). Yet, if it remains a drawing, there may be the possibility the handling could go to the eprize group which handles most of the other sweepstakes and Live Rewards. I still hope this format is a temporary one-time experiment.

[quote name='MidValley']After not being able to enter the challenges for two months because I didn't own enough of the games, I randomly win this week. Crazy.[/QUOTE]

Cool so 2 CAG's won then, Certified tweeted that he won the Cheeve challenge this weekend as well.
I finally had all the games listed but as everyone else said just the chance to win made it pointless to get the cheeves. Im hoping it changes next weekend.

bread's done
Back