PlayXBLA's Weekend Challenge

[quote name='tylerh1701']How'd you like ITSP? It could have been great if it was about double the length and a little bit more challenging, but I had a good time with it still.[/QUOTE]

It takes a lot for me to dislike a game. I definitely enjoyed ITSP mainly because it was Metroid (the same reason I loved Shadow Complex). It flaunts being unique by also having aspects of a twin-stick shooter and also having smooth animation conveying visual depth.

I cannot complain too much about game length, because I am unable to spend too much time on video games, so I appreciate a concise focused full experience which can be completed in a short time span such that the game doesn't overstay its welcome. One of the reason why I take 4 times as long to beat games than every other average game player is because I play without guides and will rub up against every wall to try to legitimately find everything my first time through a game (and for ITSP, I ended out missing just 1 artifact, and it was an obvious one from early in the game). The puzzles were typically solvable without going too far out of your way and map was well placed such that for a Metroid-type game isn't filled with too much backtracking (part of their nature) also accounts for a shorter play time but concise. However, I can see once you beat the campaign, there is little reason to revisit it anytime soon (aside from just 100% collection) because you've practically had your full experience.

You are probably better than I at video games (I am just a casual player) but the lack of challenge could be because of the many respawn points which heals you, separates enemies from different sections, along with the lack of a penalty for death (which I prefer, since punishment is typically not fun for me), and I died a few times in my play through because sometimes I was not familiar with a situation when I initially come across them. The multiplayer modes sound like where the game gains some longevity and enjoyable co-op experience carrying a lantern away from a chasing enemy with a randomly generated play space. So I guess the challenge lies there and rounds out the game package. Yet, I feel it is a bit overpriced at 1200MSP, but at 800 or less (I got it on sale when it was at 600MSP) I feel I got the money's worth of enjoyment from the purchase.

Oh yeah, the achievements are pretty painless to get. So I'm sure most here didn't have any problem attaining them for this past Achievement Challenge. It's coming close to evening in my area of the US, and I have not received an e-mail nor Xbox message, so I will just assume I didn't win this last weekend, but I am still happy I closed another title off my backlog and had fun in the process. Also, now after playing the game, the DLC interests me, and I hope it goes on sale. If you or anyone has it, tell me about it because I would also love to know ^^.

Last edited by a moderator:
^I paid full price for it when it first released (not sure why) so that's probably why I felt disappointed with the length. For 600msp it's a great game!

Well, I have 2 of the 4 games, and have all the achievements for the 2 I do have. So if I want to participate in this weekend's challenge, I will have to buy either Orcs Must Die or Mark of the Ninja. Neither game is worth 1200MSP for me based on my initial impressions, and they sure are not worth 1200MSP for a chance to be one of the 5 who gets this weekend's challenge prizes. I entered the previous two weeks because I already made my purchases and came out with nothing, so I do not feel much urge to spend to try again.

I heard good things about Mark of the Ninja, yet it doesn't interest me enough at 1200MSP, now it will have to be priced at 600MSP or less for me to purchase (I would have considered it had it been 800MSP on release). I keep confusing Orcs Must Die with Dungeon Defenders but I believe Dungeon Defenders is the game I'd likely prefer on other platforms with their exclusive content. While Orcs Must Die didn't convince me well enough to purchase even when it was on discount, yet I know others on CAG did enjoy the game especially on the discount (perhaps I was in the wrong mood when I was playing the trial).

Once again, good luck to those who are going to enter.

EDIT: tylerh1701: I would guess it is because you enjoyed the Summer of Arcade refund especially since you probably had wanted other Summer of Arcade titles in the same year, so ITSP probably rounded out the set you purchased, so you can think of that game as the discounted one so it probably wasn't that bad (but the lingering thought of it being a by default 1200MSP title does give it that "not worth it feel"). I didn't have the benefit of a refund, I purchased the titles when they went on discount (New Years countdown, I think), this past Summer of Arcade I probably would have purchased 3 titles on release, had I known the refund was 1600MSP [I wanted Tony Hawk's and Dust, so it would have been a free game along with a 400MSP discount on one of the two titles I had wanted even at full price (probably THPSHD, cus it was easier to pass at 1200 knowing there will be DLC I would want for the title too forcing me to wait on a better discount)].

I have 3 of the 4 games (all but Mark of the Ninja) but being able to enter this week would involve beating Dishwasher: Vampire Smile again. I'm not going to do that (as Crono mentioned, it's just not worth either the money or time commitments to enter anymore since it's a sweepstakes) so I didn't bother to see if I had all the other ones.

@Crono - I thought Orcs Must Die was only 'ok' at 600msp, it's definitely not worth 1200msp. Mark of the Ninja is apparently great, but my backlog is too big to justify buying anything at full price.

And I actually only bought ITSP and Bastion from SoA that year, so I didn't get any reward at all. Both games just kind of hooked me. And yes, I definitely would have bought 3 SoA games this year if I would have know they'd (mistakenly?) give out 1600msp instead of 400msp as the reward.

First time since they changed over to the sweepstakes that I won.
Im just wondering if no one wanted to bother with Spelunky or Lode Runner, plus having a Kinect title usually drops some people out too.
Havent heard anyone else winning this weekend. Where are the other winners?

[quote name='downsouthtigger']First time since they changed over to the sweepstakes that I won.
Im just wondering if no one wanted to bother with Spelunky or Lode Runner, plus having a Kinect title usually drops some people out too.
Havent heard anyone else winning this weekend. Where are the other winners?[/QUOTE]

Congratulations! Great to hear/read a CAG won!

While Spelunky exploits my perfect storm of being unlucky, unskilled, uncoordinated, lacking the time, and just plain stupid, I still managed to get the 4 achievements they were asking for that title. However, I did not own any of the other 3 titles nor a Kinect, so it was really inconvenient and cost prohibitive for me to even try for an entry last weekend.

I am glad to see this thread get dusted off again, but with good news this time ^^.

I completely spaced on this again this weekend, but it's ok because I wouldn't have bothered to play Keflings and Fire Pro to enter.

Funny how this challenge went from tons of hype to next-to-worthless.

[quote name='tylerh1701']I completely spaced on this again this weekend, but it's ok because I wouldn't have bothered to play Keflings and Fire Pro to enter.

Funny how this challenge went from tons of hype to next-to-worthless.[/QUOTE]

That's okay, I didn't have any Avatar Famestar games, so I too wouldn't have participated last weekend. This thread has fallen onto neglect, I believe for the Challenges' change of format which are more exclusionary but probably necessary with the volume of entrants in its previous format.

However the improvement of the prize offerings of the new format still intrigues me. I still wonder when I win, if I could request for prizes Street Fighter II Turbo, Excalibur, and Earth Defense tables for the original Pinball FX (1) since I still own the game and it is listed in the "games" section (but not Pinball FX2) on playxbla.com. In its time, I waited for a long time and those tables never got any discount. Since then the original Pinball FX got delisted for its sequel which ruined the scoring for the original tables. That is the reason I still desire the tables for the original despite the slightly looser physics (because FX2 wanted to make 1mil be meaningful, they never adjusted the displays to reflect scoring changes from "score multiplied" to "does nothing" effectively nullifying a large number mission/quest/tasks, seriously in Pinball FX2 the classic tables will multiply your score by a factor then immediately multiply by the reciprocal of that same factor). It is a long shot, but it may be worth it for me to win one of these recent challenges just to know, because I still boot up the original once in a while to play. So for me, it is still a slight step over net-to-worthless.

Gonna bump this in case anyone still cares about it.

I won this week and they asked me to submit a list of 5 games I wanted from their "GAMES" page, just in case they didn't have a couple of the ones I wanted. I submitted:

1. Ancients of Ooga
2. Banjo Kazooie
3. Banjo Tooie
4. Minecraft
5. Mark of the Ninja

For some reason she didn't get my email the first time I sent it (Monday night) so I resent this morning and she got back to me fairly quickly. Except she said the only one she had was Minecraft, and asked if there was any other ones I wanted. I listed off a few more, and just told her if she didn't have any of those then she could just send me 2 random games from whatever she had.

Just posting this to let you guys know that they probably don't have a lot of what is on their "Games" list available, I know a few people had their eye on a few older games. Pretty disappointing, but hopefully I can get a few bucks for these games. I think I'm done entering though, doesn't seem like there's many games to actually "win" anyway.

I had completely forgotten about this and thought they stopped doing it a few weeks ago. Kind of shows how much interest in it has tanked since they stopped guaranteed prizes.

[quote name='GunstarRed']I had completely forgotten about this and thought they stopped doing it a few weeks ago. Kind of shows how much interest in it has tanked since they stopped guaranteed prizes.[/QUOTE]

I luckily remembered to get my submission in Sunday afternoon (already had all the cheevos) but there's been plenty of weeks where I've completely spaced it as well.

bread's done
Back