PlayXBLA's Weekend Challenge

[quote name='Antarael Dulacre']I wonder if there will be any deadlight in this weekend challenge...*waiting for it to appear*[/QUOTE]

Hopefully, super easy achievements.

There really shouldn't be all that many entries, so for those that can do this, they'll have a decent shot at winning.

I have no Kinect so I'm automatically out.

Lets see how this works this weekend. I actually have all 4 games & a good number of cheeves. If it wasnt for that double post cheeve in Limbo Id submit already. The 12 cheeves was ridiculous if you only had 3 out of the 4 games. To add insult to injury having to have 1 cheeve in each game? A bit far. Im hopeful turnout will be low as I dont have Spelunky or Dungeon Fighter yet.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']I just want the guaranteed prizes back.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Sweepstakes are ridiculous.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']I just want the guaranteed prizes back.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='tylerh1701']It's posted. It's even dumber than last week.[/QUOTE]

I certainly agree. In the previous format (own all 3, get 7 of 9 achievements, two unknown prizes earned) it encouraged purchase of the new, and sometimes some old XBLA titles. That I felt was beneficial to the Xbox brand by a marketing standpoint by showing a focus on a gaming community and helps in bolstering sales for the new titles of the week.

The format went from bad (own at least 2 of 4, get 10 of 20 achievements, 3 known prizes for 5 randomly drawn winners) to worse (own all 4, get 12 of 16 achievements, for 3 known prizes for 5 randomly drawn winners). The only improvement are the 3 known prizes. Perhaps an alternative is to give 1 prize to participants and 2 more to the randomly drawn of the population of qualifiers, which I feel could alleviate the "wasting of time" factor of doing a challenge (since the PlayXBLA challenges tend to have some of the more time consuming achievements required at some point). Yet, I think it is just the PlayXBLA team (person?) probably doesn't want to sift through so many entries. It's my opinion that it is also to Microsoft's character to go from a good idea to a bad one and stick with the bad for Xbox.

I know MS wants to emphasize Kinect. It would have bothered me less if there were a weekend with two or more Kinect XBLA titles to get a Kinect title and something else. In this weekend's challenge, it just seems like an added layer of restriction. I don't own a Kinect, but I know it is not worth me purchasing the peripheral (or finding a means to use one) and purchasing the one Kinect title, just to have a chance, a chance, to get something. That and I still gotta get everything else aside from Limbo =P.

With the challenges getting less inclusive, I've already started to change my habit of checking the PlayXBLA website every Friday to just visiting this thread instead to tell if I can even try to get something. The trend to get less and less to participate implies that either participants are made of time (by them requiring more achievements), or had already bought and played through the choice games prior to the challenge. PlayXBLA doesn't encourage me to get off my current title I am working off my backlog to really work on other (XBLA) titles in my backlog, which was the side benefit of the one weekend where I did participate.

Good luck to those who qualify.

[quote name='Wrong']Agreed. Sweepstakes are ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

I don't know. Sometimes there were "play and win" or "download and win" with some minor requirements offered on the dashboard. You download a registration gamerpic/theme, play some game real fast on Xbox Live, and you may randomly get something. I always wanted to win those with 10000+ Microsoft points drawings so I can buy all the ridiculously priced DLC I would have normally not purchased (like say all of the Otomedius Excellent DLC ^^). I no longer get those ads on my dashboard for those sweepstakes because I block the ad server, so I have to seek the sweepstakes out if I want to. As for PlayXBLA, the change of format to a sweepstakes is within their prerogative, but I think it loses most of its spirit to encourage people to, you know, play some XBLA titles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I was one of the 5 winners of this weekend's challenge. I almost forgot about it and was going to get some achievements last night, but it turns out I already had 12! Too bad I already own all 3 games. any other CAGs win?

So... why did you even enter?

[quote name='garrett007']Well I was one of the 5 winners of this weekend's challenge. I almost forgot about it and was going to get some achievements last night, but it turns out I already had 12! Too bad I already own all 3 games. any other CAGs win?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='garrett007']Well I was one of the 5 winners of this weekend's challenge. I almost forgot about it and was going to get some achievements last night, but it turns out I already had 12! Too bad I already own all 3 games. any other CAGs win?[/QUOTE]

Congrats.

Congratulations! I hope to be as lucky with one of these drawings as you one day.

I have 2 of the 4 games, but not at all interested in Hybrid or Section 8.

But it's really cool that the winners get to pick which games they want from that list. Although a lot of them are old as dirt.

I too am missing 2 of the 4: Toy Soldiers: Cold War (passed up on it when it was last on sale) and Hybrid. The other two games have a big fat 0 for the gamerscore I have attained for the titles. The sweepstakes nature plus the requirement to purchase 2400MSP of games just makes it not worth the effort for me. Granted the prize is outstanding and I'd likely request codes for Crysis, Deathsmiles 2X, and probably some costly DLC that likely won't see a sale (VF5:FS/SSF4:AE complete costume pack?). Assuming the format stays similar for these Weekend Cheeve Challenges, all I can hope for is that they will ask for titles I already own that I have the majority of requested achievements already, just because of the chance nature of a sweepstakes.

At least next Wednesday, I had intended to get Dust: An Elysian Tail even at 1200MSP, which may be a title required for the following Weekend Cheeve Challenge. However, since I am still working on my backlog, I may hold off on the purchase of Dust: An Elysian Tail and wait for a sale because I intend to do that with the other two Summer of Arcade titles I wanted (Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD and Deadlight). So come next Friday, that may determine if I bite and do what I had wanted to do and get Dust: An Elysian Tail asap or continue to work on the backlog.

EDIT: Ack, I realize the page said "games page" (on PlayXBLA) not "games tab" (from the dashboard) ... this makes the selection of 3 a little less worthwhile. So, I guess replace my silly non-Microsoft Games Studios choices with Pinball FX2 packs and other DLC. The point remains: I am not encouraged to attempt the challenge with a full effort unless I get great incentive.

No CAG who reads this thread, willing to post, and won last week's challenge drawing? I wouldn't mind knowing what you chose for your 3 titles ^^. You'd have a big fact "congratulations" from me ^^.

At least this week's WAC has eased up a bit. Also all to the theme with the Summer of Arcade, so if you went for the 400MSP rebate (so long as that didn't involve the Tony Hawk's) at least you'd have a shot. It's still a drawing, so good luck to those who can and will try.

At least that determines, when I will get Dust: An Elysian Tail. I had intended on getting it, even at 1200MSP, but now I know I can still work on my backlog until I have the huge urge to play it or a sale happens.

Ya, the sweepstakes really killed 95% of the interest in this for me. I'll always check and enter if I have the achievements, but it's just an afterthought at this point, rather than something I was looking forward to starting my weekend with.

I scored Dust today from an awesome CAG on the trade thread, and already have 400/400 on Deadlight, but ZERO interest in Hybrid and no Kinect means I'm out this week.

Man, Tyler, you are the hawk of the trading thread. I haven't even anyone there with Dust yet. Maybe not the right thread for it but let us know your thoughts on it somewhere. I'm going to try out the demo and maybe pick it up at full price if the hype is right. Bring back the guaranteed prizes!

[quote name='gubmccargen']Man, Tyler, you are the hawk of the trading thread. I haven't even anyone there with Dust yet. Maybe not the right thread for it but let us know your thoughts on it somewhere. I'm going to try out the demo and maybe pick it up at full price if the hype is right. Bring back the guaranteed prizes![/QUOTE]

Funny you should say that, I was watching that thread like a hawk since Monday trying to score a code at any price (because I was gonna buy it for full price anyway, so I figured any discount would be ok).

There were 2 guys on Monday who had the game, but I was beat to the punch on one (I PM'd the guy about 15 mins after he posted and someone had already beat me to it) and the other guy only wanted to trade for games, not sell it. Anyway, I didn't see any more pop up all week. Then out of the blue, the first guy PM'd me on Friday saying he got another code and asked if I wanted it before he posted it on the trade thread. It was totally awesome of him and I scooped it up.

/CoolStoryBro

Anyway, I've played about 2.5 hours and its really awesome. Can't wait to get back into it.

Wow, nice score. I was fortunate to find a code from one of my favorite traders now. It wasn't a huge discount but, like you, I was going to pay full price anyway. I'm just getting into it and really having fun so far.

New challenge up Joy Ride Turbo, Joe Danger, Trials Evolution, and Hydro Thunder Hurricane. And you must meet have at least 1 Achievement in each game to coincide with the required 12 total Achievements. Prizes are by random drawing again. I'm out because I don't have Hyrdro Thunder.

WOW, for some reason I thought I was missing one of these games, but I actually have them all. Now I need to see how many achievements I have, maybe I can enter.

EDIT: I have 11 of the 12. I'll get 1 more and enter. Also funny that they closed down the comments already. WTF is up with that?

GF was over here this weekend haven't had time until this evening...do have all 4 games had none of the achievements...started 4 hours ago finished two hours ago...lol

First time ever I completed a challenge...

I noticed shortly after my first message I actually had enough of the achievements. This is the first time I've ever done this so I admit to being out of the loop.

Did all I have to was just send my gamertag link? If so, good, because I didn't mention anything else in the e-mail. I assume title didn't matter too much either as I tried looking that up and didn't see anything.

[quote name='JStryke']I noticed shortly after my first message I actually had enough of the achievements. This is the first time I've ever done this so I admit to being out of the loop.

Did all I have to was just send my gamertag link? If so, good, because I didn't mention anything else in the e-mail. I assume title didn't matter too much either as I tried looking that up and didn't see anything.[/QUOTE]

You should be all set then....but having enough achievements wasn't the only thing...hope you have at least 1 in each game...otherwise your entry will not be accepted...

[quote name='Antarael Dulacre']You should be all set then....but having enough achievements wasn't the only thing...hope you have at least 1 in each game...otherwise your entry will not be accepted...[/QUOTE]

I had a minimum of three of each for all four. Now it's just a matter of hoping I win. I also hope there's a way to find out if you lost if you don't get a message, but I'm doubting it.

[quote name='JStryke']I had a minimum of three of each for all four. Now it's just a matter of hoping I win. I also hope there's a way to find out if you lost if you don't get a message, but I'm doubting it.[/QUOTE]

If you don't hear from them today, you lost.

Also, someone will probably come here and post "I won", so you can check your messages then, and if you don't have anything, you lost.

[quote name='tylerh1701']This thread appears to be dead, but I entered it this week. I actually had all 16 cheevos.[/QUOTE]

Same here, already had them all...second time I finished a challenge hope to win this time...but I think there are many entries this time...

Usually they send mails to the winners on monday, so if you you don't get a mail today you haven't won probably... (but maybe the will choose winners tuesday this time because of PAX we will see)

And I'm not sure but I think it isn't the first time you can choose your prize...

Wish they still had guaranted prizes for finishing the challenges instead of picking 5 winners...anyway good luck to all entrants! *fingers crossed*

First time entry for me as well. First time I had all the games, but needed to get a bunch of achievements (only had 3 qualifying ones in Braid and 1 each in Super Meat Boy and Splosion Man). Weren't too bad to get 3 in each. Glad the thread was bumped last night.

[quote name='Antarael Dulacre'](but maybe the will choose winners tuesday this time because of PAX we will see)[/QUOTE]

Today's also a holiday, another reason they might not pick until tomorrow.

[quote name='Antarael Dulacre']Sooo anyone got a mail today? =/[/QUOTE]

Nope. I was away from my Xbox this weekend, but I actually had every achievement on the list. Hopefully we'll see a CAG winner (or just an announcement that the prizes have gone out).

So I guess no CAGs won last week, or if they did, they didn't bother to post it.

Anyways, it just hit me that I DON'T like the way they let the winners choose three games each. Before, when you didn't get to choose your codes, it meant a lot of games hit the CAG trade thread. Now that winners can choose, they're probably choosing the games they want for themselves, which means less codes for the trade thread.

Finished the WE challnege today but will keep on playing HMH to get ALL the achevements fun game...love the challenges for forcing me to do my backlog stuff haha =D

Another week where I had all of the achievements for the challenge. HMH is awesome, probably some of the most fun I've had with an XBLA game. Hopefully some CAGs win this week!

Blowing the dust and cobwebs off of this thread which appears to be in abandonment due to apathy from the sweepstakes nature of the challenges. Last week was the first time I entered since the format changed to a sweepstakes because I already had 12 of the achievements from 3 titles and it did not require me to have the fourth title. This weekend, I entered as well because I had all 4 titles, but only had 9 of the 12 required achievements; so I either had to actually play beyond the early minutes of Half Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax or remove Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet from my backlog. I chose the latter, because I read the game takes about 4 hours to complete (which I always multiply by 4 due to my slow game playing).

I too used to love the "Weekend Cheeve Challenges" (challenge for guaranteed prizes) because they incentivized me towards clearing my backlog, the current "Weekend Achievement Challenge" (random drawing from qualifiers) format just tells me to participate only if zero to minimal effort is necessary. The challenge for me is still to find enough time to actually be on my Xbox and remove backlog items, and still a fun goal to try to complete in the short time frame [short for me because I definitely don't have but wish to have all hours of a weekend to devote to XBLA games with my slow play, unlike others]. However, my perceived purpose or nature of PlayXBLA weekend challenges was to 'encourage purchase of the new XBLA title of the week or older XBLA titles players passed on' and 'to simply play some XBLA titles' hasn't really panned out for me with the last two times I participated; it just seems like 'something to do out of convenience' because I have yet to purchase a XBLA title for a weekend challenge.

I am glad I could at least participate the last two weekends, like times of old with the set award. I sure hope I get picked amongst the 5 this weekend, because I sure wasn't last weekend. I still had fun, and I wish you luck in the drawing as well.

Just wanted to say I won a Plants vs. Zombies Pinball FX 2 table code :D. I designed my table in MSpaint, lol, cuz I really don't have any photoshop skills (or any other artistic skills for that matter XD). Mine was the "School Stinks" table, heh, if you looked through any of them on the PlayXBLA site.

[quote name='Crono-00']Blowing the dust and cobwebs off of this thread which appears to be in abandonment due to apathy from the sweepstakes nature of the challenges. Last week was the first time I entered since the format changed to a sweepstakes because I already had 12 of the achievements from 3 titles and it did not require me to have the fourth title. This weekend, I entered as well because I had all 4 titles, but only had 9 of the 12 required achievements; so I either had to actually play beyond the early minutes of Half Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax or remove Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet from my backlog. I chose the latter, because I read the game takes about 4 hours to complete (which I always multiply by 4 due to my slow game playing).

I too used to love the "Weekend Cheeve Challenges" (challenge for guaranteed prizes) because they incentivized me towards clearing my backlog, the current "Weekend Achievement Challenge" (random drawing from qualifiers) format just tells me to participate only if zero to minimal effort is necessary. The challenge for me is still to find enough time to actually be on my Xbox and remove backlog items, and still a fun goal to try to complete in the short time frame [short for me because I definitely don't have but wish to have all hours of a weekend to devote to XBLA games with my slow play, unlike others]. However, my perceived purpose or nature of PlayXBLA weekend challenges was to 'encourage purchase of the new XBLA title of the week or older XBLA titles players passed on' and 'to simply play some XBLA titles' hasn't really panned out for me with the last two times I participated; it just seems like 'something to do out of convenience' because I have yet to purchase a XBLA title for a weekend challenge.

I am glad I could at least participate the last two weekends, like times of old with the set award. I sure hope I get picked amongst the 5 this weekend, because I sure wasn't last weekend. I still had fun, and I wish you luck in the drawing as well.[/QUOTE]

How'd you like ITSP? It could have been great if it was about double the length and a little bit more challenging, but I had a good time with it still.

bread's done
Back