Please Lock This Thread, No Longer Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Orangeruffy']I'm not planning to do anything online, such as XBL, buying demos, marketplace, etc. As for being backwards compatible, I have the original Xbox.

So if I got the core version, without the HD or a memory card, would there be games I could not play and or save on? (Someone told me I would not be able to play certain games or save them without an HD or a memory card)

Basically I'm looking to get a core system and simply play Xbox360 games. No online, no wireless controllers, nothing fancy, just fun games. Could I?[/quote]If you're going Core than make sure to buy Memory Cards, other than that, sure..you could just pick that up and play the games if you're not interested in Xbox Live.

is it possible to transfer saved games from the original xbox? I don't think I've ever seen the answer to that, even though the question was just asked on the last page...

[quote name='nasum']is it possible to transfer saved games from the original xbox? I don't think I've ever seen the answer to that, even though the question was just asked on the last page...[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Trakan']To answer your first question, I think there's a 3rd party transfer pack type deal, but you'd need memory cards for both of the systems. I think.[/quote]
There ya go.

Is it worth paying for an extended warranty for one of the newer systems and will MS fix newer systems for free (I already know they make you pay to ship them out)?

[quote name='LiquidNight']Is it worth paying for an extended warranty for one of the newer systems and will MS fix newer systems for free (I already know they make you pay to ship them out)?[/QUOTE]

Yes it's worth it, it will never not be worth it. For $50 they will replace it for 2 years if anything goes wrong. Very worth it.

I have heard mixed about shipping, I think they pay for shipping sometimes.

Didn't want to make a new thread for this, but with my new 360 I just got, I can hear the disk being read...if that makes any sense. Its a very high pitch noise, and I dont remember my old 360 doing this sound.

Does anyone else get this?

[quote name='seanr1221']Didn't want to make a new thread for this, but with my new 360 I just got, I can hear the disk being read...if that makes any sense. Its a very high pitch noise, and I dont remember my old 360 doing this sound.

Does anyone else get this?[/QUOTE]
Yes, but in my experiences it isn't as frequent and as high pitched as PS2 and I have only noticed it a few times. Is it doing it constantly on all games? If it is I would exchange it if you bought it from B&M.

[quote name='seanr1221']Didn't want to make a new thread for this, but with my new 360 I just got, I can hear the disk being read...if that makes any sense. Its a very high pitch noise, and I dont remember my old 360 doing this sound.

Does anyone else get this?[/QUOTE]

Mine definitely makes a whiring sound, but it's not high pitched.

[quote name='LiquidNight']Is it worth paying for an extended warranty for one of the newer systems and will MS fix newer systems for free (I already know they make you pay to ship them out)?[/QUOTE]

Just buy it at costco. Multiple year warranty for free and price protection to boot.

[quote name='Trevor']Just buy it at costco. Multiple year warranty for free and price protection to boot.[/quote]I got it with the $100 rebate through Microcenter and there's no going back now, since the nearest Microcenter is like 200 miles away.
I'm having my relatives bring one down for me with them when they arrive for Thanksgiving, which should be in < 3 hours :D.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Yes it's worth it, it will never not be worth it. For $50 they will replace it for 2 years if anything goes wrong. Very worth it.[/QUOTE]Alright, thanks.

Hey guys (first post woot) 2 questions (sorry if they've been asked before but there's 23 pages to go through)
1.I'm lousy with internet types can I get 360 online with comcast cable internet?
2.Unless I've misunderstood there's no way to get wireless without the adapter is it compatible with Linksys routers (I have the wireless G)?

[quote name='ShieldMiser']Hey guys (first post woot) 2 questions (sorry if they've been asked before but there's 23 pages to go through)
1.I'm lousy with internet types can I get 360 online with comcast cable internet?
2.Unless I've misunderstood there's no way to get wireless without the adapter is it compatible with Linksys routers (I have the wireless G)?

Thanks:)[/quote] 1. Yes, COMCAST is a high-speed internet connection (and it's what I use) so that is perfectly fine.

2. If you have either of the following models of Linksys, you are good to go:
BEFSR41 (v3)
BEFW11S4 (v4)
WRT54G (v1, v2, v3)
WRT54GS (v2
WRT5AG (v2)

*taken from here*

I've got a quick question. I know about the whole 3 rings of death bit but ive finally decided its worth the risk compared to the games i want. I was just wondering, can you buy a warranty from MS *BEFORE* your 360 dies? like can i just call them up any ol day when i get my 360 and ask for the extended warranty?

[quote name='Tokubetsu']I've got a quick question. I know about the whole 3 rings of death bit but ive finally decided its worth the risk compared to the games i want. I was just wondering, can you buy a warranty from MS *BEFORE* your 360 dies? like can i just call them up any ol day when i get my 360 and ask for the extended warranty?[/QUOTE]
Yes you can buy a warranty from MS. No you can't call them up "on any ol day" you only have 90 days from the date of purchase to buy the extended warranty from MS.

[quote name='spoo']Yes you can buy a warranty from MS. No you can't call them up "on any ol day" you only have 90 days from the date of purchase to buy the extended warranty from MS.[/quote] That's good to know, thanks.

Quick question...I've had my 360 since about May and I just purchased an HDTV. I'm curious what the difference in graphics will be like if I switch from component to VGA. Will it be a lot better or is it even worth the purchase of the cables?

Didn't see this in the OP.

Hardware question from a newbie --

Why does my power cord not have a grounding pin? I just bought a 360 today and it only has two prongs.

Is this normal?

Mfg date for the console is 8/2006.

Thanks.

[quote name='gsr']Hardware question from a newbie --

Why does my power cord not have a grounding pin? I just bought a 360 today and it only has two prongs.

Is this normal?

Mfg date for the console is 8/2006.

Thanks.[/quote]

I've gone through 4 consoles. 2 had the pin and 2 didn't. Seems like the more recently manufactured consoles don't have the pin. I currently don't have a grounding pin and it's been running fine.

[quote name='Lieutenant Dan']Is VGA the way to get the best picture out of your 360?[/QUOTE]

It's no worse than any other method.

Some people say it "washes out the colors," and at first I agreed after seeing it briefly on other monitors. Then when I actually bought one and hooked it to my TV, I didn't mind it at all. The argument could easily be made that the colors via component are too intense, so the VGA actually displays things correctly.

Regardless, VGA is the way to go right now since they are STILL stalling on a fucking HDMI cable/dongle - no way to upscale your DVDs and/or watch HD-DVDs in 1080p without it. That said, if you don't CARE about upscaling DVDs or watching HD-DVDs in 1080p (and the 1080p vs. 1080i/720p argument is a whole other can of worms), then the component cables will be fine for you, and you'll still be able to play the games in 1080p as long as the set accepts it.

1) Is the x360 much stable now than many months ago? Like less Circle of Doom, Overheat, Scratch disc?

2) Back then I remember that people first got the x360, after an amount of the playing, they take the disc out and the disc is hot. Is it still like that? If it's true, I don't want to pay $60 bucks for a game and then the x360 damage the disc with all the hotness.

3) Since next year is only 1 month away, maybe if I hold out 2-3 more months until MS release the new chip version on the x360? More stable and less heat require?

Thanks for the advices guys.

[quote name='KaneRobot']It's no worse than any other method.

Some people say it "washes out the colors," and at first I agreed after seeing it briefly on other monitors. Then when I actually bought one and hooked it to my TV, I didn't mind it at all. The argument could easily be made that the colors via component are too intense, so the VGA actually displays things correctly.

Regardless, VGA is the way to go right now since they are STILL stalling on a fucking HDMI cable/dongle - no way to upscale your DVDs and/or watch HD-DVDs in 1080p without it. That said, if you don't CARE about upscaling DVDs or watching HD-DVDs in 1080p (and the 1080p vs. 1080i/720p argument is a whole other can of worms), then the component cables will be fine for you, and you'll still be able to play the games in 1080p as long as the set accepts it.[/QUOTE]

VGA upscales DVD's... maybe not to 1080p but it does upscale. It was included in the Spring update for 2006, I believe.

[quote name='Roufuss']VGA upscales DVD's... maybe not to 1080p but it does upscale. It was included in the Spring update for 2006, I believe.[/quote]

Call me crazy, but, ummm... what does upscale mean?

[quote name='Lieutenant Dan']Call me crazy, but, ummm... what does upscale mean?[/quote]
You're crazy

and upscale means to go from normal looking resolution to better (i.e. 480p -> 720p)

this isn't really related, but if u get MS extended warrenty and charge it with a CC with purchase protection. do you get double the coverage then? or do they only consider the initial pruchase warrenty (3months that will be doubled)

[quote name='Lieutenant Dan']Call me crazy, but, ummm... what does upscale mean?[/QUOTE]
Instead of displaying DVD movies in 480p it will display them in 720p/1080i/1080p (whatever you have as your default resolution.)

[quote name='amicus']this isn't really related, but if u get MS extended warrenty and charge it with a CC with purchase protection. do you get double the coverage then? or do they only consider the initial pruchase warrenty (3months that will be doubled)[/QUOTE]
Good question I would call your CC company since all of them have different rules and ask them.

(sorry about the DP)

Upscale means, when you are watching a DVD it usually outputs at 480p. With the recent update, the 360 connected through VGA will upscale the DVD to 720p, 1080i, or 1080p. This provides a better picture.

[quote name='zewone']Upscale means, when you are watching a DVD it usually outputs at 480p. With the recent update, the 360 connected through VGA will upscale the DVD to 720p, 1080i, or 1080p. This provides a better picture.[/quote]

But I assume the picture isn't as good as a DVD that's in true 720p or 1080p, right?

Also remember, if you are buying the VGA cables just to upscale your dvds, you can get the same results if you just hook your laptop up through the VGA. That could save you 40.00 if you think the component picture looks good, and you can have 2 things hooked up at once :whistle2:D

Trakan knows about my vga drama from last night, haha

Are themes and such worth it and does anyone know of somewhere where I can see screen shots of themes?
The Viva Pinata and GoW themes have caught my eye from the images of them that I've seen, but I don't know how they'd look with the blades and all.

the only themes and gamer pics that are worth it are the free ones. You can see screen shot for some of them on xbox.com.

I suggest creating your own backround pic. Just load it up to the 360 via the usb port.

[quote name='DT778']I suggest creating your own backround pic. Just load it up to the 360 via the usb port.[/quote]How would I do that?
Just plug a USB stick into one of the slots and go to memory devices and copy it from there or something?

yeah something like that. sorry I can't give you further instructions, I havent done it in a while but It shouldn't be hard to figure out.

[quote name='Lieutenant Dan']But I assume the picture isn't as good as a DVD that's in true 720p or 1080p, right?[/QUOTE]

yes, of course.

The source (regular standard DVD) itself only contains 480 lines of resolution, but you are adding in meaningless information to "upconvert" it to 1080 lines.

Now, with HD-DVD and Blu Ray..it's a whole different ballgame. The SOURCE material on the disc is in 1080 lines of resolution.

There any clue on how soon the new units will be available in stores? I'm asking for giftcards for Christmas, and if they aren't going to be out for a few months, I'm just going to find the best deal the day after.

new units? like an improved version? I dont think anyone knows until they come out and the modding community takes them apart.

[quote name='DT778']haha fancy connector. that looks like the right one.[/QUOTE]

cool. I just wanted to make sure that there was no adaptor I would need to plug it in the hole. Going to go ahead and place my order.

[quote name='DT778']new units? like an improved version? I dont think anyone knows until they come out and the modding community takes them apart.[/QUOTE]

I meant with the new chipset and (possibly) true digital out.

No one really knows when the upgraded consoles are going to arrive or if there are going to be upgraded units with bigger hard drives and digital out. MS has pretty much denied that they are going to add this functionality, but that does not mean it will not show up in the future.

I think the new chipsets are supposed to make it into the consoles next year though.

Well, if no one knows, I'm not going to worry about it. Hopefully I can sell some of my games and get enough at Christmas to get one and at least a game.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Well, if no one knows, I'm not going to worry about it. Hopefully I can sell some of my games and get enough at Christmas to get one and at least a game.[/QUOTE]

Please keep in mind that when MS does decide to re-work the chipsets, they aren't going to advertise it. They aren't going to announce it. And it will likely be a real pain in the ass to try and figure out which ones are new chipsets. In all honesty, it's possible that new chipsets are already being put in the console.

My guess is you will hear a rumor that MS is using new chipsets and then have to try and buy one with a manufacture date after that time. I don't think you can see that without opening the box so have fun buying systems and returning them until you get one with the right date.

I just don't really understand the logic in waiting and going through that kind of hassle. There is no guarantee even a newer model won't break, and if you buy anything that complicated and expensive without an extended warranty in the first place, well.... you aren't real bright then.

And no, there will be no added features to a newer model, at least not for the next year or so.

[quote name='King']Does anyone know if the pro holiday bundles are all manufactured in 06?[/quote]pro holiday bundles? I assume all 360 on shelves now were manufactured in 06.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back