78 (100%)
http://www.liongames.com/default.cfm
(Homepage)

http://www.liongames.com/default.cfm/page/faq/
(LionGames.com FAQ)

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137095
(Old Thread)

http://www.liongames.com/preorder-august07.cfm
(New August Deals: Ace Combat 6, Guitar Hero 3 Bundle, Guitar Hero 3 Game, Super Mario Galaxy

FAQ

EMAIL EMAIL EMAIL!!!!! If you want to change anything or ask a question PLEASE EMAIL TONY.
[email protected]
[email protected]

0) How fast is the shipping?
He sends out via usps or ups. First class mail-$5. Usually arrives in three days, sometimes more. Priority mail- $6.50. Usually arrives in 2 days, sometimes three. UPS-$8. I honestly dont know how long this one takes
If you buy two games that get shipped together he automatically upgrade to priority.

1) When will games like GTA 4 and Halo 3 ship out?
Both of those games will ship on or one day before street date because they are street dated titles which means I(Tony) should have mine at least one day early. I would pay for priority mail. It is fairly quick. As fast as two day cross country sometimes.

2) When I trade in games to lower the price, will I get the trade in credit as well?
Yes. Not only do you get the trade in credit, you will also get the lower price depending on the number of trades(Limit three per game to lower the price). Games must be worth at least $10 trade in credit. Basically, you get the lowered price and store credit

3) Is this site reputable?
Yes. There have been two threads each reaching 30+ pages and many people have bought used and new games from him. Everyone has been happy with their purchases. If something does go wrong, you can email Tony and he will help you to make your purchase better.

4) How are these considered deals if the shipping is $5
Ok. First there is NO tax. That saves you about $4. Then if you trade in games towards your purchase it will lower the price $5 more(if they are worth $10). Used games are about $20 below EB/GS for newer games. So at $5 saveings per game if you bought 5 games a year thats at least $30 savings

5) Where does Tony ship from?

Lion Games
120 Willow Street
Winsted, CT 06098

Phone: 860-738-4336

Email: [email protected]

6) How can liongames.com make money with such low prices?
Instead of advertising, Tony is offering lowered prices and excellent customer service in hopes that you will come back and tell others via forum or word of mouth. He mainly makes money on used games and he has an actual store in CT to further bring in money

7) Who are you? I've never heard of LionGames.com

LionGames.com is a subsidiary of Age of Video II located in Torrington and Winsted Conn. The addresses are as follows:

Age of Video II
1151 Main Street
Torrington, CT 06790
860-496-1798

Age of Video II
120 Willow Street
Winsted, CT 06098
860-738-4336

We have been running Age of Video II in Torrington from 1987-present and our Winsted store 1991-present. As you can see we are no strangers to the retail environment.

8) I have purchased game(s) and sold game(s) on the same invoice. What happens now?
Since the game(s) you sold us reduced the total of your invoice, we cannot send you your game(s) until we received the game(s) you sold to us. Mail your games as quickly as possible to.

Lion Games
120 Willow street
Winsted CT

9) I want to buy a game(s) and sell you a game(s) and I want the game(s) I buy right away.
In this case do 2 separate invoices. One for the purchases and one for the game(s) you are selling us. This way we don’t have to wait for your games to get to us before we send you the one you purchased.

10) Am I allowed to trade in so many games that Lion Games will owe me money?
Sure!!! You can even just sell us games without buying one yourself. If you want to sell us more then 10 games, shoot us an email first.

11) Will I be guaranteed the price Lion Games quoted me for my game?
As long as you represent the game condition that you are selling us accurately, we guarantee the price we quoted you on our website. Lion Games noticed some of our competitors have reserved their right to reduce the game(s) after they’ve received the game(s), if they feel the market has changed. We don’t do that. We also don’t put bogus prices on our website. We take a straight forward no nonsense approach to doing business. The only other thing we ask is for you to mail your game(s) to us within 5 business days.

12) An example of a trade-in scenario:

Metroid Prime is $34.99 with 2 trade-ins

Trade in Shadowrun for $25 and Fantastic 4 for $15 would give you $40 credit.

MP is $34.99 (with 2 trades) + $6.50 USPS priority - $40 credit would leave you with a balance due of $1.49.

13)When do I pay off my balance?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it is about one month from the release date. Tony will send out an email stating when certain deals are ending and when your balance will need to be payed off

14) How do I upgrade my shipping?

If anyone wants to upgrade their shipping from first class to priority then you can just paypal me $1.50 to [email protected] Please include your invoice number in the comment section. It is $1.50 per game. Also after i make the change your invoice will still read first class but the amount that you actaully paid will be different and the amount paid for shipping is what i look at when i determine first class or priority.

Tony I hope you dont mind that I took some answers and question from your site

The $5 shipping always kills the deals for me :(

$41.99 for Mario Galaxy is pretty decent but for $47 shipped I think I'll just pay the extra $5-8 in store.

Mhm, again, read the OP, thanks though.

I'm assuming the shipping is $8, which takes Guitar Hero to $88, versus $95 after tax in store. I'd rather drop $7 and get it day 1.

And Mario is $47, versus $53 in store. Again, I'll pay for getting it day 1.

Good deals, for people who want to wait... I'd be more tempted to order if shipping was cheaper.

Yeah, the shipping is tough, but I guess can't be helped. It's still a bit cheaper though, and it's not like those first party Nintendo games are going to have many, if any sales any time soon.

One thing I forgot to ask is whether this month's pre-order specials are the same pre-pay action that previous deals required. I don't like that.

No, it's not really the fault of Liongames, but it's enough to make me pass the deal up. These are games I'm really looking forward to, so I'd rather pay for the game in my hands on day 1. It'd be different if shipping were a bit cheaper.

[quote name='Rocko']Mhm, again, read the OP, thanks though.

I'm assuming the shipping is $8, which takes Guitar Hero to $88, versus $95 after tax in store. I'd rather drop $7 and get it day 1.

And Mario is $47, versus $53 in store. Again, I'll pay for getting it day 1.

Good deals, for people who want to wait... I'd be more tempted to order if shipping was cheaper.[/quote]

Guitar bundles are $10 for shipping but i will drop ship and all of them will go ups and you should get them delivered on day 1. All my customers got GH2 on street date. In this case you save 6 dollars and still get the game on day one. Plus no hassles or spent gas money to go to the store.

[quote name='Doomed']LG, any idea how much trade in credit MP3 would be worth when it comes out? I'm getting it, but I'm not sure I'll like it or not.[/quote] Probably like $25.00

[quote name='gunm']From the OP:

4) How fast is the shipping?
He sends out via usps or ups. First class mail-$5. Usually arrives in three days, sometimes more. Priority mail- $6.50. Usually arrives in 2 days, sometimes three. UPS-$8. I honestly dont know how long this one takes

Too bad they don't discount on multiple items. I put two games in mah basket and the shipping doubled. :p

I don't believe they charge tax unless you live in the state they're operating out of.

Unfortunately, shipping really cuts into the deal for me. It's still a little of a savings, though, so I may just go for it still, although I don't like pre-paying.

Edit: Doh, I too lazy to read. :p[/quote]

I am selling these game well below retail and right on my cost. shipping and handling charges cost me right around $5.00 for first class and about $6.70 for priority. I credit some money back to customers who buy more then 2 used games at one time. If you buy two games that get shipped together I automatically upgrade to priority. It is really a bit frustrating that some people dont view these as good deals. here is the thing, Guitar hero cost me $50.53 ,then the envelope is .30 $2.73 for first class shipping and about $1.50 for paypal to process the order. That puts my cost over $55 and I am only charging $54. I still have aboput 30 more emails to answer before i go to bed.
I probably answered 70 emails already today beside the 30 i got left. Bottom line is I am investing a lot of time and money into liongames. I got to wonder if people will support me when i try to make a bit of money considering I am losing money on a lot of deals and some people still dont see the value.

[quote name='liongames']Guitar bundles are $10 for shipping but i will drop ship and all of them will go ups and you should get them delivered on day 1. All my customers got GH2 on street date. In this case you save 6 dollars and still get the game on day one. Plus no hassles or spent gas money to go to the store.[/quote]

I see. So basically, the shipping takes it up to MSRP, and I'm saving tax and time.

Tony, is liongames.com getting the Ace Combat 6 flight stick package? I really wanna order it from you guys instead of gaymestop :(

[quote name='liongames']I got to wonder if people will support me when i try to make a bit of money considering I am losing money on a lot of deals and some people still dont see the value.[/QUOTE]
You picked the wrong community to preach to if you were looking for monatery support. I love CAG and I love my fellow CAGers, but this is a terrible place to try and anchor a business in. We're about deals, and if getting the absolute cheapest prices we can find means killing and cannibalizing a startup business in the process... well, I don't know anyone on this site who would hesitate or flinch. You are one, we are many.

That being said, I wish you luck. I hope your place succeeds.

He's being sarcastic^^^ Some people are complaining about shipping being $5 even though they are saving more money than if they were to buy in store. Plus they save the hassle of going to the store. No tax + no driving = deal. Stop complaining. If you dont want to wait 1-3 days extra to get a game and save money then go to ebgames and get rapped.

[quote name='MORT A POTTY']Tony, is liongames.com getting the Ace Combat 6 flight stick package? I really wanna order it from you guys instead of gaymestop :([/quote]

I am looking into it. I checked today and for some reason my distributor doesnt show the game yet. I should have an answer for you next week.

Tony

[quote name='lord_ebonstone']You picked the wrong community to preach to if you were looking for monatery support. I love CAG and I love my fellow CAGers, but this is a terrible place to try and anchor a business in. We're about deals, and if getting the absolute cheapest prices we can find means killing and cannibalizing a startup business in the process... well, I don't know anyone on this site who would hesitate or flinch. You are one, we are many.

That being said, I wish you luck. I hope your place succeeds.[/quote]

It is always important to look around the corner in life. if you kill all the start ups then all that will be left is the big boys and then you can forget about the deals. I want to build a business where you dont have to look any farther then my website to find great deals. I wont mind selling all my new games at cost if i get some used games support in the mean time. I wasnt preaching. I feel the people around here are good people and hopefully most of them wont kill or cannabalize small businesses.

[quote name='slickkill77']Stop complaining. If you dont want to wait 1-3 days extra to get a game and save money then go to ebgames and get rapped.[/quote]

Uh no, no one is "complaining". We're just stating that shipping costs offset the deals that are being presented. If we have a problem with that, we will go elsewhere.

And EB/GameStop is not the only other place to buy games, we all know that.

[quote name='slickkill77']He's being sarcastic^^^ Some people are complaining about shipping being $5 even though they are saving more money than if they were to buy in store. Plus they save the hassle of going to the store. No tax + no driving = deal. Stop complaining. If you dont want to wait 1-3 days extra to get a game and save money then go to ebgames and get rapped.[/quote]
Complaining? No. I'm discussing the deal at hand. In my opinion, I'd rather pay an extra $5 in tax, and spend some extra time, and go get myself Guitar Hero III at a B&M store than wait for it to arrive via mail while saving the tax money. Am I complaining about Liongames? No, not in the least, but I don't think I am required to love every deal that comes through this website. I'm going to assume that "rapped" is a misspelling of "raped", and I'd love to know how paying $5 extra in tax is considered "getting raped."

[quote name='slickkill77']He's being sarcastic^^^ Some people are complaining about shipping being $5 even though they are saving more money than if they were to buy in store. Plus they save the hassle of going to the store. No tax + no driving = deal. Stop complaining. If you dont want to wait 1-3 days extra to get a game and save money then go to ebgames and get rapped.[/quote]

People are not complaining; they are just looking to get a better deal (I know I am...) I would love to support Liongames; with that said, I still compare every deal and if I find a cheaper deal elsewhere, well, unfortunately, that said business will get my money (for example, I was interested in Mario Galaxy and GH3 but found both cheaper--even before AND after s&h--elsewhere). While I don't doubt liongames' customer service is superb--at the end of the day, I'm a CAG.

[quote name='tinyandi']While I don't doubt liongames' customer service is superb--at the end of the day, I'm a CAG.[/quote]
I'm a CAG as well, but I'm more than willing to pay a dollar or two more to reward good customer service. Do you really want Amazon, CC, and Gamestop to be the last game-retailers standing?

The last two times I pre-ordered a game from Amazon (well in advance) they delayed shipment until the week after release. CC has pi**ed me off so many times I can't count, and Gamestop/EB gives you so little trade-in value for your games and charges so much for used games that they should be buying you dinner before the transactions.

I'm thrilled to see someone in the game business who seems like they actually give a damn about their customers. I haven't yet bought anything from Liongames, but if Tony's participation in this forum is any indication of his customer service, then if it comes down to them versus any of the aforementioned retailers, I'll definitely choose him, even if it means an extra dollar or two.

[quote name='liongames']Guitar bundles are $10 for shipping but i will drop ship and all of them will go ups and you should get them delivered on day 1. All my customers got GH2 on street date. In this case you save 6 dollars and still get the game on day one. Plus no hassles or spent gas money to go to the store.[/quote]

you said you would drop ship. when is that reflected when checking out?

[quote name='RedZeppelin']I'm a CAG as well, but I'm more than willing to pay a dollar or two more to reward good customer service.[/quote]

While I don't disagree with you...its not JUST a dollar or two. If it was a matter of a dollar...I'd probably jump the bandwagon.

Examples:

1) Mario Galaxy, being offered by LG for $41.99 PLUS s/h (anywhere around $5?), comes to approximately $46.99 versus at Family Video (after the $5 off coupon) at $40.98 (which includes shipping and handling). That's a $5 difference.

2) Guitar Hero III, being offered by LG for $89.99 PLUS s/h (around $10?), comes to approximately $99.99 versus DeepDiscount at $83.95 (includes s/h) or Family Video $84 or $85 (after coupon, including s/h). That's almost a $15 difference.

I will credit the fact that these companies are NOT likely to dropship the day the game comes out...but that just comes down to whether you are a person that needs the game on day 1. If you are...then Liongames is likely the better deal for you.

In any event, I applaud Liongames for their attentiveness and specials and hope in the future I'll be able to give them my business.

[quote name='liongames']I am selling these game well below retail and right on my cost. shipping and handling charges cost me right around $5.00 for first class and about $6.70 for priority. I credit some money back to customers who buy more then 2 used games at one time. If you buy two games that get shipped together I automatically upgrade to priority. It is really a bit frustrating that some people dont view these as good deals. here is the thing, Guitar hero cost me $50.53 ,then the envelope is .30 $2.73 for first class shipping and about $1.50 for paypal to process the order. That puts my cost over $55 and I am only charging $54. I still have aboput 30 more emails to answer before i go to bed.
I probably answered 70 emails already today beside the 30 i got left. Bottom line is I am investing a lot of time and money into liongames. I got to wonder if people will support me when i try to make a bit of money considering I am losing money on a lot of deals and some people still dont see the value.[/QUOTE]

You state throughout this thread that you are selling some releases at or below cost to drive business to your website but than you complain you are losing money. You are using your loss leaders as advertising.

So if you want to lower your losses you ought to cut your costs than. Why are you paying $.30 for envelopes. Bought in bulk you can find #2 bubble mailers for $.17-$.23 at any given time. First class mail with DC should be $2.32 for 7 ounces (most single disc games are 7 oz or less)so I am guessing you are paying to much for delivery confirmation. And paypal fees..well that you can't change but I would think you could set up a direct cc account to process orders for people that use credit cards for a minimal montly fee. I am suprised you don't have a system in place for your video stores.

Mailers at $.20 x 1000 equals $100, First class mail with DC @ $.42 less saves you $420. (dc is even free for priority). Saving from not taking paypal for cc payments would depend on Merchant transaction fees and montly fees across all sales. But take away the flat $.30 fee pp charges and assume 2% processing fee than you might save $400-$500 per 1000 transactions. So you could at least shave $1 in costs off without any additional work load. (thus puts you around even and you haven't even considered the costs saved by not advertising to get those same sales)

I think people are mostly commenting on the regular new release prices. You are dealing with a commodity that depreciates quickly, is used for entertainment, is exactly the same from merchant to merchant and is not a staple needed to survive. (well for most people :) ) So why would people not want to save money to stretch those funds out. Their gaming experience won't be affected if they paid $10 more or less.

On used games you are making more than ample profit based on what you pay versus what you sell the games for. (I have to laugh when I see you selling a new game for the same or less than the same game used)

I am sure people appreciate you "upgrading" 2 games to priority but I don't think you have much choice in most cases since two games would be too heavy for 1st class mailing.

Anyway the one thing that does appear constant is the customer service you provide and I hope you can make a run of it.

Any chance that you can start to get PC games in for deals?

And you said you would drop shipping for GHIII? Where would that happen.

I was talking about the used games at eb and their non deals. You guys say you want ot save money and you are. IF you want to pay retail for your game thats fine but your not being a true "cag" then. It might only be $5 right now but if you get 6 games a year then you end up saving $30. Plus if you trade in games the costs is even lower. If you dont want to shop here then dont. But stop coming to the thread and complaining about the shipping.

I've been extremely happy with the deals Tony has offered and i plan to buy quite a few used games in the next few weeks after i get paid to help him out.

You guys are obviously late to the party. You must have missed the 39.99 and 79.99 for Halo 3 regular and Legendary Edition. The 42.99 GTA 4. The 39.99 Bioshock. 42.99 Too Human. Not every deal will be like that but we did have those deals avaliable to us

[quote name='slickkill77']You guys are obviously late to the party. You must have missed the 39.99 and 79.99 for Halo 3 regular and Legendary Edition. The 42.99 GTA 4. The 39.99 Bioshock. 42.99 Too Human. Not every deal will be like that but we did have those deals avaliable to us[/quote]

I didn't mean to start a fight and let me just say that I look forward to more of these type of deals in the future! :D

I think the issue is that the previous deals were almost too good and the new deals pale in comparison. I mean getting Bioshock or Halo 3 for 39.99 is way different than Mario Galaxy for 41.99. A $20 discount should not be argued even when shipping is $6.50, but an $8 discount with $6.50 shipping does make the deal seem dull. I am not complaining though because I will still opt to save a couple dollars. I just wanted to elaborate on what I see as the issue with the new deals.

[quote name='slickkill77']I was talking about the used games at eb and their non deals. You guys say you want ot save money and you are. IF you want to pay retail for your game thats fine but your not being a true "cag" then. It might only be $5 right now but if you get 6 games a year then you end up saving $30. Plus if you trade in games the costs is even lower. If you dont want to shop here then dont. But stop coming to the thread and complaining about the shipping.[/quote]

Damn dude, what don't you understand about people not complaining? If I came in here and threadcrapped every day saying "DO NOT BUY, SHITTY SHIPPING!" then I'd be complaining (and an ass). I came here to look up new deals and noted that the shipping sort of kills it for me. I don't see why you think this thread should be nothing but 100% positive opinions about Liongames.

Even if you're only saving a net of $5 on some of the deals, if you're looking to pick up a few games might as well order them all from tony. You're allover savings will naturaly be higher. Thats the appeal to me, I bought three games and the total came to $140, not bad for three $60 at retail games.

[quote name='slickkill77']I was talking about the used games at eb and their non deals. You guys say you want ot save money and you are. IF you want to pay retail for your game thats fine but your not being a true "cag" then. It might only be $5 right now but if you get 6 games a year then you end up saving $30. Plus if you trade in games the costs is even lower. If you dont want to shop here then dont. But stop coming to the thread and complaining about the shipping.[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone is advocating paying retail....shiver at the thought. There just are plenty of other sources for getting games at a discount. Using a regional deal I can get $10 off any game anytime at Worst Buy. There are also places that offer the game release week at a discount and depending on the situation offer oppurtunity to PM, add coupons etc. ie CC (for those that still shop there) giving $10 off retail on new release games for some releases (PM at BB for another $1) and gain reward points. Plus at BB right now 2 games qualify for an extra $10 off ($10 rwz gc per $100 spent on entertainment) via reward zone.

I would think that Tony would want some feedback about why people do or don't buy from his site. While he seems to hold steady in his pricing structure he is listening as judged by his posts.

[quote name='Identity Fraud']Even if you're only saving a net of $5 on some of the deals, if you're looking to pick up a few games might as well order them all from tony. You're allover savings will naturaly be higher. Thats the appeal to me, I bought three games and the total came to $140, not bad for three $60 at retail games.[/quote]

I somewhat agree. I paid $149 w/shipping for Halo 3 SE, Bioshock and Mass Effect. I would have spent $205 w/tax. Thats an awesome deal. But those deals were to pull in new customers. Now that we are aware of Liongames it seems that those kind of deals are no longer fiscally responsable. I just dont see that saving $2-$3 is a huge draw to the website when there are other ways to get discounts from a multitude of retailers.

I do however want to support Liongames because I respect the level of CS that is being provided. As long as I can get a comparible deal from Liongames I will shop there. I will however add that I have purchased 6 more games from FamilyVid due to some better deals at there website, but with longer shipping.

To be completely honest I think we should just respect the fact the Tony is running a business and needs to make a profit. The previous deals were great and everyone who got in should feel lucky. I have always shopped around and will continue to do so. If Liongames has a good deal I will buy there. If not I will buy somewhere else, but I will not tell Tony that his deals are worthless. I will simply bring my business elsewhere as I have done many times since my Liongames purchase.

[quote name='gunm']Uh no, no one is "complaining". We're just stating that shipping costs offset the deals that are being presented. If we have a problem with that, we will go elsewhere.

And EB/GameStop is not the only other place to buy games, we all know that.[/quote]

I know your not complaining i was just stating just the fact that you might go elsewhere when the deals are right at my breakeven point or even a little loss was the frustrating part. I am not pointing fingers and this isnt your fault or anyone elses fault. It is the nature of the beast i guess.

Tony

[quote name='Rocko']Complaining? No. I'm discussing the deal at hand. In my opinion, I'd rather pay an extra $5 in tax, and spend some extra time, and go get myself Guitar Hero III at a B&M store than wait for it to arrive via mail while saving the tax money. Am I complaining about Liongames? No, not in the least, but I don't think I am required to love every deal that comes through this website. I'm going to assume that "rapped" is a misspelling of "raped", and I'd love to know how paying $5 extra in tax is considered "getting raped."[/quote]

I realised this and once again i wasnt pointing any fingers at you or anyone else. I have to much respect for my customers to do that. I would think you would also see how i feel that you rather spend 5 dollars more at a brick and mortar then do the business with me and you would get the game the same day. I would rather have you feel that if it was a few bucks more and even if i had to wait an extra day or two I rather do business with the little guy because he cares about the customers more then the brick and mortar.:)

[quote name='HebiyO']you said you would drop ship. when is that reflected when checking out?[/quote]

That isnt reflected at checkout. The guitar bundles are bigger so I dont want to handle them so i just drop ship them and the bouns for the customer it is ups and also a good chance for street date arrival.

[quote name='liongames']I know your not complaining i was just stating just the fact that you might go elsewhere when the deals are right at my breakeven point or even a little loss was the frustrating part. I am not pointing fingers and this isnt your fault or anyone elses fault. It is the nature of the beast i guess.

Tony[/quote]

Do what you need to do Tony to make sure your business makes it. Dont worry about meeting everyones requests you will just drive yourself insane.

I would like to add that I would love to see some 39.99 Uncharted or Ratchet & Clank, but I understand that those deals are not always feasible.

[quote name='tinyandi']While I don't disagree with you...its not JUST a dollar or two. If it was a matter of a dollar...I'd probably jump the bandwagon.

Examples:

1) Mario Galaxy, being offered by LG for $41.99 PLUS s/h (anywhere around $5?), comes to approximately $46.99 versus at Family Video (after the $5 off coupon) at $40.98 (which includes shipping and handling). That's a $5 difference.

2) Guitar Hero III, being offered by LG for $89.99 PLUS s/h (around $10?), comes to approximately $99.99 versus DeepDiscount at $83.95 (includes s/h) or Family Video $84 or $85 (after coupon, including s/h). That's almost a $15 difference.

I will credit the fact that these companies are NOT likely to dropship the day the game comes out...but that just comes down to whether you are a person that needs the game on day 1. If you are...then Liongames is likely the better deal for you.

In any event, I applaud Liongames for their attentiveness and specials and hope in the future I'll be able to give them my business.[/quote]

What did you pay for super mario before and after shipping. $41.99 is a pretty aggressive price? it is below cost.

[quote name='liongames']I would think you would also see how i feel that you rather spend 5 dollars more at a brick and mortar then do the business with me and you would get the game the same day. I would rather have you feel that if it was a few bucks more and even if i had to wait an extra day or two I rather do business with the little guy because he cares about the customers more then the brick and mortar.:)[/quote]

If you could guarantee GHIII arriving at my doorstep on release day, I would consider it. But I don't think that's possible. And unlike some, I don't feel that I'd rather save $5 and deal with the little guy and get my game 2 days later than a B&M store, on this particular title. I understand where you're coming from, but that just isn't my attitude for that game.

[quote name='Rocko']If you could guarantee GHIII arriving at my doorstep on release day, I would consider it. But I don't think that's possible. And unlike some, I don't feel that I'd rather save $5 and deal with the little guy and get my game 2 days later than a B&M store, on this particular title. I understand where you're coming from, but that just isn't my attitude for that game.[/quote]

That is understandable. All my guitar hero 2's that were dropped ship made it to my customers on street date. I still cant guaranteed it because there is too much that could go wrong in between that I have no control over. I also see where you are coming from.

I have bought new and used from Tony at Lion Games and will continue to business with him in the future. He always does the best he can with deals on new releases and it is very difficult to beat the price on his used games compared to EB/Gamestop.

Just as an example...

Forza 2(XBox360)... Lion Games- $39.99 Gamestop instore used- $54.99
Shadowrun (XBox360)... Lion Games $37.99 Gamestop instore- used $54.99

Tony also will not give you the run around like EB/Gamestop. Just take a look at his posts regarding the whole Bioshock early release. He went to the source to find out if the release was changed and he was honest when he stated that his supplier had not received his stock yet.

If consumers continue to buy and sell used games through Lion Games. Tony will be able to provide us with better deals on new releases.
These are just my thoughts but others in this forum have also had great experiences with Tony and Lion Games.

Mike from RI

I'd just like to add to the positive reviews. I placed an order for used "good condition" copies of Gears of War and Crackdown on Tuesday. I received both today, Thursday. Not only that, but both were in simply astonishingly incredible condition! They look as good if not better than new games from other retailers.

Once another great deal that liongames seems to consistently offer comes up i will definetly by with them. Maybe real soon, I sent an email asking about a game trade-in just now, but thats not the point of this topic. So keep up the great work Tony.

I just wanted to make sure people understand I wasn't complaining or preaching or pointing fingers. I have always been upfront with everyone. I want to share some thoughts, and some stats, just so everyone knows where I am coming from and what I am thinking.

The video buisness has been in a big downturn for many years. I happen to be one of the few surviving small retailers still left in the video business. If you read the news about Movie Gallery which Game Crazy is part of, youwill see how tough the video business really is. I always try to look toward the future ,so I decided to look into the video game industry. I knew that Game stop/EBgames has impressed Wall street for quite a while. Blockbuster looks like an ant compared to EB/Gamestop. When I looked at their business model I saw holes, and thought to myself I could offer the customer a lot more, and also make good money for myself. I even looked at Walmart who basically gives a lot of stuff away, yet video games are full retail. In short I knew I could offer a lot more to the gaming community. I opened the website.

My thinking is I would invest a lot of time and money into building a customer base. I have done that for 7 months and will continue to do so. The key for me is what happens once I get the customers to the website. My current business model centers around the sale of used games because that is where I make my money. My thinking was I will invest $20 to $30 per customer to get them to try the site out, and have them help spread the word.
The customers did show up for the deals, and I am very happy with my current customer count. The thing I would like to see improvement on is my used games business. Right now 1 out of every 300 customers order a used game per week. I consider this to be a pretty poor number since I truely invested a lot of time and money into each customer. What I am hoping for is to get 3 customers out of every 100 to order a used game per week. What this really translates to is, for every customer who maybe got some great deals, to order 2 used games a year. I really dont see that as being that hard to accomplish. The key is I am really willing to give back to the customers in the form on new game deals if in return if I build a really good used game business. If I every got that number to 6 out 100 people to buy a used game per week, I could probably offer more and more new games at really great prices. I wouldnt even mind losing money on new games as long as those customers benefitting from those games turn around and really support the used game business. I also feel it is my job to make the customers understand where I am coming from. I tried to do that last night, and it was seen as preaching and complaining and that wasnt at all my intention. Deep down inside I just feel the more customers support me ,the more in return I can give back to them and still do well myself. That is what I meant last night that sometimes we need to look at the bigger picture. I am sure there is going to be a percentage of people who will only use me for my best deals and nothing else. That is also very much okay. It will not be a good thing though if a large portion of my customer base thinks that way. In short the more I get supported in the used game department, the more I am going to offer in the way of great deals to keep attracting new customers to the website. I feel if everyone gets this message out ,there wont be a need to scour the earth looking for great deals. All they will have to look at is Liongames. I really dont know how it will shake out in the end, all i know is that i will work very hard, and invest money and a lot of time to give it a shot. If I am wrong in the end I will still only have great respect for the people who gave it a shot with me. I am also very patient and this doesn't have to happen overnight. I hopes this explains where I was coming from last night!

Sincerely, Tony

Thank you very much Tony for posting your response up. Its clear that you really are dedicated to having a great site and pleasing customers. It's because of this i feel compelled to explain atleast why i am not buying any used games from your site. I also want to discuss your preorder specials and why i have yet to jump on any more.
The main reason that i have yet to order anything else is the shipping rates that you charge. It is as simple as that. I like many gamers will usually buy 2-3 used games at a time as opposed to just buying 1 full priced game. But when all the games are added and checkout time comes the 15 dollar shipping charge does not look attractive by any stretch of the imagination. For one I live in CT too, so I know it is not costing 15 dollars to ship 3 dvd cases at the same time.
Like many other lucky gamers on this site I jumped on your only preorder specials of mass effect, gta 4, bioshock, and Halo 3 limited edition. I am a person who will rarely preorder. This is because if i care enough to preorder i want to play the game on release so I always do it at a b&m store. I made an exception to this to jump on the preorders that you offered because they were spectacular deals and I knew that it was near impossible for a better deal to come along. Herein lies the problem. All of the preorder deals that you offer are all good and competetive (high shipping factors into this) but none of them stand out as being untoppable. Deals like the Madden-Toys r US 50% off deal are the reasons why i will hold off on preordering games so far from their release date.
I guess what I am saying is keep up the great customer service and I will be constantly keeping an eye on your site for deals and i wish you best of luck. I an appreciate the great deals that you gave me on bioshock, mass effect, halo 3 and gta 4.

[quote name='liongames']I am looking into it. I checked today and for some reason my distributor doesnt show the game yet. I should have an answer for you next week.

Tony[/QUOTE]

Another vote for the flightstick bundle. I would buy that in a heartbeat and would rather give you my money than EB/Gamestop. I await the good news.

[quote name='spidey']Another vote for the flightstick bundle. I would buy that in a heartbeat and would rather give you my money than EB/Gamestop. I await the good news.[/quote]

I will ask again tommorow!

I got 2 used games from Tony and they were both in excellent condition.

I generally don't buy used games since you run the risk of not getting the case and/or the manual. however, Tony specifies which games are without so you know what you're getting before you pay.

Finally, the used game price is usually cheaper on liongames.com than eb/gamestop.

I agree his new game deals aren't as appealing as they apparently have been. However, I think as a middleman in used games, he is lot more fair than other stores and he is upfront about condition. Some sites just say "manual/case may or may not be included, buy at your own risk" (paraphrasing).

Tony,

Would you be able to keep track of who buys used games and offer those specfic people better deals? For example. when someone buys 4-5 used games, then they get an extra $10-20 discount on their next new game. The extra incentive to buy used games could jump your used games sales per week number.

Tony:

I really liked how the Bioshock pre-order was handled with the $10 down, and then a subsequent payoff payment.

Is there any way we can see this model more often? If there were incremental pre-order prices up, I'd pre-order most of this Holiday's games.

[quote name='dondondondondondon']Thank you very much Tony for posting your response up. Its clear that you really are dedicated to having a great site and pleasing customers. It's because of this i feel compelled to explain atleast why i am not buying any used games from your site. I also want to discuss your preorder specials and why i have yet to jump on any more.
The main reason that i have yet to order anything else is the shipping rates that you charge. It is as simple as that. I like many gamers will usually buy 2-3 used games at a time as opposed to just buying 1 full priced game. But when all the games are added and checkout time comes the 15 dollar shipping charge does not look attractive by any stretch of the imagination. For one I live in CT too, so I know it is not costing 15 dollars to ship 3 dvd cases at the same time.
Like many other lucky gamers on this site I jumped on your only preorder specials of mass effect, gta 4, bioshock, and Halo 3 limited edition. I am a person who will rarely preorder. This is because if i care enough to preorder i want to play the game on release so I always do it at a b&m store. I made an exception to this to jump on the preorders that you offered because they were spectacular deals and I knew that it was near impossible for a better deal to come along. Herein lies the problem. All of the preorder deals that you offer are all good and competetive (high shipping factors into this) but none of them stand out as being untoppable. Deals like the Madden-Toys r US 50% off deal are the reasons why i will hold off on preordering games so far from their release date.
I guess what I am saying is keep up the great customer service and I will be constantly keeping an eye on your site for deals and i wish you best of luck. I an appreciate the great deals that you gave me on bioshock, mass effect, halo 3 and gta 4.[/quote]

Thank you for taking the time to explain your position. What do you normally pay for shipping and handling chages for used games when you get them online? The problem lies within my shopping cart. I had a chocie of charging per game or per invoice and the amount of games. I did this at first but i got nailed on shipping chages because everyone got a discount even though most orders shipped different days. That is why i went with a per game system on the shipping and handling charge. what i am now doing for orders of two games is upgrading to priority. After 2 games i am refunding half of the shipping charge which is really the shipping charge and I am keeping the handling charge. my numbers work like this. 2 games going to cost me $5.25 the rest is the hadling. 3 games customer pays 12.50 after refund which is like 6 for shipping and 6 for handling. 4 games will be $15 after refund which is like 7 for shipping and 8 for handling. are those prices really out of whack for shipping and handling combined for priority with deleivery confirmation?

[quote name='Swingman']I got 2 used games from Tony and they were both in excellent condition.

I generally don't buy used games since you run the risk of not getting the case and/or the manual. however, Tony specifies which games are without so you know what you're getting before you pay.

Finally, the used game price is usually cheaper on liongames.com than eb/gamestop.

I agree his new game deals aren't as appealing as they apparently have been. However, I think as a middleman in used games, he is lot more fair than other stores and he is upfront about condition. Some sites just say "manual/case may or may not be included, buy at your own risk" (paraphrasing).

Tony,

Would you be able to keep track of who buys used games and offer those specfic people better deals? For example. when someone buys 4-5 used games, then they get an extra $10-20 discount on their next new game. The extra incentive to buy used games could jump your used games sales per week number.[/quote]

I actually thought about that while i was driving to the golf course a few weekends ago.{35 minute drive lots of time to think} The problem for now was i dscounted the new game below my cost to get some trade ins into inventory and now if i discount more new games for used game purchases on the way out the door I just gave up everything. But I am thinking about rewarding the used games purchasers in the future somehow. We are on the same track there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back