Pokemon 3DS XLs announced for North America

realbigexplosion

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
Didn't see this posted, so here goes.

Two Pokemon 3DS XLs announced for North America.  They come out September 27.  There's a red and a blue one (though they both have the same design).  Retails for $199.99.

Looks like the game isn't bundled with the systems.  Not sure how limited these will be, but the Pikachu XLs sold out pretty fast.

Preorder at Gamestop - Red

Preorder at Gamestop - Blue

Preorder at Best Buy - Red

Preorder at Best Buy - Blue

Newegg and Target have pages up, but it doesn't look like they're taking preorders right now.  Newegg, at least, was taking preorders at one point.

Newegg - Red

Newegg - Blue

Target - Red

Target - Blue

Source: Kotaku

Last edited by a moderator:
I pre ordered one from best buy just in case someone does some crazy sale on these for the pricematch opportunity. Yes they have charged IMMEDIATELY. My funds for the charge can't be used at all.
Thanks, maybe I'll just preorder in store, has anyone reported that being possible yet? $25 isn't too bad at all to put down.

I've done it plenty of times and have not been banned at all. They say they can't price match it since I already brought it. They suggest return and rebuy with no problem.

Maybe other's locals stores are more strict on that though.
It's not a local store policy. It's a CHAIN policy. Why do you think they require your DL to process a return? All that information gets stored in a database. When you hit the magic ration or purchases to returns you will lose your ability to return items.

It's not a local store policy. It's a CHAIN policy. Why do you think they require your DL to process a return? All that information gets stored in a database. When you hit the magic ration or purchases to returns you will lose your ability to return items.
Been doing it randomly (only about 4 or so times starting from 2+ years ago) and not once have I been banned.

Maybe b/c I return that second, come back within the week (before the price goes back) and than rebuy. I'm sure people have been banned. I don't do it frequently enough to raise any alerts.

But yeah, take your own risk.

Hmm, I don't even know how many returns I've done in the last three months.  Granted my purchases are so much higher that if it's a percentage based thing I'm probably alright.

yeah, even exchanges count as returns

I think he just mean that it's plural, more than 1 XL being released at the same time.
Well others earlier in the thread ragged on it for being yet another unneeded model type, so that had me wondering (and I didn't question it since there are other models coming out, and this is Nintendo). Thanks for clearing it up.

bestbuy.com is taking pre-orders again for store pickup. just pre-ordered both red and blue and will probably cancel the ones for gamestop the day before it released (sept. 26th) just to make sure that bestbuy doesn't screw it up or anything.

Is there any way to pre order this off of the best buy web site but only put down $50 or do they always make you pay full price right away?  Will they let you put down less if you pre order at a physical store?

Is there any way to pre order this off of the best buy web site but only put down $50 or do they always make you pay full price right away? Will they let you put down less if you pre order at a physical store?
Web site is always full price with BBY, not sure if any stores are doing it you would probably have to go in and check the gaming screen thing.

I noticed that Target has these on their website (just not available for pre order right now) and if possible, I'd rather pre order from them since I have their red card.  Does Target usually allow for pre orders on items like this? 

I noticed that Target has these on their website (just not available for pre order right now) and if possible, I'd rather pre order from them since I have their red card. Does Target usually allow for pre orders on items like this?
I pre-ordered the Pikachu version from Target.com. Never got the system. Was told that all inventory went to the stores. (So why bother listing it online...!!!???)

Cancel my 2 Gamestop pre-orders. These just aren't that great. I'm sure I can find these later on (though it might be $20+ more or so) if I really want it.

Cancel my 2 Gamestop pre-orders. These just aren't that great. I'm sure I can find these later on (though it might be $20+ more or so) if I really want it.
Is what many folks said about the pikachu XL.....

Edit: Thumbs up for that avatar man.

OP updated.

Did anybody actually see Target taking preorders?  Or have they just had the pages up without allowing preorders?
you might as well order from me , if you are planning to order from target. they rarely fulfill their preorders on limited editions

I don't think any CAG got it. The most I can remember is it disappeared from the cart at checkout.

The Pikachu one was a unique situation. Way too many factors in that one.
almost no one got their pikachu edition 3ds xl, when they ordered it from target. it took some cag calling cs, to find out target cannot fulfill their orders, because target never cancel their orders, even though they do not have any.

bestbuy/gamestop are the only legit retailers, neweggs/ target are not reliable. they will not tell until the last minute. they do not have stock, but at the same time charge your card.

bestbuy/gamestop are the only legit retailers, neweggs/ target are not reliable. they will not tell until the last minute. they do not have stock, but at the same time charge your card.
This^

I wonder if toy r us will get a few in stock like the pikachu one.

This^
I wonder if toy r us will get a few in stock like the pikachu one.
toys'r us could be another potential retailer, unfortunately, they are almost always the last one to post it on their sites. Their website is not reliable as well, only their b&m stores were able to fulfill the pikachu edition 3ds xl.

I have the Pikachu 3DS xl, should I sell it on ebay and get this? Just asking for opinions

If you like this one better then yeah, why not. youre bound to get enough money to pay for this new 3ds - But I doubt this pokemon x and y 3ds will become as valuable as the pikachu 3ds XL.

The pikachu appeals to a broader audience (the original gen I players + , and one cannot deny the cuteness of pikachu - that being said it also appeals to females )

I have the Pikachu 3DS xl, should I sell it on ebay and get this? Just asking for opinions
Do you like this version better than that 3DS XL? I personally think the Pikachu 3DS XL is more unique and I'd probably hold onto that. But it's really your opinion that's important here.

The Pikachu version will be a lot more rare and valuable. It was truly limited IMO. Besides, the whole world knows what a Pikachu is. I can't say the same for the 2 Pokémon on the front of these 3DS's.

I would of preferred the Pikachu 3DS XL over these (unfortunately i passed), they don't look bad like would be nice if they each had different designs and included the games pre-loaded (since we know they wouldn't be physical copies). The CAG in me wants to wait for a possible black friday sale on a normal blue 3ds xl and just buy a mew decal to put on it and call it a day.

I'm considering selling my Pikachu version because I got it at Target for $170 and would make enough on ebay for the new 3DS and one of the new Pokemon games, plus some extra spending money.

But my problem with this new system is that it probably won't be nearly as rare. Guess we'll find out when it comes out.

I'm considering selling my Pikachu version because I got it at Target for $170 and would make enough on ebay for the new 3DS and one of the new Pokemon games, plus some extra spending money.

But my problem with this new system is that it probably won't be nearly as rare. Guess we'll find out when it comes out.
Your problem is that you're planning to sell it for at least $100 less than even used ones in good condition are going for right now.

Edit- Never mind, I shouldn't CAG when I'm about to sleep. I misread that as you were selling it for $170 not that you paid $170 for it. Carry on.

I'd love to buy yours but I'm sure it's more than I'd be willing to pay.

I'm contemplating getting the blue system... I wonder what the chances are of Gamestop doing a decent trade in promo for the 3DS when this comes out... though I'd probably be way better off not doing that... in fact, I know I'd be better off not doing that.

I still get the feeling this thing might end up being rare, I still remember the same things being said about the poptart (AKA Animal Crossing's XL).

Either way I think it looks cool

I still get the feeling this thing might end up being rare, I still remember the same things being said about the poptart (AKA Animal Crossing's XL).

Either way I think it looks cool
it well, because gamestop/bestbuy are the only two retailer that are a sure thing.

The Animal Crossing and Pikachu 3DS XL are both going for over $300 on eBay, but I think those were more unique. These just look like standard color 3DS XL with a plain black decal on it. I regret not buying the Pikachu version and hope they come out with more limited edition systems here in the US so I can buy one that I'm actually interested in. These new Pokemon just don't interest me.

The Animal Crossing and Pikachu 3DS XL are both going for over $300 on eBay, but I think those were more unique. These just look like standard color 3DS XL with a plain black decal on it. I regret not buying the Pikachu version and hope they come out with more limited edition systems here in the US so I can buy one that I'm actually interested in. These new Pokemon just don't interest me.
That's the one thing I really don't like about these, wish they would have inverted the white/black on the different colors. The games are clearly red/blue themed so why not flip it and make the Y Pokemon white and the X Pokemon black on the red system? I still like it and getting the red one but think that would have looked a little better and made the systems feel more distinct beyond color.

I just hope they still have the silhouettes of the starting Pokemon on the back since I don't think I've seen a picture of the back of the non-Japanese one.

so you want the dark/flying pokemon outlined in white but the fairy pokemon outline in black for one of the design so the 2 XL can be more distinguishable beyond blue/red base color? ya...

so you want the dark/flying pokemon outlined in white but the fairy pokemon outline in black so we can we can distinguish the 2 XL beyond blue/red base color? ya...
Well I want the color associated Pokemon to be the more immediately eye catching on that colored system. I will give the Nintendo designers their due though because inverting the colors in Photoshop actually doesn't look nearly as good as I expected. Still, I would have liked to have seen them do something a little more unique.

Is what many folks said about the pikachu XL.....

Edit: Thumbs up for that avatar man.
The Pikachu one was much more limited than this. I could barely find the Pikachu one on release' though I brought some for the collection. This will most likely sell out too but within a week or so and than we'll never hear anything good about it. Its still rare but not worth my money since I already have an XL and other limited editions.

And thanks, who doesn't love our favorite Aardvark :)

It this has been the gold pokemon edition, I would be all over it.  the blue/red base colors are just too generic for me to add it to my collection.

bread's done
Back