Pokemon Black and White: General Discussion and Info: For Real This Time

Is there a reason so many people seem to be ordering white instead of black? I'm holding off for the inevitable grey version but if I had to pick one now I'd go with Black because of the city environment.

[quote name='genfuyung']Is there a reason so many people seem to be ordering white instead of black? I'm holding off for the inevitable grey version but if I had to pick one now I'd go with Black because of the city environment.[/QUOTE]

i got black.. trying to keep myself from buying WHITE ... very little differences (same story nothing changes story wise i do not belive)

that 25 bucks could go towards another game...

cousin got their off best buy for 15 each

35.00 each
10 buck reward points
5 bucks gift card when they picked them up
5 bucks best buy sent in another email

if i knew i could got them that cheap would picked up both :(

could still get it off amazon for 35 +10 credit (25 total) would be like paying 9 bucks more then the best buy deal since tax took it to 16.04 each

Plus i have phatom brave for the PSP coming tomorrow with overnight shipping that will tie up my time (not to mention i have Dragon quest 6 and kindom hearts recoded still SEALED and rad. history still to play (8 hours into that game)

Aside from the version exclusive Pokemon, White has White Forest which unlocks even more Pokemon, both new and old.

Black has more trainers and items available.

[quote name='Crono139']Aside from the version exclusive Pokemon, White has White Forest which unlocks even more Pokemon, both new and old.

Black has more trainers and items available.[/QUOTE]
Oh, I didn't know white had more pokemon. Thats a pretty good reason.

[quote name='genfuyung']Is there a reason so many people seem to be ordering white instead of black? I'm holding off for the inevitable grey version but if I had to pick one now I'd go with Black because of the city environment.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't wait on picking up the 3rd on this one, seeing as the Crystal version never came out for HG/SS. But it's still possible. Pokemon Platinum was announced in Japan one month after the release of Pearl and Diamond in the States -- and released just three months afterwards. But at this point, I'd prefer if they pulled a Sega and announced it for the 3DS.

Speaking of the inevitable Grey version, Black City and White Forest are located in the same exact location of the map in the two games. ^^; I kinda think of it as them both having the forest, but it was torn down and made into a city in the Black version. Seems unlikely that there will be a game with both.

I wouldn't pick up Black and White, since they are basically the same thing though. But if anybody wants to, yeah, hold out for a month or two to see if there are any announcements.

[quote name='RabbitSuit']I wouldn't wait on picking up the 3rd on this one, seeing as the Crystal version never came out for HG/SS. But it's still possible. Pokemon Platinum was announced in Japan one month after the release of Pearl and Diamond in the States -- and released just three months afterwards. But at this point, I'd prefer if they pulled a Sega and announced it for the 3DS.
I wouldn't pick up Black and White, since they are basically the same thing though. But if anybody wants to, yeah, hold out for a month or two to see if there are any announcements.[/QUOTE]

Red/Blue (or Green, depending on your Contintent)
- Yellow
Gold/Silver
- Crystal
----------GBA----------
Ruby/Sapphire
- Emerald
Fire Red / Leaf Green
---------DS------------
Diamond / Pearl
- Platinum
Heart Gold / Soul Silver
Black / White

Based on the pattern, when they expand the Pokedex, they make a 3rd version. Re-releases don't seem to get a 3rd version.

While I can certainly see the logic in wanting to wait for a 3rd game...I don't really see the need for it. You can get virtually all the Pokemon by way of global trades, including the starters. (Sidenote: why anyone plays the game with a male starter is lost on me...since I was able to breed enough of the starter to make my way through most of the version exclusives.) The story does not change enough to justify waiting....especially given the number of different sales being run right now. Is it really worth paying $35 for essentially the same game you could get for $20-25 right now?

Gonna start it up tonight, no two DSes though so I can't really transfer back and forth... unless the 3DS is out lol.

Anyways, I might need to bum someone's Entei, etc... in a day or two if anyone doesn't mind. I'll be happy to breed something or trade exclusives then too, like in HG/SS :)

Spring Break, so should be absolutely breezing through it.

[quote name='Crono139']Aside from the version exclusive Pokemon, White has White Forest which unlocks even more Pokemon, both new and old.

Black has more trainers and items available.[/QUOTE]

since there are only about 20 or less that i will ever use i will still pass :)

So, I've gotten to the point where I can trade and such. Is anyone far enough (and nice enough) to give me a Tirtouga egg? T_T
I don't really have anything to trade. If only you could put 2 pokemon in the daycare from the beginning, I could breed Tepigs.

I'm slightly disappointed that the PokeWalker won't work with Black and White. I really enjoyed having it for HG/SS.

Yeah, I don't know why they blocked/didn't make a new pokewalker either. I skipped Heartgold so I really wanted to be able to use one this time! :cry:

Somebody earlier mentioned this game being difficult, I actually find this game to be extremely easy. People just give you free stuff everywhere you go! It's still fun though. I'm about 8 hours in, I wonder if you will ever be able to pick berries yourself, or if people will just give them to you throughout the game. I haven't seen one berry bush. It might be in the manual. I really should finish reading that... :lol:

Oh, I'm also curious as to whether this will turn into a CAG pokemon trading/battling thread. I kinda hope so, I don't have any friends playing the new games.

[quote name='RabbitSuit']I wouldn't wait on picking up the 3rd on this one, seeing as the Crystal version never came out for HG/SS. But it's still possible. [/QUOTE]

No chance of it. Everything unique to Crystal was included in the HG/SS remakes.

As for waiting for a Gray version, I wouldn't count on it because of the 3DS.

So how do you get that special Pokemon for getting the game near release? I just got my game in the mail (Black version) and will be starting it tonight.

[quote name='Blackout']So how do you get that special Pokemon for getting the game near release? I just got my game in the mail (Black version) and will be starting it tonight.[/QUOTE]
There should be a little flyer thing with instructions inside the game case.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']There should be a little flyer thing with instructions inside the game case.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I just saw it. Since I preordered the game on Amazon I thought they were sending out codes or something.

This is actually my first Pokemon game since Gold. I'm pretty pumped.

@Blackout

Do it via wifi

Also, my current team, just got fourth badge:

Servine Lv 28 (This might be the first starter I end up ditching. It doesn't do that much for my team. I want to use Serperior a bit before I make such decisions though)
Stoutland Lv 32 (I don't love the design, but he's a really solid normal type)
Zebstricka Lv 29 (Blitzle was ass, but his evo is paying off really nicely)
Sawk Lv 26 (I laughed at him when I saw him at first, but holy crap when he single handedly ripped apart the second gym)
Tirtouga Lv 25 (I can't wait to get this bad boy up to snuff with the rest of my team. Him and Blitzle are my most anticipated guys this gen)

Potential 6th spots (has to be flying):
Siglyph: he seems solid enough, and he doubles as a needed psychic. However, he doesn't look that cool

The pteradactyl also looks cool. Any thoughts?

[quote name='Filler2001']@Blackout

Do it via wifi

Also, my current team, just got fourth badge:

Servine Lv 28 (This might be the first starter I end up ditching. It doesn't do that much for my team. I want to use Serperior a bit before I make such decisions though)
Stoutland Lv 32 (I don't love the design, but he's a really solid normal type)
Zebstricka Lv 29 (Blitzle was ass, but his evo is paying off really nicely)
Sawk Lv 26 (I laughed at him when I saw him at first, but holy crap when he single handedly ripped apart the second gym)
Tirtouga Lv 25 (I can't wait to get this bad boy up to snuff with the rest of my team. Him and Blitzle are my most anticipated guys this gen)

Potential 6th spots (has to be flying):
Siglyph: he seems solid enough, and he doubles as a needed psychic. However, he doesn't look that cool

The pteradactyl also looks cool. Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Seconded on Zebstrika and his move set is pretty cool so far (I'm only at level 24). I'll be going for Scolipede too, Drapion was my favorite in D/P/Pt and this guy looks like his twin.

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']Seconded on Zebstrika and his move set is pretty cool so far (I'm only at level 24). I'll be going for Scolipede too, Drapion was my favorite in D/P/Pt and this guy looks like his twin.[/QUOTE]

im shocked your that far.. hopefully others are as well meaning people will be tossing them up on goozex soon :)

my little guys are only level 10 around 90 mins in

So far I just beat the 2nd GYM and have a level 20 Pignite and Level 20 Munna. I got the Green Monkey up to level 13 or so, but not sure if I should even bother with him.

[quote name='DarkKenpachi']Hey BLink who gave you the free Lucky Egg? I just passed the 3rd gym after trying forever for a nature Victini I wanted.[/QUOTE]

The Professor after you meet her in a cave after gym 5.

Right now I am using a team of Servine, Pignite, and Oshawott heading into the third gym. The Pig has to be the best starter. It learns a fighting move at level 17 after it evolve, which is very useful against the second gym and all the normal you will be facing early on. the third gym is bug and later on there is a ice gym so it is very useful.

Anyone else having trouble getting the Pass to get Victini? I try to connect to Nintendo's WFC, and I keep getting an error. The error number is .... n/m I tried to get on to get the number, and I connected successfully.

I dont even worry about nature till post game. Much easier passing on nature through breeding. Then you have to worry about IV. those kinds of things only matter in comparative battling.

I find its too much of a hassle to go for natures/IV's

I just play the game to enjoy it, don't have the time to go breed a whole schwack of eggs just to find out that I wasted my time

[quote name='62t']Black and white sold 1.08 million copies on day 1. Breaks the previous record of 700k from D/P[/QUOTE]

Nice.

[quote name='BLink']The Professor after you meet her in a cave after gym 5.[/QUOTE]

Thanks man. Now I can just go back and get the pokemon I missed and continue with my journey.

BTW does the combo of Lucky Egg and Exp Share work for the second Pokemon as well? Meaning does the second pokemon also receive the benefit of the 50% increase in experience?

[quote name='DarkKenpachi']Thanks man. Now I can just go back and get the pokemon I missed and continue with my journey.

BTW does the combo of Lucky Egg and Exp Share work for the second Pokemon as well? Meaning does the second pokemon also receive the benefit of the 50% increase in experience?[/QUOTE]

Afraid not. The second pokemon will receive the standard amount.

Just beat the sixth gym. Here's some advice for you

1) DONT USE THE LUCKY EGG FOR IN GAME TRAINING
2) DONT GRIND ON A LOT OF WILD POKEMON AFTER GYM 4

If you do these, the game will become really easy. Too easy in fact. After beating gym 6, my official team is:

Serperior Lv. 37 (After getting Leaf Blade, I really like him now. His movepool NEEDS diversity though. I also wish he was part dragon type)
Stoutland Lv. 34 (I usually don't like using a normal type, but he has a badass mustache and acts as such a solid fighter)
Zebstrika Lv. 38 (He's getting better and better. He would have been perfect if he was part dark, but man is he cool. He has a decent fire move and a great electrical lineup)
Carracosta Lv. 38 (I love Tirtouga, and I love this one, but I wish the design was slightly cooler. He looks like a malnourished Blastoise. His typing and movepool is nothing short of excellent though)
Sawk Lv. 34 (He isn't doing a ton for my team anymore other than being the strength carrier and having good fighting moves, but he is ridiculously solid in battle. He can sweep entire gyms while being underleveled, easily in fact).
Sigilyph Lv. 20 (He has Fly)

I really want to put my new Drilbur in slot 6, but I also need a flying type. Hmm. Does anyone know of a really good flying type this gen I might be missing? I don't really love the peacock basic bird evo. Now that I think of it, I may try to get the swan on GTS

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='62t']Black and white sold 1.08 million copies on day 1. Breaks the previous record of 700k from D/P[/QUOTE]

In Japan or America? If it's America that is pretty impressive.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']In Japan or America? If it's America that is pretty impressive.[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming America because Japan has had the game since September and Europe released the game on Friday.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']In Japan or America? If it's America that is pretty impressive.[/QUOTE]

America

I just beat the first gym. My Pokemon are kinda weak, but I don't want to grind and make the game too easy.

Still waiting for my copy to arrive from Amazon. :censored:

Get this... I ordered one Black and one White sometime last week and used free 2-day shipping for Prime. The games shipped out Sunday morning. Sometime Sunday night, my youngest brother decided that he wanted a copy too so I ordered it for him. My Prime expired so I chose the free shipping, which is around 5 days or so.

Yeah... both shipments are expected to arrive tomorrow. :whistle2:#

If anyone is curious, I think the Collector's Edition guide is terrible. The main walkthrough is barely readable, item locations are shown but it doesn't say what each item is... Essentially the format of the entire book is horrid. Just a bunch of pictures, really. Maps are decently helpful I guess.

i think the CE is worth $16
i like the cover and i think its pretty good
i bet Vol 2 will be the guide to get with battle strategies and a complete pokedex and move list

I got mine for $9.35, all paid with the single $10 promo credit from pre-ordering too.

I still don't know... They've been doing this for so long, just dumbing everything down with the stat growths, etc... They don't give you numbers, just stars. And as for trainer battles, yeah it's "covered" if you count having like 10 pages of just pictures of their sprites as "covering" them. I should've known what I was getting into from previous guides, so ignore my rant if you know what to expect already. It's really my fault for buying it >.>

It's a nice collectible item, not gonna lie. It's worth it in that regard for what I paid, but my issue is with it's usefulness. Still gonna use Drayano's guide on GameFAQs over this.

Is anyone playing B/W on a DSiXL? I still can't get my connection to work with it, even though I configured it with WPA. I just keep getting an error telling me to check my system settings :(

bread's done
Back