Pokemon D/P - How old are you poll

PenguinoMF

CAGiversary!
Feedback
60 (100%)
I just listened to CAGcast #73 and Wombat was wondering the age of current pokemon players. So I figured I would start this poll for him and see what kind of answers there are.

I'm twenty right now, but I'll be turning 21 in July so i went with that bracket since it will be more accurate longer

Wow. I thought I was strange at 23 for buying in, but it seems i'm the average on CAG..

I am really enjoying it though, I haven't touched a pokemon game since Pokemon Red. All of the additions made since then make it feel pretty new.

[quote name='RaPtOrsIII']most of us grew up with pokemon blue and red :)[/quote]
I remember getting red when I could barely read. My mom had to tell me how it worked and I was good from there :cool:

[quote name='RaPtOrsIII']most of us grew up with pokemon blue and red :)[/quote] QFT, I remember when my parents picked up a copy of pokemon, chose red just because charizard looked so much cooler than blastoise lol.

very interesting that the age results so far are leaning towards the late teens to early 20s (20 yrs here)

[quote name='squirrel007']I remember getting red when I could barely read. My mom had to tell me how it worked and I was good from there :cool:[/QUOTE]

So when was that? Last month?

[quote name='David85']So when was that? Last month?[/quote]
Either that's a horrible attempt at a joke or you're a douche.

On topic, I got blue version along with a gameboy color back in 5th grade or whenever. One of the best gaming experiences I've ever had, Diamond is very nostalgia worthy.

God job putting up a poll. Although this doesnt really count the possible demographic of ages 12 and under (I assume most CAGs are above that age), it seems to reflect those Pokemon fans who usually experienced at least the first Pokemon Red and Blue when they first came out for the Gamboy Pocket Ripper. Most of the people I've talked to who have gotten into D&P were people who only played the very first two. There must be something eye grabbing about the Pokmon DS games that resurrected it's old fans. Me thinks it's the added online capability and the already booming sales of the DS system. Or maybe Nintendo has always had our hearts clenched in their iron fist via the Pokemon franchise. Well, I picked Krang FTW to botch the results.

i'm 19, and i was right about the target age when red and blue came out, so it's only fitting that i try every new pokemon rpg that comes out. i grew up with it, so it's hard not to love such a solid rpg.

I didn't get the game, but I love how you have micro-sized age brackets at the low end (12-14, 15-17, etc), then throw us old people in the "Over 30". :rofl: Great, there's 7 brackets below me (and there would have been a few more if you had continued in that mode)! For what it's worth, I never got into Pokemon because I was an adult when it hit. What was the first Pokemon game and when was it released anyway? I really didn't pay that much attention to that kind of stuff then ;).

Man, do I feel old. I can't believe I'm in the highest age bracket (32) - I thought CAGs tended to be older.

Haven't picked up either game (hence no vote) but I've thought about it.

here's to us in the "Over 30" bracket!

im 32. when red and blue came out, i was a manager at a funcoland, and didnt see what the whole fuss was about. after a while, kids started trading the games back in, so i picked it up and played it. so did all the other employees. we were all hooked.

i havened played another pokemon since red and blue (aside from diamond), but im thinking about picking up the emerald one to see what i missed.

18 here.

I grew up on red and blue, then played Yellow, Gold, Ruby, FireRed, and now Diamond. It hasn't changed too much, but the core gameplay is ridiculously addictive.

am 23 and turning 24 soon
-------------------------------------------
actually my first copy of Pokemon is Pokemon FireRed
lol a late starter here unlike most of you guys

kids....I'm 36.

After loathing it for years, I picked up and actually played sliver a few years ago. I was hooked. Admittedly, I shun the collection aspect of it (I usually only acquire about 20-30 pokeman)

. However, I loved to build up a really strong party and kick ass.

I started with silver, then went to blue, then ruby and now pearl.

Count me in with the senior (30+) crowd.

THis is also the first Pokemon game I have ever played. I dont count Puzzle League. So this is all new to me.

I'm 28 and still thinking about getting this. I've never played Pokemon before and given its strong following I may try it. Of course I would get fucked up by 10 year olds online.

Is their a big difference between the two colors? The pearl cover looks cool, so I'd get that one.

Played red and yellow, that was the last time i played any form of it, but since diamond and pearl came out i thought i'd give it a try. Turns out it was fun as the first time i played pokemon, can't believe my age bracket has the most votes, i'm 22 btw.

[quote name='jbuck138']I'm 28 and still thinking about getting this. I've never played Pokemon before and given its strong following I may try it. Of course I would get fucked up by 10 year olds online.

Is their a big difference between the two colors? The pearl cover looks cool, so I'd get that one.[/quote]

I believe the only difference is that there are a few Pokemon that are exclusive to each version. There are hundreds that are in each version, but a small number of exclusives. So you have to trade online to get those into your version of the game.

I think if u still watch the anime. youmight have a problem there but if u play the game its not a problem at all. im 20 btw!

16 here...and I bought diamond

btw i tried to play blue the other day, and those graphics are horrible!
i was surprised that gold/silver held up tho...those were the best

[quote name='musicnoteless']I'm 21 and I was in Middle school when RBY came out. I got this game mostly for nostalgic reason. It's still fun as hell to play tho.[/quote]

likewise - such a nostalgic reason... past memories, youth, & that absurd missingno!

[quote name='guynextshore']likewise - such a nostalgic reason... past memories, youth, & that absurd missingno![/quote]
QFT! Oh man the days of Exploiting quick leveling and battling with a lv256 Charmeleon.

*Battle with your friend*
Friend: WTF?!? Lv256?!?! Why is his health bar off the screen??!?!?

:rofl:

Oooo, do I win?

Picked up Pearl today (for myself) and I'm 41. :p

Never played a Pokemon game except for a brief trial of Mystery Dungeon Blue. I tried it out a bit this afternoon and enjoyed it so I picked it up after work.

[quote name='Logain8955']24, almost 25.

God damn, this poll makes me feel old.

GET OFFA MAH LAWN![/QUOTE]

Oh, please! :roll:

You're an infant compared to some of us.
I'll take your knees if you think they are too old for you (I fucked mine up when I was 20 and I'm feeling it now) ;).

And don't come near my lawn - I'll come after ya!

Back on topic - I'm gathering from some of the responses that the first Pokemon was only 10 years ago or so? Heck, I wasn't just an adult then, I was married with a baby... No wonder it was off my radar. For some reason I thought it had been around for a lot longer than that.

edison - don't know if you "win" but you got me beat by a few years ;).

sweet, there's gonna be an age wars in this thread.
Who else wants popcorn? I got dibs on the guy with the cane whuppin' up on the other guy with the oxygen tank!
:boxing:
*offers popcorn*

[quote name='musicnoteless']QFT! Oh man the days of Exploiting quick leveling and battling with a lv256 Charmeleon.

*Battle with your friend*
Friend: WTF?!? Lv256?!?! Why is his health bar off the screen??!?!?

:rofl:[/quote]

HAHAHAH!! I can't believe I missed this...
classic, classic! I love the first reaction with people I played with - WTF is that?!! - uh... it's a bird pokemon. I have 2.

I swear... i'd love to get some glitches again perhaps negative levels?
still thought, yours had charmanders?
I only got that digital screwed bird... or the an unverified ghost pokemon (the image you get when didn't have that scope item)

32 with one foot in the grave. One dead soon I will play against the grim reaper. If I win I'lll live another day. If I die its straight to hell where everyone has a DS but nobody has a charger.

I'm turning 20 next month, and one of the few girl gamers I know that is in love with Pokemon. Everyone else is off rolling Katamaris and playing Guitar Hero :whistle2:#

Bumping this because I just got Pearl through the Amazon DotD and have been enjoying the hell out of it ever since. 33 and proud, thank you.

I played and reviewed Blue ten years ago, a time when I was getting paid to write about Game Boy games. At first, people didn't really know what to think of it. There were no cards (there are a lot of people out there, parents mostly, who think the cards came first), there was no cartoon. There was just Red and Blue. Hard to imagine that now. It's not easy to release a completely new video game IP for kids without having some TV or movie tie-in, but Nintendo pulled it off.

I dabbled with Sapphire a bit, but I had really forgotten how solid and deep the gameplay in these titles are. Level grinding isn't the chore it is in most RPGs, and there's so much to do. I don't have any intention of competing or anything, but I would like to complete the game and go back and collect as many pokemon as I can.

I started playing Diamond, but then I started playing Hotel Dusk, but then I started playing Puzzle Quest, but then I started playing Castlevania.... and so on. Pretty much the story of my gaming career.

20 by the by.

[quote name='Tybee']I played and reviewed Blue ten years ago, a time when I was getting paid to write about Game Boy games. At first, people didn't really know what to think of it. There were no cards (there are a lot of people out there, parents mostly, who think the cards came first), there was no cartoon. There was just Red and Blue. Hard to imagine that now. It's not easy to release a completely new video game IP for kids without having some TV or movie tie-in, but Nintendo pulled it off.[/quote]the cartoon came out simultaneous with the game.

[quote name='banpeikun']the cartoon came out simultaneous with the game.[/quote]actually i was wrong, the cartoon was actually a little before the game.

pokemon episode 1 "pokemon, i choose you" 9/8/1998*
pokemon red/blue: 9/30/1998*

* north america

[quote name='banpeikun']actually i was wrong, the cartoon was actually a little before the game.

pokemon episode 1 "pokemon, i choose you" 9/8/1998*
pokemon red/blue: 9/30/1998*

* north america[/quote]
I stand corrected. And now that you mention it, I do remember the show premiering. I actually watched it for a few eps, just because I was so enamored of the game. But my tolerance for non-Miyazaki anime is low and the show is very shrill, so it didn't last. ;)

I still remember Ash eating what was clearly a rice ball and the dub saying "Yum! This is a good doughnut!"

EDIT: Is there an official CAG pokemon thread? I realize I'm late to the ball, but were you guys trading codes and/or pokemon at any point?

bread's done
Back