Portal 2 FREE DLC OUT NOW!

For anyone who doesnt make the same mistake I did. Add the person you are playing for Professor Portal -as a friend-

I did this with 3 people now, and 2 of them didnt work because I realized I didnt add as a friend. The third went through without a hitch when I added as a friend (prior to playing).

I got to chapter 7 last night, but haven't dived into it yet. Such a great game. It seems to just keep getting better.
I want my $60!

[quote name='crunchewy']I got to chapter 7 last night, but haven't dived into it yet. Such a great game. It seems to just keep getting better.
I want my $60!
[/QUOTE]

I agree - I just got to Chapter 6 and this game is [INSERT COMPLIMENT HERE].

[quote name='nnthomas']For anyone who doesnt make the same mistake I did. Add the person you are playing for Professor Portal -as a friend-

I did this with 3 people now, and 2 of them didnt work because I realized I didnt add as a friend. The third went through without a hitch when I added as a friend (prior to playing).[/QUOTE]
You're welcome.

[quote name='murph17']fun with companion cubes... (spoiler warning)
[/QUOTE]

You dirty liar, I only saw one companion cube in that whole video. I am going to burn your house down with lemons.

I was thinking P2 is easier than P1 at first....but now, I think it's just that people who played through P1 got used to "thinking with portals", so a lot of the tricks are now second nature.

There are some very tricky and intricate courses in both the single and co-op campaigns.

Looking for friends for co-op. Nobody on my list seems to have the game and I'm tired of playing with ransoms who don't use a headset.
Gamertag: Renegade Moose.

Got the game yesterday and finished it today in two sittings. I couldn't stop playing this AWESOME game! I didn't think any puzzle was particularly difficult, I remember one or two levels in the first Portal that were brutal. I thought the story was very good and funny and Stephen Merchant was awesome. I can't wait to play the co-op.
If anyone wants to get a co-op game going from the beginning send me a message or friend request.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']I was thinking P2 is easier than P1 at first....but now, I think it's just that people who played through P1 got used to "thinking with portals", so a lot of the tricks are now second nature.

There are some very tricky and intricate courses in both the single and co-op campaigns.[/QUOTE]

Agree, once you get the general idea with Portals you know to look for certain things.
I do think some of the levels in Portal 1 were a little too brutal and they needed extra precise jumps.

Yeah, I agree with eliter1....some of P1's jumps did require super intricate precision on the jumps. That is what got me hung up twice in the original game. But, I didn't encounter that problem in P2.

I beat it yesterday and that ending was out of this world ..... wakka wakka!

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']I was thinking P2 is easier than P1 at first....but now, I think it's just that people who played through P1 got used to "thinking with portals", so a lot of the tricks are now second nature. [/QUOTE]

I think this is true too. I remember first playing Portal and it took me a while to wrap my head around the concept of how to move around using portals. Now it is like second nature.

Free DLC is a win! Awesome! I'm still in chapter 7. IMHO, some of the puzzles are tough. Not in terms of gymnastics, but the puzzles themselves. Always satisfying when you figure them out and execute. I'll be looking forward to the DLC. As far as the co-op, I'm saving it for a friend who I've convinced to buy an Xbox and Portal 2. I figure I better play with him or I'll never hear the end of it. :)

I'm going to go out on a limb, though, and say something slightly negative. IMHO the humor is starting to get a bit repetitive. Cave Johnson in particular - the humor from him is pretty much exactly the same every time he speaks. It was funny at first, but now it's less so. Perhaps it will pick up later. I do like
the potato, though :)

Does anyone else need to earn...

Empty Gesture?
Professor Portal?
Portal Conservation Society?
Triple Crown?
Still Alive?
Friends With Benefits?

[quote name='The Ebbtide']Does anyone else need to earn...

Empty Gesture?
Professor Portal?
Triple Crown?
Still Alive?
Friends With Benefits?
[/QUOTE]

I need all of them

One thing I think Valve is getting a total pass on is the load times between test chambers. At least hide it with the elevator animation or something. It is ridiculous how often you have to watch a loading screen.

[quote name='Javery']One thing I think Valve is getting a total pass on is the load times between test chambers. At least hide it with the elevator animation or something.[/QUOTE]
BioWare tried that with Mass Effect 1, but apparently reviewers and players indicated that they would rather just have loading screens, so they scrapped the idea in ME2.

[quote name='Javery']One thing I think Valve is getting a total pass on is the load times between test chambers. At least hide it with the elevator animation or something. It is ridiculous how often you have to watch a loading screen.[/QUOTE]

play dead rising 1 or 2, portal 2's loading isn't bad

Does anyone know how the co-op works if one player has made more progress than the other? Can you continue from whoever is further, and does it matter who hosts?

My brother and I played split-screen on my Xbox and made it partway through, now he's back at school and we want to continue from where we left off, but none of that progress is saved on his console. I'm hoping we won't have to start over from the beginning.

[quote name='kurrptsenate']God this game is so good. Really impressed with the level of games coming out of Valve the pass 3 years.[/QUOTE]

So.... Left 4 Dead 2, Alien Swarm and Portal 2? ;)

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Does anyone know how the co-op works if one player has made more progress than the other? Can you continue from whoever is further, and does it matter who hosts?

My brother and I played split-screen on my Xbox and made it partway through, now he's back at school and we want to continue from where we left off, but none of that progress is saved on his console. I'm hoping we won't have to start over from the beginning.[/QUOTE]

whoever is further in progress is further, since you made it halfway on your gt you can continue where you left off, he won't get credit for "finishing co-op" untill he has done all of them on his gt for the achievements

[quote name='theredworm']whoever is further in progress is further, since you made it halfway on your gt you can continue where you left off, he won't get credit for "finishing co-op" untill he has done all of them on his gt for the achievements[/QUOTE]
Thanks! As long as I get the achievement. O:)

[quote name='The Ebbtide']Does anyone else need to earn...

Empty Gesture?
Professor Portal?
Triple Crown?
Still Alive?
Friends With Benefits?
[/QUOTE]

I need all of those, too.

I just played with a 'stranger' online, who had literally never played the cooperative portion of the game, and helped him get every achievement except Friends with Benefits and Professor Portal. We did this in about 3-4 hours of playing, and never, ever used a headset. I can't believe we got Still Alive together.

If only we had been friends, I would've unlocked Professor Portal.

This is seriously my favorite type of online experience, though - no guns or violence, just puzzle solving with a mutual goal.

If anyone needs help with the online achievements, please message me. I'll gladly help you to the best of my ability.

Just finished the co-op; if anyone hasn't played and wants to help me get the Professor Portal cheev, send me a message! Also if you just need a hug towards Friends List with Benefits.

[quote name='Javery']Someone seriously needs to sell posters of all the signs in this game. So funny.[/QUOTE]
You mean this?

Yeah, I'm considering the poster pack. I only really like the robot and signs ones, but it's still a better deal if you want both of those.

Just beat the game yesterday in roughly 2 sessions. Found the humor to be incredibly funny and the puzzles to be awesome. I got stuck at about 2 occasions, but resisted resorting to a FAQ/walkthrough and eventually made my way through.

I haven't touched the co-op section yet, though. I'll be looking for co-op team mates later on this evening so send me a FR if you're at all interested.

Just finished single player and wow. Best SP game I've gone through in a long time. A bit short, but sweet while it lasted. By any chance can anyone tell me
who or what Caroline was? GLADOS kept mentioning Caroline being inside her towards the end, but I have no clue who that was.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']By any chance can anyone tell me
who or what Caroline was? GLADOS kept mentioning Caroline being inside her towards the end, but I have no clue who that was.
[/QUOTE]
Play through chapter 6 (maybe 7) again and pay attention.
You're told who she is the first time Cave Johnson speaks, then what happened to her (rather, what he wants to happen to her) close to when you're leaving retro Aperture.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']Just finished single player and wow. Best SP game I've gone through in a long time. A bit short, but sweet while it lasted. By any chance can anyone tell me
[/QUOTE]
Like firvagor said, it's right near the end of the old testing chambers (chapter 7) in the room with no portal surfaces that he says it.

He says (roughly) that if they can't put his brain on a compact disc before he dies, he wants it to be done to Caroline and have her put in charge of the facility.

[quote name='Transformah']If anyone needs that Professor Portal achievement, send me a friend request. I haven't touched co-op yet.[/QUOTE]
I would love to. What is your gt? Mine is "Renegade Moose." I was just looking there are quite a few co-op achievements I have yet to get...

Iron Grip
Empty Gesture
Party of Three
Narbacular Drop
Professor Portal
Portal Conservation Society
Four Ring Circus
Triple Crown
Still Alive
Asking for Trouble
Friends List With Benefits

Edit: Sorry, Just saw your tag... FR sent.

I still need (3) Friends List... and Professor Portal. And my Amazon Trade-In deadline expires tomorrow. Someone, please help me get 1000/1000.

[quote name='The Ebbtide']I still need (3) Friends List... and Professor Portal. And my Amazon Trade-In deadline expires tomorrow. Someone, please help me get 1000/1000.[/QUOTE]
I haven't touched co-op yet, but I've been dying to. I'll help ya get that achievement...but I really want to play with someone who hasn't played co-op yet. My gtag is my name here. I'll try hittin ya up on live

[quote name='The Ebbtide']I still need (3) Friends List... and Professor Portal. And my Amazon Trade-In deadline expires tomorrow. Someone, please help me get 1000/1000.[/QUOTE]

friend me and I'd be happy to help with the friends list thing (and anyone else that needs it) (xbl: MildObstruction). I'll be on in the morning and maybe for a bit tonight.

Also, I routinely send stuff to amazon a week or two past the "deadline" - just print your label tonight. Check the trade-in faq in my sig for more info - just get it there in less than 25ish days and you'll be ok.

So when does this game start getting difficult? I'm talking "OMFG I NEED A FAQ/A BREAK BEFORE I PUNCH SOMETHING" difficult. I've reached the 19th chamber with minimal effort so I'm starting to feel pretty underwhelmed. Almost more like a training exercise for those who beat the first game than anything else really.

Everything else is more or less spot on though GLaDOS is totally stealing the show. The writers have done a wonderful job of crafting her into the perfect antagonist. Impressive stuff.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']So when does this game start getting difficult? I'm talking "OMFG I NEED A FAQ/A BREAK BEFORE I PUNCH SOMETHING" difficult. I've reached the 19th chamber with minimal effort so I'm starting to feel pretty underwhelmed. Almost more like a training exercise for those who beat the first game than anything else really.[/QUOTE]In the single player, that never really happens. After listening to the developer commentary, I think Valve deliberately decided to skew the game a bit on the easy side based on their playtester feedback.

Co-op reports seem to indicate those puzzles are way harder.

I finished single player last night. It was great from start to finish. I did encounter a game-breaking bug on the final level though. I played for about 25 minutes before I finally decided to go online and see what the deal was. Even still I thought it was excellent but they do need to patch it...

[quote name='Gentlegamer']In the single player, that never really happens. After listening to the developer commentary, I think Valve deliberately decided to skew the game a bit on the easy side based on their playtester feedback.

Co-op reports seem to indicate those puzzles are way harder.[/QUOTE]

I think co-op might be harder just by virtue of having to work with someone else. I'm on the last course just playing local co-op with two controllers (yes, by myself and yes, I know it's sad - who else plays at 5am?) and I spent longer on some of the single player tests than any of the co-op. I can definitely see how it would be tough if there was difficulty communicating with a partner.

I never played the first Portal though, so maybe single player was just a good primer for co-op.

Regardless, the game is absolutely terrific. Maybe the DLC / PC community will provide some hair ripping challenge.

bread's done
Back