Portal 2 - Questions And Co-Op Team-Up Thread

Im on psn as gargux if anyone wants to add me and play when it comes back up.

Im on steam as gargux also, but I dont have pc version yet since I got portal 2 after psn went down so I cant log on to activate my pc version.

Just got Portal 2 and I'm really enjoying it, except for one thing: why oh why did Valve not allow for inverting the horizontal camera control (only the vertical)?! WTF. I much much prefer hitting right to look left (similar to hitting down to look up), as if you're controlling the camera itself rather than a person's head. :(

After talking with friends at work (who were all aghast at the idea), I guess it's more common for 3rd person 3D games than first person games. To me, I'd like the ability to change my view (ie.. look around or swing the camera around) the same regardless of whether my game character is actually showing on the screen. To my friends, that was ridiculous. Maybe I'll start a thread on this topic to get more opinions.

Got all synched up with Steam (achievement wise) post PSN death. Bout ready to dive into the coop (finally). Since PSN is post death... is it the undead?

I decided to blow thru co-op with a friend during PSN downtime on Steam (linked my accounts before it went down) and prayed the cloud saving would carry over back to PSN but alas, nope :/

Gonna have to replay it all for the co-op trophies.

BTW, I need people who want to /hug me in co-op for that particular achievement and also someone willing to use a dummy account to get Prof. Portal.

Will return the favor and help you w/ whatever you need also, PM me!

I just need Prof Portal and the hugs. Willing to help out in other trophies you may need. Did everything offline when PSN was down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also looking for Professor Portal and Friends List With Benefits help on Steam or PS3. They're the only two I don't have on Steam, but I figured may as well try to get them on the PS3 since it's a one-way trip.

PSN: Fuze9
Steam: Thunderin' Jaysus

Started co-op last night. Man co-op is a blast in this game.

Also would like to note that playing PS3 and PC together works flawlessly. No lag, no nothing. It's incredible. The only thing was me and my GF had to do a skype call to talk but that's normal.

my problem with the singleplayer, however epic the dialogue and ending were -- is that it was simply too much. the middle and later portions in the game really dragged a lot.

it was like playing the original portal, except it's 3x longer.

i did love the game, but it became a bit tedious at times.

I added some people on PSN, still pending though.

PM me here or AIM: HellsBovineKing to set up a time to knock the last 2 achievements out (can help if you need others... but hopefully not the ENTIRE co-op)

Trying to finish up so I can trade my copy in

[quote name='panzerfaust']my problem with the singleplayer, however epic the dialogue and ending were -- is that it was simply too much. the middle and later portions in the game really dragged a lot.

i did love the game, but it became a bit tedious at times.[/QUOTE]

I think my problem was not that there was too much middle, it was just too much of the same in the middle. In portal 1 at least in the end portions there were a lot of jumps that really were timed and a lot of thinking involved to get nail those perfectly.

In the middle of this game it
was keep hitting the wall with your gun until you find that one portal that works. Well in my opinion anyway, except for those few test chambers that were ok.
. It got kinda boring until the end which got really fun again.

[quote name='panzerfaust']my problem with the singleplayer, however epic the dialogue and ending were -- is that it was simply too much. the middle and later portions in the game really dragged a lot.

i did love the game, but it became a bit tedious at times.[/QUOTE]
If you play with the commentary on, they start to talk about that towards the end. They knew it was dragging, and the play testers said it was dragging. They tried to add those segment in the end where you ride the line of light for a while between puzzles to break the flow of the boredom, but it didn't really work.

I wanted to fault the game for that- but I got over it. I felt like it dragged at the end, but really it was just too complicated for too long. If I'd played it in shorter sessions i might not have even noticed.

The couple co-op's ive gotten I wasn't able to talk to my teammate.

Is voice chat even allowed?

Would love to go through it from the start with someone with a mic(if possible)

add me: ibAdAzz (its pronounced ee-buh-daz)

[quote name='Brainberry']The couple co-op's ive gotten I wasn't able to talk to my teammate.

Is voice chat even allowed?

Would love to go through it from the start with someone with a mic(if possible)

add me: ibAdAzz (its pronounced ee-buh-daz)[/QUOTE]
Voice chat is allowed, I've spoken over the mic with people on steam and PSN in Co-Op.

I can't help w/ Prof. Portal anymore since I traded my PS3 copy in, but if anyone still needs a hug just add me on PSN and I can help you thru Steam.

Anyone up for some coop soon?
Just unlocked the hug gesture so I want to get the "Friends List With Benefits" trophy. :)
Does it matter if the the friends are on Steam or PSN if you play the PS3 version?

I just finished the single-player campaign and need to complete the co-op. I started a split-screen co-op with my roommate, but he recently left on vacation.

My question: Is each co-op pairing unique? If I started a co-op session with a new player, would we start at square one? Or can you advance directly to where the least accomplished player left off?

My time is currently limited for now, so I am not really available for a multi-hour gaming session. However, if it was possible for me to knock off a few co-op levels at a time, it would make sense for me to chip away at another gold trophy.

[I am currently in the middle of the co-op light bridges, if I recall correctly]

You see in co-op above the courses as you enter there are blue/orange boxes? Those represent the rooms each of you have finished.

If EITHER of you have finished a room, you can enter it by selecting it on the panel so yes it does save individual progress. Only thing is, if you want certain trophies you'd need to do all the rooms in a course; you can't just jump to the last one and get credit.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']You see in co-op above the courses as you enter there are blue/orange boxes? Those represent the rooms each of you have finished.

If EITHER of you have finished a room, you can enter it by selecting it on the panel so yes it does save individual progress. Only thing is, if you want certain trophies you'd need to do all the rooms in a course; you can't just jump to the last one and get credit.[/QUOTE]
Thanks so much for the response.

So as I understand it, I could go course-by-course and still get my trophies as long as I start in room one. (Course 3, Room 1). And if I completed all of the courses up to the final, I could start in (Final Course, Room 1) and get credit. Does that sound correct with what you have been experiencing?

Yeah, pretty much. You get the trophies for completing the entire course if you have all the boxes filled in, if you for some reason played with someone further than you and jumped around.

Your progress is saved, whatever you do and regardless of who you played with.

[quote name='Saint Noir']Cool. Hugs I just need to hug friends. Prof Portal I have to play coop with someone who has never played. Ugh. I'll add you though. :)[/QUOTE]
I can help with Professor Portal using my younger brother's account.
I can even do it right now, if you want.
PSN ID is Voxden (I hate how similar it is to my username....)

[quote name='Oaxan']I can help with Professor Portal using my younger brother's account.
I can even do it right now, if you want.
PSN ID is Voxden (I hate how similar it is to my username....)[/QUOTE]

Cool. I'll boot it up and add you if you want to get it done. Appreciate it. :D

[quote name='Saint Noir']Cool. I'll boot it up and add you if you want to get it done. Appreciate it. :D[/QUOTE]
Getting on it right now.

A pal and I went through the co-op and for some reason I did not get credit for passing about 4 levels. I didn't get the 'orange fill' of the square. It bothers me so much, I'm eventually going to go back and do them over again. :bomb:

Also, this is such an epic and classic game to me. I loved it!

I've been replaying Course 4 by myself with two controllers to get Still Alive, and keep dying at the very last section. It's ridiculous that I'm able to make it through the death maze in the 2nd to last chamber, but not survive the last chamber, but it's hard to use two controllers at once without making my head spin.

I'm amazed that I haven't broken the controllers with the rage it's induced to get that close and then die.

^i need those too. Got an alt that we can do prof. portal with?

How do alt accounts work with steam- do we have to create a 2nd steam account too?

I can help ya guys if ya want I already plat the game a while back :)

nballard you can create a 2nd Steam account but I think you can only link your PS3 copy only once with the code, though I haven't tried linking it again on another acct.

You know, about the Prof Portal trophy, I've been thinking could you copy your Portal 2 save over to a USB stick then delete it from the PS3 in order to help someone with the trophy? Then when you're done just copy your original save back.

Your trophies would still prevent this, as the game knows you've completed the Calibration Course because you have the high five trophy unlocked. It's not coincidence that they made that trophy/achievement.

I still need 3 hugs, Professor Portal and Still Alive. I should be on for a while now since I'm playing the Uncharted 3 Beta, so message me on PSN ( The_Ebbtide ) if you need a hug.

I can't even get Portal 2 to play on my computer because I lack Snow Leopard...why did they make that a requirement?!

[quote name='The Ebbtide']Your trophies would still prevent this, as the game knows you've completed the Calibration Course because you have the high five trophy unlocked. It's not coincidence that they made that trophy/achievement.

[/QUOTE]
Pretty much every game has trophies for beating individual levels, the high five trophy is the same thing, just something for beating the first co-op level.

bread's done
Back