Post pics of your HD DVD and Blu-Ray collections!!

Jedi1979

CAGiversary!
Feedback
191 (100%)
I dont recall seeing a thread like this recently and i figure with all the recent BOGO on both sides it might be interested seeing various collections...of course they usually change fast so it is kind of hard to keep the pics up to date;)

I am also curious how some of you organize them...

dsc01491yg0.jpg
dsc01492tc0.jpg
dsc01483bz3.jpg
dsc01486qy1.jpg

I'm with you on that one javeryh. I have a small collection also and I still haven't watched all of them.

Anyways here is my collection of hd-dvd's and blu-ray's
100_0187.jpg

100_0190.jpg

[quote name='UjnHunter']i'll post my pics later... I only buy HD-DVD's and only on sale or discounted and only movies that I really like or are worth it. question to the guy that said he buys the blu-ray version of a movie unless it has a signifigant upgrade in special features etc... why? that's almost like buying a PS3 version of a game instead of the 360 version...[/quote]

I think you are referring to me so what i mean is if the HD DVD version has more features then the blu version then i may go with HD DVD otherwise i stick with blu...if you arent referring to me then nevermind;)

Jedi979:

Your cats look very much like my black cat and tuxedo cat. Everytime I see your avatar, I think I'm looking at Squeaky and Wasabi, my two cats.

I'm surprised someone would admit they had Mr Beans Holiday in there collection =D Thats was my pick as worst movie of the year and I saw allot of crap.

[quote name='gav']I'm surprised someone would admit they had Mr Beans Holiday in there collection =D Thats was my pick as worst movie of the year and I saw allot of crap.[/quote]

lol...the ones on that tiny shelf in between in my collection are being sold, traded, etc...but yeah the wife brought that along with artic tale when bestbuy had the BOGO for christmas...and she regreted it about 10 mins into the movie:lol:

[quote name='Jedi1979']I think you are referring to me so what i mean is if the HD DVD version has more features then the blu version then i may go with HD DVD otherwise i stick with blu...if you arent referring to me then nevermind;)[/QUOTE]

What bluray versions of movies have more content then the HD version? I thought other then maybe the 7.1 sound all were the same.

[quote name='sendme']What bluray versions of movies have more content then the HD version? I thought other then maybe the 7.1 sound all were the same.[/quote]

I dont know...i am just saying what would make a difference to me...I know HD DVD has some content that the Blu-ray version doesnt have...one that comes to mind is 300

[quote name='rsigley']here's mine, the stand works fine if its two separate ones, but when i stack it on top the middle row is too small to fit dvd's and i'm too lazy to rebuild it now
[/quote]

Lame question I know, but where did you buy that rack and for how much. I need a stand for all of my games and dvd's but have not found a good one.

Some great collections!

Got me thinking, though...

For those with large HD movie collections, what do you estimate you spent acquiring the movies you've pictured?

Also, do you find that you watch the movie just once? Or do you go back and re-watch most of them many time? In other words, why do you collect so many movies?

[quote name='TehMuff1nM4n']Lame question I know, but where did you buy that rack and for how much. I need a stand for all of my games and dvd's but have not found a good one.[/quote]

I use IKEA Billy bookshelves for mine. They are huge, and always in the 'As IS' section - making them like $40 total. Only thing wrong is usually a scratch on the back or side or something like that.

[quote name='sgs89']For those with large HD movie collections, what do you estimate you spent acquiring the movies you've pictured?[/QUOTE]

Probably somewhere over a grand.

[quote name='sgs89']Also, do you find that you watch the movie just once? Or do you go back and re-watch most of them many time? In other words, why do you collect so many movies?[/QUOTE]

There are two rules I have for keeping a movie, 1) it must be good and 2) I must be able watch it multiple times.

If it doesn't meet both of those requirements, I sell or trade it to fund or acquire new movies.

I buy so many movies because sometime I get a craving to really watch a certain movie and it's nice to have it on hand.

I have a Blockbuster Online account to help curve my blind-buy habit.

man, there needs to be a post like this with just straight up dvds for all of us out of daters who are too poor to upgrade to hd

[quote name='Jedi1979']I dont know...i am just saying what would make a difference to me...I know HD DVD has some content that the Blu-ray version doesnt have...one that comes to mind is 300[/QUOTE]

Really what does it have on HD that it does not have on Bluray?

I don't have a fancy-schmancy camera, but this shows off the tower:

WebCamCapture-1.jpg

I love organizing my movies, but I've been out of DVD space for a while now, so hi-def never had a place to start. If you can't tell, only the pile in front is movies - the other two are GCN and PS2 games.

Counting the "Best of Blu-rays" as 4 movies each, I have 36 on Blu-ray, and 15 on HD-DVD. I think I've got 8 more Blu-rays on the way from the latest BOGO.

I think I'm the only person who blends the Blu-Rays and HD-DVDs together... I just have all my high def movies in A-Z order, I like them mixed in

[quote name='sgs89']Some great collections!

Got me thinking, though...

For those with large HD movie collections, what do you estimate you spent acquiring the movies you've pictured?

[/QUOTE]
I don't even want to think about how much I've spent. I know my BD collection was way cheaper than my HD-DVD collection, since basically every other one came as a BOGO or simmilar deal. I had an HD-DVD player back in 2006 before all these amazing sales ever happened, so I'm pretty sure I paid for about 80% of that collection opposed to the maybe 50% of my Blu collection, as most of those were either BOGO or trades.

[quote name='sgs89'] Also, do you find that you watch the movie just once? Or do you go back and re-watch most of them many time? In other words, why do you collect so many movies?[/QUOTE]
I know right now since my collection has just started growing out of control I'm still working towards getting everything watched once, but I have gone back and watched some movies multiple times if I'm really drawn to it. I know some nights I'll be thinking I should check out one of the never watched movies I have, but instead I'll pop in Serenity for the 5th time or whatever.

SANY0033.jpg

SANY0034.jpg

SANY0035.jpg
I've got 13 HD-DVD's and 4 Blu-Rays. Small collection but with my dvd's already taking all my shelf space, I have no room!

(About a year ago)
392878320_99a1b586bd.jpg

2163989037_6b79790d81.jpg
The rest can be seen here.

For those (I think one) asking about storage space, I use this. It's flimsy seeming, but I like that it at least looks like wood and holds quite a bit.

by my numbers i estimate the following cost for my collection...

105 Blu-ray $1352
62 HD DVD $468

at least 16 movies and the 3 boxsets were freebies on the HD DVD side

it comes out to about $11 each movie...and alot of times when i dont like a movie from the BOGO sales i end up making more then i spent on it so that helps lower the cost overall (i didnt take that into account here though) as well

[quote name='DestroVega']I think I'm the only person who blends the Blu-Rays and HD-DVDs together... I just have all my high def movies in A-Z order, I like them mixed in[/QUOTE]

If (when?) I get a Blu-ray player, i would organize them the same way. Seems it woul be easier to find the movie first, then determine which player it goes in

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get that stand? I'm in the process of looking for a decent stand that will hold anywhere between 150-200 dvds/blurays. Thanks. Great collection you got there btw.

[quote name='rsigley']here's mine, the stand works fine if its two separate ones, but when i stack it on top the middle row is too small to fit dvd's and i'm too lazy to rebuild it now

blu ray - 94
hd dvd - 97 (22 combos)

hd11.jpg

hd22.jpg

hd33.jpg
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='MajorMaxim']If you don't mind me asking, where did you get that stand? I'm in the process of looking for a decent stand that will hold anywhere between 150-200 dvds/blurays. Thanks. Great collection you got there btw.[/QUOTE]

http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tp...92807/catOid/-12934/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

shop around can find it cheaper, i got mine for 59.99

currently building a home theater in my house, gonna build shelving into the wall

i think thats the best

DVDtalk has a similar thread... while the pics here are impressive, some people over there have just way too much expendable income. And make me wish I had the same :D

Such as this.

img0403tz7.jpg

And now I see that the image problem must be flickr, since I was able to post this photo no problem.

[quote name='sendme']Really what does it have on HD that it does not have on Bluray?[/QUOTE]

The HD version of 300 has the blue screen mode where you get to see the blue screen spots they used. It's kinda neat but I don't think that justified the 5$ price difference. At least Warner has made the price of their movies the same now (although it really is screwing with BRD movies since those bumped up 5$ essentially).

[quote name='MajorMaxim']Awesome, thanks for that link. It seems a lot of the reviews on this rack are less than stellar. What's your verdict? Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

its alright

the instructions tell you how to set it up, but if you follow them you'll end up with a row in the middle that can't fit dvd's only cd's

it wasn't that bad to put together, but i didn't notice until i got to that row and by then i didn't feel like taking it apart

i never had any problems those people did in the reviews, i think they assembled it wrong

i like the handle part because i can just pick it up to vacuum underneath and then put it back

Anyone been able to spot vertical towers made specifically for HD/Blu-Ray discs (what's the official short-hand for Blu-Ray anyway)?

I just need something that'll hold 10 at the least that I can put next to the TV for stuff in my "to watch" queue.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Anyone been able to spot vertical towers made specifically for HD/Blu-Ray discs (what's the official short-hand for Blu-Ray anyway)?

I just need something that'll hold 10 at the least that I can put next to the TV for stuff in my "to watch" queue.[/QUOTE]
I believe it's BR.

[quote name='Jedi1979']lol...the ones on that tiny shelf in between in my collection are being sold, traded, etc...but yeah the wife brought that along with artic tale when bestbuy had the BOGO for christmas...and she regreted it about 10 mins into the movie:lol:[/quote]
I liked Mr Beans Holiday, infact I got it during the BOGO from BB too, and no i'm not ashamed to admit it

LOL jedi I made it 30 minutes =D
I never wanted to punch a fictitious character so bad. The moment he dumped his coffee on the laptop then walked a way I lost it.

Yeah...my camera's F-ed up, so I had to use my cell's camera. Anyway, here's my collection.

2165388210_b8228c2cbe_m.jpg

2164592089_a23370bd78_m.jpg

2165388492_80cc53014a_m.jpg

NOT PICTURED (Arriving by next week):
HD: Blade Runner, A Clockwork Orange, Deer Hunter, Face Off, and Dawn of the Dead.
BD: Pan's Labyrinth, FF4:ROTSS, The Transporter, Alexander Revisited, Troy, and The Phantom of the Opera.

[quote name='jlkeeton']The HD version of 300 has the blue screen mode where you get to see the blue screen spots they used. It's kinda neat but I don't think that justified the 5$ price difference. At least Warner has made the price of their movies the same now (although it really is screwing with BRD movies since those bumped up 5$ essentially).[/QUOTE]

I thought the blue screen spots were in both the HD and Blu-ray and that the normal DVD didn't have it. I bought the normal one just for the helmet and have yet to watch all of it. Thought it was great in theaters now I just reall couldn't care less to see it.

I just dont see the point in getting both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray waste of money.....what am I going to do with my money???? the companies should have atleast given us like a deal or something to send in our normal DVD movies and get the next gen one's cheaper....wtf other wise it's a crime to make us pay all OVER AGAIN!

[quote name='sendme']I thought the blue screen spots were in both the HD and Blu-ray and that the normal DVD didn't have it. I bought the normal one just for the helmet and have yet to watch all of it. Thought it was great in theaters now I just reall couldn't care less to see it.[/quote]I don't think BD can handle doing PiP (or maybe when 300 was released it couldn't?) At any rate, HD-DVD is the only version of the movie with the blue-scree PiP. BD 300 did win best audio though, from what I read.

What is up with these huge collections? You people are buying a hell of a lot of crap and a hell of a lot of movies that really don't need HD (I'm sure you people with huge collections already had a ton of them on DVD).

I don't feel like posting a picture since I have such a small (but nice) HD DVD collection.
Bourne Ultimatum
Flags of Our Fathers
King Kong
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Matrix Trilogy
Mummy
Serenity

On a related note, King Kong looks far superior to all 8 of my other HD DVDs, does anything else come close?

If anyone wants to see pics of my entire collection maybe i'll snap a few pics but here is the list.

:br: Simpsons Movie
LOL that's it.

[quote name='$hady']If anyone wants to see pics of my entire collection maybe i'll snap a few pics but here is the list.

:br: Simpsons Movie
LOL that's it.
[/quote]Dude, too much too read, PICS PLEASE ;)

Shoop da whoop!

hdmedia.jpg

In the mail:

Pan's Labyrinth
Shoot 'Em Up

On order:

Sunshine

5 Free HD DVD Offfer:

Troy
The Thing
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
The Italian Job