Post pics of your HD DVD and Blu-Ray collections!!

Jedi1979

CAGiversary!
Feedback
191 (100%)
I dont recall seeing a thread like this recently and i figure with all the recent BOGO on both sides it might be interested seeing various collections...of course they usually change fast so it is kind of hard to keep the pics up to date;)

I am also curious how some of you organize them...

dsc01491yg0.jpg
dsc01492tc0.jpg
dsc01483bz3.jpg
dsc01486qy1.jpg

0113081856.jpg

The bear is one of my first toys from when I was a little kid. He is probably older than some of the posters here. He likes Ratatouille. ;)

[quote name='javeryh']I can't believe the wasted money on display in this thread. What is the point of owning unopened discs? I can understand ONE that was bought but haven't had a chance to watch but any more than that is just silly, IMO.[/QUOTE]

Well if time is money then consider your post a waste of money...

[quote name='javeryh']I can't believe the wasted money on display in this thread. What is the point of owning unopened discs? I can understand ONE that was bought but haven't had a chance to watch but any more than that is just silly, IMO.[/QUOTE]
Then you dont want to see my game collection..................

Good god. Alot of you must either have great paying jobs or dont own large dvd collections to go with those hd dvd/bluray collections.

I still havent made the jump to hd/bluray. And dont plan to for as long as I can still buy dvds. I just dont find the jump as big of a difference as vhs to dvd. And Ive spent enough buying all my dvds. Would be pointless to buy them all over again on a different format.

[quote name='javeryh']I can't believe the wasted money on display in this thread. What is the point of owning unopened discs? I can understand ONE that was bought but haven't had a chance to watch but any more than that is just silly, IMO.[/quote]

Your post is just silly, IMO.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']Good god. Alot of you must either have great paying jobs or dont own large dvd collections to go with those hd dvd/bluray collections.

I still havent made the jump to hd/bluray. And dont plan to for as long as I can still buy dvds. I just dont find the jump as big of a difference as vhs to dvd. And Ive spent enough buying all my dvds. Would be pointless to buy them all over again on a different format.[/quote] Its' easy to say that, as I did at one point, but this year there have been so many sales on HD stuff, it's as cheap as dvd's. I'm not replacing much of my collection (so far the first four Potters, Blade Runner, and Pirates 1&2 have been double dips... so 7 of 22 (well 8 if you count that I double dipped Serenity on DVD when BB had it on sale)), but it's easier for me now to simply get everything (except for TV shows) on HD. I by no means have a good job, and my DVD's sent me into debt last year pretty bad. I actually welcome HD since it means I won't be buying as many crappy $5 DVD's, since I can just tell myself to wait for it on HD if I want it so badly.

Even counting the 5 HD discs I got for my birthday, my collection cost roughly $196; let's make it an even $200. I've averaged $9 on each BD and HD-DVD in my collection; not counting BDay presents, I've personally spent $100 on 17 movies, averaging $6 per HD movie. It's totally easy to buy in to HD if you hit the sales just right.

Of course, I consider Heroes, Ultimate Matrix, or King Kong as $0 since they were free with my $180 BB 360 HD Drive. Even if I divide $180 by the 5 total items (Planet Earth is the fifth item, but I ebayed it as my brother already bought it (before he knew he couldn't play it on a DVD player)), that rasies the cost per dvd to $8. Not bad at all.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']Good god. Alot of you must either have great paying jobs or dont own large dvd collections to go with those hd dvd/bluray collections.

I still havent made the jump to hd/bluray. And dont plan to for as long as I can still buy dvds. I just dont find the jump as big of a difference as vhs to dvd. And Ive spent enough buying all my dvds. Would be pointless to buy them all over again on a different format.[/quote]

To me some older movies are pretty much worthless in Blu/Ray HD DVD. My Oppo DVD player with upconversion will do. On the other hand some newer movies really benefit from going to HD. Now I only have about 20 HD movies (BLU/HD DVD) so I really haven't broke the bank and ALL of my movies have either been presents or BOGO or That TRU sale last week. Nothing full price most cheaper than cheir DVD counterpart. Also me a my girlfriend have a 5 month old so I don't get to the theature nearly as much as I used to (i.e. not at all). So I figure if I can get new releases for about 15 bucks through a BOGO in HD that is actually cheaper than going to the theature anyway.

I still havent made the jump to hd/bluray. And dont plan to for as long as I can still buy dvds. I just dont find the jump as big of a difference as vhs to dvd. And Ive spent enough buying all my dvds. Would be pointless to buy them all over again on a different format.[/quote]

I am not going to rebuy my DVD collection. There si only so much they can do with the video and sound of old movies. I will rebuy all my Pixar films on Blu ray asap. They look and sounds great so far. As long as my Blu ray player(s) keep playing DVDs, I don't see why anyone would buy older movies on Blu ray. The new movies I am totally buying on Blu ray pretty much exclusively. Or if they decide to put Mash out on Blu ray, like the complete series on a couple of discs, I might do that. Even though they would be SD, having less discs and taking up less space is nice.

[quote name='javeryh']I can't believe the wasted money on display in this thread. What is the point of owning unopened discs? I can understand ONE that was bought but haven't had a chance to watch but any more than that is just silly, IMO.[/quote]

You can't make comments like that without knowing someones situation. Some people have families while others are in school or work long hours. I have a couple hundred DVD's and a lot of them aren't opened yet. Between working two jobs, hanging out w/friends and my g/f I simply haven't had the time to watch them all.

The one thing I would question is how extensive some peoples collections are. Some people seem to just be buying blu-ray's and hd's to buy them. I can understand getting movies that would make the most out of being viewed in HD but why buy ones with horrible transfer quality? Also why buy ones right when they come out at full price? Not only at full price but you don't even know the quality of it yet. I personally wouldn't buy a Blu-ray that wasn't from a BOGO but hey that's just me. I've never paid more than $9.99 for a BD or $4.99 for a regular DVD.

Between work, school and my family, I have time to watch about one movie a week, sometimes two. I don't open the movie until I am ready to watch it.

And for the wasted money comment, it's my money, so I don't see why you are so concerned about. Worry about your money and I will worry about mine.

Well, as a CAG, you can easily spend more on gaming and movies than the average joe, but you're getting 5x or more the quantity of games/movies at the same time.

I had the first Pirates on DVD when it came out, but when DMC came out, I said I wasn't going to buy them until I had a HD setup. Just got my PS3 and TRU conviently has a BOGO so I get all 3 pirates + ratatouille for $50. Hell, that's just a little more than 1 BD goes for at FYE.

There's a few old movies I'll be rebuying on BD, though. Total Recall is a must own, IMO, along with a few others. I had a HD-WMV of Total Recall and it plays on my 360, and looked great....but didn't have an english audio track :(

No judgements against any of you all here but what a waste of money. Take it from a 1500 plus DVD collection. I learned my lesson the hard way. By the time you build your collection a new format comes along, and the way technology advances faster bluray will be in the same place dvd are in in 3 to 4 years. Now I have a 5 at a time rental membership about the price of a few blurays a month but I can watch a bluray or two an evening and send it back. Netflix and Blockbuster are great about blurays. If I want to watch the same movie again I just rent it and pay my 30 a month. Take it from my hard lesson. Ive got a bunch of dvd's I dont watch and would much rather take advantage of my 1080p Panny plasma with bluray. So I have seen almost every bluray available and have only bought about 10-those are disney ones that my 5 year old will watch 100 times each a year! I would rather spend my money on a new game or on my family rather than a movie I may only watch a few times a year. Plus try selling a dvd on ebay or craigslist you will get like one buck a movie maybe. Just some advice. Movies have a low replay value and they lose their value quickly.

I spend money on stupid shit just as much as the next person but I just can't understand owning unopened media. These things will drop in price over time - it's a fact. Buying now without watching them is a complete waste of money when you could buy later for less. Just because something is a "good deal" now doesn't mean you have to buy it.

i don't really see what the big deal is spending a couple of hundred a month on movies

personally i spend about $200-$300 a month on hd dvd/blu ray

if i go out for 2 nights i end up spending that much anyway

it keeps me in the house instead of doing stupid things like going out and drinking or spending $50 to get into a club and listen to some crappy music

i've tried renting places like blockbuster online/netflix, but they hardly get me the movies i want when i want them. most of the new releases are long wait or they just send other stuff from my query.

i'm also lucky to have a lot of disposable income, i just pay utilities and property tax on my house and rest goes to entertainment/investments, but even if i didn't I still think i'd buy a lot of movies instead of rent

now if there was an ondemand service with 1080p video and truehd or lossless audio for $3-$4 per movie, then i might stop buying and use that instead, but i don't see that happening anytime soon

[quote name='javeryh']I spend money on stupid shit just as much as the next person but I just can't understand owning unopened media. These things will drop in price over time - it's a fact. Buying now without watching them is a complete waste of money when you could buy later for less. Just because something is a "good deal" now doesn't mean you have to buy it.[/QUOTE]

It's not your money being wasted, why do you care?

[quote name='javeryh']I spend money on stupid shit just as much as the next person but I just can't understand owning unopened media. These things will drop in price over time - it's a fact. Buying now without watching them is a complete waste of money when you could buy later for less. Just because something is a "good deal" now doesn't mean you have to buy it.[/quote]

Why do you either of you (wiilikeit too) care so much as to what other people spend their money on? Like the poster above me said, there are plenty of people who go out every weekend and drop $100-200 on an evening out. That's probably more than most of these guys spend each week on their collections.

And they're called collections because some people like to COLLECT them, just like others collect trading cards, action figures, sports memorobilia, etc. Many things people collect aren't really about their potential resale value, but about having a nice collection of whtever it is they're collecting and maybe even bragging about it once in awhile. If it's not your cup of tea, great, but no need to troll and crap on their thread. Or are you just jealous because a few people have more disposable income than you (or their parents do I should say in a few cases)?

I personally have quite a few unopened movies on BD, HD DVD and DVD because I buy them when I get good deals on them, even though I may not have time to watch them right away. I never know what kind of mood I'll be in some weekend night and like to have a nice selection to choose from. The same goes for my videogames.

[quote name='atane']It's not your money being wasted, why do you care?[/quote]

I don't care - I just don't understand the mentality that's all. I shouldn't have crapped on the thread to begin with - there are a lot of impressive collections on display here.

[quote name='javeryh']I don't care - I just don't understand the mentality that's all. I shouldn't have crapped on the thread to begin with - there are a lot of impressive collections on display here.[/quote]

Actually I don't think you're really crapping... I understand the question perfectly believe me you have kids and you start analyzing your dollars real quick!!! I personally get movies that I really like to watch more than once or twice a year or absolute classics.And on top of that alot of these movies give me a better experience at home than at the theatre.... I only own like 20 blu ray/hd dvd and i actually don't see the must have list growing.... Also when you miss as many movies as I do being not able to get out and with ticket prices the way they are if I can get a disc for 15.00 for the family well it actually makes sense for me.

does anyone know if their hd Transformers work on the 360 hd add on? i remember people complaining about something about it but i didnt care until i just got the add on for cheap.

as far as collections

i got bourne ultimatum hd, Heroes hd...the 5 free ones i forget thats coming in mail (all gonna be half.commed)

for bluray, i have live free die hard..5 free ones also gonna get half.commed

[quote name='javeryh'] I spend money on stupid shit just as much as the next person but I just can't understand owning unopened media. These things will drop in price over time - it's a fact. Buying now without watching them is a complete waste of money when you could buy later for less. Just because something is a "good deal" now doesn't mean you have to buy it.[/quote] Just wanted to point out that although movies will drop in price, in my experience, there is a certain threshold to which they won't go below (except in rare glitch/deal cases). I expect most average DVD's to be $5 before I buy them, and $10 if they are something really special. But DVD has been around for about 10 years. When I saw HD stuff hitting $10 (mostly with BOGO's) after 2 years, I knew to jump in; to me HD qualifies as "really special". And my movies have averaged about $6-$8. I don't feel ripped off on these at all, and wouldn't expect them to be any less any time soon.

And, just because my media is unopened doesn't mean it wasn't probably the best deal there would ever be on said media.

[quote name='Wiilikeit']No judgements against any of you all here but what a waste of money. Take it from a 1500 plus DVD collection. I learned my lesson the hard way. By the time you build your collection a new format comes along, and the way technology advances faster bluray will be in the same place dvd are in in 3 to 4 years.[/quote]
I can't say I have even a third of what you have (I've got about 300 DVD's), but I don't see it as bad as all that. VHS's lifespan was 1976-1996 (when DVD was introduced) and DVD didn't overtake VHS sales until 2003. So VHS enjoyed a 20 year life before a new format came about, and was dominate for 27 years. One could argue that Laserdisc saw demise when it was probably the better format, but I believe new HD media to be different in that:
-Players will play DVD's as well as new HD Media - an upgrade instead of a total overhaul
-DVD's and CD's have become accepted and widely used - Laserdiscs were HUGE and cumbersome, and at the time, not really like anything else. New tech is hard for masses to adopt, and vhs probably seemed simpler and cheaper.

But now were looking at DVD fading into HD, ten years after coming into the world and only five years after gaining dominance. But, the important thing to consider here is, the jump in quality and format isn't that big. It's not an overhaul but an upgrade. We may see a new format in the next 10 years, maybe less, but I can't imagine it being that much better - most likely just a change in distribution (ie internet). And I believe that will most likely be more crippling to media than anything (DRM problems, anyone?).

Another thing to point out is that for me, I really like collecting; always have, always will, from pogs to cards to DVD's. Netflix/Blockbuster won't cut it for me.

[quote name='brightside']does anyone know if their hd Transformers work on the 360 hd add on? i remember people complaining about something about it but i didnt care until i just got the add on for cheap.

[/quote]

Worked fine on mine.

[quote name='Kfoster1979']Worked fine on mine.[/quote]Also works well on mine, although I am using the add-on with my computer and AnyDVD running in the background (it incorrectly told me my monitor is not connected properly - damn powerdvd).

As far as the Add-on having problems with movies, If your movie won't play, Delete the cache or just let the disc load for a while so it can cache. Sometimes when I get a new movie, the web-enabled features need to load onto the drive and it seems to take forever. After the first time, discs load super quick.

[quote name='rsigley']i don't really see what the big deal is spending a couple of hundred a month on movies

personally i spend about $200-$300 a month on hd dvd/blu ray

if i go out for 2 nights i end up spending that much anyway

it keeps me in the house instead of doing stupid things like going out and drinking or spending $50 to get into a club and listen to some crappy music

i've tried renting places like blockbuster online/netflix, but they hardly get me the movies i want when i want them. most of the new releases are long wait or they just send other stuff from my query.

i'm also lucky to have a lot of disposable income, i just pay utilities and property tax on my house and rest goes to entertainment/investments, but even if i didn't I still think i'd buy a lot of movies instead of rent

now if there was an ondemand service with 1080p video and truehd or lossless audio for $3-$4 per movie, then i might stop buying and use that instead, but i don't see that happening anytime soon[/QUOTE]

Yah, I'm the same way. I have alot of friends that like to go drinking alot or to clubs(I hate clubs btw), and I honestly would also rather spend my money on dvds and video games.

these photos make me itch to get some imports. I want band of brothers in a bad way, but I don't want to own it. I just want to watch it, in HD (never seen it). Looks like my only option for that is torrents... :cry:

[quote name='themiz69']http://www.petitiononline.com/SAVEHDD/petition.html

here we have a petition for those of us who do support the hd-dvd format...simple, either sign it or don't. it will be submitted to the major corps that are involved in the format war.

this was not posted to stir up any bickering but to enlighten those who didn't know this existed.[/quote]

This won't do anything. Also, I can't think of a single reason why one hi-def format is a bad idea. At this point I'm hoping Blu-Ray crushes HD-DVD out of existence as soon as possible so everyone can move on from DVDs (and I own an HD-DVD player and not a Blu-Ray one). Early adopters knew this was coming eventually.

[quote name='javeryh']This won't do anything. Also, I can't think of a single reason why one hi-def format is a bad idea. At this point I'm hoping Blu-Ray crushes HD-DVD out of existence as soon as possible so everyone can move on from DVDs (and I own an HD-DVD player and not a Blu-Ray one). Early adopters knew this was coming eventually.[/QUOTE]

WHAT.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165464&highlight=BOGO
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164059&highlight=BOGO
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163579&highlight=BOGO
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163262&highlight=BOGO
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162273&highlight=BOGO
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159513&highlight=BOGO
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159097&highlight=BOGO

But yeah, a petition won't do anything. I think Toshiba cares a hell of a lot more about it's enormous monetary investment in the format than consumer desire, and even that motivation won't do anything. They lost; you may as well start a petition that asks your favorite NFL team to win a game.

[quote name='CokeCola']WHAT.

But yeah, a petition won't do anything. I think Toshiba cares a hell of a lot more about it's enormous monetary investment in the format than consumer desire, and even that motivation won't do anything. They lost; you may as well start a petition that asks your favorite NFL team to win a game.[/quote]

Those bogo sales bring the prices down to what, 12-15$ each? That would probably be the standard price if this format war would end so that people could start buying with confidence.

[quote name='CokeCola']WHAT.

But yeah, a petition won't do anything. I think Toshiba cares a hell of a lot more about it's enormous monetary investment in the format than consumer desire, and even that motivation won't do anything. They lost; you may as well start a petition that asks your favorite NFL team to win a game.[/quote]

I'm not sure I understand - are you saying better deals right now on HD-DVD is the reason we should have two competing hi-def formats? I guarantee if HD-DVD (or Blu-Ray as doubtful as it is) goes away forever it will lead to more people jumping into the hi-def movie format which in turn will lead to much lower prices on everything.

Really there are more than a few threads you can bitch at each other in. If you are in this thread then stop bitching and post some pics.

Here's an updated photo of mine. I ended up taking 4 different photos (of each shelf) to cut down on glare.

They aren't table breaking so I'm not going to spoiler them.

82 HD-DVDs :bouncy:

hd12ju6.jpg

hd2wh5.jpg

hd3np4.jpg

hd4ao1.jpg

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']:D Checkout my sweetest collection! :D

*giant images*[/QUOTE]

Holy shit.

Download The GiMP and crop those images or put them under a spoiler tag.

Doubles of your pics aren't really needed. It's not like the extra angle gives us a better look.

And High School Musical DVD? WTF?

I like how stranglehold is with the crop of BD's...

and holy shyte Sporadic. No shortage of available entertainment, I take it. I guess the same goes for pinoy. Nice pics, all.

Holy cow some of these are big. i just traded in close to 50 of my DVD's and have another 100 regular DVD's sitting downstairs. I am getting a small collection of purple built up. Have 16 more on the way!

[quote name='velvet396']I like how stranglehold is with the crop of BD's...

and holy shyte Sporadic. No shortage of available entertainment, I take it. I guess the same goes for pinoy. Nice pics, all.[/QUOTE]

Well, Stranglehold has HardBoiled movie inside.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Doubles of your pics aren't really needed. It's not like the extra angle gives us a better look.

And High School Musical DVD? WTF?[/QUOTE]

My mom bought those for my 6 years old neice and I decided to fill in the space. I might post 3 images if you want. Just tell me which ones need to remove. I like 1, 2, 3 & 5 (top to bottom).

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Here's mine:
hddvdsef1.jpg

Missing from that pic are Harry Potter Giftset and Crank (German Import)[/quote]

All boxed up and ready to sell? ;)

[quote name='Pookymeister']All boxed up and ready to sell? ;)[/QUOTE]
I think he's gonna return it to Best Buy to exchange for Blu Version! Welcome to Blu House my friend!

I will post pictures of my HD/BD collecting when I pick up the 30 some titles in my reserve pile at MovieStop.

-joseph

[quote name='Pookymeister']All boxed up and ready to sell? ;)[/quote]

Yeah right...

I have twice as much DVD's and I ran out of room, so I currently have them in a box.

[quote name='starmask2k3']how do u put pictures on here[/quote]

Host it somewhere, get the link and put it in the [IMG*][/IMG*] tags (remove asterisks) and put the spoiler tags ([S*] and [/S*], remove asterisks again) around the picture.

bread's done
Back