Post-Target LOTR screw up: Target cancels orders

Game_Dude_3

CAGiversary!
I just got an e-mail from Target saying that they cancelled my LOTR BR trilogy order for 7.99 because they were 'out of stock'. They cite their store ad that says they only had limited qualities, although I don't understand how that applies to the web site.

I'm getting some feedback from others reporting the same. What bugs me is that the web site will say when an item is out of stock, and I purchased the set before it was out. I strongly believe this is BS and was wondering if any one else got an e-mail and how we can go about still getting this deal.

[quote name='icedrake523']I sent an annoyed email and got a "Sorry, check the store."[/QUOTE]

if true, completely unprofessional

I get that people are upset about not getting their order but its not the end of the world. Good deal that was probably a mistake anyways so if you got it in store good for you if not, you aint dead so you can always rebuy it somewhere else......

remember there are people out there that dont have shoes let alone blu ray players, not trying to be that buy but it aint that big of a deal

[quote name='shrike4242']Everyone does know that Target.com CS = Amazon.com CS, right?

It's the same group of people handling both online CS setups.[/QUOTE]

That's what cracks me up about some of these people posting here.

When I got to the store, I found out it was $8 for each movie on the shelf. Still a deal, so I still bought them. But then I found something fishy last night. All 3 movies were shrink wrapped and had a stickered barcode on them. Hmmmm, were these actually part of a box set & taken out to be sold individually? Yes. Here’s why? The back of each case states a Disc 1 & Disc 2, when in fact there is only 1 freakin’ disc in each case. So not only did Target try to keep the mess up under wraps, they just robbed customers of their money. I went back to the store & complained and was given a cold shoulder. So I'm definitely pissed off.

[quote name='HelsinkiValo']When I got to the store, I found out it was $8 for each movie on the shelf. Still a deal, so I still bought them. But then I found something fishy last night. All 3 movies were shrink wrapped and had a stickered barcode on them. Hmmmm, were these actually part of a box set & taken out to be sold individually? Yes. Here’s why? The back of each case states a Disc 1 & Disc 2, when in fact there is only 1 freakin’ disc in each case. So not only did Target try to keep the mess up under wraps, they just robbed customers of their money. I went back to the store & complained and was given a cold shoulder. So I'm definitely pissed off.[/QUOTE]

I got the set and all the movies come in one big case... not 3 different ones. So not sure what's going on there.

[quote name='shrike4242']Everyone does know that Target.com CS = Amazon.com CS, right?

And? Completely separate policies.

[quote name='HelsinkiValo']When I got to the store, I found out it was $8 for each movie on the shelf. Still a deal, so I still bought them. But then I found something fishy last night. All 3 movies were shrink wrapped and had a stickered barcode on them. Hmmmm, were these actually part of a box set & taken out to be sold individually? Yes. Here’s why? The back of each case states a Disc 1 & Disc 2, when in fact there is only 1 freakin’ disc in each case. So not only did Target try to keep the mess up under wraps, they just robbed customers of their money. I went back to the store & complained and was given a cold shoulder. So I'm definitely pissed off.[/QUOTE]

These conspiracy theories get worse and worse. Honestly what has me chuckling about this story is that the CS rep must have thought you were batshit crazy ranting about them taking the time to gut at best 3 copies of LOTR, print out new artwork and put them in new cases just to screw over people.

[quote name='Jodou']And? Completely separate policies.[/QUOTE]You get the same recycled answers from the CS reps.

Read over some of the emails posted in this thread and don't tell me you haven't seem the same email text coming from an Amazon.com CS rep.

Regardless if it's Target or Amazon, it's still the same bunch of people manning the computers to put out the emails.

[quote name='coolsteel']These conspiracy theories get worse and worse. Honestly what has me chuckling about this story is that the CS rep must have thought you were batshit crazy ranting about them taking the time to gut at best 3 copies of LOTR, print out new artwork and put them in new cases just to screw over people.[/QUOTE]

I actually didn't rant. I was very nice about it, and although pissed because it is in fact illegal to sale pieces of a box set individually (no new artwork, same as one used in box set, hence no second disc as noted) I'm just whatever now, accepting my fate.

[quote name='Jodou']And? Completely separate policies.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... I would have never made the connection because it seems these Target responses are way less helpful than what you usually get from Amazon. Amazon reps seem pretty quick to give out credit for things like this. That doesn't seem to be happening at all now.

I sent off my email yesterday - no response yet... I'm not expecting anything but the cut-n-paste job but I figured I'd throw mine in just in case things changed.

Coincidentally, my 3 seperate movies just arrived from Amazon yesterday (late shipping from UPS - they were supposed to arrive last Wednesday). So at least I have something to show for all this (though at $24 for the set instead of $8).

[quote name='chuckywang']How can you tell if they are 6 disc or 9 disc just by looking at it?[/QUOTE]

The 9 disc has 3 individual blu-ray cases, and is twice as thick, about an inch and a half thick. The 6 disc has a single wide blu-ray case, and is under an inch thick.

They never intended to ship these out, they probably wanted to get as many people as possible who were only interested in this deal to stay home and "order" online so they wouldn't have to honor the price. Nice move.

Damn that sucks. Did anyone that ordered online didn't get that canceled email? Luckily we bought it two days before BF and got it adjusted on BF. $7.99 for the trilogy with 6 discs and digital copies was too hard to pass up.

[quote name='karkyco']The 9 disc has 3 individual blu-ray cases, and is twice as thick, about an inch and a half thick. The 6 disc has a single wide blu-ray case, and is under an inch thick.[/QUOTE]Actually the 9 discs are in only two blu ray cases. 3 blu rays (the movies) and 3 dvds (special features) in one case, and 3 digital copy discs in another case. Both blu ray cases are in a hard cover case. Here I have a crappy phone picture. It's the one we price adjusted.

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/1087/1130101551.jpg

[quote name='doodofdoods']They never intended to ship these out, they probably wanted to get as many people as possible who were only interested in this deal to stay home and "order" online so they wouldn't have to honor the price. Nice move.[/QUOTE]

It's not like the Target B&M stores didn't sell out of them. Every store near me sold out of them, at least according to the on-line stock checker thing that I used before and after the sale. (Not like I'm gonna run over to Target and stand in line for hours for chance at a pack of theatrical versions of some movies. :roll:)

Forgot to mention that all the first person offered was to inform me when it was back in stock... Not to match the sale price when it does come back into stock...

And the supervisor passed me off to Guest Relations without speaking to me... They only log complaints... So I filed a complaint against the supervisor for passing me off... now back to step 1...

Transferred back to the first place... The first thing I did was ask for a name. They said they couldn't hear me and my phone was breaking up... I said "Put me on hold and pick up again and see if that helps." They heard that sentence perfectly without question and said ok and did it. When they picked back up half a minute later I talked and they said they couldn't hear me no matter what I said... I asked them to "transfer me to another worker" but they didn't acknowledge me. and eventually hung up. All the while I heard them perfectly.

I'll be calling back again... Not sure I'll be able to tonight but I will.

[quote name='denvilcahill']Forgot to mention that all the first person offered was to inform me when it was back in stock... Not to match the sale price when it does come back into stock...

And the supervisor passed me off to Guest Relations without speaking to me... They only log complaints... So I filed a complaint against the supervisor for passing me off... now back to step 1...[/QUOTE]
Id like to see where this goes....plz do inform us what happens :bouncy::bomb:

Still no response from my lengthy angry email sent out

so people knew it was a price mistake ... ordered them anyways and now are pissed off cause their orders are being cancelled LOL

nothing will be done cause they do NOT have to honor price mistakes

[quote name='slidecage']so people knew it was a price mistake ... ordered them anyways and now are pissed off cause their orders are being cancelled LOL

nothing will be done cause they do NOT have to honor price mistakes[/QUOTE]

if it was a mistake they wouldn't have posted it online...The fact that they posted it online means that they wanted to honor the ad misprint.

[quote name='slidecage']so people knew it was a price mistake ... ordered them anyways and now are pissed off cause their orders are being cancelled LOL

It was a price mistake but Target chose to honor it. When they saw how much they were selling, they bailed on the online orders. They should have either made it in-store only or have it automatically go OOS 5 min after the price was put online.

The Target I hit said they only had 3 of the Trilogy sets and that they stuck them in the back so they didnt have to honor it.

Heard back from their customer service, they only gave me a $5 gift card. Oh well, it was an impulse buy anyways since I was never really into LOTR, but am a sucker for box sets.

[quote name='ScorpioKyle']Heard back from their customer service, they only gave me a $5 gift card. Oh well, it was an impulse buy anyways since I was never really into LOTR, but am a sucker for box sets.[/QUOTE]

You tried to buy something for 7.99, it was canceled, and you got paid $5 out of it. But no no, it was "only" $5. :roll:

As I said before, the level of entitlement some of you people feel you deserve is pretty pitiful.

[quote name='ssjmichael']You tried to buy something for 7.99, it was canceled, and you got paid $5 out of it. But no no, it was "only" $5. :roll:

As I said before, the level of entitlement some of you people feel you deserve is pretty pitiful.[/QUOTE]It's always amusing to me to read your butthurt comments. Tell me, do you work for Target?

[quote name='MrOlympiaSC']It's always amusing to me to read your butthurt comments. Tell me, do you work for Target?[/QUOTE]

Butthurt? Let me guess, you heard one of the kids say that in the schoolyard today, but you don't know how to use it yet. Got it. Don't mind me though, feel free to go back to trying to squeeze a dollar or two out of Target's CS.

Oh btw, weren't you the person that said you weren't going to buy Blu-rays unless they came out when the DVD was released because they won't look good? What pray tell are you doing in this thread? The DVD was released well before the Blu was. Nothing like not sticking to your own statements huh? Good show :applause:

[quote name='ssjmichael']Butthurt? Let me guess, you heard one of the kids say that in the schoolyard today, but you don't know how to use it yet. Got it. Don't mind me though, feel free to go back to trying to squeeze a dollar or two out of Target's CS.

Oh btw, weren't you the person that said you weren't going to buy Blu-rays unless they came out when the DVD was released? What pray tell are you doing in this thread? The DVD was released well before the Blu was. Good show, good show :applause:[/QUOTE]LOL Geez man, I think you need to step away from the computer a bit and stop concerning yourself with what other people do with their money. Or, you can continue to post in this thread and cry more. My guess is that you'll choose the latter.

[quote name='MrOlympiaSC']LOL Geez man, I think you need to step away from the computer a bit and stop concerning yourself with what other people do with their money. Or, you can continue to post in this thread and cry more. My guess is that you'll choose the latter.[/QUOTE]

So did you or did you not say you wouldn't buy the Blu of a movie unless it was released at the same time as the DVD? You dodged the question the last time too before a mod had to clean it up and deleted a bunch of posts.

Please stop dodging it and clarify what you meant by that and why you possibly went against your own beliefs and bought this set. We're all anxiously waiting your expert knowledge on the subject.

[quote name='ssjmichael']So did you or did you not say you wouldn't buy the Blu of a movie unless it was released at the same time as the DVD? You dodged the question the last time too before a mod had to clean it up and deleted a bunch of posts.

Please stop dodging it and clarify what you meant by that and why you possibly went against your own beliefs and bought this set. We're all anxiously waiting your expert knowledge on the subject.[/QUOTE]I'm pretty sure I clarified what I said about ten million times in that thread. If you can't comprehend it by now, then what's one more time explaining myself? You're dumb.

You didn't clarify anything actually, you just made yourself look more and more stupid. It wasn't just me who felt that way as I'm sure you'll recall.

Bottom line: You said you wouldn't buy a Blu-ray of a movie unless it came out the same time as the DVD. Your words. No backtracking in the world can change that. You also implied that older movies somehow wouldn't look good on Blu-ray because of their age. Both statements are as stupid as they come. Do as much damage control as you want, throw some insults in too, you still said as much. Want to admit you were wrong?

It's too bad the mods deleted it, was pretty entertaining shit

[quote name='ssjmichael']You didn't clarify anything actually, you just made yourself look more and more stupid. It wasn't just me who felt that way as I'm sure you'll recall.

Bottom line: You said you wouldn't buy a Blu-ray of a movie unless it came out the same time as the DVD. Your words. No backtracking in the world can change that. You also implied that older movies somehow wouldn't look good on Blu-ray because of their age. Both statements are as stupid as they come.[/QUOTE]Actually, no, but could you whine more about what other people do with their money? That seems to be what you do with most of your time.

[quote name='doodofdoods']They never intended to ship these out, they probably wanted to get as many people as possible who were only interested in this deal to stay home and "order" online so they wouldn't have to honor the price. Nice move.[/QUOTE]

Also a great opportunity for Target to harvest email addresses, credit card information and the like. I'll bet everyone is now on Target's email blast.

I didn't expect to get or not get the discs from Target - but their handling of the situation leaves much to be desired. TRU at least gives out a $10 credit when they screw up, and it's practically automatic with them. Target and Best Buy have quite a lot to learn still.

[quote name='icedrake523']It was a price mistake but Target chose to honor it. When they saw how much they were selling, they bailed on the online orders. They should have either made it in-store only or have it automatically go OOS 5 min after the price was put online.[/QUOTE]

I got 2 out of 3 copies at my local store. Those were very limited quantities. They probably sent some out from the warehouse to folks that ordered online as well but I'm guessing more were ordered than they had in stock, what with some SD'ers buying 10 or even 100 at a time.

Yes, I totally agree that Target knew the mistake on printing and they totally didn't want to sell this as much as possible. At least online, the can cancel without you being "physically" there to raise hell.

Wait, how will the people really know that it was a price mistake? Are you assuming? What if, and that's a huge "IF", Target really wanted to get rid of their inventory? Also, there is this thing called "false advertisement" that is not allowed in the business world. You can really slap that on them. Sure, they do NOT have to honor the price mistakes but like I said, how would a consumer really know it's a price mistake?

[quote name='Krazycisco']Yes, I totally agree that Target knew the mistake on printing and they totally didn't want to sell this as much as possible. At least online, the can cancel without you being "physically" there to raise hell.

Wait, how will the people really know that it was a price mistake? Are you assuming? What if, and that's a huge "IF", Target really wanted to get rid of their inventory? Also, there is this thing called "false advertisement" that is not allowed in the business world. You can really slap that on them. Sure, they do NOT have to honor the price mistakes but like I said, how would a consumer really know it's a price mistake?[/QUOTE]

How did people know? Well, they've been talking about it for WEEKS? Did you look at the ad?

[quote name='typical guy']How did people know? Well, they've been talking about it for WEEKS? Did you look at the ad?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I've looked at the ad and yes, I've read the message boards all across the net. Now, how would you know that there's not one person out there who didn't look at the ad, didn't look or read any message boards and just saw it online or saw the ad the day of the sale?

So just checked to see if it was back in stock yet, and now it says "stores only" so looks like they are trying to get out of giving it for the $8 that they said they would to people that contacted them. This is ridiculous.

This may shed some light on the situation...

http://news.cnet.com/Customers,-Buy...lawsuit/2100-1017_3-247071.html#ixzz16sVWSJDb

"Online store Buy.com has agreed to pay $575,000 to settle one of the first court disputes over a mistakenly priced item in a Web store.

The payment is part of a tentative agreement the Costa Mesa, Calif.-based company reached earlier this year with attorneys for a group of customers who attempted to buy a mistakenly priced monitor last year. Class-action attorneys began notifying customers of the settlement in recent weeks in the wake of a provisional approval of the agreement by the Superior Court of Orange County, California..."

Looks like Buy.com is cutting their losses, so it's not out of the realm of possibility for Target.com to do the same. Guess it depends how much of a stink is made, but considering it's a simple box set, I doubt they'll be any legal repercussions...

[quote name='Wheels03']This may shed some light on the situation...

http://news.cnet.com/Customers,-Buy...lawsuit/2100-1017_3-247071.html#ixzz16sVWSJDb

"Online store Buy.com has agreed to pay $575,000 to settle one of the first court disputes over a mistakenly priced item in a Web store.

The payment is part of a tentative agreement the Costa Mesa, Calif.-based company reached earlier this year with attorneys for a group of customers who attempted to buy a mistakenly priced monitor last year. Class-action attorneys began notifying customers of the settlement in recent weeks in the wake of a provisional approval of the agreement by the Superior Court of Orange County, California..."

Looks like Buy.com is cutting their losses, so it's not out of the realm of possibility for Target.com to do the same. Guess it depends how much of a stink is made, but considering it's a simple box set, I doubt they'll be any legal repercussions...[/QUOTE]

I don't get it. Wouldn't a price mistake policy have protected them from such a frivolous lawsuit? Did Buy.com not have one? What some people will go through to try and rape a company that made a mistake. Sad.

edit: I see it was simply cheaper for buy to hand out the money. The court would have sided with Buy though. No way this will escalate to that, and if it does, Target probably won't settle.

Well i just got the dreaded email about allowing the delay for my Psych Season 4 that I ordered from Target.com. Now they will probably cancel it as well!

[quote name='Wheels03']Looks like Buy.com is cutting their losses, so it's not out of the realm of possibility for Target.com to do the same. Guess it depends how much of a stink is made, but considering it's a simple box set, I doubt they'll be any legal repercussions...[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but in this case it was a known and published issue prior to Black Friday. Target went live with it ANYWAYS and then lied about stock. That can't be passed off as a price mistake, no matter how you shape it. This is just a clear-cut case of incompetence and I would hope Target does take a hit over this.

[quote name='bigant262']So just checked to see if it was back in stock yet, and now it says "stores only" so looks like they are trying to get out of giving it for the $8 that they said they would to people that contacted them. This is ridiculous.[/QUOTE]I think if they had done this in the beginning, they wouldn't have had the issues they did or the backlash that is growing over it.

The main issue for that is every other of their items in their ad flier was available online, at least for movies and games. That shot them in the foot a bit over this mess.

bread's done
Back