[Pre-order] Tim Burton Collection [Blu-ray] - 7 Films + Book - $42 shipped at Amazon

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Amazon has an exclusive Tim Burton Collection set on Blu-ray featuring 7 of Burton's movies from WB, as well as a hardcover book. The set has an MSRP of $59.99, but they're selling it for $41.99. That works out to less than $6 a movie, plus you get the book. You can pre-order now, but there doesn't appear to be a firm release date yet.

LINK (Release date is now set at May 1st)

15pms5s.jpg

Includes:

• Pee Wee’s Big Adventure
  • Beetlejuice
  • Batman
  • Batman Returns
  • Mars Attacks!
  • Corpse Bride
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Source: Blu-ray.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I already have 3 of the movies on Blu-Ray (Beetlejuice, Mars Attacks, and Corpse Bride) but this is a pretty great price for a pretty great group of movies!

[quote name='Aganar']No Ed Wood and no Edward Scissorhands, but they felt it was important to include Mars Attacks, eh?[/QUOTE]

This is a WB release, so only movies made from them are included. Ed Wood is made by Touchstone/Walt Disney Pictures, and Edward Scissorhands by Fox.

Epic fail... No nightmare before Christmas or Alice in Wonderland? I understand that it is a WB release, but if you doing a boxset of a director's work, it should be their best, no matter who released it. TB should have just done his own. If he could...

[quote name='Mr Dude65']Epic fail... No nightmare before Christmas or Alice in Wonderland? I understand that it is a WB release, but if you doing a boxset of a director's work, it should be their best, no matter who released it. TB should have just done his own. If he could...[/QUOTE]

The logistics behind a multi-studio box set would be a nightmare. Getting the rights, working out the costs to revenue/profit details. Who should get top billing, etc etc. This set isn't his complete works, but it doesn't say that, it just says it's a TB Collection, of which it is.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']The logistics behind a multi-studio box set would be a nightmare. Getting the rights, working out the costs to revenue/profit details. Who should get top billing, etc etc. This set isn't his complete works, but it doesn't say that, it just says it's a TB Collection, of which it is.[/QUOTE]

Especially with the ones mentioned being from Disney. Yeah good luck trying to getting them to share a box set and revenue with WB. This same thing has happened plenty of times with other directors and actors. There are multiple movie collections for the works of Scorsese, Hitchcock, John Ford etc..

[quote name='Saix_XIII']The logistics behind a multi-studio box set would be a nightmare. Getting the rights, working out the costs to revenue/profit details. Who should get top billing, etc etc. This set isn't his complete works, but it doesn't say that, it just says it's a TB Collection, of which it is.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ssjmichael']Especially with the ones mentioned being from Disney. Yeah good luck trying to getting them to share a box set and revenue with WB. This same thing has happened plenty of times with other directors and actors. There are multiple movie collections for the works of Scorsese, Hitchcock, John Ford etc..[/QUOTE]

I understand what both of you are saying, it's just that from what's listed, this really isn't a great collection of his work. I guess I'd much rather see a disney one than WB. Oh well... If it ever gets sub $20, I'll bite, but otherwise, he's got better work out there...

[quote name='Aganar']No Ed Wood and no Edward Scissorhands, but they felt it was important to include Mars Attacks, eh?[/QUOTE]
Batman Returns is clearly the low point of this collection. Mars Attacks is great, any movie where Tom Jones helps to save the world is awesome in my book.
And thanks OP, I am definitely in for this as somehow I have none of these movies in my blu-ray collection.

[quote name='Mr Dude65']Epic fail... No nightmare before Christmas or Alice in Wonderland? I understand that it is a WB release, but if you doing a boxset of a director's work, it should be their best, no matter who released it. TB should have just done his own. If he could...[/QUOTE]

He didn't direct Nightmare Before Christmas so it would be weird being in a Tim Burton collection. It was directed by Henry Selick who also directed James and the Giant Peach and Coraline.

[quote name='gothamcentral79']He didn't direct Nightmare Before Christmas so it would be weird being in a Tim Burton collection. It was directed by Henry Selick who also directed James and the Giant Peach and Coraline.[/QUOTE]

But it's his story. That's what I meant.

i preordered and can cancel if i change mind. dont have any of them on bluray yet. thanks for the heads up

[quote name='GreyFox787']Vomit. If ever there was an overrated hack of a director, it's Burton.[/QUOTE]

This comment alone will stop the world from buying this set..... not.

If I had it my way, I probably would've picked Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood, Mars Attacks!, Corpse Bride, and Sweeney Todd. I know not all are WB, but, those are his best in the director's chair IMO. There is absolutely no need for the Batman's with a Batman Blu-Ray collection already out, just sayin!

Thanks OP. Pre-ordered with the idea of cancelling if I change my mind. Only have two of these on blu and this is a pretty nice looking set.

[quote name='Double O Slevin']If I had it my way, I probably would've picked Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood, Mars Attacks!, Corpse Bride, and Sweeney Todd. I know not all are WB, but, those are his best in the director's chair IMO. There is absolutely no need for the Batman's with a Batman Blu-Ray collection already out, just sayin![/QUOTE]

Yeah the inclusion of the Batman movies seems odd, but they are pretty great movies in my opinion. I already bought the first one twice, once with the Batman Anthology set, and individually with the 20th anniversary digibook, so this would be a triple-dip if I bought this lol. I also just bought Beetlejuice earlier today before this was posted go figure. I'm guessing they just threw in the batman movies to fill out the set a little more, though they could have done a 5-film, which amazon could price around $30 (going by the $6 per movie price here).

Like others here, I only have one of these on blu right now. I'm a big Burton fan, so I'm definitely in for this price - thanks OP!

Hmmm, this sounds cool but I'm so turned off by the inclusion of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory that I may have to pass ... did not like that movie ... very weird and not in a good Tim Burton way. The only thing that would make this worse would be including Alice in Wonderland, which is one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Echoing others, regardless of studio, Edward Scissorhands or heck, even the Planet of the Apes movie would have been an upgrade for me from CatCF

[quote name='Cmosfm']Mars Attacks is amazing.[/QUOTE]

I love Mars Attacks because there just isn't a single likable character in the entire film. Literally every single person in the movie is a selfish jerk who deserves what's coming to them.

[quote name='spmahn']I love Mars Attacks because there just isn't a single likable character in the entire film. Literally every single person in the movie is a selfish jerk who deserves what's coming to them.[/QUOTE]

I disagree, the grandmother is the bomb! :D

I have Batman, Beetlejuice and Corpse Bride. So, I'm out. But, I actually like the odd mix of flicks!

Be sure and tell 'em Large Marge sent you.
(scared the Hell out me as a boy)

Perfect gift for my girl. She'll love it and I'll love Mars Attacks on blu. (Edit: Stupid autocorrect)

I'm going to hold out for the "Tim Burton wants to fuck Johnny Depp while Helena Bonham Carter watches" collection.

[quote name='etcrane']Hmmm, this sounds cool but I'm so turned off by the inclusion of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory that I may have to pass ... did not like that movie ... very weird and not in a good Tim Burton way. The only thing that would make this worse would be including Alice in Wonderland, which is one of the worst movies I've ever seen.
[/QUOTE]
This. It's bad enough when they got to go and be compared to the original Gene Wilder movie, but when all the songs are mixed terribly (and just nowhere as fun to listen to) and just lacks any charm. Plus Depp's Wonka was a bit too outlandish and forced for me to enjoy.

Definitely not interested since the set contains Batman, Batman Returns and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory... and I already have the Batman movies.

[quote name='GreyFox787']Vomit. If ever there was an overrated hack of a director, it's Burton.[/QUOTE]

TB is one of my least liked directors. I somewhat like ed wood though.

[quote name='bmachine']Sleepy Hollow was a Warner Bros movie, wasn't it? I wonder why it's not included.[/QUOTE]

It's from Paramount

The only negative about this set has to be Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, that movie was just putrid. I want to purchase this but I'm thinking of picking up Batman anthology set, hmm such a hard discussion....

[quote name='BargainGamer']The only negative about this set has to be Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, that movie was just putrid. I want to purchase this but I'm thinking of picking up Batman anthology set, hmm such a hard discussion....
[/QUOTE]
Doesn't seem like it to me, ha. You get the two great Batman movies, as well as a bunch of other solid ones.

bread's done
Back