Prince Of Persia - Gen. Discussion & Info

I haven't really read up on any of this since I wasn't too into the last ones but the inclusion of that female character makes it seem like there's potential for co-op play.

I work with a guy who keeps trying to convince me Warrior Within was the ONLY good Prince of Persia. I should clarify that I actually did like Warrior Within though. At first it was a slap in the face but I grew to love it. Still think Sands of Time was the best. Not just Prince of Persia, but among the best games ever.

warrior within had a good game inside of it.. it was just buried under needless and constant combat. I'm still working on it to be honest. I remember combat beign so much fun in SoT that I wanted a bit more and blah.. be careful what you wish for. [quote name='LinkinPrime']I haven't really read up on any of this since I wasn't too into the last ones but the inclusion of that female character makes it seem like there's potential for co-op play.[/quote]I hope not, platformers don't work well with co-op unless you take turns Mario style.
==
So now that I've seen the interviews on GameTrailers.com I'm half apprehensive about the direction they're taking this game.

New Prince
I don't mind this being a whole new prince. I agree the game is called "Prince of Persia" not "The Prince of Persia". Similar to the Legend of Zelda.
Girl Magic
The game this time seems to focus not on the prince himself so much but on the girl. Getting the girl to the target so she can use her magic. PoP is all about the levels so what happens at the end of the level doesn't bother me so much. Now if we're playing the girl that'd be different. The way she is described it doesn't look like she'll be a co-op choice, but this is just my impression. Which is colored by my preference for a solo prince game.
Chains acrobatics
Acrobatics you can chain sounds like Tony Hawk w/o the wheels. In my head it see it like the last level of Sands of Time where you had spots where you just jumped and ran non stop for almost half the section before you got a pause. So if it's like that I'm all for it.

No Sands of Time
This is a big no no for me. This is core Prince. I'm not sure I want to play a Prince of Persia where you can't turn back time. I could make a Mario game without a Super Mushroom that doesn't make it a good idea.
Platforms
PS3, PC, Xbox, DS - nothing surprising but I don't like it when the Wii gets skipped. Especially on a franchise I've grown to love dearly.
Enemy Fighting
Enemies that fight with my abilities? That sounds dangerously close to making the game focus too much on fighting and not enough on platforming. I think for PoP I'd rather have GoW over Soul Calibur (not that I have any idea what that even means?). In some games you want enemies that think like you that act like you. In other games you DO want enemies that are 80% fodder.

There hasn't been much information shown. Most of the interview video was the same trailer and concept art. My opinion on a lot of these could change if they're implemented differently from how I'm guessing.

fucking ridiculously beautiful new trailer released:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36270.html

I swear, if I didn't know better, they could tell me that they were developing the game in collaboration with the ICO team from Sony, and I wouldn't be surprised at all (which is of course impossible, so this is just a rhetorical statement).

This just shot up to a day 1 purchase for me. If this game is as good as the trailer makes it look, I will be totally prepared to completely forgive them for Warrior Within.

Extremely impressive and indeed mesmerizing to look at. Can't believe some people think this is a poor direction to take.

I've never played a PoP game before. I just downloaded the new trailer and it looked really cool. I was thinking of preordering it at Gamestop to get the free LE upgrade. Will I like this game? I don't know too much about the series.

Game looks really good, but I'll probably wait awhile before picking it up. I'm guessing it'll drop in price as fast as AC...

Anyone know if that upgrade to CE is available to Amazon? It's not listed on their page, and I can't find the upgrade to CE info on the main PoP site.

[quote name='javeryh']The first PoP on Gamecube was fantastic so if this one is as good I'll definitely be picking it up.[/QUOTE]that what I thought at first but this is looking a bit too different for my tastes. I'll wait it out and try not to fear change.

I don't think it is. I'm kinda interested in this game, but haven't played a PoP game, and I wouldn't know what console to get it for. I know it's leading on PS3, and the few PS3-led games I've bought for 360 have some issues (like screen-tearing).

But the story-introduction trailer looks awesome.

Gamestop changed their preorder deal. Now you get the upgrade but also a code to download a "Classic Prince" skin. But is this for preorders after the change or will those who preorder prior get it too?

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Gamestop changed their preorder deal. Now you get the upgrade but also a code to download a "Classic Prince" skin. But is this for preorders after the change or will those who preorder prior get it too?[/QUOTE]

Not specific info, but here's the confirmation to follow up your post!

Credit to IGN.com

"November 20, 2008 - The Prince of Persia is leaping onto PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 the first week of December with a brand new look. This is an all new Prince, different both in appearance and attitude from the Prince of Sands of Time fame. But what if the new Prince's look just doesn't do it for you? Fear not. Today, Ubisoft announced the inclusion of alternate skins for the Prince. You can play the entire adventure as Altair, star of Assassin's Creed or as the classic Prince of Persia from Sands of Time.

To gain access to the Altair skin, you'll need to register (for free) at Ubisoft.com. Once you have a copy of Prince of Persia, link your Ubi account to your Xbox 360 Gamertag or PSN screen name to access the Altair skin. You can switch skins from the main menu. This is Altair, but rendered in POP's slick art style.

Those who pre-order Prince of Persia from GameStop will get a code to access the Prince of Persia Classic skin. Pre-orders will also get a free upgrade to the Limited Edition game, which includes special packaging, a making-of video and the original soundtrack.

Ubisoft is mum as to what additional skins will be made available, but has confirmed that there will be additional skins for the Prince and Elika. Some might want to see a Sam Fisher skin, but we find it hard to imagine Ubisoft passing up the chance to let players experience Prince of Persia as a fighter jet from HAWX. "

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/932/932434p1.html

Link includes pics of Altair in game. Sounded like April Fools but it's confirmed on Ubisofts page. I just registered an account there but I don't see how to link them yet. It's not really anything special (seeing as how mixed the reactions were) but I liked Assassins Creed and the Prince from last gen. So this just gives me a little geek boy thrill.

Fancy that. Ubisoft GIVES AWAY extra skins instead of charging. Makes me glad I actually pre-ordered it for full price instead of waiting for a price drop. It's this kind of little extra for the fans that I think we could use more of in the industry.

[quote name='Corvin']That's pretty cool. So do you get the code at time of pre-order or at pick-up?[/QUOTE]

Not sure. I'm going to text a buddy who works at Gamestop and ask. I preordered mine a few months ago, so they hopefully will be shipping codes in.

Now I need to figure out how to link the ubisoft profile to my xbox account and get the Altiar code.

[quote name='KingBroly']I don't think I should have to pre-order at Gamestop to get a pre-order bonus. It should be universal.[/QUOTE]

Well, exclusive bonuses are nothing new. Gamestop just seems to get the most of them recently. But I've recalled special bonuses at places like Target before. It's especially prevalent with the new DVD releases and exclusive this or that. Which sucks, but it's part of the sales game and nothing new. Gamestop has to be paying out for these exclusives one would think.

What annoys me is how close to release this all gets announced. If I had my game pre-ordered elsewhere I'd be ticked.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']Not sure. I'm going to text a buddy who works at Gamestop and ask. I preordered mine a few months ago, so they hopefully will be shipping codes in.
[/QUOTE]

Cool. Keep us posted.

Checked the Gamestop website. Here's the info for the Classic SoT Prince

"BONUS OFFER

Reserve Prince of Persia and receive the GameStop Exclusive Classic Prince Character. Available for online and in-store customers only while supplies last.

Online and Store Customers: Instructions to unlock the exclusive Classic Prince Character will be packaged inside the game."

Inside the game? WTF?

I'm going to email Ubisoft about the Altair skin and find out how to link the Ubi account to gamertag to get that skin.

I assume it will be like Guitar Hero. Just create an account on their site and there will be a code in the game menu to link the game to the site for content.

9.3 from IGN.

Even though the score isn't an average, it's weird how a high score of 9.0 and low of 8.5 can come out to a 9.3. Increasing the weight on any of those categories still never gets you to a 9.3 XD

Not sure if I'll get this game though...kind of lost interest. Since the story is only 10 hours...I don't know how much I feel like fetching 1001 items. Assassins creed was awful, and the image of the prince on the one ledge there looks far too much like that pathetic game.

[quote name='Spades22']9.3 from IGN.

Even though the score isn't an average, it's weird how a high score of 9.0 and low of 8.5 can come out to a 9.3. Increasing the weight on any of those categories still never gets you to a 9.3 XD

Not sure if I'll get this game though...kind of lost interest. Since the story is only 10 hours...I don't know how much I feel like fetching 1001 items. Assassins creed was awful, and the image of the prince on the one ledge there looks far too much like that pathetic game.[/quote]

Well as somebody who enjoyed Assassin's Creed, I'm interested in this game after reading Hilary's review on IGN. He got flack for giving Assassin's Creed a 7.7 (if I remember right), so if he liked this game then it obviously does not share much in common with PoP.

As for PoP, I haven't heard anything about this game. Maybe I'm just not looking at the right sites.

Has anyone picked this up yet? Is it out? I'm debating whether or not to pick this up or wait for a price drop in 6 months...

[quote name='javeryh']Has anyone picked this up yet? Is it out? I'm debating whether or not to pick this up or wait for a price drop in 6 months...[/QUOTE]

Nope I'm waiting to hear your review first. :lol:

92% on gamerankings with four reviews in. Pretty solid so far.

*edit - oh, and my Gamestop said it doesn't come in until tomorrow.

This game is amazing, definitely deserves the reviews it's getting. This one really outshines the original trilogy and does everything better. The platforming is flawless and the controls are easy to get used to. Combat is improved as well. Elika is the best NPC ever. There are far less enemies to deal with now, and each battle feels a little more epic.

My one small complaint is that you can't die, Elika will always save you.

Well, you are basically dying, the game just does it in a stylish and quick way instead of the tired ol' "Game Over. Would you like to continue from the last checkpoint?"

[quote name='Trakan']This game is amazing, definitely deserves the reviews it's getting. This one really outshines the original trilogy and does everything better. The platforming is flawless and the controls are easy to get used to. Combat is improved as well. Elika is the best NPC ever. There are far less enemies to deal with now, and each battle feels a little more epic.

My one small complaint is that you can't die, Elika will always save you.[/quote]

Where did you get a copy?

I've played it and its horrible. It's really really bad. It's so bad I'm going to save you from it. I will, out of the kindness of my heart, dispose of your copy for you. If you have this game just send it to me. i will make sure that it harms noone. Honest.

So, are all the achievement icons the same "blue flame" picture?

My copy didn't even ship from Gamestop yet. They claim to have "plenty of stock" despite the backorder status but can't get it out the fucking loading dock onto a truck.

To all that have played this: Do I need to play the first three games to know about what's going on/characters/relationships? Or is this one completely unrelated to the last three games?

Sooo, everyone. How is the game? 91 on metacritc! I'm waiting for a sale because I'm broke, but dying to get the game. Is it all it seems or what?

Not to decide between this and mirrors edge. At first I was going for this since I assumed it would be longer and have more replayability, however the reviews say its like 10 hours with really limited replayability. >___>

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I agree, a remake of Sands of Time would be great. Unfortunately, I doubt it will ever happen.[/QUOTE]

Yeah remaking 5-year-old games is totally the bomb.

Assassin's Creed was one of my favorite games in recent times..PoP is said to have taken inspiration from AC in more ways than one. This would have been a day one purchase had it released a few weeks back (i.e before I was broke) I might wait till I'm done playing Mirrors Edge before I lose more money to my local gamestop.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Well this game is great but jeeeesussss chriiiiist the prince's dialogue and voice is a nightmare.[/QUOTE]

It's the same voice actor as Nathan Drake from Uncharted.

He really stinks.

It's really like "Nathan Drake as the Prince". Same corny lines and annoying voice.

I just played this game for around an hour and I loved it. if you are used to the Sands of Time Trilogy, this one will take a little while to get used to. However, once you are accustomed to it, you will love it. The Prince's voice seems out of place though, kinda like Altair in Assassin's Creed. (ubi needs to stop doing that.)

bread's done
Back