Prince Of Persia - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='zewone']I really loved the game when I first started, but I was disappointed by the end. I absolutely hate collect-a-thons, that's some Mario 64/Banjo Kazooie shit right there.[/QUOTE]

So you are saying if I like collecting shit I should go with Banjo Kazooie? I love that shit but haven't played it and I was thinking about getting the arcade version.

Anyways I'm just about done with this game and I love it. Not sure how I'd rate it against the other PoPs. I'd say it's better than Warrior Within for sure but probably not up to snuff with the other two. However those were two of my favorite games, especially the first one. I look forward to more games like this and hopefully a sequel.

I don't mind collect-a-thons, but Banjo is a fucking nightmare for that kind of thing. So if you are into finding shit, the original Banjo is for you.

So this game is pretty heavy on collecting stuff?

Don't know if I'll even bother opening my copy when it gets here, I hate that kind of game.

[quote name='whoknows']So this game is pretty heavy on collecting stuff?

Don't know if I'll even bother opening my copy when it gets here, I hate that kind of game.[/quote]

Ah ok then you're a moron lol. No seriously its like 1/3rd of the game is collecting the light orbs along the way. They're actually more as guides to where to go and they're a lot easier to collect compared to something like, oh I don't know, CRACKDOWN! *insert evil voice*:cold:

[quote name='Spybreak8']Ah ok then you're a moron lol. No seriously its like 1/3rd of the game is collecting the light orbs along the way. They're actually more as guides to where to go and they're a lot easier to collect compared to something like, oh I don't know, CRACKDOWN! *insert evil voice*:cold:[/quote]

He is right, Prince of Persia is not heavy on collecting anything. You do need to collect "light seeds" which are these glowing orbs, but there almost 500 extra orbs that you don't even need to collect to finish the game. It is not a burden whatsoever.

If you end up not playing the game then you are a fool.

Eh, there are two things that can make me hate a game: being forced to collect stuff and backtracking. I'm starting to hear that this game has both. As long as they aren't a huge part of the game, I'll probably enjoy it, otherwise if it becomes annoying I'll drop it and move on to other things
Aka Persona 4

Still waiting for this to arrive in the mail though.

[quote name='whoknows']Eh, there are two things that can make me hate a game: being forced to collect stuff and backtracking. I'm starting to hear that this game has both. As long as they aren't a huge part of the game, I'll probably enjoy it, otherwise if it becomes annoying I'll drop it and move on to other things
Aka Persona 4

Still waiting for this to arrive in the mail though.[/QUOTE]

You plan on buying Sonic Unleashed twice.

Man, I just finished PoP about 20 minutes ago and am in awe of how good it was. Not only does it get my personal game of the year but it easily makes the short list of my all time favorites in the company of ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, Sands of Time and Psychonauts. Bravo Ubisoft.

Man, I am glad I didn't stay away from this after reading a few impressions/reviews.

Beautiful, wonderful game. If not for a stellar year already, this would easily be my #1. Right now though, it falls in right behind MGS4 and Fallout 3. I have played just about every major release now though, so there really isn't anything that is going to oust it from there.

Definitely the best PoP since Sands. It may even end up topping it by the time I am done.

Just finished this game.

I'm not sure what Ubisoft Montreal's obsession with making games that have very few enemy types, very few mission-types, and extremely repetitive goals in their games. Nearly every complaint critics had of Assasins Creed carried over to this game, yet it scored generally higher somehow (Although I liked Assasins Creed more).

Come up with a goal for a level. Then create a handful more levels that have the exact same goal, with the exact same mechanics to achieve the goal = game finished.

PoP was almost as scripted as simon says:

Wall run? Hit A button at this time.
Jumping on poles or bars? Hit A at this time.
Screen turning white? Hit Y.
Brass rings? Press B.
Enemy glowing blue? Press B.
Enemy growing tenticles? Press Y.

Now combine the above in a random string with some pretty art and you have yourself a PoP level!

I enjoyed it, but glad I rented it.

Last edited by a moderator:
How long is this game? I played for maybe 90 minutes at most and it seems like I've done so much already. It goes by pretty quick I'm guessing.

[quote name='CouRageouS']How long is this game? I played for maybe 90 minutes at most and it seems like I've done so much already. It goes by pretty quick I'm guessing.[/quote]

Its pretty much typical action game of this generations length. If you sit there and do it it all, it wont take more than 10 hours I'd imagine. The sad part IMO, is there is not a lot of replay value which takes away from it a bit. I'm not an achievement whore, so busting my ass for all the light seeds doesnt interest me, nor the speed runs.

I just finished it tonight. Really loved the art direction and while Prince/Drake's voice didn't fit at first, I warmed up to him and it stopped bothering me, and some of his silly quips to Elika had me laughing out loud. The dude is a pretty good voice actor and he seemed to have chemistry with the girl voicing Elika.

Negatives:
The combat was a bit wonky in places and samey (good ole Ubisoft, reminded me of Assassins in this regard). This is probably my biggest gripe of the game outside of some areas where the camera angles and the way the arty-style of the graphics interfered with line of sight (i.e. during corrupted air sequences, espc in the Martyrs Tower). However, those gripes don't make this a skipper at all. This is a must-play IMO.

The ending was a bit annoying. I dont mind cliffhangers, but this one was a bit predictable. I'm definitely excited to see where they go with it though. It seemed to have multiple endings too, reminded me of Return of the King! lol

I'd say 8/10 easy. It could've been a GOTY contender with a bit more variety in the enemies and combat, but it misses the mark in those few areas. I kept waiting for a hard fight and it never came, just got annoying with some of the bosses parrying and not in the challenging/good way. The platforming was a real treat though and the art direction is as good as it gets.

As far as the ending goes -

I was disappointed. I just sat through what felt like hours of clever dialog as the characters got to know each other and flirt. Then suddenly the main character makes a decision that Elika certainly would not approve of, and went against everything they had built in their relationship and purpose of the game so far, and all she had to say, and all that was offered for the player invested in them was "Why?" Pretty empty.

I can now relate to all the negative comments on this game. I have reached a point to where I now must backtrack and start collecting orbs I didn't get so I can continue. fucking lame dash o. I was having such a good time too. It was flowing so nicely. I'm so close to beating it and now this crap.

Just finished this, definitely not as good as people have been saying. No puzzles (except the Sluice gate), and bland combat. Nothing like fighting the same monster 10 times in one game.

No death penalty, and pretty lackluster plot which was expected. That said, the graphics, platforming, voice acting and characters were awesome.

Good rental, but due to lack of replay value I can't see ever going back. Hopefully the sequel mixes stuff up a bit.

7.5/10

[quote name='Calamityuponthee']Just finished this, definitely not as good as people have been saying. No puzzles (except the Sluice gate), and bland combat. Nothing like fighting the same monster 10 times in one game.

No death penalty, and pretty lackluster plot which was expected. That said, the graphics, platforming, voice acting and characters were awesome.

Good rental, but due to lack of replay value I can't see ever going back. Hopefully the sequel mixes stuff up a bit.

7.5/10[/quote]

hopefully the sequel is much more difficult.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Just finished this game.

I'm not sure what Ubisoft Montreal's obsession with making games that have very few enemy types, very few mission-types, and extremely repetitive goals in their games. Nearly every complaint critics had of Assasins Creed carried over to this game, yet it scored generally higher somehow (Although I liked Assasins Creed more).

Come up with a goal for a level. Then create a handful more levels that have the exact same goal, with the exact same mechanics to achieve the goal = game finished.[/quote]

The thing I really liked about both games is that while you can basically mash the same buttons to get through most of the game, you are rewarded when you learn the intricacies and you can choose multiple ways to go about doing things. In that sense it feels much more like an experience than a game. The story and beautiful enviroments in both games excel, which adds even more to the sense of experiencing a world.

It is a warm and fuzzy feeling that you either get or you don't and it makes a world of difference in what you think of the game. When you add too many "game" elements to the game you take the risk of pulling the player out of the experience and making them very aware that they are playing a game. There a lot of games where that negative "gamey" feeling (GTA IV, any CoD on veteran difficulty and Splinter Cell: DA jump to mind) completely ruined the experience for me and left the game to stand exclusively on its gameplay.

In that end I never felt like I was grinding out anything in either PoP or AC. I wanted to continue on to experience more of the game and felt rewarded the entire time.

You make a compelling argument.

Basically you seem to be saying that PoP and AC are less about the game and more about the experience. In many ways, more comparable to a movie than a game. Only the movie pauses and makes you find the play button all the time - and that is the game.

I see them almost like Dragons Lair and Space Ace. Go through repetitive Simon Says-like motions to keep pressing the play button on the story and see more pretty art. Almost entirely scripted. Those games definitely have their place, but as you point out, these games almost border on being outside the definition of "game".

I guess for me personally, if I'm going to play a "search for the play button" type game, I'd really prefer an Adventure game like Monkey Island or Full throttle to point and click through. At least those have fun stories with compelling puzzles to keep the story moving instead of just lots and lots and lots of button combinations.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I wouldn't go to that extreme, but they definitely fall somewhere in between. Comparing them to Dragons Lair or Space Ace does them a disservice. Both games have large worlds that you can explore at your leisure. You could literally spend hours in both games just looking around the world.

The minute you start thinking about it as lots and lots of button combinations the magic is lost. In my head while I running along a wall I'm thinking about the action associated with the next step. Do I jump or grab a ring? If you're thinking do I push A or B it has been reduced to the gameplay and it doesn't hold up.

But even then I don't think the gameplay is as simple as it has been made out to be. Just like AC the combat has a rhythm and a structure to it, almost like a dance. So far in PoP I've only been able to achieve a 6 hit combo, but combos of 14(+?) hits are possible.

This game starts out pretty fun, but like AC, it gets pretty repetitive after you get the
2nd Power

Boy, does it look pretty though.

Game is pretty good. It's definitely worth 40.00. It does get repetitive though, and combat and replayability is about as bad as AC, but also is as good as AC was.

AC was a beautiful masterpiece, but the lack of good combat and low replayability made it spoil pretty fast, and that's exactly how it is with this game. It's still a must play, and I agree, if it had more replayability or combat was more varied, it could have been a definite GOTY contender.

Just picked up the game for 40.00 and the game is awesome! I think it is worth that price and should have been released at that price. I have a feeling that is why when you did buy it basically at 59.99 you upgraded to the Limited Edition version. Also I think they wanted it to release at 40.00 for some reason hence the drop already.

Just came back from picking up a used LE copy for $35 - bought it all of, oh, 1.5 hours ago. Go check B&M, SKK. I thought the price lasted until 1/4 or something.

[quote name='Strell']Just came back from picking up a used LE copy for $35 - bought it all of, oh, 1.5 hours ago. Go check B&M, SKK. I thought the price lasted until 1/4 or something.[/quote]

I'll give them a call. I really hope the price stays at $40. I have a $10 dollar giftcard and another $25 dollar giftcard in the mail, so I was going to get it for $5 bucks...

Freaking gorgeous game. Everything about it to me felt right. I'd give it a 5/5. One of the best games I've played all year and the last game I finished all year. What a fitting way to end 2008 for me.

just play Assassin's Creed again and I now have a new found respect for the Prince's voice. His voice is corny, but Altair's is just bad.

Yo... Just got me a 360. Very happy with it. As far as the game is concerned - does anyone else feel that Elika is way more bad ass than the protagonist can ever be? I mean check out what she can do:

• fly
  • whoop an ass or two
  • summon a path-fairy
  • special abilities

Prince, on the other hand has only two unique characteristics:

• run on a wall for a little bit
  • block

The game should have been "Elika pwnin' monsters from Ico" without the Prince altogether. No, I'm not serious. Their conversations feature some terrible writing, but enough of it is good for be to keep pressing that Left Trigger.

I'm very happy I rented the game. I got it Monday night, already defeated the
Warrior, Concubine, and the Alchemist
and have just one path remaining, have all four abilities unlocked. Do not see me playing this game for the second time, so $8.99 Blockbuster rental is a rather decent price to pay. Before you start yelling "Dude, you do not have just one path remaining" - I'm guessing (hoping) there's more to the game than that, so don't spoil.

Finally played this last night...not really sure what to think. Seems easy, and the camera can be intrusive. I'll give it a bit more time to decide. Looks beautiful though.

It suffers from Assassin's Creed syndrome... jaw-droppingly gorgeous game built around a very small, repetitive set of game mechanics. These are games I should've loved, but just ended getting bored of.

Just like AC, I see myself not going back and finishing this off for another 6 months, at least. I know it's been said as a joke, but it's as if Ubisoft thinks that people will be distracted enough by visuals to not notice that complete lack of depth and variety in a title.

I see a bunch of people talking about the price drop at gamestop. I just went to gamestop today and saw it for 35 bucks used. So, it's still out there at a cheap price. It's worth every penny too. This game is so much fun!

[quote name='ttocs']I see a bunch of people talking about the price drop at gamestop. I just went to gamestop today and saw it for 35 bucks used. So, it's still out there at a cheap price. It's worth every penny too. This game is so much fun![/quote]

ttocs: the following is an opinion that dissents from your own, which is not meant to be a troll or an insult.

I wouldn't want to own this game for $5. I've beaten my rental copy, almost out of necessity, and really have to say that my enthusiastic response was due to discovering the only good boss first (I won't bother explaining which one that is, for that bit should be unanimous).

Having not played Assassin's Creed yet, I have to say that my issue with the game's redundancy / having nothing new to show for itself after whatever path you play first is staggering.

In other words - if you haven't played this yet, you might want to check it out before investing. Better safe than $35 wasted.

I have all the powers but there are still a few light seeds in the earlier ares that I just cannot get. Is there, like, a secret fifth power you get later on? I just spent two hours trying to figure out how to get the last two or three light seeds in a few areas with no luck.

[quote name='007']It suffers from Assassin's Creed syndrome... jaw-droppingly gorgeous game built around a very small, repetitive set of game mechanics. These are games I should've loved, but just ended getting bored of.

Just like AC, I see myself not going back and finishing this off for another 6 months, at least. I know it's been said as a joke, but it's as if Ubisoft thinks that people will be distracted enough by visuals to not notice that complete lack of depth and variety in a title.[/quote]

I agree. I am almost finished with PoP and I have been enjoying it but it is really really repetitive, really really easy and really really beautiful.

The world they created is pretty much empty and when you do encounter an enemy it is the most generic, pathetically designed enemy you could possibly put in a video game. The unhealed regions are a joke too - blobs off goo that move up and down in a pattern? Seriously? I also love how the paths are all laid out for you too but showing the wall as worn down - like when the kingdom was in its heyday that's how people got around.

I don't know why I'm compelled to finish though - I am having fun with it. Unexplainable fun. Maybe it's because it's easy and mindless and most of the achievements are completely attainable. I don't know. I played through 1/3 of Assassin's Creed before putting it down and I have yet to go back - maybe I should since these games are very very similar.

Does this game freeze a lot for anyone else? I've had it lock up on me 3 times today alone, once right when I got my 540th light seed.

bread's done
Back