Pro Wrestling discussion topic--WWE, AEW, ROH, Impact, New Japan, indies

I really really enjoyed that tournament, with one minor quibble. WWE announced that Moustache Mountain (Bate and Seven) are the current Progress tag team champions, while overlooking that they are also currently the Chikara Campeonatos de Parejas (tag team champions).

Pete Dunne was stunningly impressive.

I really really enjoyed that tournament, with one minor quibble. WWE announced that Moustache Mountain (Bate and Seven) are the current Progress tag team champions, while overlooking that they are also currently the Chikara Campeonatos de Parejas (tag team champions).

Pete Dunne was stunningly impressive.
True, but I was surprised they mentioned that at all since I don't remember hearing about the Progress/ICW champs (Dunne/Wolfgang).

Show was fantastic all around. Andrews/Dunne was my match of the tourney.

That's fair. Can't mention every indy accolade, but it does appear that Progress is getting a bit of Evolve-like treatment in the UK, as Aleister Black (previously known - including earlier today - as Tommy End) showed up at their show on Saturday.

I mean, y'all know why I'm partial to Chikara - like I said, it's a minor quibble. ;)

I was really not feeling that UK tournament at all...until we got to the later parts of day 1. Everything from then on was great, and I did NOT expect that last match to play out the way it did at all.

People like Suburban Commando tattooed Wolfgang and acne-scarred Pete Dunne getting a lot of screentime is not something I would have expected.

In hindsight, Wolfgang was a pleasant surprise. The announcers did a good job of selling his roughshod look by basically saying he'd called sick into his job at the pub to be at this tournament, which carries enough blue collar undertone that you're not surprised his gear has a budget look compared with Mark Andrews. I was (at first) sincerely disappointed that he went on in the tourney, but that's largely because I wanted to see Seven go all the way.

Pete Dunne and Mark Andrews shined like I would have never guessed. They are two guys who I had little knowledge of (just the slightest bit in Andrews' case), but seeing them this weekend, I really want to go back and see much of their other work.

Now, this tournament took up 2 days and 4-ish hours, compared with the CWC, which went on for...8 weeks? Granted, there were 32 people in the CWC, so it's not apples to oranges comparison. But, for those who watched both, I wonder which you preferred - a slower narrative that played out over several weeks, or the more all-at-once style of the UK tourney...shall we say traditional television season vs "Netflix" style?

I thought the buildup of the CWC was far better and the tournament seemed like a big deal. The matches were overall better than the UK show, but the best UK matches were better than the best CWC matches. That final UK match was one of the best ones I've seen in a long time.

Problem with the CWC was they didn't really do anything to establish why you should give a shit about any of them other than Kendrick & Tajiri and the "making a comeback" built-in story. There were 3 or 4 guys I thought were super interesting in the UK tournament despite being less familiar with them than I was the CWC guys.

-------

Can't wait for Vince's annual MLK tribute video, followed by New Day throwing a cake in Titus' face and tossing him in a dumpster

Last edited by a moderator:
The WWE takeover of Europe is beginning. 2 changes to IPW's event this weekend due to them not wanting Dunne and Conners appearing on a Floslam event. They'll never do the thing that would make this good and actually do a talent exchange and have people appear on other shows. Send Rollins to a Progress event and so on. As it stands, Progress/ICW/OTT will lose a lot of prestige in exchange for exposure. The Ricochet vs Ospreay  and Ricochet vs Scurll that headlined OTT in December? Not anymore.

The WWE takeover of Europe is beginning. 2 changes to IPW's event this weekend due to them not wanting Dunne and Conners appearing on a Floslam event. They'll never do the thing that would make this good and actually do a talent exchange and have people appear on other shows. Send Rollins to a Progress event and so on. As it stands, Progress/ICW/OTT will lose a lot of prestige in exchange for exposure. The Ricochet vs Ospreay and Ricochet vs Scurll that headlined OTT in December? Not anymore.
Now you know what NXT Takeover means.

16179328_1000326200099657_4067032384327942739_o.jpg

fuck yes.

I saw these in Walmart yesterday. I didn't even know they were a thing. They're modeled after the Hasbro figures from the early 90s, packaging included. They also have Ultimate Warrior and old school Undertaker with the necktie. 

fbe196b5724de48219cc5c9380e1b327.jpg

Actually kind of interested in this Rumble since you could make a case for like 5 of the guys participating to win it. Not to mention some of the teases we'll probably get, even if they don't intend on delivering later (Undertaker vs Strowman, Lesnar vs Strowman, Goldberg vs Reigns, Goldberg vs Taker, Joe (if he shows up) vs anyone listed earlier).

Not to mention the built-in stuff like will Dillinger be #10, will Omega show up (not fucking likely), what other surprises show up, etc.

Agreed.

And if leading up to the 10th spot the fans don't "10, 10, 10" all the way down to one I'll be disappointed. If it was in a smarkier area it would probably be that every countdown and get old quickly.

Agreed.

And if leading up to the 10th spot the fans don't "10, 10, 10" all the way down to one I'll be disappointed. If it was in a smarkier area it would probably be that every countdown and get old quickly.
I'm not sure San Antonio is that smarky a town. Chicago, NYC, Philadelphia, Montreal, sure. TX? Nah.

Random Rumble prediction:

A New Day member is one of the first two, so they can do their intro. Possibly with Cass as the other entrant for the same reason.

How is Finn Balor's injury? He's the only clear cut winner I can see in Royal Rumble this year if he's good to wrestle again. Since no Seth Rollins means it won't interfere with Rollins being a still early on face and Owens-Balor can make for good build up despite it being done on NXT.

They'd be dumb if they didn't put Kurt with Alpha, but I don't see them wasting it at the Rumble/i don't think they're in it.

Finn teased on Twitter he's "30-1 odds" to appear. I'm putting my money on he gets Undertaker and doesn't appear Sunday.

I figure joe will be at the Rumble tomorrow. Dillinger will probably not be there, even though he should be at 10, they'll pass it up just because the fans want it. Y'all want Dillinger at 10? fuck you, getting Roman at 10, and guess what? LOL ROMAN WINS AGAIN!

I figure joe will be at the Rumble tomorrow. Dillinger will probably not be there, even though he should be at 10, they'll pass it up just because the fans want it. Y'all want Dillinger at 10? fuck you, getting Roman at 10, and guess what? LOL ROMAN WINS AGAIN!
Roman wins the Universal title tomorrow. Then wins the Rumble. Holds the title until Mania. Walks out for the main event with a mirror and has a "I'm a cocky guy" funny face contest with himself for 30 minutes.
4d735510e064c6870917f6272a24bdf5.gif

Nice way of breaking a submission....

Roode's entrance, I believe Flair is getting some royalties for that.

Decent show, not happy with either title change but I'm willing to see where they go before complaining too much. Makes the rumors of Nakamura in the Rumble more credible.

Decent show, not happy with either title change but I'm willing to see where they go before complaining too much. Makes the rumors of Nakamura in the Rumble more credible.
How the hell do you figure? Given the ending of the match it would be full retard for him to be in the rumble. If this was Main roster booking then maybe, but this is NXT booking.

Yeah I thought that match went the way it did to give an easy reason as to why Nakamura wouldn't be in the rumble.

They could do what Owens did last year where he got beat up by Dean and then hobbled his way down the ramp for the rumble. But that would be a pretty shitty debut for someone.

5-6 hour event for 8. Get it right.
if you want to watch the preshow... they should of of just did the preshow from 6 to 7... 2 hours for 4 events most will just be talking

why would it be a 5 hour event

that would push it to less then 10pm.. though looking at last year i guess it was worse

How the hell do you figure? Given the ending of the match it would be full retard for him to be in the rumble. If this was Main roster booking then maybe, but this is NXT booking.
The Glorious NXT Champion Bobby Roode layeth his hands upon the broken Shinsuke Nakamura and he hath healed.

All hail the glorious yet merciful Bobby Roode!

bread's done
Back