PS Vita Deals & Discussions Thread

lastemp3ror

CAGiversary!
Feedback
292 (100%)
Since I thought the cheap 3DS games thread was a good idea. I thought I would start one for the PS Vita. I will maintain this site a few times a day going forward. Post links up to new deals and I will add them to the OP. Anyhow, here we go:

Updated 2/5/2014

Amazon:

Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational $15.50

Lumines- Electronic Symphony $18.49

MLB 12 The Show- $5.88

Silent Hill: Book of Memories- $11.68

Spy Hunter- $14.89

Gravity Rush- $18.53

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time- $19.12

Need for Speed: Most Wanted- $15.99

Persona 4 Golden - $19.99

Best Buy:

GameStop:

Call of Duty Black Ops: Declassified $19..99 New/ $17.99 Used

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure. It was a big 2-story Target in the Hotel Circle area, near I-8 and the fashion valley shopping mall. I had never seen a 2 story Target before until that point.

Oh, and sorry Chimp, if I knew you needed it I would have just grabbed it.
That's the Mission Valley one, at the Mission Valley Mall. It's only like a mile from Fashion Valley Mall, yes. A lot of tourists take pictures of shopping cart escalators.

There's actually a 3 story one too.

I'm not sure. It was a big 2-story Target in the Hotel Circle area, near I-8 and the fashion valley shopping mall. I had never seen a 2 story Target before until that point.
Oh, and sorry Chimp, if I knew you needed it I would have just grabbed it.
There is one of those close to me... I'm not sure if I was more in awe of the 2-story Target or the Starbucks/Pizza Hut that was inside it upon my first visit.

The only really annoying thing about Bon Appetit is that it's a $15 game, but it's basically half the game, and the other half is $15 DLC. So they basically snuck out a pretty bare bones psn rhythm game (really notable only for the quirkiness and fan service) as a $30 game.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Hopefully next time the whole thing is half off and not just the base game.

I didn't know you passed it up, I thought you ended up grabbing it during the Golden Week sale
No I passed because I'm really not into fan service and don't really get it. I mean, I get butts and boobs but I don't really get it in something like this or anime.

Since Bumslie told me about Corpse Party I decided to troll Amazon a bit and I saw the 49.99 Vita game that comes out next week, looks like a limited edition as it comes with a soundtrack of some sort. I've never played one of these before but the premise looks mildly interesting. Anyone on here getting it? I don't own any of the Japanese-centric games yet, so I'm a little nervous to be honest. I sometimes have a tougher time getting into this kind of stuff.

Since Bumslie told me about Corpse Party I decided to troll Amazon a bit and I saw the 49.99 Vita game that comes out next week, looks like a limited edition as it comes with a soundtrack of some sort. I've never played one of these before but the premise looks mildly interesting. Anyone on here getting it? I don't own any of the Japanese-centric games yet, so I'm a little nervous to be honest. I sometimes have a tougher time getting into this kind of stuff.
I have the new one preordered from amazon... It comes with a 2 CD soundtrack and art book. I think they said that the limited edition will be the only physical release.

I played the first and like half of the second (guess I trailed off years ago on my psp but should go back and finish it). They're really good horror games... They aren't really that Japanese aside from the original Japanese audio and setting. Well, I guess that sort of drops them into the "J horror" category...but they're really just gory messed up horror games with great story elements and some visual novel elements (especially in the 2nd). The new one looks like it's more of a full-on 3D survival horror game...and looks great.

I have the new one preordered from amazon... It comes with a 2 CD soundtrack and art book. I think they said that the limited edition will be the only physical release.

I played the first and like half of the second (guess I trailed off years ago on my psp but should go back and finish it). They're really good horror games... They aren't really that Japanese aside from the original Japanese audio and setting. Well, I guess that sort of drops them into the "J horror" category...but they're really just gory messed up horror games with great story elements and some visual novel elements (especially in the 2nd). The new one looks like it's more of a full-on 3D survival horror game...and looks great.
Thanks! I may take the plunge then. I've been wanting to play a survival horror game on the Vita (already have Revelations 2 on the PS4) and all we really have right now that I'm aware of is that Silent Hill game which I found to be a disappointment in comparison to Silent Hill Origins on the PSP.

I think I'm gonna pick it up as well. I've heard good things about the first 2 and can always go for a good survival horror game. Not sure if I'll get it day one though. Obviously that can be risky but I figure I have a little time to grab it.

My Dengeki Bunko arrived today from Best Buy.  In a bubble mailer.. and... smashed...

There are some things that GCU/ElitePlus just can't manage to get you apparently.

Thanks! I may take the plunge then. I've been wanting to play a survival horror game on the Vita (already have Revelations 2 on the PS4) and all we really have right now that I'm aware of is that Silent Hill game which I found to be a disappointment in comparison to Silent Hill Origins on the PSP.
It's definitely extremely different from Revelations and Silent Hill, so you might not want to base your purchase on that. Here's a gameplay video that just came out of the first 18 minutes of the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vtU2mzhfDE

It's definitely extremely different from Revelations and Silent Hill, so you might not want to base your purchase on that. Here's a gameplay video that just came out of the first 18 minutes of the game:
Its...interesting. I'm not sure I'm a big fan of the cartoon-like character avatar and the constant anime style expressions that pop up onscreen with the dialogue. On the plus side, the story seems to be very well written, and the dialogue is indeed engaging and detailed. I was entertained by seeing what would happen next.

Its...interesting. I'm not sure I'm a big fan of the cartoon-like character avatar and the constant anime style expressions that pop up onscreen with the dialogue. On the plus side, the story seems to be very well written, and the dialogue is indeed engaging and detailed. I was entertained by seeing what would happen next.
Yeah, they're very story heavy games (think the second game is a complete visual novel even) so they are well written. If you don't like the anime trappings you may not like the game though.

Yeah, they're very story heavy games (think the second game is a complete visual novel even) so they are well written. If you don't like the anime trappings you may not like the game though.
The second game is sort of a visual novel with point-and-click style sections where you can travel to different rooms and look around and find items to solve puzzles and stuff. But I guess people preferred the style of the first game, so this one goes back to free movement.

But, ya, the story and characters are the main draw in these games, and they've been really well-written so far...and the sound adds a lot. They're the kinds of games where you might go "this is cute" and then hit a scene that involves a graphic written depiction of a character describing their experience as their eye is removed from its socket with pliers and they're slowly disemboweled with shears, complete with audio slurps and splats and screams and gurgles...and it somehow actually works and the games end up being pretty atmospheric and even unsettling.

The second game is sort of a visual novel with point-and-click style sections where you can travel to different rooms and look around and find items to solve puzzles and stuff. But I guess people preferred the style of the first game, so this one goes back to free movement.

But, ya, the story and characters are the main draw in these games, and they've been really well-written so far...and the sound adds a lot. They're the kinds of games where you might go "this is cute" and then hit a scene that involves a graphic written depiction of a character describing their experience as their eye is removed from its socket with pliers and they're slowly disemboweled with shears, complete with audio slurps and splats and screams and gurgles...and it somehow actually works and the games end up being pretty atmospheric and even unsettling.
I just finished the first game and I agree, it works pretty well. Although to be honest, its origins as an RPG Maker game (I assume it's remade in a different engine, but it still feels *exactly* like RPG Maker) do bring down the experience. Slow movement, loads of backtracking with some very obtuse event triggers, slow text speed, and numerous fail-states where it's faster to just reset the game than click through whatever bad-ending text you've gotten for the third time in a row.

From your description the sequel sounds more Zero Escape-esque which is ok with me. Looking forward to playing it although now I have to pick between that and Danganronpa 2, which finally showed up today from Jet Frys.

With a lot of the physical retailers not doing well, or flat out in trouble, I hope Jet, or another company can catch on. Competition is good for the consumer and while I like Amazon it's not in our best interest for them to be the only "store in town".

Amazon is already head and shoulders in the lead and it's going to take massive money for someone to step up and compete.
Screw Amazon. I havent used it but i hope Jet gives them some competition. This crap theyve been doing recently with randomly putting certain items as 'prime only' is complete bullshit

Yeah, previous order history tells me that two isn't enough for them to not squish them both into a single bubble mailer (with predictable results). Ordering three typically is enough to get the order to ship in a box, then I just return the two extras next time I'm passing a best buy.
Good to know im not the only one. I usually have to do several copies of games then return them. Its very frustrating. I didnt know fighting climax came in a box, crap. I'll have to check the packages at the door and see if its there to check on it. Hope i dont have to put another order in.

Breach and Clear is getting a limited print run retail version on Vita:

https://twitter.com/Randygbk/status/651168437645869056

Additional pics:

CQm385SUcAAY02S.jpg

MSRP will be $25, with only 1500 copies will be printed and no additional print runs.

Really hoping we get some other limited physical copies on Vita alongside this (I would kill for both Hotline Miami 1 and 2 on cart, the Collected Edition was an utter failure considering that the better game was digital only).

CAG apparently is not a fan of embedded tweets.
i played that game and it was confusing. There was no manual or tutorial or anything so i had no idea what the different classes and junk did. Gameplay was a bit odd too. I guess characters just auto attack? It really needed better structure or a damn manual or tutorial or something

If you can find it, the best Vita game case that I have found is the game case that comes in the Rocketfish Vita Starter Kit at Best Buy (discontinued). It is very small and holds 30 games per case. They stopped selling the case over a year ago though, so you would have to likely find them used somewhere. I have 4 of these cases for my Vita games, but I need one more.

The only one I could even find available for sale used is on ebay right now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ps-vita-case-And-Memory-Card-/141792580475?hash=item21037f137b

$40 for the bundle (which isn't terrible as it comes with the cases, 16GB memory stick, and 2 games). Not a great option if you need just the case though.
oh damn. I think i have a couple extra of those from when BBY had them balls cheap. I gave a couple to my cousin and a friend but im pretty sure i bought like 3 or 4

My Dengeki Bunko arrived today from Best Buy. In a bubble mailer.. and... smashed...

There are some things that GCU/ElitePlus just can't manage to get you apparently.
Sorry to hear that. I figured this would be the case. I've started ordering 3 of each cardboard outer box game - that is usually enough to get it to ship in a box instead, then I just return the two extras on my next BB trip. (FWIW, ordering just 2 of them isn't enough - they smush both of them inside a single bubble mailer.)

This process also has the nice side effect of actually getting a couple more niche games on my local store's shelves.

I'm just keeping mine. Its cheap as hell and this is one box I don't care about. I did exchange my P4 DAN box for a mint one but with this game its just getting tossed in the recycling.

I'm just keeping mine. Its cheap as hell and this is one box I don't care about. I did exchange my P4 DAN box for a mint one but with this game its just getting tossed in the recycling.
I wandered over to Gamestop and ended up buying a perfect copy. No GCU, but at least it's not a pancake.

Just a heads up to anyone planning on buying Blood Drive. Apparently, it spoils the first two Corpse Party games right in the beginning and it's a direct sequel to those, so you might wanna play those first. Also, the games have binaural audio and as MR_E said, the performances, sound effects, and everything add a lot to the game, so I'd make sure to use headphones.

Corpse Party is a visual novel. I haven't played it, just be aware of that.

If you want survival horror on vita look into:

Lone Survivor

Resident Evil Revelations 2

Home

Forgotten Memories (not out yet)

Night Cry (not out yet)

(haven't played any, just know of them)

and obviously a pile of psp/ps1 games including several SH and RE games.

My Dengeki Bunko is due to arrive today, will post the results soon. Is everyone with crushed copies returning, or just keeping it?
I doubt you will get the launch edition if you decide to return it. And by looking at gamestop only supplying one copy per store. This game looks to be pretty limited. As far as gamestop & best buy. Amazon who knows how many launch edition's they have in stock.

I doubt you will get the launch edition if you decide to return it. And by looking at gamestop only supplying one copy per store. This game looks to be pretty limited. As far as gamestop & best buy. Amazon who knows how many launch edition's they have in stock.
Well BB still lists the launch edition for both PS3 and Vita on their website, with specific reference to the extras (CD, sleeve/box), so if necessary I could probably get BB to get me a new copy. If not, I'll just keep it, no big deal although it is pretty annoying.

Here's an example of replacement Vita cases on Ebay, 10 pack for $14 shipped (I'm sure they can be found even cheaper, didn't look hard):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SINGLE-DISC-PS-VITA-BLUE-Replacement-Game-Case-10-Pak-/390509358727?hash=item5aec2bee87
I just got 27 off Amazon for $12...just a heads up for anyone looking. I probably don't need that many but I've started collecting vita games so who knows...might need more down the road.

http://www.amazon.com/PS-plastic-Replacement-quality-playstation/dp/B00PR2GCJY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1444324369&sr=8-1&keywords=vita+27

Re:Corpse Party.

There are two main Japanese approaches to horror. One is based primarily on atmosphere and suspense; the other is based primarily on body horror and disgust. (I'm not saying one is better than the other, and it's hard to find one without at least a little of the other.)

While the old Silent Hills and Fatal Frame fall more into the first category, Corpse Party falls more into the second camp, so just be aware what you're getting into.

I just finished the first game and I agree, it works pretty well. Although to be honest, its origins as an RPG Maker game (I assume it's remade in a different engine, but it still feels *exactly* like RPG Maker) do bring down the experience. Slow movement, loads of backtracking with some very obtuse event triggers, slow text speed, and numerous fail-states where it's faster to just reset the game than click through whatever bad-ending text you've gotten for the third time in a row.

From your description the sequel sounds more Zero Escape-esque which is ok with me. Looking forward to playing it although now I have to pick between that and Danganronpa 2, which finally showed up today from Jet Frys.
Ya, the second game IS a little Zero Escape-esque...but less clever-puzzle-y and more "walk around until you find item A so you can use it to get item B to enter locked room C"... And it does still have moments where you have to wander around rooms until you find a room where the game triggers something new...and it still has the bad endings...but at least during the visual novel type parts, you can hit start to fast forward through all the text until it gets to a choice, so you can reload an old save and skip to the fork in the road.

Thanks for the video. I skipped around watching much of that and can tell despite my love for various adventure games, visual novels, anime, a little horror and so on... this just doesn't look like any fun to me. So I can avoid it for now.

There's an interesting article in the Journal from last night about Jet.com's switch away from the membership fee model.  It has quite a bit of info on how they operate (and casts doubt on the viability of their model without the fee).

http://www.wsj.com/articles/shopping-site-jet-com-abandons-50-membership-fee-1444240750

I'm not sure how much of the article you can read without a WSJ subscription, so here's the article in a spoiler box:

Jet.com Inc. has quickly abandoned a pillar of the business model behind its new discount shopping site, a surprising turnabout for what many industry watchers considered the most promising challenger to Amazon.com Inc. in years.

The startup said Wednesday that it would do away with its $50 annual membership fee less than three months after launching the site. Jet, based in Hoboken, N.J., had insisted the fee would be its sole source of profit, and that it planned to keep prices low by subsidizing them with the sales commissions it collected from the site’s merchants.

The change casts doubt on the viability of one of this year’s most-hyped startups, and suggests Jet was concerned about signing up paying customers over time.

Even before it opened the site to the public in July, Jet had raised $225 million in capital from investors including Goldman Sachs Group Inc. and Alphabet Inc.’s Google Ventures.

Without the membership fees, it will be more challenging for Jet to beat Amazon’s prices—its key pitch to customers—while also funding a massive advertising campaign. Jet projected it wouldn’t be profitable until 2020.

Jet’s founder, Marc Lore, who also created Diapers.com and later sold it to Amazon, has likened the new site to an online version of Costco Wholesale Corp. On Wednesday, Mr. Lore said Jet found that merchants preferred a site without a membership fee. “We came up with a solution that’s better for investors, customers, retailers,” he said.

Jet had promised prices as much as 15% lower than Amazon’s, as well as rewards to customers for combining orders so that vendors could cut shipping costs.

Mr. Lore said Wednesday that Jet will keep sales commissions and instead offer more modest price cuts. He said Jet customers should now expect prices of at least 4% to 5% lower than competitors under the new model.

Jet had handed out free memberships, offering trial periods of between three months and one year, meaning very few, if any, users had paid the $50 fee. It plastered the coupon codes on buses, subway posters and taxi cabs, as part of a marketing push expected to cost $100 million in the first 12 months after its July launch.

The paradox of Jet’s pitch is that the low prices it needs to attract customers can drive away product suppliers who don’t want their products discounted, limiting the availability of merchandise.

Mr. Lore said Wednesday that he was pursuing deals with luxury-goods purveyors, but he declined to name any.

In research prepared for The Wall Street Journal, pricing-data provider Boomerang Commerce found that Jet was often cheaper than Amazon, but that it struggled to list as many products.

In September, Boomerang looked at 16 categories of goods sold by both companies, picking out nearly 1,600 items listed as best sellers on Amazon in those categories. The firm found that Jet had just 31% of those items, though its prices were lower for 73% of the overlapping merchandise.

The Journal learned in July that Jet was using a tactic to fill its virtual shelves with items it hadn’t negotiated to list. For what it called its “concierge” service, Jet often bought goods from other companies’ sites and shipped them direct to its own customers. The service often loses money because Jet pays the full retail price on the other sites, while absorbing costs for shipping and returns.

In an analysis at the time, the Journal found that 12 items among 22 purchased on Jet were shipped by retailers such as Wal-Mart Stores Inc. and Nordstrom Inc. Jet’s prices for the 12 items added up to $275.55, an average discount of about 11% from the prices Jet paid for them.

Jet’s total cost, including estimated shipping and taxes, was $518.46. As a result, it had an overall loss of $242.91 on the 12 items.

Many of the retailers were unaware their merchandise, photos and product descriptions, in some cases, were being displayed on Jet’s site.

Mr. Lore said Jet had effectively ceased the concierge program, a move that would seemingly hurt Jet’s perceived inventory.

Jet still touted the service on its site Wednesday, though only for items “no longer available” from its own merchants, which a spokesman said represented less than 1% of orders.

Shortly after the site’s launch, many competing retailers also objected to an affiliate program that placed links to their sites without permission. Jet swiftly removed the logos and links of dozens of big retailers, including Macy’s Inc. and Home Depot Inc. after the Journal made inquiries.

As previously reported, the company has talked to investors about raising hundreds of millions of dollars in capital by year-end, underscoring how much money it would take for Jet to post a profit. Those talks were aimed at increasing the online retailer’s value to $3 billion from $600 million, according to people familiar with the matter.

Interesting article on Jet.  I can't wrap my brain around how that business model or those tactics will turn into a profitable web based business.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're just trying to ramp up their numbers so they can sell it to someone wanting to compete with Amazon, so they can... jet.

Well Senran Kagura only had a slightly smushed corner so not too bad. Disgaea 5 though... so squished.

Ramp up customer base quickly and sell entire outfit to Amazon so they dismantle it.
You would be surprised how many start ups actually have that as their true objective.

Ramp up customer base quickly and sell entire outfit to Amazon so they dismantle it.
Doubt it. Jet doesn't fit AMZN's M&A target profile; they tend to only acquire companies that either 1) specialize in single-genres, and do it well (e.g., ShopBob, Audible, diapers.com, etc) or 2) operate as a more niche player (e.g. Woot). Jet doesn't fit either of those profiles.

Doubt it. Jet doesn't fit AMZN's M&A target profile; they tend to only acquire companies that either 1) specialize in single-genres, and do it well (e.g., ShopBob, Audible, diapers.com, etc) or 2) operate as a more niche player (e.g. Woot). Jet doesn't fit either of those profiles.
You don't even have to be a good business necessarily, let alone making money, for someone to buy you up. If your seen as disruptive enough, a potential threat, or even just generating enough buzz someone may snap you up while you're small and relatively cheap and basically write it off.

You don't even have to be a good business necessarily, let alone making money, for someone to buy you up. If your seen as disruptive enough, a potential threat, or even just generating enough buzz someone may snap you up while you're small and relatively cheap and basically write it off.
I don't disagree with the sentiment that their exit strategy is acquisition by someone (frankly, that's the exit strategy for most start-ups). I disagree that Amazon would be the acquirer.

The problem is that Jet doesn't do order fulfillment, so they won't have any supply chain patents.   They are basically nothing more than an e-commerce storefront and a marketing department.  And software patents are virtually worthless because they are easy to program around.  So the liklihood of them having any IP that would be of use to AMZN is pretty remote.

Is there any unboxing on Corpse Party? Wondering if it is large enough that it would possibly ship in a box if shipped with Dengeki Bunko.  

The problem is that Jet doesn't do order fulfillment, so they won't have any supply chain patents. They are basically nothing more than an e-commerce storefront and a marketing department. And software patents are virtually worthless because they are easy to program around. So the liklihood of them having any IP that would be of use to AMZN is pretty remote.
Read the article someone posted above. Multiple mentions of it trying to be an amazon killer, or, at least, giving them a run for their money. Sometimes buzz is all you need.

Read the article someone posted above. Multiple mentions of it trying to be an amazon killer, or, at least, giving them a run for their money. Sometimes buzz is all you need.
LOL. Yeah. I posted that article.

"Trying to be an Amazon killer" doesn't mean it's a suitable target for AMZN to acquire. Jet needs to bring something to AMZN in the way of synergy, asset, or operational value.

Sorry guys, didn't mean to derail the thread when I posted that article.

bread's done
Back