PS Vita Deals & Discussions Thread

lastemp3ror

CAGiversary!
Feedback
292 (100%)
Since I thought the cheap 3DS games thread was a good idea. I thought I would start one for the PS Vita. I will maintain this site a few times a day going forward. Post links up to new deals and I will add them to the OP. Anyhow, here we go:

Updated 2/5/2014

Amazon:

Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational $15.50

Lumines- Electronic Symphony $18.49

MLB 12 The Show- $5.88

Silent Hill: Book of Memories- $11.68

Spy Hunter- $14.89

Gravity Rush- $18.53

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time- $19.12

Need for Speed: Most Wanted- $15.99

Persona 4 Golden - $19.99

Best Buy:

GameStop:

Call of Duty Black Ops: Declassified $19..99 New/ $17.99 Used

Last edited by a moderator:
The only reason I even go to Gamestop anymore is to abuse their return policy and their B2G1 free used games deals. I usually just buy the games, get the free one, and return the two I bought. For some reason, only two of my local gamestops actually let me do this.
Don't forget the $5 coupons.

Didn't a lawyer or some organization acting on the behalf of consumers try to sue Gamestop a few years ago because of this practice? I want to say I remember hearing about it back in the early 2000's, but maybe they were just fabricated stories or GS won the case, because the practice of "gutting" never changed.
That's the FTC I was mentioning. (Federal trade commission)
GS was found in violation of trade laws, GS paid a fee and gave some stuff back to consumers.. And promptly went back to the same old shit.

So yeah I use them as last resort, or abuse them like someone else mentioned.

The only reason I even go to Gamestop anymore is to abuse their return policy and their B2G1 free used games deals. I usually just buy the games, get the free one, and return the two I bought. For some reason, only two of my local gamestops actually let me do this.
..That's pretty shady, even by CAG standards.

That's the FTC I was mentioning. (Federal trade commission)
GS was found in violation of trade laws, GS paid a fee and gave some stuff back to consumers.. And promptly went back to the same old shit.

So yeah I use them as last resort, or abuse them like someone else mentioned.
I don't think it actually ever got that far. The only stuff I can find related to Gamestop and the FTC is the old Kotaku article and then a bunch of other sites linking to Kotaku's page. Kotaku asked the FTC to chime in and got a big "No comment". I can't find anything related to follow-up or whatnot.

I bitched once about the gutting and got into it big time with a GS manager back in the PS2 era, so it had to have been that early 2000's time frame. Got to the point that I almost thought he was going to come across the counter at me. He offered me 20% off because the game was gutted, but I was already too pissed off at the smart remarks he had made about it being "the same thing as new" and ended up walking out, the guy's face was beet red by then. I was in the military at the time and sure as hell didn't want to get an article 15 misconduct charge and I doubt he wanted to lose his job over it either. Appropriately enough, that GS closed down a few years later when they did the downsizing.  

oK2MFLo.png

Is it shady to sell an unwrapped game as new?  Yup.  Is it illegal?  Nope.  Is it TECHNICALLY misrepresenting the product?  No.  For all intents and purposes, it's been gutted to reduce the likelihood of theft, and kept in a locked drawer, unused.  I'm fully aware that not all of those discs go unused (employee "renting", etc), but at the same time I understand why they would have gutted copies.  Personally, I've never had a problem getting a sealed copy of any game I was interested in from them (either by preordering, or just asking when I went to buy it a day or two after launch), including collectors edition and small print run items.

If they started enforcing laws about how "new" meant "unopened, still sealed, never removed and stored apart", they would logically have to extend that to other forms of merchandise, because we live in a society that would take that and run with it for as many products as possible.  For instance (extreme example!!), "new" cars.  That car's been driven before, but the dealership is still going to sell it as new, and at new price, despite how many people have taken it on a test drive.  Even if you have them order one straight from the factory, that car has STILL been driven by someone else.

On topic, though, it's getting rough finding stores besides Best Buy with Vita inventory in my area.  Best Buy only has 3-4 titles, same with Target, Wal-Mart has nothin'.  Flash Sales, sustain me!

I bitched once about the gutting and got into it big time with a GS manager back in the PS2 era, so it had to have been that early 2000's time frame. Got to the point that I almost thought he was going to come across the counter at me. He offered me 20% off because the game was gutted, but I was already too pissed off at the smart remarks he had made about it being "the same thing as new" and ended up walking out, the guy's face was beet red by then. I was in the military at the time and sure as hell didn't want to get an article 15 misconduct charge and I doubt he wanted to lose his job over it either. Appropriately enough, that GS closed down a few years later when they did the downsizing.
This is exactly why I stopped shopping there. Plus I hate being asked 100 times if I want to pre-order any games. The last time I went to a GS was about a month ago when they gave crazy values for games I finished. The guy tells me about Batman and I tell them I have it pre-ordered already. He then tells me it's not in their system. I told him I have it pre-ordered at Best Buy because of GCU and the $10 cert. As long as BBY is around with GCU there's no reason to put yourself through the bullshit GS gives its customers, especially with gutted games.

...You guys know that not every store is a nightmare, right? Plenty of us have employees that are knowledgeable, friendly, and don't hassle you about preorders and such.

A lot of the time Gamestop doesn't have the best prices, but sometimes they do, especially for older used games. The way peopleccomplain about it as if it's universal, I should be saying no one should shop at Best Buy because I've had nothing but problems with them for months. But I'm not saying that - because my experience is not universal.

...You guys know that not every store is a nightmare, right? Plenty of us have employees that are knowledgeable, friendly, and don't hassle you about preorders and such.

A lot of the time Gamestop doesn't have the best prices, but sometimes they do, especially for older used games. The way peopleccomplain about it as if it's universal, I should be saying no one should shop at Best Buy because I've had nothing but problems with them for months. But I'm not saying that - because my experience is not universal.
I've never seen one of these magical GS stores you mentioned. Best Buy at least will compensate for a mix up or problem. Prime example the Batman AK Batmobile CE. Best Buy gave $50 credits for the mix up. GS says we'll give you the New 52 Skin DLC which was free for anybody.

So yeah Best Buy is the worst retailer!

Gamestop does have the best prices on certain items, at least. I picked up some PS2 network adapters and multitaps for 40 and 11 cents respectively. Now I'll wait a decade for PS2 to be considered vintage and flip them back to Gamestop for $20.

I've never seen one of these magical GS stores you mentioned. Best Buy at least will compensate for a mix up or problem. Prime example the Batman AK Batmobile CE. Best Buy gave $50 credits for the mix up. GS says we'll give you the New 52 Skin DLC which was free for anybody.
I would say for me, GS is a shitty company as far as corporate practices go. And the Batmobile incident is indeed a prime example, I know I don't "deserve" anything but since all of the competitors (Amazon, BBY) displayed generosity it leaves me kind of bitter. There are many more examples that we all know.

But when it comes to individual store associates, BBY has been horrible for me. Their trade-in system is a joke for Californians (fingerprints, DL scan and paper signatures), their cashiers are usually clueless about anything, and often times just chatting with other cashiers and mindlessly scanning my items. GS on the other hand, the stores on the nice neighborhoods (e.g. Irvine, Cupertino or Sunnyvale) have nice people that actually smiles (not meaning to provoke wink and hush jabs here) and talks to you. They ask you about how you are enjoying your games, and tells you about their promotions. Yeah it's all for you to spend more money on preorders, but as long as I'm polite when turning them down they usually understand that my financial situation cannot allow me to splurge.

Lost Dimensions is great, buy it.

Jesus, came into this thread looking for some cheap vita games after picking up freedom wars on ymmv clearance at Walmart for 10 bucks. What the hell did I walk into?

I would say for me, GS is a shitty company as far as corporate practices go. And the Batmobile incident is indeed a prime example, I know I don't "deserve" anything but since all of the competitors (Amazon, BBY) displayed generosity it leaves me kind of bitter. There are many more examples that we all know.

But when it comes to individual store associates, BBY has been horrible for me. Their trade-in system is a joke for Californians (fingerprints, DL scan and paper signatures), their cashiers are usually clueless about anything, and often times just chatting with other cashiers and mindlessly scanning my items. GS on the other hand, the stores on the nice neighborhoods (e.g. Irvine, Cupertino or Sunnyvale) have nice people that actually smiles (not meaning to provoke wink and hush jabs here) and talks to you. They ask you about how you are enjoying your games, and tells you about their promotions. Yeah it's all for you to spend more money on preorders, but as long as I'm polite when turning them down they usually understand that my financial situation cannot allow me to splurge.

Lost Dimensions is great, buy it.
That sucks TooPoor, my local BBYs employees are very helpful and only experienced 1 person that didn't know about how trade ins work so they got somebody to show them. Last night I traded in Batman AK and the lady was in her late 40's and knew everything including giving the 10% bonus. She even checked the gift card to make sure the credit was on there.

I agree that nobody should expect anything in return for the Batmobile cancelation but when other retailers offered something I knew GS would give their customers the shaft.

Lost Dimensions is on my radar.

Edit: liked post for knowing GS has shitty business practices. GS has burned bridges for me so there's no repairing it so I'll never see these nice employees you mention. When I went in a month or so ago I thought maybe it won't be the same experience as the past. Boy was I wrong!

I have 1 good gamestop.... for every 20 shitty ones. Gamestops not gonna get a pass just because one of their stores has some cool employees. It's not a secret that gamestop has some aggressive and sometimes outright shady sales practices.

If gamestop really wanted to solve the opened games issue, they could just print game covers and slip them in generic cases. But that would eat into corporates pockets.

I have 1 good gamestop.... for every 20 shitty ones. Gamestops not gonna get a pass just because one of their stores has some cool employees. It's not a secret that gamestop has some aggressive and sometimes outright shady sales practices.

If gamestop really wanted to solve the opened games issue, they could just print game covers and slip them in generic cases. But that would eat into corporates pockets.
Yeah even my local mom and pop store does that. They just make the excuse. Im sure with the volume they sell the game manufacturers would be willing to send display boxes.

Is it shady to sell an unwrapped game as new? Yup. Is it illegal? Nope. Is it TECHNICALLY misrepresenting the product? No. For all intents and purposes, it's been gutted to reduce the likelihood of theft, and kept in a locked drawer, unused. I'm fully aware that not all of those discs go unused (employee "renting", etc), but at the same time I understand why they would have gutted copies. Personally, I've never had a problem getting a sealed copy of any game I was interested in from them (either by preordering, or just asking when I went to buy it a day or two after launch), including collectors edition and small print run items.

If they started enforcing laws about how "new" meant "unopened, still sealed, never removed and stored apart", they would logically have to extend that to other forms of merchandise, because we live in a society that would take that and run with it for as many products as possible. For instance (extreme example!!), "new" cars. That car's been driven before, but the dealership is still going to sell it as new, and at new price, despite how many people have taken it on a test drive. Even if you have them order one straight from the factory, that car has STILL been driven by someone else.

On topic, though, it's getting rough finding stores besides Best Buy with Vita inventory in my area. Best Buy only has 3-4 titles, same with Target, Wal-Mart has nothin'. Flash Sales, sustain me!
Don't have the time right now but yes it is illegal.
Dues ex, GameStop pulled the codes inside that allowed you onlive access.
Tort law.

Granted the consumer can't do anything about that.. That's up to square.

Quick search shows GameStop has been sued 3 times, and lost all 3.
As far as the FTC part, looks like they *were* going to step in.. But didn't. I guess because GameStop agreed to change their ways.. Which all they have done was limit the number of "rentals" and rental time I guess. They must have so many copies on hand or they can't let an employee take a new copy home and then resale it as "new"

Regardless, GameStop is shady.

Keep in mind I'm talking about *gamestop corporate*
The employees are just following their orders. Many of them are useless dumbasses... But so are those at McDonald's etc.

Dues ex story from a long time ago, honestly don't know what happened in the end.
http://www.wired.com/2011/08/gamestop-onlive/

What really bugs me is that obnoxious sticker they put on the game case saying "NEW". Like fine, I was going to open it anyway, but why do you have to make it uglier on top of that  :wall:

Well I found a complete used copy of MMA for $20 at a local shop, but that probably doesn't help you much. It was also too steep for me since I have a $4 cart from GS already
I had it on my GS Wishlist and during one of my random checks it was available. I figured it would be cart only, but was surprised to see it was complete. I mention this as I saw it available a second time but it quickly disapeared.

What really bugs me is that obnoxious sticker they put on the game case saying "NEW". Like fine, I was going to open it anyway, but why do you have to make it uglier on top of that :wall:
That's GameStop for ya. At least they still have some good Vita deals there from time to time.

Excuse my apparent ignorance, but what is this "MMA" you guys are speaking of that's dissappearing quickly? Really hoping you aren't talking about that crummy mixed martial arts game with Jens Pulver...

I think people are basically picking it up for ~$5 now, before it becomes rare. It's better to know that you don't like it for $5, then to wonder if you would for $30.
Supremacy MMA on Vita has been worth $30+ for a while now. People finding it at their local GameStop are getting lucky.

Some Vita related deals:

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale $8.85 at Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002I0GZHW

LittleBigPlanet Vita $11.94 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0050SW2NA/

Thought provoking, intelligent conversations and non-aggressive logical debates. Which is fitting for Vita owners.

*gentlemen meme here*

#vitasterace
Disaster race?

Also, since when has bitching about GameStop been thought-provoking or intelligent? Because if that's always been the case, I was a frigging baby genius.

Excuse my apparent ignorance, but what is this "MMA" you guys are speaking of that's dissappearing quickly? Really hoping you aren't talking about that crummy mixed martial arts game with Jens Pulver...
It is very hard to find. And don't get me started about the prices on eBay. Whew.

cover_large.jpg

I thought the MMA game was alright. Of course at the time I was playing it, there weren't many Vita games out. In the beginning, I bought all that I could. (Still try to buy them all up)

Wow, so that really is the game you guys are talking about. I only played the PS3 version so I can't speak with complete merit on it I guess, but that version of Supremacy MMA is abhorrent in comparison to past UFC Undisputed games or even EA's MMA game with Randy Couture before they got the contract to do the UFC games from THQ. I remember Supremacy MMA's big pitch being that they worked with Jens Pulver and studied his moves and advice while making the game, but at the time he was already a broken and washed-out fighter who had been removed from the UFC after several straight losses and forced to the regional circuit. Kind of a sad story if you are an MMA fan, but Jens really was a badass at one time, he just didn't know when to stop. Wish him the best whatever he's doing now. 

Don't have the time right now but yes it is illegal.
Dues ex, GameStop pulled the codes inside that allowed you onlive access.
Tort law.

Granted the consumer can't do anything about that.. That's up to square.

Quick search shows GameStop has been sued 3 times, and lost all 3.
As far as the FTC part, looks like they *were* going to step in.. But didn't. I guess because GameStop agreed to change their ways.. Which all they have done was limit the number of "rentals" and rental time I guess. They must have so many copies on hand or they can't let an employee take a new copy home and then resale it as "new"

Regardless, GameStop is shady.

Keep in mind I'm talking about *gamestop corporate*
The employees are just following their orders. Many of them are useless dumbasses... But so are those at McDonald's etc.

Dues ex story from a long time ago, honestly don't know what happened in the end.
http://www.wired.com/2011/08/gamestop-onlive/
The Deus Ex incident isn't really the same thing as just storing the disc separate, though. They were actually removing part of the product and then not including it when said product was sold. What I'm referring to is just the act of removing the game disc, storing it separate from the case/manual/inserts, and then putting the disc back with the case when selling the item, which is totally legal. Now, if they were selling you a new copy of a PS4 game and removed a DLC voucher that was supposed to be included, yes, then they're in a bind. But as long as you're still getting everything you would have otherwise, nope, not illegal.

As far as the lawsuits they've faced... Two were due to Used games not stating that any free DLC packaged with the game may have been redeemed and thus not free. The third was actually managers suing saying they should be eligible for overtime. I haven't found any that are actually in regards to them selling opened games as new.

**I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, I just don't get the angry mob, pitchfork wielding mentality. But I also don't buy games to keep them sealed on a shelf, I buy them to play.

The Deus Ex incident isn't really the same thing as just storing the disc separate, though. They were actually removing part of the product and then not including it when said product was sold. What I'm referring to is just the act of removing the game disc, storing it separate from the case/manual/inserts, and then putting the disc back with the case when selling the item, which is totally legal. Now, if they were selling you a new copy of a PS4 game and removed a DLC voucher that was supposed to be included, yes, then they're in a bind. But as long as you're still getting everything you would have otherwise, nope, not illegal.

As far as the lawsuits they've faced... Two were due to Used games not stating that any free DLC packaged with the game may have been redeemed and thus not free. The third was actually managers suing saying they should be eligible for overtime. I haven't found any that are actually in regards to them selling opened games as new.

**I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, I just don't get the angry mob, pitchfork wielding mentality. But I also don't buy games to keep them sealed on a shelf, I buy them to play.
Law is the second the packaging is opened, it's no longer new.

Mine's coming from BBY today, thanks to GCU. The traitor system sold me, otherwise I thought it was just going to be a standard SRPG.
I'm quite enjoying the combat, which is very similar to Valkyria Chronicles 1 on the PS3. And a pretty deep skill tree for each character.

Still trying to get the hang of the traitor system.

Pretty shady i'd say it's outright stealing.
I don't disagree with you, but it's not like they can't deny my returns or anything. The receipt says that an employee can deny returns without cause. I'm honestly shocked that not a lot of people do this. Must be because I have no morals when it comes to taking free things from greedy companies.

I don't disagree with you, but it's not like they can't deny my returns or anything. The receipt says that an employee can deny returns without cause. I'm honestly shocked that not a lot of people do this. Must be because I have no morals when it comes to taking free things from greedy companies.
Or maybe because you just don't have any morals, period. No reason to try to justify it, your crappy justification and lack of decency is pretty clear to everyone here.

EDIT: "GHOULexe - Member since 15 July 2015, 4 posts total, one neutral feedback". Wow, a newbie who basically just self-destructed before he even started posting here. Pretty sad. You might want to delete your profile and start a new one, this one is trashed, lol. :wave:

LMAO you the type of dude who puts soda when asking for a water cup in restaurants

bread's done
Back