PS2 going down to $129.99 this week

I've had my PS2 for years now, but a $20 drop wouldn't have interested me. If I was waiting, I'd wait until they hit $99 myself. (Mine hasn't got a lot of use lately, besides MGS:3 and DDR.)

Unfortunately all the games that interest me on the PS2 are RPGs or Guitar Hero (I'm sure there are a lot more great games, but I haven't paid attention since I haven't planned on buying one)... and RPGs would never get played with the 80 game backlog I have. By the time I get through all those, the PS3 (after a couple price drops) would probably be a better investment if I still wanted to play and could find those games.

And to answer the recurrent and apparently contentious question of how people don't have a PS2 yet... outside of fanboyism, which I am occasionally :)shock:) guilty of, a lot of us don't have the time to make more than one console cost-effective. I chose the GameCube over the Xbox two years ago when deciding which console to buy, and obviously I have found more than enough games to keep me busy. If I bought another console, one of them would gather dust, or they'd both be used half as much. Either way, hard to justify another $100-$200 on hardware.

[quote name='M3wThr33']Wow. There's a shitton of biased idiots in this thread.
So many people missing out on so much.[/quote]You just said shitton. That fucking rocks.

btw what the hell is a shitton?

[quote name='psiufoxx2']You just said shitton. That fucking rocks.

btw what the hell is a shitton?[/QUOTE]
A ton-weight of shit.

My fat ps2 is working fine, so (like Justin Timberlake) I can't 'justify' getting one just yet. I'll eventually need a backup PS2, so hopefully that will be $99.

the PS2 is really worth it for Super Trucks Racing. Not to mention they're the only console to get for sprint car and drag racing games. You can also play evergrace, godai elemental force, and Metal Gear Solid 2. LOL

Problem was that, even with a pricedrop like this, I still would have scoured local ads and whatnot for better deals from college students selling their own stuff.

That and, honestly, I preferred the ol' fat PS2 if only for the HDD support. Since dorm rooms still don't tend to offer all that much extra room I picked up a copy of HDAdvance just to transfer most of the games I would play during the year onto the HDD. Pop it into the system, have the 25-something games I'd play on there, and save a load of shelf space. Nice and easy for me with far less money spent on shipping costs.

And the real kicker, students around here tend to sell off their systems when they need to make rent, so great-condition PS2s and GCs and XBoxes go for around $40 to $60 with plenty of extra games and accessories (since who needs controllers and headsets when the system is gone?). Nothing like buying a PS2 and being able to trade-in/sell the extra stuff you don't need to pretty much make the entire system free!

But $129.99? Ouch. I mean, that's great for the people who are still waiting for further price drops (there are plenty of people like that still out there from what I've been overhearing at EB as of late) but it just seems like a small step. I have a feeling that most people are still holding out for $100 at the very least.

[quote name='gizmogc']Some people, get this, DON'T like Sony. Yep. You heard it here first.[/QUOTE]

just like me, the only thing I bought one in christmas.........

Yeah what is the deal with these tiny $20 price drops? Didn't every system before the PS2 have $50 price drops?
Yeah, but the only problem is that no console in history (correct me if I'm wrong) has sold so many damn units as the PS2. They have no reason to slash their prices by $50 at a time, they are still selling tons of these things with each small drop.

[quote name='gizmogc']I have no interested on games on PS2. If the game comes out for all consoles, I'd get it on Xbox first (Better Graphics, harddrive). Very few PS2 exclusive games interest me.

For me, buying a PS2 for its games would be the equivilant of buying a 3D0 for its games.[/QUOTE]

so you don't like video games?

oh and btw, i think you took a wrong turn after gamespot, you take a LEFT to get to gamefaqs.

[quote name='Purkeynator']Yeah what is the deal with these tiny $20 price drops? Didn't every system before the PS2 have $50 price drops?[/QUOTE]

this price drop is a gift, Sony could've just kept the PS2 at $149 with the way is still selling

i've still got a 30001 which, with proper cleaning, still works great. my xbox that i used for 4 months before it burnt out is sitting in the closet, so i haven't been able to play anything past Deus Ex 2, Halo, max paynes, and KotOR since it fried. i really need another xbox.

[quote name='the3rdkey']A real gamer owns all systems and a two million dollar computer that gives out free blow jobs.[/quote]

It doesn't give BJ's, but I have an as/400...Does that count?

I'm tempted to get one. I like cheap. And there's lots of great cheap games for it. Must resist tho. I have too many games to play as it is.

Anyone know how much i can get back for a fatty at Ebgames? I'm thinking of trading that in and getting some money to get a slim. The fatty i got is a launch one and its dying. Amazing though it can read everything but its slow as balls.

[quote name='screwkick']Still $129.99 too much.[/quote]

Not really , i might get one now only because sony still supports it.

Yeah, a system for 129.99 with online games for 30 dollars and under, a ridiculous amount of excellent single player-games that still has some excellent titles on the way, what a ripoff!

Saying the PS2 is devoid of quality software is like calling the SNES unnecessary.

The PS2 is a great system. I just bought one in January. With my Xbox I thought the PS2 was not worthy of a purchase. However, I must say that I have been playing games on the PS2 more than my other systems. I hope the $20 price drop is a short one because this thing needs to hit $99.

I have a feeling it will hit $99 once Xbox 360s are sitting on the shelves everywhere. If the PS2 sells out everywhere while Xbox 360s sit MS may have to drop the price to pick up sales over the summer months.

im glad the ps2 is dropping in price. I know its only $20 , but thats just the incentive i need to replace the one i've been having issues with.

I've had 2 PS2s die (though the first got a free repair), though I've had 3 XBOXs die. I was able to replace all 3 XBOXs without spending much, but not so with my 2nd PS2, so I'm not buying another until it goes to at least sub-$100 level. On the plus side I was able to sell most of my 50+ PS2 games (it was my favorite system before) after the second PS2 died (as well as selling the PS2 for $60).

I personally don't see a $20 price drop moving a lot more units off shelves. Sales will pick up a little, but at this point I think that most people have held out so long they are waiting for it to hit $99 (like several have stated on this thread) or are already looking at the next gen (X360, PS3, so on).

I was lucky enough to pick up my PS2 and a bunch of games off of a friend of mine for $90 and have been enjoying it quite a bit. However, I would not pay $120 and then more on games when the 360 is out and the PS3 and Revolution are on the way.

I don't think it'll make it sell more than ever, but I think it will sell out current stocks. The price drop is a great deal, there are tons of birthdays spring/summer, and this will make EXCELLENT graduation gifts, college acceptance gifts, and summer toys. The new slim models are ultra quiet and very reliable, if you don't have a PS2, go ahead and buy it $149 and price match, you'll be happy you did. I think Gamecrazy might be the best deal though, with the free rentals. Fry's 7 game bundle should drop in price too.

Nice try, Sony. But, I REFUSE to buy another PS2 till it drops to AT LEAST $99. Or maybe now, I'll hold out till $49.

Either way, I had my unfair share of PS2s(including the 2 craptacular ones I had from just one year after launch). They both must've been 35001's, as they started dying at 6 months and one year respectively.

I had other PS2s also, between one getting tripped over and another just being a pos I bought to have as my 'travel' system(it scratched discs of mine every time), I've gone through enough of these things to know they are trash.

So, if Sony wants another DIME from me, either I'm gonna trade in a $10 cheapy game I get at TRU and get $50 in credit for it at Walmart 3 times over to get the $150 in credit to buy it OR I'll just wait till it drops the OTHER $30.

I am NOT gonna be that stupid AGAIN to buy ANOTHER PS2, NOT at $129, unless I'm getting it on the cheap.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']I've had 2 PS2s die (though the first got a free repair), though I've had 3 XBOXs die. I was able to replace all 3 XBOXs without spending much, but not so with my 2nd PS2, so I'm not buying another until it goes to at least sub-$100 level. On the plus side I was able to sell most of my 50+ PS2 games (it was my favorite system before) after the second PS2 died (as well as selling the PS2 for $60).[/QUOTE]

how did you cheaply replace your xboxes?

[quote name='Purkeynator']Yeah what is the deal with these tiny $20 price drops? Didn't every system before the PS2 have $50 price drops?[/QUOTE]

The ps1 and the n64 dropped from $149.99 to $129.99 also. Might not hit $99 until the ps3.

[quote name='NeoStrider']this price drop is a gift, Sony could've just kept the PS2 at $149 with the way is still selling[/QUOTE]
I agree. I've been in my local Gamestop 3 times just recently, and every time there was someone buying a used PS2 (for $119!) It seems the demand for PS2's is still pretty high.

I finally bought a PS2 a few years ago in a really good bundle deal at Comp USA. In fact, it was a better deal than I thought when I went in because the ad said it included a Memory Card, which it wasn't supposed to. I pointed out that I was supposed to get one and after much consultation they finally threw it in.

Anyway, my point is that I rarely see any kind of decent bundle for PS2's. They'll throw in something really crappy like a free Jampack or DVD remote. That tells me that they're still selling well on their own.

[quote name='Purkeynator']I wonder how many of these people buying a PS2 are replacing a busted one though..........[/QUOTE]
Why would that make a difference? Bottom line is PS2's are still selling well.

hummm....
It is getting close to April 20. It is kind of quiet in terms of news. You would expect bestbuy/circuitcity/gamestop etc. employees to make a little noise on this board about this. Is this price drop only at Toys R Us? Oh well, guess we'll all find out in 2 days.

[quote name='wbc1228']hummm....
It is getting close to April 20. It is kind of quiet in terms of news. You would expect bestbuy/circuitcity/gamestop etc. employees to make a little noise on this board about this. Is this price drop only at Toys R Us? Oh well, guess we'll all find out in 2 days.[/QUOTE]

Uuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

..... I got nothing to say.

[quote name='oremites']Why would that make a difference? Bottom line is PS2's are still selling well.[/QUOTE]

It matters because if Sony made hardware that was worth a damn they probably would have sold only 80 million instead of 100 million.

[quote name='Purkeynator']It matters because if Sony made hardware that was worth a damn they probably would have sold only 80 million instead of 100 million.[/QUOTE]
Hardware that's not worth a damn doesn't sell 100 million units. There's obviously a lot of people that think a PS2 is a good buy even knowing that some day it's going to break.

I think it's funny that on the one hand, people want a $99 PS2, while on the other hand they want a console that lasts forever. You can have cheap and you can you have superior quality but not both. And Sony has to figure out where the happy medium is while pissing off the least number of people and making a profit at the same time.

[quote name='oremites']You can have cheap and you can you have superior quality but not both.[/QUOTE]
You should really alert Nintendo about that. They've been violating this rule since the NES! Sega too didn't obey with many of their console offerings.

[quote name='daroga']You should really alert Nintendo about that. They've been violating this rule since the NES! Sega too didn't obey with many of their console offerings.[/QUOTE]
DS isnt very durable, and many GC's have gotten DRE's...mine included. My friends is on the edge...sometimes it wont recognize a game and sometimes it will.

I do agree though that *most* of Nintendo's stuff is pretty high quality.

[quote name='xboxowns']I'm kicking myself for not getting a PS2 at least a year ago. Now I'm thinking whether or not to get a PS2 in its dying days, even with a pricedrop.[/QUOTE]

Unlike Microsoft, Sony will continue to support the system for years to come....

It can get pretty sick scrolling through all these fanboy posts ripping this or that machine. These are two MASSIVE CORPORATIONS who spend billions of dollars to brand their names in your conscience so that they can more easily get you to drop your pants -- and when you publicly claim your loyalty to either, it doesn't make you a fan, it makes you a CORPORATE WHORE.

The only things that matter to the buyer, or should matter, are games. Am I getting my money's worth? My Xbox now has lots of great games for $20 or less. The PS2 now has lots of great games for $20 or less. The Cube now has lots of some great games for $20 or less.... I want to play as many of those games as I can as quickly as I can. Whether I bite and buy the PS2 at $129 depends on whether or not I'll have the time to play the $20 Xbox games I have plus the $20 PS2 games I'll buy before the price drops again -- and whether that period of time is worth....$30.

It doesn't depend on whether or not Sony gives me the same reach-around Microsoft did when they jammed their corporate cock up my ass. Either way, I'm still getting fucked.

We're all slaves to these money masters in one sense or another. It's pretty disgusting when you come off as if you enjoy it. \\:D/

Damn, i just bought a ps2 a couple of weeks ago, luckily i have a decent job so that the price differential does not matter much. Also, I bought the thing as a bundle at costco so I already came in at about $20 under msrp for games and accesories that I was going to be buying anyways. Also, while almost every nintendo system that I have bought has been bulletproof (perfectly working launch cube, three gameboys that have been through the ringer, and a perfectly working nes, snes, virtual boy {i know that was a dumb purchase}, and a 9 year old n64) except for the first DS that I had where i cracked the top screen (second one still going strong)

So what do you think the used price will be at gamestop? Not that I'll do it, it's never enough difference to make it worth it. I'm just surprised more people aren't bringing that up. My Xbox and GC have been enough to satiate my current gen appetite for now, not to mention every other Nintendo home console and my Dreamcast. But I would love to be able to peruse all 3 used racks at the store! I know I'm nuts. I have a lot of games to catch up to... but I have been amassing a trade-in pile for quite some time...

If not for Nintendo dropping their SNES CD drive add on project that was being spearheaded by SONY, we may never have even HAD the Playstation, let alone the PS2.

And you know, if that happened, I think I would be happier because I wouldn't have spent $300 on a console from them that started acting up on me within 6 flippin' months.

And, then I wouldn't have used my replacement guarantee to get another one that broke down within a flippin year.

So, for people to say that the $149 price is 'reasonable' has never had this happen to them. I don't and WON'T squander good money on a Sony console, unless I get it super cheap.

I wonder if FYE still has the $30 rebate deal going on at any stores, maybe then I can use the fact that the sign is still up there as a loophole on Thursday if the price drops universally, to get the PS2 for $100 after rebate.

[quote name='Scholarly_Sam']I refuse to buy a PS2 unless it is $99 or less, new.

Its old ass hardware, the origional Xbox is such a better deal(hardware wise).[/quote]

EXACTLY!

[quote name='Scholarly_Sam']I refuse to buy a PS2 unless it is $99 or less, new.

Its old ass hardware, the origional Xbox is such a better deal(hardware wise).[/QUOTE]

The very last part of your post is true. However, PS2 has so many must-play games (get them however) that it becomes a must for gamers. Ratchet series, GT series, Jak series, BC with 90%+ PS titles, all the anime/manga titles and imports, etc. I don't even care about most of the stuff that comes out of Japan, and I still think the system is great. Do I wish it had more oomph with graphics? You betcha. But it really doesn't take away from gameplay. How do you know something sucks until you try it long term?

Its old ass hardware, the origional Xbox is such a better deal(hardware wise).[/QUOTE]
Yes! You can fit 7 PS2's in the case of one Xbox, which makes the Xbox a better deal!

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If not for Nintendo dropping their SNES CD drive add on project that was being spearheaded by SONY, we may never have even HAD the Playstation, let alone the PS2.

And you know, if that happened, I think I would be happier because I wouldn't have spent $300 on a console from them that started acting up on me within 6 flippin' months.[/QUOTE]
Yes, because we wouldn't have had a Dreamcast, because the Saturn would've owned the market, maybe not. No PS1, PS2, or PS3. No Xbox because there's no Sony to show how successful they could be, so no Xbox 360 as a result. No Revolution because games wouldn't have become stale 10 years later. No DS because Sony wouldn't have tried to enter the portable race, and of course no PSP. Would you be happier then? Nothing you've liked in the past 10 years or coming in the near future would be around now, most likely. Would you like that?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']So, for people to say that the $149 price is 'reasonable' has never had this happen to them. I don't and WON'T squander good money on a Sony console, unless I get it super cheap.[/QUOTE]

I've never had a PS2 console break because of Sony's "incompetent" manfuacturing process. What happens to one person doesn't happen to all people, those that have had it happens are a part of the vast minority of people that have PS2's.

Game-wise, the PS2 has a huge advantage of every other system with its exclusive games (with the exception of FPS, which the Xbox owns) and I've been extremely satisfied with the system since Day 1 five and a half years ago. From the great launch lineup to the big year that the system looks to have this year, there's not much reason to not own PS2 unless you're simply not a fan of the RPG's, rthym games, platformers, action, and the other obscure games that the system has accumulated over the years.

bread's done
Back