PS3 101: New user's guide to the PS3 (ask questions here -- TMK is on duty)

Is there any way to sort out the demos between the real games that I have purchased/downloaded? I hate having all the demos cluttered within my real games. Is there any way to make 2 seperate folders or anything like that?

[quote name='Walt Jay']Quick cable question. Something like this would work well?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024004&p_id=2412&style=&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Yep. It will work as well as the top-dollar HDMI cables, and you'll feel smarter for saving so much money.

I set up TwonkyVision to stream media to my PS3, but it tends to disconnect after 30 seconds to a minute. I'll play a video or song, for example, and it will cut out and return to the XMB. Seconds later, the Twonky servers will show up again. Any ideas? My MacBook is mostly connected wirelessly, so I tried connecting it w/ an ethernet cable, and had the same issues. Yikes. Overall, though, it's a very easy to use program for media streaming. I likes it. If I can get it to work consistently, I'd like it a lot.

[quote name='mykevermin']Yep. It will work as well as the top-dollar HDMI cables, and you'll feel smarter for saving so much money.

I set up TwonkyVision to stream media to my PS3, but it tends to disconnect after 30 seconds to a minute. I'll play a video or song, for example, and it will cut out and return to the XMB. Seconds later, the Twonky servers will show up again. Any ideas? My MacBook is mostly connected wirelessly, so I tried connecting it w/ an ethernet cable, and had the same issues. Yikes. Overall, though, it's a very easy to use program for media streaming. I likes it. If I can get it to work consistently, I'd like it a lot.[/QUOTE]

Twonky is a mess for me, so I'd like to know too.

I'm using an iBook G4.

[quote name='mykevermin']Yep. It will work as well as the top-dollar HDMI cables, and you'll feel smarter for saving so much money.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. :cool:

This may or may not be old news: for those that might be using 3rd party memory cards, they don't work well (read: at all) with the memory card adapter. You'll want to put all the saves to bring over to PS3 on 1st party cards before you make the switch.

I didn't know about this, so I lost a bunch of PS1 saves because I don't have my fat model PS2 anymore.

[quote name='Skexis']This may or may not be old news: for those that might be using 3rd party memory cards, they don't work well (read: at all) with the memory card adapter. You'll want to put all the saves to bring over to PS3 on 1st party cards before you make the switch.

I didn't know about this, so I lost a bunch of PS1 saves because I don't have my fat model PS2 anymore.[/QUOTE]

My 3rd party PS2 mem card worked fine on it. I don't see that it's a problem with all 3rd party models.

[quote name='shadylane']hey guys my tv has an optical output like this http://www.davestv.net/images/KDLX40XBR2Back.jpg. would i be able to connect everything through hdmi into my tv and then output and audio from ps3, dvd, etc through the single optical out into my reciever? how do you guys have your ps3 audio hooked up through hdmi?[/quote]I'm guessing your receiver has only 1 optical in?

Sounds like it would work that way, though I'm not sure whether or not you'd get the Dolby Digital signal or if it'll be lost in translation.

I connect PS3 to TV via HDMI, and optical out to the receiver.
I'll be upgrading though soon and won't need the optical anymore.

I finally tried to stream content from my PC, to my PS3, and it worked well. Still can't get videos to stream though, but I'm working on that (they should work, since they are basically PS Store videos copied to my PS3). For fun, I tried to access them via remote play, and it worked (playing music from my PC, to PS3, to PSP via remote play is too awesome).

Although it's at the Official PS Boards, if anyone wants to know a program on streaming content from their computer to PS3, check it out. Gives a list of programs too.
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3media&thread.id=44882

[quote name='chodax']Is there any way to sort out the demos between the real games that I have purchased/downloaded? I hate having all the demos cluttered within my real games. Is there any way to make 2 seperate folders or anything like that?[/quote]

bump

since this is a faq of sorts, here is my noob question:

i read that you have to convert media to a PS3 compatible format and/or you can stream over WMP11/Nero home.

since you can install linux on the ps3, can you install an app like VLC and simply ftp avi's over to watch?

i LOVE having XBMC on my xbox1.

[quote name='Scorch']Can all games be installed so they can load faster (please let Oblivion be installable) or is it just some games?[/quote]

Oblivion does an auto-install. Takes up around 4 gigs. Funny thing is that i didnt even know it happened (it happens during the opening bethesda/2k logo sequence). Kind of hard to believe considering that games like Sigma took forever to install (and yet sigma is a smaller install than oblivion).

[quote name='dallow']Not yet Chodax, which is a real bummer.
I have way too many things.

A FW update will remedy this.[/QUOTE]

I'm with chodax... it's annoying as fuck to have this stuff all mixed together.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I'm with chodax... it's annoying as fuck to have this stuff all mixed together.[/quote]

Only one way to get this solved... a petition!!

[quote name='wowimsocute']since this is a faq of sorts, here is my noob question:

i read that you have to convert media to a PS3 compatible format and/or you can stream over WMP11/Nero home.

since you can install linux on the ps3, can you install an app like VLC and simply ftp avi's over to watch?

i LOVE having XBMC on my xbox1.[/quote]Anyone?

I'll update the OP sometime tomorrow. Been kind of busy.

[quote name='Bezerker']Oblivion does an auto-install. Takes up around 4 gigs. Funny thing is that i didnt even know it happened (it happens during the opening bethesda/2k logo sequence). Kind of hard to believe considering that games like Sigma took forever to install (and yet sigma is a smaller install than oblivion).[/quote]

Good to know. And i'm sure the disc has to be in the drive even after being installed. I can't wait to give this a shot.. Tuesday!

Yeah, regarding gamesharing.. can someone explain that?

Someone else can buy Tekken and "share" it with me and I get it for free?

[quote name='Scorch']Yeah, regarding gamesharing.. can someone explain that?

Someone else can buy Tekken and "share" it with me and I get it for free?[/QUOTE]

There's a game sharing thread floating around, but in simple terms...

I give you my loggin name + password.

You create a new user on your ps3 and loggin with my name and password.

Download tekken to your PS3

keep that new user on your ps3, but you never have to log into it again (just make sure it stays on your system!)

You can now play tekken whenever you want.

I change my password back so you can't pull any shenanigans ;)

To anyone other than that fuckwad, The Mana Knight.

First, is there a way to use wired PS2 controllers on the PS3. Specifically a Hori Real Arcade Pro 2 and my PS2 Sega Saturn pads.

Second, can USB gamepads be used on the PS3. I'm specifically wondering for my Sega Saturn USB pad. If I can't use the PS2 version, this one would work just as well.

Finally, other than the potential controller issue, is there any reason to keep my old US fat and slim PS2s (one of each) around?

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='Halo05']Finally, other than the potential controller issue, is there any reason to keep my old US fat and slim PS2s (one of each) around?[/QUOTE]

PS1/2 imports?

[quote name='Halo05']To anyone other than that fuckwad, The Mana Knight.

First, is there a way to use wired PS2 controllers on the PS3. Specifically a Hori Real Arcade Pro 2 and my PS2 Sega Saturn pads.
Thanks in advance.[/quote]http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=802566
The pelican adapter seems to be the choice when it comes to using wired controllers on the ps2. I've also tried my hrap on it and it plays flawlessly

Nice, thanks youse guys.

The PS1/2 imports are taken care of by my Japanese PS2 which isn't going anywhere until it dies and blows up on me.

Ok, so as of now, can you use wallpaper on your PS3 or is there wallpaper there for you to use?

And how long does it usually take to complete downloads (i.e.-Tekken 5:DR, 555MB )

[quote name='Azumangaman']Ok, so as of now, can you use wallpaper on your PS3 or is there wallpaper there for you to use?

And how long does it usually take to complete downloads (i.e.-Tekken 5:DR, 555MB )[/QUOTE]

As far as I know, the wallpaper is non-changeable.

It's hard to answer your second question, as people's internet connections vary. Personally a 555MB download would take me roughly 30 minutes, assuming it goes 300 kb/s.

I'd really like for them to create a separate folder for game demos like some have suggested, as they really clutter up PSN games you've purchased.

[quote name='WebScud']Why are they okay with HDD upgrades when a third-party HDMI cable will void you warranty? Or was that just a rumor?[/quote]Just a standard way to cover themselves.

[quote name='WebScud']I know. That's totally understandable.

But I still find it odd saying "go, upgrade your hard drive!"[/quote]
Hehe, forgot to mention that, but yeah, it is weird. Oh well, they'll never have to know.

[quote name='shrike4242']For the curious, this is the link on the Sony website for their ESP (Extended Service Plan) for any of their products:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=27211

Shows they have 2-4 year plans for the PS3 that'll cover repair, as well as plans that add in accidental damage protection.[/quote]

but..

Gaming and Entertainment Service Plans cover Playstation®2 systems, PlayStation® Portable and AIBO® entertainment robots.

Where does it say it covers the PS3?

[quote name='shrike4242']For the curious, this is the link on the Sony website for their ESP (Extended Service Plan) for any of their products:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...0551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=27211

Shows they have 2-4 year plans for the PS3 that'll cover repair, as well as plans that add in accidental damage protection.[/QUOTE]

wow, I have yet to read the terms, but those are some very fairly priced contracts.

ESP GAMING AND ENT $500-$750
2 Year Service Plan $34.99
Add To Cart
3 Year Service Plan $49.99
Add To Cart
2 Year Service Plan with Accidental Damage from Handling $56.99
Add To Cart
4 Year Service Plan $74.99
Add To Cart
3 Year Service Plan with Accidental Damage from Handling $79.99
Add To Cart
4 Year Service Plan with Accidental Damage from Handling $119.99
Add To Cart

[quote name='Scorch']but..

Where does it say it covers the PS3?[/quote]It doesn't list it specifically, though I've sent some emails back and forth with them when I was thinking about trying to find a used PS2 20GB from EBStop or GC, and they mentioned that it did. Their site isn't updated to reflect that yet, so they told me.

Plus, it's on the dollar amount of the product, so the prices Apossum posted are for the $500-$750 item. PS3 should be in the $250-$500 level of pricing, which is a bit cheaper.

[quote name='Apossum']wow, I have yet to read the terms, but those are some very fairly priced contracts.[/quote]The 2 year is a rip for the single year it gives you, the 3 year and 4 year prices are much better values. 3 year is slightly less per year than the 4 year, though it's the difference of a couple dollars per year.

[quote name='shrike4242']
The 2 year is a rip for the single year it gives you, the 3 year and 4 year prices are much better values. 3 year is slightly less per year than the 4 year, though it's the difference of a couple dollars per year.[/QUOTE]

ohhh...it overlaps with the regular warranty?

I forgot about that. There's a law in WI that requires extended warranties to start after the manufacturer period. at least, that's how it works in stores.

[quote name='Apossum']ohhh...it overlaps with the regular warranty?

I forgot about that. There's a law in WI that requires extended warranties to start after the manufacturer period. at least, that's how it works in stores.[/quote]Yes, they do:

Service Plans for Portable Electronics begin immediately upon the date of product purchase and extend the coverage period up to the term selected.

So, the 2/3/4 year warranty plans are actually for 1/2/3 years additional coverage. No surprise there, like some other vendors do, it's clearly inclusive.

Alright I combed the thread and didn't find anything about...

Can the Xbox 360 Guitar Hero II guitar be used on the PS3? Ya know, to play the PS2 versions of GH1, GH2 and the upcoming GH 80's.

[quote name='Halo05']Alright I combed the thread and didn't find anything about...

Can the Xbox 360 Guitar Hero II guitar be used on the PS3? Ya know, to play the PS2 versions of GH1, GH2 and the upcoming GH 80's.[/quote]No.
It's also best to play GH on PS2.

Not very friendly on PS3, even with an adapter.
GH3 can't come soon enough.

Ok, I really want a PS3 and X360, and have the money for the most expensive versions, I just dont know which "version" is better and why? Could someone maybe help >_>

[quote name='Riyonuk']Ok, I really want a PS3 and X360, and have the money for the most expensive versions, I just dont know which "version" is better and why? Could someone maybe help >_>[/quote]There's only 1 version of the ps3 and that's the 60gb.

[quote name='apokalipze2']There's only 1 version of the ps3 and that's the 60gb.[/quote]

..not really, most stores still have 20gb versions laying around

Ah, I was thinking officially. In that case I would go with the 20gb since it could be had for around $400.00+ and it's the same as the 60gb minus the wifi and card readers

[quote name='Bezerker']Oblivion does an auto-install. Takes up around 4 gigs. Funny thing is that i didnt even know it happened (it happens during the opening bethesda/2k logo sequence). Kind of hard to believe considering that games like Sigma took forever to install (and yet sigma is a smaller install than oblivion).[/quote]

Probably because Oblivion didn't install fully. There's no way. The load times are still quite lengthy on it. Ninja Gaiden Sigma only took like four or five minutes.

I just bought mine on Monday, but I can't open it up until Saturday. Well I can, it's just I have some things to take care of, anywho I have a coupla questions.

Did anyone buy the Product Replacement Plan for those that bought it at a retailer? I still have 30 days to do it, I was wondering if it was necessary.

Also, I kinda skimmed most of this topic and I don't think it was answered.

I know when you transfer PS2 memory card info over, it creates a virtual memory card. I remember reading around launch time, if you had multiple cards, it would create multiple virtual cards. For example: If you have two PS2 memory cards, it will create 2 Virtual Memory cards. Is that still the case or is there a way to set the size for a PS2 Virtual card and dump all the contents there?

I gots another question: Why might someone want to install linux on their ps3? Make it into a private server? Code for the ps3? Emulators? Homebrew? Just so they can say they did?

bread's done
Back