PS3 101: New user's guide to the PS3 (ask questions here -- TMK is on duty)

[quote name='shadylane']will demos continue to download in the background when playing ps/2/3 games?[/quote]You can play PS1 downloads or disc based games while downloading. You can play PS3 games (not during online play) while downloading. PS2 games you can't, because you're signed off of PSN (due to switching to PS2 hardware mode, and some PS2 games are online on a different network). DVDs and blu-ray disc can't be played either while downloading, but downloadable videos and music can be played while downloading.

why won't it take my credit card information? where can i buy pre paid ones?
That's kind of strange, it should work. I used a different card holder for mine, and had no problems.
[quote name='Scorch']..no it wouldn't. they could make it a universal thing kinda like how Microsoft does.. then it wouldn't cost the developers a penny.
[/QUOTE]Right now on PS3, to implement voicechat, a dev has to do all the dirty work, which is why devs don't always do it. Even if Sony required it, more games just wouldn't have online play to begin with.

is your downloading of demos and video's kinda slow? i have high speed internet going wireless to my ps3 and for some reason it's been taking forever.

is it ok if i leave it on overnight once in a while for downloading??

is there an option for the games not to automatically play when turning on the machine because i like to leave my discs in there.

and my last question is. what does it mean to add another os? is that possible?

[quote name='shadylane']is your downloading of demos and video's kinda slow? i have high speed internet going wireless to my ps3 and for some reason it's been taking forever.

is there an option for the games not to automatically play when turning on the machine because i like to leave my discs in there.

and my last question is. what does it mean to add another os? is that possible?[/quote]
-Downloads are slow every once and a while for me too. It is weird, but usual.

-I leave my PS3 running Folding@home a lot. So yes it is fine to run through the night or... All day like someone people have theirs doing.

-Yes go to settings/system settings, and turn off disc auto start.

-OS= Operating System. Someone else can go into details on that if they want. :)

[quote name='shadylane']is your downloading of demos and video's kinda slow? i have high speed internet going wireless to my ps3 and for some reason it's been taking forever.

and my last question is. what does it mean to add another os? is that possible?[/QUOTE]If you download in the evening (especially around 7pm-12am), downloads will be slow due to the higher traffic on PSN. Thursday is usually the day PSN downloads take the longest to download.

Yes, it is. I usually have my PS3 download games overnight because the speed is quicker.

Change a setting, to ask that if a game is in the console, not to automatically start a console.

Some people add Linux to their PS3.

[quote name='shadylane']does gameshark and all those cheat devices work on the ps3?[/QUOTE]PS1 Game Shark will not work, since PS3 does not have that same port the original PS1 had on the back. I doubt the PS2 one works, since I think you needed to use a memory card slot for it (and PS3 only copies data from/to a virtual memory card, that's 1st party).

Ok, I tried setting up the streaming media dealio from WMP 11. No go... PS3 can't find a server. Here's my situation... I'm in a hotel - and I have my own wireless AP plugged into their connection - so the devices are technically networking on *my own* "network", but the internet connection is something I have no control over. Do you guys think this has something to do with the hotel's network, or my own? I haven't been able to mess around with my AP yet, as my husband is using his computer right now... but thought I'd go on and ask here, cause I won't be able to tinker with ports til tomorrow at the earliest.

Secondly - is there an *easier* way to get iTunes music into WMP without burning everything to CD? The only thing I can think of is turning all the files into MP3's and replacing my itunes library with the mp3 equivalents - but what a pain!! Anyone know of a program that would do that without burning everything to CD?

does the 6axis controller charge while the ps3 is off(with the redlight on not blue/green)?
i bought my ps3 off my friend and he didnt give me any manuals just the box and didnt tellme instructions lol

[quote name='Furashu']does the 6axis controller charge while the ps3 is off(with the redlight on not blue/green)?
i bought my ps3 off my friend and he didnt give me any manuals just the box and didnt tellme instructions lol[/QUOTE]
I don't think it does cause I tried to plug mine in while it was on standby, but when I started it back up, it was still only at like 2 bars.

[quote name='PapiChullo']I don't think it does cause I tried to plug mine in while it was on standby, but when I started it back up, it was still only at like 2 bars.[/quote]

how do i know its charging? i plugged it in my pc and the red lights went crazy lol

A single light blinks on the back of the controller-- when it goes solid it's charged.

AFAIK the PS3 does not charge unless the unit is on. (Which is really, really stupid IMHO-- at least include longer than a 6' cable if that's going to be the case)

everytime I insert a a ps1 or ps2 game my controller turns off and I have to press the PS button to re-attach it to the ps3 at the beginning of the game. Is this normal? is there a way for the system to keep the controller recognized for the whole time?

[quote name='xabsolut']Can I use any usb/bluetooth keyboard and mouse? I wanna play resistance with a mouse and keyboard :*([/quote]Yes, you can use any.

However Resistance doesn't support KB/M.

I am a new user to PS3, what is the Friend list cap? I heard it in the past but I don't remember what it is.

I only have two friends currently if anyone wants to add me. Thanks

Tagged.

Appreciate the item number descriptions for monoprice. Damn, those guys are fast. The shipping is reasonable, too.

Edit: Also, has anyone confirmed if Sony offers extended warranty for PS3 or not?

Ok, I got streaming working... found a great program, too, that I didn't see anyone mention (at least in this thread) - SimpleCenter? The basic version is free, and it's working great so far. It lets me import all my iTunes formatted music... not the purchased from iTunes stuff, but the imported into. I give it two thumbs up so far. http://www.simplecenter.com It even worked without me having to open port in my NAT firewall (unlike WMP). I know that could be daunting for some people...

This streaming thing would be absolutely great for parties, if you're like me and have abandoned CD's and don't like hooking your ipod to your stereo :p

Anyone know what abouts is the maximum distance the PS3 can be from the source PC?

[quote name='gunm']Edit: Also, has anyone confirmed if Sony offers extended warranty for PS3 or not?[/quote]

Nope. Haven't heard anything outside of the 1 Year...

[quote name='PleasantOne']Anyone know what abouts is the maximum distance the PS3 can be from the source PC?[/quote]

I believe that's going to be primarily governed by your wireless AP and the strength of it's coverage.

[quote name='flybrione']I am a new user to PS3, what is the Friend list cap? I heard it in the past but I don't remember what it is.

I only have two friends currently if anyone wants to add me. Thanks[/QUOTE]I hear 50, but I believe some went over it. I don't completely know yet.

My cable setup is so confusing now, I went to hook up the HDMI and the audio was automatically set to just 2 channel, despite the fact that I have a Bose 321 receiver. The HDMI is going into the TV though and coming out of that into the Bose, which doesn't have HDMI support, and I'm just totally confused and annoyed now.

My video looks great, but the audio (apparently) isn't working correctly and I've no idea how to fix it. The space in the back of my TV is like a pit of thin black snakes waiting to devour me.

Is there any way to get the games from the Japanese game store to run on a US PS3? I'm specifically wondering about a couple of the PS1 fighting games.

Do they have their regional coding intact and if not, is there an easy way to add money to your wallet for your (in my case) Hong Kong Playstation Store account?

With Linux installed how viable is the PS3 as a Firefox/AIM only user?

I'm seriously considering buying a PS3 instead of a computer if its really easy to use Linux. I'm pretty tech-savy, at least I think I am. So instead of spending $500 on a PC, why not get a PS3 and have the flexibility of all these PS3 games I'm jealous of and use it as a computer.

[quote name='guyver2077']wouls this hd work on the ps3?

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch.hmx?SCriteria=AA68040&CartID=done&nextloc=

seems like a good deal[/QUOTE]That HDD should, because it has to be serial ATA.
[quote name='Halo05']Is there any way to get the games from the Japanese game store to run on a US PS3? I'm specifically wondering about a couple of the PS1 fighting games.

Do they have their regional coding intact and if not, is there an easy way to add money to your wallet for your (in my case) Hong Kong Playstation Store account?[/QUOTE]Japanese PS1 downloadable games play on a U.S. PS3 (they are region free). If you want proof, download the demo of XI GO from Japan/HK PSN. The only trick is purchasing the games. Some can import PS Cards from Japan, but I don't know where.

Man I'm seriously considering PS3. I've had my 360 and Westinghouse 32" LCD HDTV for about 8 months now, 360 almost 2 years.

All the PS3 games I've missed and want extremely badly(I'm looking at you LittleBigPlanet!), a BluRay player to see what this HD movie fuss is all about, with Linux I get a web browser and AIM(all I do), plus if I want to play PS1 or PS2 games I don't have to steal my brothers PS2. And also emulators for Linux, so thats cool too.

[quote name='WebScud']A Linux PS3 instead of a desktop? Ineresting concept.[/quote]
All I do right now is Firefox and AIM. $500 for a decently fast computer/Playstation gaming machine/Blu-Ray player. Hmmmmmm.

TVersity is hands down the best media streaming software ever.

It lets you share any format movie on any PC on your network with a PS3, 360, PSP, iPhones and about a bazillion other devices. You can even watch movies on your PC from anywhere in the world.

[quote name='Kayden']TVersity is hands down the best media streaming software ever.

It lets you share any format movie on any PC on your network with a PS3, 360, PSP, iPhones and about a bazillion other devices. You can even watch movies on your PC from anywhere in the world.[/QUOTE]

biggest fault is that it's not in plain English. 90% of it is techno babble.

:whistle2:s Eh? I understood everything just fine...

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']biggest fault is that it's not in plain English. 90% of it is techno babble.[/quote]

Stupid question.

Can you hook an external hard drive to your PS3 to transfer files?

I'd like to transfer our music collection to the PS3, so we can play music off it during parties, dinner, etc.

Edited:

Figured it out. YES you can use an external hard drive. It just has to be formatted in FAT32.

that can be an issue in Windows XP as the OS itself won't format in that over a certain size.

Follow the directions here to format a large drive in FAT32:

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk.nyud.net:8080/fat32format.htm

Plug in, and you're done.

Hope this helps another newbie.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']That HDD should, because it has to be serial ATA.
Japanese PS1 downloadable games play on a U.S. PS3 (they are region free). If you want proof, download the demo of XI GO from Japan/HK PSN. The only trick is purchasing the games. Some can import PS Cards from Japan, but I don't know where.[/QUOTE]

I believe you and I've heard about those cards. I just don't know if they're out yet. Once they become available in import shops, I'm set. I've always wanted to be disappointed in the PSX port of Last Blade, soon I'll be able to be disappointed for a fraction of the cost.

[quote name='Halo05']I believe you and I've heard about those cards. I just don't know if they're out yet. Once they become available in import shops, I'm set. I've always wanted to be disappointed in the PSX port of Last Blade, soon I'll be able to be disappointed for a fraction of the cost.[/QUOTE]At some forums (like GAF, but I was banned there long ago), there are people who live in Japan who will buy the cards for people and send them out. Too bad I don't have the contact info from those people, to pick up the stuff.

Yeah, I want a ton of those Japanese PS1 games too.

[quote name='w1r3d']do japanese ps2 games work, by any chance?[/QUOTE]

I don't think they do (on American PS3s)... I tried "Gunbird 1 & 2" (PS2 title I got cheap) and it balked on my PS3.

I tried the Japanese version of Gran Turismo and was balked at. The PS3 teased me by correctly recognizing it as a PSX disc then said, "No." Bastard.

I really wish they'd switch this with a firmware upgrade. Most people would never use it but for some of us, it'd be a huge bonus.

[quote name='Halo05']I tried the Japanese version of Gran Turismo and was balked at. The PS3 teased me by correctly recognizing it as a PSX disc then said, "No." Bastard.

I really wish they'd switch this with a firmware upgrade. Most people would never use it but for some of us, it'd be a huge bonus.[/quote]

I would agree with that too... considering the markup of buying an import PS2. ;)

I already have an import PS2, I just want to be able to put it away/sell it. I got to get rid of my US PS2s and pack up my original Xbox. I get rid of the Aqua Blue PS2 under my TV and I'll be set.

Good stuff in the last few pages. I'll update the OP accordingly.

Question: Is there any way of transferring/getting the wallpaper files of specific games for use on my PC? It's the temporary wallpaper that goes up in the Games section of the XMB when you have a disc in. Maybe there's a site that has them up somewhere.

Yes, yes, y-e-s. With my cell phone I got a few months ago (Samsung Trace w. T-mobile service) I gotz a free bluetooth headset. If it doesn't work out well I'll check out that Plantronics 320 like you said ManaKnight or I'll just wait for Warhawk.

Can anyone reccommend the following Blu Ray movies?

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Beerfest
Discovery Atlas - Brazil Revealed
Planet Earth

I want to get these movies besides the 4 free movies.

edit: I just responded to a craigslist listing that has a 60GB Ps3, HDMI cable, extra controller, MLB 07, Resistance, Fantastic Four and Call of Duty 3 for $300.

edit x2: I would trade in Fantastic Four and Call of Duty for... something

[quote name='mykevermin']I got the Reservoir Dogs Blu-Ray from Blockbuster. My PS3 won't recognize it. Any ideas or suggestions?[/QUOTE]

I was coming to post the same problem but I rented American Psycho Uncut Edition and it does the same thing.

[quote name='mykevermin']I got the Reservoir Dogs Blu-Ray from Blockbuster. My PS3 won't recognize it. Any ideas or suggestions?[/quote]Whoa, that movie is on BD?

Hmm, other than a wipe down, and restart, don't know what else you can do save for exchanging the disc.
Though they probably don't have another copy.... (and hmm, you probably rented online).

I was coming to post the same problem but I rented American Psycho Uncut Edition and it does the same thing.
Bad disc maybe?
I own that movie, plays fine for me.

Dallow, you were right because after I wiped the disk clean it finally played. For some reason the first time I did this it didn't work.

bread's done
Back