PS3 101: New user's guide to the PS3 (ask questions here -- TMK is on duty)

[quote name='kube00']Is there anyway to put ps2 saves on the ps3 hd without buying the little usb thing that lets the ps3 read them?[/QUOTE]

I don't think so.

[quote name='tenaciousjack']I was unable to find an answer to this one....

My RPTV is about 3 years old and does not have an HDMI input (it uses a DVI). Can I connect my PS3 to the TV via a DVI/HDMI cable? In addition, will it function the same as a straight HDMI connection (upscaling PS2 games and DVDs?)

Basically, my question is... Is it better to connect via DVI/HDMI or via component cables?

Any help would be appreciated.[/quote]

Offhand I would say that since you have an older TV, it would be better to go analog component as that offers a more robust signal than DVI. This is without knowing what kind of HD specs your TV has or what it can handle. You won't get the full benefit of the PS3, graphics-wise, but I suspect you'll have less display difficulites out of the box.

I'd save HDMI for newer TVs that better support it.

[quote name='Duke Vandal']Has anyone tried a different Liunx distribution other than Yellow Dog on their PS3? I really want to get Linux on my PS3, but I fear the moment I install one distribution I will regret it and wish I installed another. They all rock so hard.[/quote]

Yellow Dog is the only "officially" supported Linux distro, but others like Fedora, Gentoo, and Ubuntu work as well. I don't plan on installing Linux on my PS3, so unfortunately I couldn't tell you which one is "better". I'd say if you don't have a specific OS requirement or app in mind, Yellow Dog is as good as any and you'll probably find more community support for it.

[quote name='mxpowar']Sorry for double posting but I have another question that I haven't seen answered anywhere. Does anyone know of any sites in English with Japanese PS3 game reviews?[/quote]

I don't believe there's any single repository for Import PS3 reviews in English. I'm afraid you'll have to search individual game titles if you don't want to throw Famitsu or some of the other Japanese mags into machine translators.

[quote name='kube00']Does it matter if it is vertical or horizontal? Which gives better ventilation?[/quote]

Since the PS3 was intentionally designed to be used both vertically and horizontally, no it does not matter which way you use it. The main thing is to keep the unit in a well-ventillated area and to keep it stabilized while the disc is loaded (it's always helpful not to jostle electronics with moving parts).

Is there a way to add the exact amount of a PSN game to your wallet, or do you always have to do the "add funds" option? For example, I wanted to buy Mortal Kombat II, is there a way to charge just the $4.99 to my card, or do I have to add $5 in funds and have that 1 cent left over? Thanks.

[quote name='DeskLaser']Is there a way to add the exact amount of a PSN game to your wallet, or do you always have to do the "add funds" option? For example, I wanted to buy Mortal Kombat II, is there a way to charge just the $4.99 to my card, or do I have to add $5 in funds and have that 1 cent left over? Thanks.[/quote]

If you just keep going through the checkout process, without enough funds in your wallet, when it gets to the end and you don't have the funds, it will offer you the chance to just add the exact amount. I didn't know about this until CheapyD mentioned it on a CAGCast.

1 point for SONY! Wish all the companies did this, even though it's sort of a hidden trick.

the way that works is that it'll be the money you need as long as it's over $5. If you have a $2.99 purchase and no money, you will have to pay $5. If you have lets say $1.01 you will still have to put $5 since that's the minimum you can pull out from your card.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']the way that works is that it'll be the money you need as long as it's over $5. If you have a $2.99 purchase and no money, you will have to pay $5. If you have lets say $1.01 you will still have to put $5 since that's the minimum you can pull out from your card.[/quote]

Ahh..didn't know that. I guess I've only bought things that are over 5 bucks. Thanks for the correction!

Ah, so I guess that was my problem, as I was only trying to download Mortal Kombat II, which is not over $5. I had gone into my account settings and checked to automatically add funds if I didn't have enough, but I guess MK2 not being over $5 was the reason. I won't be on my PS3 until after the weekend, so I'll have to see if it works to (hopefully, if I have the money) download the Tekken 5 online bundle. Thanks.

How is the PS3 as a DVD player? Better than the PS2 was? I've come to realize that my DVD player isn't quite as good as I thought it was, looks kind of choppy sometimes, but I won't really have to replace it if the PS3 works well enough.

[quote name='pete5883']How is the PS3 as a DVD player? Better than the PS2 was? I've come to realize that my DVD player isn't quite as good as I thought it was, looks kind of choppy sometimes, but I won't really have to replace it if the PS3 works well enough.[/quote]

I've heard people say it upscales better then their Oppo upscaling DVD players. I can contest to that as yes it really is a great DVD upconverter. For those movies that are HD DVD only that I really need now I have confidence in the PS3 to upscale the DVD version.

just got a ps3 and have 1 question, how do i get the click sound working when you move through the xmb (like the psp)? i know you enable it in the sound options and i have but i only get a minor click or something when scrolling up or down fast, i get sound perfectly in game or videos.......but it annoys me not hearing anything while in the xmb, any help would be appreciated

edit: im using optical out with 5.1 dolby digital and the 2 pcm 2.0 that you can't uncheck

(my 360, ps2, wii dont have this issue)

[quote name='nyprimus4']Do you have the output audio settings as optical out and not HDMI?[/quote]

yea i have it as optical out, it shows the picture of the optical cable when i selected it.......

I'm still having trouble with connecting to the internet, which I never had a problem with when using my PS2 and XBox at my last residence. I have a Comcast modem with a Linksys Wireless-B router. It does recognize the connection, but it says it's only at 15% and won't let me complete the setup process. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. My PS2 won't connect either and I've tried the wired and wireless options for connecting to my PS3.

[quote name='pete5883']How is the PS3 as a DVD player? Better than the PS2 was? I've come to realize that my DVD player isn't quite as good as I thought it was, looks kind of choppy sometimes, but I won't really have to replace it if the PS3 works well enough.[/QUOTE]

IMO it's works pretty damn good at upconverting. Of course Blu-ray is awesome. I tried just a regular DVD on my old Sony tube tv and it looked good on that too.

[quote name='nyprimus4']I've heard people say it upscales better then their Oppo upscaling DVD players. I can contest to that as yes it really is a great DVD upconverter. For those movies that are HD DVD only that I really need now I have confidence in the PS3 to upscale the DVD version.[/QUOTE]
How about interface and stuff though? For instance the PS2 could only fast forward verrrry slowly unless you bought the remote. There were also skips in the video, and the video was choppy, where a regular DVD player would not do so. None of these problems?

Ok folks, I have a bit of a problem. I just signed up for PSN and when I hit the final button to process everything it stalls for a little bit and then it says "An unexpected error has occured. Please try again later." Whats going on here and how can I fix it?

Well, I've used the fast forwarding feature with just a controller. I've never tried to go beyond 10x, so I don't know if it gets /FASTER/ than that. However 10x is quite fast, condensing an hour long movie down to six minutes.

All other DVD features seem to work just fine from the controller. The only issue is remembering which button does what.

Im having a weird time with the Warhawk headset and my ps3.

I registered it to my console but its confusing...i have to click it a bunch of times to stop flickering and be permanent blue but i dont hear anything from it, instead from the screen.

Call me a n00b, but im lost...

Has anybody gotten a Vanilla Visa brand prepaid gift card to work with the Playstation store? It keeps on telling me I have invalid information, although since it is a prepaid card, it doesn't have any information "linked" to it. If anybody has gotten one to work and has some tips, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

[quote name='shnizzle66']Im having a weird time with the Warhawk headset and my ps3.

I registered it to my console but its confusing...i have to click it a bunch of times to stop flickering and be permanent blue but i dont hear anything from it, instead from the screen.

Call me a n00b, but im lost...[/quote]

When it flashes every few seconds it means that it is on. When it is solid blue it means it is ready to be connected to the PS3.

As for getting the voices to come out of the headset and not your tv, go into your PS3's settings, looking for accessory setting, then audio device settings. change output setting to the Jabra.

Does anybody have any suggestions for online play on the PS3. I just got it about two weeks ago, and I have NBA 07. About 75% of the time it won't even connect to the other opponent. The other 25 % i get about two minutes into the game and it disconnects. But I have no problem signing into the servers of the game or asking for challenges. And I've had no problem with PSN. I have Comcast Cable Internet and I have it running through a NetGear Router, wired because I thought it would help. The wireless is just as bad.

[quote name='pete5883']How about interface and stuff though? For instance the PS2 could only fast forward verrrry slowly unless you bought the remote. There were also skips in the video, and the video was choppy, where a regular DVD player would not do so. None of these problems?[/quote]
With the 1.90 update you can scroll through all the different settings to see what looks best. Fast Forwarding goes at 1.5x (funny because you still hear audio, so its almost like chipmunks), 10x, 30x & 120x. The 120x is a big help when trying to see if theyre hiding anything after the credits.

From what ive read, as long as the video is uncompressed (ie you didnt put 8.5gb of video on a 4.7gb disc) it should look great. I got tired of waiting for Blockbuster to get Disturbia BR in, so i rented the regular version and it looked really damn good for SD. It seems like no matter what i throw at it, it comes out looking good, even older stuff like Beavis & Butthead looks clear and bright as day. For shows/movies made in 4:3, there will be some stretching, but you can always switch it back to 4:3 mode (i sit and watch tv on my zune's 3 inch screen all day at work, so having big black areas to the left and the right doesnt bother me too much.)

I have two questions:

I'm looking to get rid of my PS2 and trade it for a game but I'm not sure what adapter I have to get to make guitar hero 1 & 2 compatible with the PS3. What adapter works best?

I'm also looking to play my PS3 sound through a little stereo receiver instead of my TV speakers. Can I plug the component cables into the Analog slot and just use the audio from them while still using the video from HDMI? To clarify: I want to plug component or composite cables into my PS3 and get sound sent to my reciever via the RCA cables but still use HDMI for video.

[quote name='jagwire1141']I have two questions:

I'm looking to get rid of my PS2 and trade it for a game but I'm not sure what adapter I have to get to make guitar hero 1 & 2 compatible with the PS3. What adapter works best?[/QUOTE]

I've tried the Pelican PS3/PS2 adapter, and it works fine for GH1. However, I would never use it for GH2 - it really doesn't work well for that game at all. I'm not aware of an adapter that lets the PS3 play nicely with GH2, unfortunately.

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=802566

There's also a Radioshack adapter that should work fine for GH1. I haven't tried it, though.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2348187

I'm also looking to play my PS3 sound through a little stereo receiver instead of my TV speakers. Can I plug the component cables into the Analog slot and just use the audio from them while still using the video from HDMI? To clarify: I want to plug component or composite cables into my PS3 and get sound sent to my reciever via the RCA cables but still use HDMI for video.

Yes, this is exactly how I have my system set up, and it works just fine. Make sure you have the correct output settings in the "Display Settings" menu, and you should be good to go.

Could someone please tell me what the best wireless headseat would be for use with the ps3? I am getting my ps3 in the mail soon, and would like to have one to play online with. Thanks!

I would just pick up a Warhawk bundle. I have one, and I'm really satisfied with the Jabra headset it comes with. The game is really good too, so it's a win win.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']Could someone please tell me what the best wireless headseat would be for use with the ps3? I am getting my ps3 in the mail soon, and would like to have one to play online with. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Not sure where it is, but their is a site (might even be official PS3 forum) that compiled a list of compatible headsets. Any Bluetooth SHOULD work. You can usually get a low-end Jabra for the $20 range. I got a Jabra BT-150 for that recently, and it works great. Check dealnews.com and your local newspaper electronic store ads for the current specials.

As a bonus, I can say that the Jabra is MUCH clearer-sounding (and probably more durable) than the chintzy, wired Xbox 360 headsets (yes, I'm dual platform).

Just received my PS3 delivery. It is all set up. I have it connected to my 1080i tv via HDMI. It is updating right now. But I have a couple of questions.

1) The words on the menu screen are kinda blurry. But the wavy design in the background is crisp. Is that just how it is?

2) Can I use the analog audio cables and connect them to my sound system and also use the HDMI cables on my tv? My DVD/sound system is ancient and doesn't have an HDMI in and out. If so, any special settings to tinker with or will it automatically play the audio through the RCA plugs?

Thanks. Now to find some good games. Trying to decide if I should buy VF5 or wait for the 360 version...

[quote name='MorPhiend']Just received my PS3 delivery. It is all set up. I have it connected to my 1080i tv via HDMI. It is updating right now. But I have a couple of questions.

1) The words on the menu screen are kinda blurry. But the wavy design in the background is crisp. Is that just how it is?

2) Can I use the analog audio cables and connect them to my sound system and also use the HDMI cables on my tv? My DVD/sound system is ancient and doesn't have an HDMI in and out. If so, any special settings to tinker with or will it automatically play the audio through the RCA plugs?

Thanks. Now to find some good games. Trying to decide if I should buy VF5 or wait for the 360 version...[/quote]
Check the other options in the display settings section of the XMB, it may be one of those options that'll make the text appear clear, as it should be.

Yeah, you can separate what your audio and video outputs are. I have my HDMI used for video and the composite cable for audio. You have to set them yourselves in the display settings when you set your video output settings.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Check the other options in the display settings section of the XMB, it may be one of those options that'll make the text appear clear, as it should be.

Yeah, you can separate what your audio and video outputs are. I have my HDMI used for video and the composite cable for audio. You have to set them yourselves in the display settings when you set your video output settings.[/quote]Thanks for the quick reply, Tanuki.

I have the sound set up now. But I can't get things to be not blurry. Also, I was setting up the PlayStation Network and I got to the last page to confirm everything when I saw that I had made a mistake on the email address. There was no button to make changes that I saw, just a "Back" and "Confirm". So I went back to fix the e-mail. When I went back forward, they would not let me pick my same screen name. My actual screen name had been available, now it seems it is locked out. Any ideas on either issue I am still having?

[quote name='MorPhiend']Thanks for the quick reply, Tanuki.

I have the sound set up now. But I can't get things to be not blurry. Also, I was setting up the PlayStation Network and I got to the last page to confirm everything when I saw that I had made a mistake on the email address. There was no button to make changes that I saw, just a "Back" and "Confirm". So I went back to fix the e-mail. When I went back forward, they would not let me pick my same screen name. My actual screen name had been available, now it seems it is locked out. Any ideas on either issue I am still having?[/quote]
I think the best course should've been to keep going and change the email after it went through. You can change your info afterwards, so it wouldn't have been a big deal, I think.

I checked it out and yeah, you can change your sign-in ID/email address, you just need the password to do it. I'm not sure what you can do if you backed out before completing it.

Alright so I got my PS3 today and it came with the 3 Amazon blu rays (I picked 300, Kingdom of Heaven and Kung Fu Hustle). I like the interface so far and the downloadable videos are nice. I've played demos for Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Hevenly Sword and Resistance and honestly none of them felt like they deserved my hard earned cash. It's not a problem since the game that sold the system for me is Ratchet and I know that'll be good.

I am however having a problem registering my Debit card with my PSN account. I put my card number in a spoiler below, that way I know thieves won't look at it.

Nice try, thief

I enter all of my info correctly and it says that my card is invalid. What gives? Does anyone else have similar problems?

[quote name='jagwire1141']
Nice try, thief

I enter all of my info correctly and it says that my card is invalid. What gives? Does anyone else have similar problems?[/quote]
Thiefs hacked into your account. All your monies are gone.
;) Good question. I haven't bought anything on PSN myself.

Stupid question, but is your Debit card tied into a credit card network? Such as Visa, Mastercard, Am-ex, or Discover?

If not, even if it works as a check card, it may not work.

[quote name='jagwire1141']Blasted thieves! They be takin all mah monies. How ironic that I chose to play Sly Cooper today.

Yes it's a Mastercard debit card.[/QUOTE]

Two last ideas before you call Sony.

Make sure that when you hit the start key after the last number, that it doesn't insert a space right after the credit card number. This would make PS network see: (Creditcardnumber)_ ... Which is one alphanumeric variable too long.

Make sure you use the BILLING address associated with that debit card. Not your current address. Not one of the alternate addresses associated with you debit card account.

[quote name='Gourd']Two last ideas before you call Sony.

Make sure that when you hit the start key after the last number, that it doesn't insert a space right after the credit card number. This would make PS network see: (Creditcardnumber)_ ... Which is one alphanumeric variable too long.

Make sure you use the BILLING address associated with that debit card. Not your current address. Not one of the alternate addresses associated with you debit card account.[/quote]

I'll try the Start thing but I know what you're talking about and I made sure I didn't do that last night.

My billing and residential address are different and I noted that.

Thanks for the help, I wish I could just do it from my computer.

Wow what a garbage help line. Get your ducks in a row sony. I paid $500 for your system and you can't even have a human being answer the phone. At least microsoft puts me on the phone with some smartass 18 year old kid in Texas who yells at me over the din of other smartasses after five minutes.

Oh, I got my PS3 in the mail today, along with my blu ray movies. It's bigger than I originally thought, and it's a heavy bastard. I was wondering, will any downloads continue on even if I turn off the ps3 (sort of like the 360)? Also, exactly what types of video am I able to stream over to my ps3 (.mpg, .avi)? I tried streaming a vid over, but I keep getting a corruption error. Thanks for any help.

[quote name='cleaver']Has anyone had any trouble since the last update? My PS3 crashed twice yesterday; I had to unplug it both times![/quote]

A lot of people are, they're working on a fix.

Oh, I got my PS3 in the mail today, along with my blu ray movies. It's bigger than I originally thought, and it's a heavy bastard. I was wondering, will any downloads continue on even if I turn off the ps3 (sort of like the 360)? Also, exactly what types of video am I able to stream over to my ps3 (.mpg, .avi)? I tried streaming a vid over, but I keep getting a corruption error. Thanks for any help.

No, the PS3 has to be on to download. I don't have a 360 so I can't compare, but the PS3 has to be on.

[quote name='Richlough']Is there a real Backward Compatibilty list I can look at , not the bullshit Sony one .[/quote]

There's no need for one. The sony list is incredibly specific.

Well it doesn't tell you how well they run. Plus the list would be gigantic. You're either going to have to scroll for hours on end, change pages every few games or use Ctrl + F so you'll be typing the names anyway. But good luck finding a list if you feel that it's easier. Try wikipedia I guess.

[quote name='jagwire1141']Well it doesn't tell you how well they run. Plus the list would be gigantic. You're either going to have to scroll for hours on end, change pages every few games or use Ctrl + F so you'll be typing the names anyway. But good luck finding a list if you feel that it's easier. Try wikipedia I guess.[/QUOTE]

I guess so , I'm surpised someone hasn't created a list yet .
I know it's a huge undertaking but some people get off on that sort of thing .

bread's done
Back