PS3 101: New user's guide to the PS3 (ask questions here -- TMK is on duty)

Well I have an account now. But right after, the PSN went down again. I did get the SPFIIHD demo though.

I haven't had any crashing problems. But I have had the PS3 constantly kicking everything else off of my wireless router. the PS3 is now wired.

And why are there so few PS games available for download? There is such a huge backlog. The only ones on there are less than mediocre except for Castlevania. But at $10, I'd rather wait until I get a 360 and dl the new version.

[quote name='Richlough']I guess so , I'm surpised someone hasn't created a list yet .
I know it's a huge undertaking but some people get off on that sort of thing .[/QUOTE]There's a list at the U.K. site, but when you have over 2000 games, you just can't make a simple list.

Also, you will learn how the game works on the PS3.

Ok, I apologize if this question has already been asked. My PS3 is connected by HDMI, which works fine most of the time. The first PS2 game I tried was Devil May Cry 3, which worked perfectly. Later I tried Resident Evil 4 and Indigo Prophecy. Both times, the screen was tightly compressed into about half of my screen space and a constant hissing came out of my speakers, drowning out the game soundtrack. Tried rebooting, no change. DVDs, PS3 games, and Devil May Cry 3 still work perfectly, and I am fully updated. Any ideas?

I have a question about the PSN store and the web browser. Why is it so lo-res and ugly? It's not as nice looking as what they showed off at E3. Is it because I'm using a standard def tv?

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']I have a question about the PSN store and the web browser. Why is it so lo-res and ugly? It's not as nice looking as what they showed off at E3. Is it because I'm using a standard def tv?[/quote]

I think so. I mean, it's only 480 pixels tall, so there's not much room there for beauty. Your pc monitor is probably about twice that many pixels.

The psn store looks great for me in hi-def.

I hate to ask so many questions, but I have one more. Can you stream music over to the ps3 an have it play during a game (custom soundtrack) like you can on the 360?

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']I hate to ask so many questions, but I have one more. Can you stream music over to the ps3 an have it play during a game (custom soundtrack) like you can on the 360?[/quote]

Nope. But you can listen to music while doing anything else. It should come in a update soon...

I'm unclear on the ps3's ability to stream. If this was discussed earlier please point me to the posts :D

As I understand, I need Vista (check) because it requires a DLNA (sp?) server. So I configured WMP11 in Vista to share to my ps3 (as an unknown device) and I have several directories of my library shared but apparantly I have all the wrong file types. (mp3s and avis).

Hi, I was wondering if I could charge the ps3 controller using my phone charger? It has the same input connection as the usb cord that came with the system (mini-usb? i'm not sure what it's called hehe). If possible, I would like to use the phone charger instead of the usb cable b/c I don't want to turn/leave the ps3 on to charge the controllers. I plugged the charger cable into the controller, but the lights don't blink. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

[quote name='doraemonkerpal']Hi, I was wondering if I could charge the ps3 controller using my phone charger? It has the same input connection as the usb cord that came with the system (mini-usb? i'm not sure what it's called hehe). If possible, I would like to use the phone charger instead of the usb cable b/c I don't want to turn/leave the ps3 on to charge the controllers. I plugged the charger cable into the controller, but the lights don't blink. Any help would be apprecaited. Thanks.[/quote]

I know one easy way to find out.

[quote name='Richlough']Is there a real Backward Compatibilty list I can look at , not the bullshit Sony one .[/quote]
Have you tried using http://www.ps3comp.com/ ? They seem to have decent searchable list for both PS1 and PS2.

[quote name='Richlough']That's more like it .

Thanks alot !![/QUOTE]
If you're looking for 80GB, EE-less, US backwards compatibility, none of it is on that list. It's all EE-related, and it doesn't even have all the games.

[quote name='doraemonkerpal']Hi, I was wondering if I could charge the ps3 controller using my phone charger? It has the same input connection as the usb cord that came with the system (mini-usb? i'm not sure what it's called hehe). If possible, I would like to use the phone charger instead of the usb cable b/c I don't want to turn/leave the ps3 on to charge the controllers. I plugged the charger cable into the controller, but the lights don't blink. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.[/quote]

There was some discussion about this on the Official Playstation Boards. Personally, I would be concerned about voltage and the subsequent loss of $50.00 from my wallet. :) Charging your Sixaxis with more (or worse less) voltage than it requires could reduce the life of your battery pack or outright kill your controller. I'm guessing that your cell phone charger's wires are mapped to the pins differently than standard USB.

What I did, was go an buy a basic, run-of-the-mill USB extension cable (maximum length is 16.5 feet) and I can recharge it while playing without being two feet away from the TV or I could tuck it away so it wasn't sitting (all ugly) in front of my PS3 while I was doing other things.

I know it's not the same thing but it's an option.

The USB charger for the SixAxis is jut a normal one right? I had a USB cable for my Sony digicam I had laying around and have been using it instead since it's slightly longer.

[quote name='_scott']There was some discussion about this on the Official Playstation Boards. Personally, I would be concerned about voltage and the subsequent loss of $50.00 from my wallet. :) Charging your Sixaxis with more (or worse less) voltage than it requires could reduce the life of your battery pack or outright kill your controller. I'm guessing that your cell phone charger's wires are mapped to the pins differently than standard USB.

What I did, was go an buy a basic, run-of-the-mill USB extension cable (maximum length is 16.5 feet) and I can recharge it while playing without being two feet away from the TV or I could tuck it away so it wasn't sitting (all ugly) in front of my PS3 while I was doing other things.

I know it's not the same thing but it's an option.[/QUOTE]

I guess this answers my question before asking it, but to be sure... is there no way to charge the controller without leaving the system on? Sounds like a pretty retarded setup if not. Especially since the system is in standby unless you flip the power switch on the back. Lame.

Where can I nab a cheap USB extension? Focus on the "cheap." :) 16.5 feet would be nice.

[quote name='_scott']There was some discussion about this on the Official Playstation Boards. Personally, I would be concerned about voltage and the subsequent loss of $50.00 from my wallet. :) Charging your Sixaxis with more (or worse less) voltage than it requires could reduce the life of your battery pack or outright kill your controller. I'm guessing that your cell phone charger's wires are mapped to the pins differently than standard USB.

I know it's not the same thing but it's an option.[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion. I went ahead and plugged it into the charger to try it out and it didn't work anyways hehe. I'll probably end up buying a long usb cable too. :)

if u have a computer, cant u charge the controller using the USB hub on the computer instead of the PS3? Assuming you leave your computer on that is.

I have a question... Is there a way to make an audio or video playlist on my PS3, and to make folders to put certain type of music or videos o them?

[quote name='kleptoix']if u have a computer, cant u charge the controller using the USB hub on the computer instead of the PS3? Assuming you leave your computer on that is.[/QUOTE]

Yep... I do it all the time since I leave my Macintosh on 24/7. :)

[quote name='kleptoix']if u have a computer, cant u charge the controller using the USB hub on the computer instead of the PS3? Assuming you leave your computer on that is.[/quote]

I do this with my laptop.

Now I just need to find a good deal on a bluetooth keyboard. Wish they made bluetooth trackballs.

I just read that you can charge the Sixaxis with the Wii in standby mode. That's awesome. The competitors do more with their hardwarere than Sony can. Brilliant.

Hmm..I might be able to get a 60gb from a friend who is selling it for $350(is this a good price?) Any noticable difference between it and the 80gb? Or is the 60GB just perfect?

60GB is the sweet one because it has the 'emotion engine' in it that allows near full backwards compatibility with PS1 and PS2 games. The 80GB will run software emulation to get games to work much like the 360. Also like the 360 the list is spotty. I think I read 80% of PS2 games work, and of those, many have quirks.

$350 is a great price if you can take advantage of Blu-ray. $350 soley for gaming purchase still seems a bit high when considering the library of 360 also-rans. A year in and the only noteworthy games are Motorstorm, Resistance and Heavenly Sword, none of which garner triple-A status.

[quote name='Corvin']60GB is the sweet one because it has the 'emotion engine' in it that allows near full backwards compatibility with PS1 and PS2 games. The 80GB will run software emulation to get games to work much like the 360. Also like the 360 the list is spotty. I think I read 80% of PS2 games work, and of those, many have quirks.

$350 is a great price if you can take advantage of Blu-ray. $350 soley for gaming purchase still seems a bit high when considering the library of 360 also-rans. A year in and the only noteworthy games are Motorstorm, Resistance and Heavenly Sword, none of which garner triple-A status.[/quote]

Yeah as of right now I really want to play Warhawk, Ninja Gaiden and Resistance. Also Ratchet, Uncharted, and Unreal are coming out which I am super looking forward too. And of course Metal Gear *omg head explodes* Solid 4, which won''t be for several months but the PS3 lineup isn't severely bad at the moment.

[quote name='Corvin']I just read that you can charge the Sixaxis with the Wii in standby mode. That's awesome. The competitors do more with their hardwarere than Sony can. Brilliant.[/quote]
You can't. It only works if WiiConnect24 is on, but that's not the normal standby mode.

[quote name='Corvin']
Where can I nab a cheap USB extension? Focus on the "cheap." :) 16.5 feet would be nice.[/QUOTE]

Monoprice. I just got two six foot USB extensions for 5 dollars and some change. Shipped.

I was never really a fan of wireless controllers. So I extend the USB cable on the PS3, and use a wired controller on my 360 Elite.

I just got a Jabra BT 150 headseat to use with my PS3 online. I was able to pair it fine, but I'm not sure whether it is working or not. I went into the settings section to make it my input device, and was able to see that meter go to the right (the one that detects the volume of your voice?), which I assume shows that it is working properly.

Except when I went into a game of resistance, it didn't seem as if anyone was able to hear me. What is a sure fire way of testing to know that it is properly working? Thanks for any help.

Has anyone had problems with your PS3 deleting PS2/PSX saves?

I wanted to start Lunar: Silver Star Story (PSX) soon on my PS3, but a friend of mine mentioned that his PS3 randomly deleted his Persona 3 save.

[quote name='asianxcore']Has anyone had problems with your PS3 deleting PS2/PSX saves?

I wanted to start Lunar: Silver Star Story (PSX) soon on my PS3, but a friend of mine mentioned that his PS3 randomly deleted his Persona 3 save.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it happened to me once. I used to keep my virtual memory cards in the "slots" when turning my PS3 on or off but now I just release the card before I turn it off and put it in the slot when I start a game and I haven't had any problems since. Hope that helps.

I have a question regarding backwards compatability on the EE vs the non-EE models.

I remember seeing something back when the non-EE first came about that it had less compatable titles, but the ones that did work looked better than the ones ran using the EE. Along with this was some screenshots of FF XII running on the software emulation that looked great and showed more detail than the game running on the PS2.

Is this actually the case? Or does the PS3 upconvert the graphics using either method?

Also there was a thread on here a while back that had comparison screenshots of games running on the PS2 vs the PS3 but I cant seem to find it now. Anyone have a link to that thread or something similar?

Thanks.

Both PS3's upconvert the same way. There were apparently some fake FFXII pics floating around at the time, so you may have been misled. 80GB has no advantage as far as upscaling is concerned.

Those FF12 high resolution shots weren't fakes, instead it was running on a developer's PS3. Which means that it's certainly possible to render ps2 games at high res, but the feature may be limited to things like still shots for advertising purposes.

I have my PS3 hooked up via HDMI and TOSLINK to my S590S receiver, but I'm having trouble getting Dolby/DTS sounds out of God of War 2. I get 5.1 from DVDs/Blu-rays/PS3 games, but just not PS2 games. I noticed when I power the system on, the receiver says Dolby and I hear the opening chime in 5.1, but when it hits the menu, it disappears.

Any ideas?
Right now the audio output settings that are checked are:
DD 5.1
DTS 5.1
AAC
Linear PCM 2 Ch. 44.1 kHz (checked, can't change)
Linear PCM 2 Ch. 88.2 kHz (unchecked)
Linear PCM 2 Ch. 176.4 kHz (unchecked)
Linear PCM 2 Ch. 48 kHz (checked, can't change)

Got 2 more questions.

1- How can I get audio out if I connect my hdmi cable to a tv equipped just with a DVI port? AFAIK there's no optical cable on the ps3 (unlike the ps2) and I dont know how i'd get audio out on such a thing.

(edit) deleted question #2 since ps3 video 9 does what I need done.

I was going to buy a PS3 off my friend but then he said it has no warranty. Is there anyway to buy one? Or am I SOL? I really don't want to invest in the system without any sort of warranty.

[quote name='h0mi']1- How can I get audio out if I connect my hdmi cable to a tv equipped just with a DVI port? AFAIK there's no optical cable on the ps3 (unlike the ps2) and I dont know how i'd get audio out on such a thing.[/quote]

It, in fact, does have optical out. You can also hook up the standard composite/component cables and use them for audio as well.

Blackout, your friend lied. Nearly all products have some form of warranty, but especially these expensive electronic items. In fact, I could look in my PS3 box to find my warranty card right now if you need proof. So tell your friend to do some research before answering.

Oh, and unlike the 360, recent stress tests by the PS3 community has shown that the PS3 is a very well made piece of hardware, so it's unlikely you'll need to use your warranty either. They put it in a sauna and ran it for a long time and it ran fine, they froze it, and the system did have trouble, mainly because the disc drive motor froze up, once it thawed there were no problems. There were other tests too, and in the end the PS3 came out fine.

Meanwhile, my 360 which has mostly been sitting on the table starting having a GPU overheat issue which causes it to freeze up after 1-4 hours of play depending on the game.

h0mi - Besides the optical output, which is in the PS3, after setting the PS3 to HDMI output, it'll then give you an option to choose where the audio comes out from. I think there's an option to pass it through normal composite cables.

[quote name='rendil']It, in fact, does have optical out. You can also hook up the standard composite/component cables and use them for audio as well.[/quote]

Hm i checked again and lo & behold, there it is. I wonder how the hell I missed it the 1st time?

Thanks.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']I just got a Jabra BT 150 headseat to use with my PS3 online. I was able to pair it fine, but I'm not sure whether it is working or not. I went into the settings section to make it my input device, and was able to see that meter go to the right (the one that detects the volume of your voice?), which I assume shows that it is working properly.

Except when I went into a game of resistance, it didn't seem as if anyone was able to hear me. What is a sure fire way of testing to know that it is properly working? Thanks for any help.[/quote]Anyone mind helping me out with this problem?

Ok this I don't understand ... everyone bashed MS for the fail rate on the 360. I have had my unit since right after launch and other than a few freezes have had no issues.

Today I buy a PS3 60gb Model. I have had NOTHING BUT TROUBLE with this machine since the moment it booted up. I have it hooked up to my TV via HDMI.

1. The console will not play ANY PS2 GAMES. I put one in, starts to load, then all I get is a black screen and the system wont do anything. The only thing I can do at that point is turn the power off from the switch in the back of the PS3.

2. Damn system keeps cutting itself off my wireless network for no reason. Nothing else I have ran through the wireless has problems staying connected.

3. What happened to the PS3 running so much cooler than the 360. The thing that looks like a grill feels like one too. If I touch the back of my PS3 after a short 30 minutes, it is scorching hot.

If anyone has any suggestions ... dear god please let me know. Had the thing for a few hours and am ready to return it already.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']Ok this I don't understand ... everyone bashed MS for the fail rate on the 360. I have had my unit since right after launch and other than a few freezes have had no issues.

Today I buy a PS3 60gb Model. I have had NOTHING BUT TROUBLE with this machine since the moment it booted up. I have it hooked up to my TV via HDMI.

1. The console will not play ANY PS2 GAMES. I put one in, starts to load, then all I get is a black screen and the system wont do anything. The only thing I can do at that point is turn the power off from the switch in the back of the PS3.

2. Damn system keeps cutting itself off my wireless network for no reason. Nothing else I have ran through the wireless has problems staying connected.

3. What happened to the PS3 running so much cooler than the 360. The thing that looks like a grill feels like one too. If I touch the back of my PS3 after a short 30 minutes, it is scorching hot.

If anyone has any suggestions ... dear god please let me know. Had the thing for a few hours and am ready to return it already.[/quote]
Exchange it for a new one. I've never had those issues.

The PS3 does run pretty hot, though.

I installed a linux partition on the PS3 today, but can't get VLC to install. Using Yumex, I get a "yum.baseError" when I try to. I have no idea how to fix this. Does anyone have any ideas? All I'm looking to do is play my emulators and use VLC to watch videos on the system.

The heat thing I can deal with; especially since I am used to the 360. I just wasn't expecting it. The issue with the PS2 games is more upsetting to me.

I checked a few other forums and aparently the issue only came about after the latest firmware update which I did when I first got the console.

Each time I want to play a PS2 games, I have to turn the system on with a hard reset by holding down the power button until it beeps a second time. Doing that makes the PS2 game run fine for the session.

If I don't do a hard reset the next time I turn it on, no PS2 game playing for me. Hopefully this issue will get fixed with the next update. It's happenning to alot of people apparently but not all of them. I wonder what the difference is that is causing the error to occcur.

Still haven't found out anything about the wireless disconect though.

bread's done
Back