PS3 101: New user's guide to the PS3 (ask questions here -- TMK is on duty)

[quote name='buffdrew84']got a new 40gig, isnt this wifi out of the box?? why when i try to connect does it tell me no ethernet cable connected?[/quote]
Did you set your network connection as wireless?

Could someone offer some advice please.

When trying to play music from my pc to ps3(i did everything in the guide i believe)
I can see every song etc etc

go to play get..

Media Server Error:
A network error has occurred.
(80710028)

I don't know how to stream from the PC. I just have my external HDD that I plug into my PS3 to play music. Sorry.

And I figured out my problem. First I plugged in composite cables. That worked. But I didn't want to have to switch to compostie every time I played. So I plugged HDMI back in and messed around with the display settings. I think just switching PS/PS2 game displays to fullscreen is what did the job.

Is there a list anywhere online of what ps2 games have online components? I can't seem to track one down.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Did you set your network connection as wireless?[/quote]

duh! just did and it works fine. thanks for the help though.

Im having a problem with sound output on my PS3.Certain games will not output sound :Devil May Cry 2,Devil May Cry 3,Resident Evil code Veronica X,Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil Outreak.The only game that plays sound is Devil May Cry 1.I have my ps3 hooked up to an HDTV via HDMI.Anyone experience these problems.

UPDATE: Fixed

I just got an HDTV this weekend and I want to hook my ps3 up to it. I am new to the whole HD thing though. I was going to get an HDMI cable, but not sure if that is the best option and what cable I should buy. Thanks for any help.

3 Questions:

1) Can you change the font color?
2) Can you use the PS3's wireless to play PS2 games online?
3) If I have 720p and 1080i checked in the setting, which one will my games be play in? I'd prefer 720p.

[quote name='slipkornotpsu']I just got an HDTV this weekend and I want to hook my ps3 up to it. I am new to the whole HD thing though. I was going to get an HDMI cable, but not sure if that is the best option and what cable I should buy. Thanks for any help.[/QUOTE]

If your TV has an HDMI input (it probabaly does), the HDMI cable is the best option. Mostly for ease-of-use reasons. Anyway, just go to Monoprice.com (huge thread in Other Deals forum about them) and buy the cheapest priced cable that is the length you need. It's that easy :)

[quote name='slipkornotpsu']I just got an HDTV this weekend and I want to hook my ps3 up to it. I am new to the whole HD thing though. I was going to get an HDMI cable, but not sure if that is the best option and what cable I should buy. Thanks for any help.[/quote]There's a link in the OP to the HDMI cables at Monoprice complete with product numbers so you can decide on what length you'll need.

Maybe someone can answer this here. A couple times I had been folding, I got up to 30% and 65% each time. When I went back to fold again a day or two later, the 30% was at 0% and the 65% went down to around 30%. Does anyone know what the problem is? It kind of sucks to fold all that time and then lose all the data for some reason.

[quote name='Blackout542']Maybe someone can answer this here. A couple times I had been folding, I got up to 30% and 65% each time. When I went back to fold again a day or two later, the 30% was at 0% and the 65% went down to around 30%. Does anyone know what the problem is? It kind of sucks to fold all that time and then lose all the data for some reason.[/QUOTE]
I believe if you have FAH set to Advanced there is a deadline involved, so if you don't fold for a couple days the deadline may pass and the work is scrapped. I disabled Advanced and haven't had that problem since.

[quote name='Blackout542']Maybe someone can answer this here. A couple times I had been folding, I got up to 30% and 65% each time. When I went back to fold again a day or two later, the 30% was at 0% and the 65% went down to around 30%. Does anyone know what the problem is? It kind of sucks to fold all that time and then lose all the data for some reason.[/quote]
From the FAQ for the PS3 app:

How long do I have to complete it?
Note that Work Units "expire" after a certain amount of time. This means that after a certain amount of time, if the WU has not been returned, we assume it's not coming back and our server moves on from there. This is necessary due to the fact that future work units depend on old ones and so we need to eventually give the work to someone else to get it completed. The times to complete a WU for the PS3 is short (8 hours), so the deadline time is also correspondingly short (2 days).

http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/FAQ-PS3.html

best to keep main power on and turn off system by the controller or to just hit the switch in the back everytime??? also plug the controller back in after im done each time as well??
monoprice is a great site, heard about it through here and the cable came quick and is perfect

[quote name='buffdrew84']best to keep main power on and turn off system by the controller or to just hit the switch in the back everytime??? also plug the controller back in after im done each time as well??
monoprice is a great site, heard about it through here and the cable came quick and is perfect[/quote]
Turning it off with the controller's fine. No need to flip the switch.

The only reason to plug the controller back in is if the battery's low. If you don't play much in a sitting, there's no need to do it every time.

Is there a way to organize game demos into one folder? I have more than 5 at the moment and I don't like the way it looks.

[quote name='Blackout542']Is there a way to organize game demos into one folder? I have more than 5 at the moment and I don't like the way it looks.[/quote]Hit Triangle on the game you want to sort. Go to "Information" and rename the Album to whatever you want. Now go back to the other games you want to organize and put them in whatever Album you want.

Then at the XMB>Game, you should be able to hit Triangle and move up to Group Content>By Album.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Hit Triangle on the game you want to sort. Go to "Information" and rename the Album to whatever you want. Now go back to the other games you want to organize and put them in whatever Album you want.

Then at the XMB>Game, you should be able to hit Triangle and move up to Group Content>By Album.[/quote]

Thanks, looks a lot more organized now.

Ok. I bought an Excellant condition ps3 60gb with 2 controllers and a game about 1 months ago for 365. It came without the box, but it had a receipt. I guess warranty ends in june 2008. I'm about to buy as a gift another like new PS3 60gb bundle with 2 controllers, 2 games, guitar hero 3 with guitar for 420. It has the original box and everthing, however no receipt. What do I do about the warranty, is there anyway to get one. And also extend the first one. Am I overreacting? Thanks everyone! :) :bouncy: :bomb: :hot:

Apologies, I haven't been able to keep up with updating the OP with all the questions. I'll peruse the thread this weekend and add the more recent, repeating questions to the OP.

[quote name='pinkofloydo']Can anyone answer my question, please[/quote]I'm not sure anyone here has looked into the warranty situation with Sony directly to give you a good answer on the extended warranty. The hardware does seem exceptionally stable, but I too would like to know how an extended warranty through Sony would be handled.

How does it compare to other blu-ray players, or is it basically the same because of the ability to download firm-ware updates?

also does anyone have a picture of the backside of the ps3 where are the inputs are

It's better because of the ability to d/l firmware updates.

It will have an update before Christmas updating the firmware to profile 1.1 (biggest addition is picture in picture); at the moment, only one other BR player is 1.1 compatible (and it's $500).

Best one out there, IMO, for its features and price.

only bad thng i heard was you cant get some audio codecs
im not sure which, but ps3 for now cant do certain audio codecs...

but so far its really good, has the fastest loading times i believe.

[quote name='Furashu']only bad thng i heard was you cant get some audio codecs

but so far its really good, has the fastest loading times i believe.[/quote]

It will be able to soon.. very soon hopefully :)

And for the PIP question..

The next movie to have it will be Terminator 3. Due out in a few weeks. Enjoy.

I've read that the PS3 plays Blu-ray movies at a speed of 60 frames per second rather than a multiple of the film standard 24 fps, and that this can lead to motion artifacts. Has anyone noticed such a thing?

[quote name='elmyra']I've read that the PS3 plays Blu-ray movies at a speed of 60 frames per second rather than a multiple of the film standard 24 fps, and that this can lead to motion artifacts. Has anyone noticed such a thing?[/QUOTE]

I've not noticed any issues, but I don't have a 24Hz capable TV. The PS3 did receive an option to display in that way via a firmware upgrade a few months back, so you're golden if you have a set that can display at that rate.

[quote name='mykevermin']I've not noticed any issues, but I don't have a 24Hz capable TV. The PS3 did receive an option to display in that way via a firmware upgrade a few months back, so you're golden if you have a set that can display at that rate.[/quote]

That's good to hear. I don't have a compatible set, but I hope that I will in the future, so I was curious. It doesn't sound like there's any downside to the PS3 for Blu-ray purposes.

[quote name='Furashu']only bad thng i heard was you cant get some audio codecs

but so far its really good, has the fastest loading times i believe.[/quote] Currently the only codecs it can't decode internally are DTS-HD High Resolution and DTS-HD Master Audio. No player, from any manufactuerer, for either HD DVD or Blu-Ray, can currently decode these codecs. Two HD DVD and 3 or 4 (I forget) Blu-Ray players can send them to an HDMI 1.3 receiver for decoding there, however. We've been told that the PS3 hardware is incapable of bitstreaming them in this fashion, but we've also been told several times by both Sony and DTS that internal decoding is coming. The last promise I saw was in July or August, that said we'd have it by the end of the year. There's only a month left, so I'm getting skeptical that the deadline will be hit, but I have no doubt it is in the works.

Bottom line is the PS3 will likely be the first player from either format that can decode the all the advanced audio codecs internally.

[quote name='elmyra']I've read that the PS3 plays Blu-ray movies at a speed of 60 frames per second rather than a multiple of the film standard 24 fps, and that this can lead to motion artifacts. Has anyone noticed such a thing?[/quote] It's not motion artifacting, it's a phenomenon called 24fps judder, wherein some frames are repeated more than others (in nearly all cases, it's in a 3:2 cadence, for 60fps output). It's an extreme annoyance to people who notice it (I don't, personally). But this is NOT something new. If you haven't noticed it with DVDs, you won't notice it with Blu-Ray. The source is the same, and the results are the same.

However, that's not to say that the PS3 can't do 24fps. It was one of the first players from either format to do so (I think only the Pioneer 94HD had 24p before the PS3 did). Additionally, it has options for both 24p as an option if your TV tells the PS3 it supports 24p, and "force 24p", which outputs 24p whether your TV says it can take it or not. Some 120Hz TVs don't properly identify their video capabilities to players, so the first option will result in 60p output on those sets. This is where the "force" option comes in, for the sets that DO support 24p, but do not properly identify to the player that they can. Of course if you try the force option on a TV that really doesn't support 24p, you'll get no picture.

[quote name='elmyra']That's good to hear. I don't have a compatible set, but I hope that I will in the future, so I was curious. It doesn't sound like there's any downside to the PS3 for Blu-ray purposes.[/quote]
There are a couple of downsides. It's relatively noisy, produces a lot of heat, doesn't have bitstreaming support for HDMI 1.3 recievers or analog audio outputs for Non-HDMI receivers, and can't be used with a universal remote. But in most cases, the benefits will outweigh the drawbacks by a rather wide margin.

All in all, the PS3 makes a great BD player. There are standalones that are better in several aspects, but none offer the speed or upgradeability that the PS3 offers. I'm a bit of an HT nut (as Myke will attest to) with both HiDef formats, and the PS3 is the first time I've EVER used a console as a video player in my life. I'm not 100% satisfied (and wouldn't be with a current standalone), but far closer than I ever expected to be.

Geko29 pretty much explained it all. Only thing is that I don't hear much noise out of the PS3 (compared to my 360 and Liteon dvd player). Definitely outputs quite a bit of heat.

Not too many HDTVs can accept and properly display 1080/24p at the moment. In the plasma side, only the high end Pioneers at 72Hz can do 3:3 pulldown. New Samsung LCDs can, but supposedly it still isn't displayed properly. Maybe it will be standard one day, but I think we're far from that and it isn't something to worry about. I don't notice the 24p judder phenomenon.

Hope internal DTS-HD MA decoding will arrive soon. But to be honest, AFAIK, Fox is the only studio that includes DTS-HD MA tracks on their discs. So you wouldn't be missing that much.

Although a lot of Blu-ray players are dropping to comparable prices, the PS3 is probably still the best value for its price, whether you're a gamer or not.

Like geko29, I would never use a console as a optical media movie player either, but PS3 is the exception (well 360 also, but I use the HDDVD drive for movies). Heck I don't use it for gaming at all.

I picked up an 80GB PS3 at WM on Saturday to take advantage of the Blu-Ray deal. One of its main selling points was backwards compatibility with PS2 games...since I've never owned a PS2, the PS3 would allow me to play some of the games I've missed from the last generation.

So I just received Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy from Goozex and popped it into my PS3. It told me to download a PS2 format file from the PSN store, which I did. It told me to create a PS2 game save card, which I did.

At last I thought I'd finally be able to play the game...but I'm now getting another error: it says that the game isn't compatible with the PS3 but if I update my system software it "may become compatible".

I checked the PS2 compatibility site and it says that the game will play with occasional freezing. I can't even get it to boot up! The disc is flawless: no scratches, no fingerprints.

Am I missing something? Some other little file I need to DL or create to be able to play this game? I have the most recent firmware...is that what it means by "updating my system software"?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

I just got my ps3 2 weeks ago. please let me know what games i should get i already have CoD4, time crisis4, assassins creed, ratch and clank and motorstorm (came w/ system). add me as a friend if you have CoD4 and we can play b1gj0k3r420.

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD if you like puzzle/battle games.
Tekken if you are into fighting games.

Thats all.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']Can I fold in the background while I'm playing a game, or do I have to leave it dedicated to folding only?[/quote]Folding only.

bread's done
Back