PS3 101: New user's guide to the PS3 (ask questions here -- TMK is on duty)

[quote name='primetime']I'm actually going to trade in the Jabra. It echoes way too much for my tastes. I'm just using the $30 PS2 Logitech USB headset.[/quote]

Might go into settings and see if you can't tweak it some. I used my with my cellphone too so it had more uses then just game chatting so it is a bit more valuable to me.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Might go into settings and see if you can't tweak it some. I used my with my cellphone too so it had more uses then just game chatting so it is a bit more valuable to me.[/quote]

Yeah, I don't know. I tested it out with my cell and it wasn't echoing at all.

If it is a problem with the hard drive, formatting it will not help. Unless somehow the PS3 OS or some software is corrupt. You can always pull it from the PS3, put it in your PC and run a program to check if the HDD is good. Something like Disk fitness test by Hitachi, it's effective and free.

Good luck!

I just ordered a 40 gig PS3 and looked over the guide ... good stuff. Thanks OP for all the information. I also ordered a couple of optical cables for my 360 and PS3 and can't wait to post in the PS3 threads for once.

Today, I upgraded my 60gb PS3 with a 250gb WD Passport hard drive. I took the 250gb drive out of its external casing and my plan was to put the outgoing 60gb hard drive from my ps3 into the casing so that I could have a 60gb portable drive. However, when I attached the usb adapter to the drive and connected it via usb the LED on the external casing would turn on and off and ultimately would not power on.

My question is: Has anyone been able to power their PS3 hard drive via usb after taking it out? Is there something wrong with my drive?

A problem I'm starting to get concerned about (it's happened 3 times now)...

I set the PS3 to fold overnight and will usually turn it off in the AM. The first night went as planned. The second night, 60 seconds after I set it to fold and turned off my TV, the PS3 turned itself off. I felt it to make sure it wasn't over heated, turned it on to make sure it didn't fry itself, and then turned it off for the night. I bought an intercooler for it and have that attached now. Since then it's turned itself off within 10 minutes of me starting the folding session twice in the last 7 days. Any clues as to what's going on? I don't think it's overheating, as it's staying fairly cool and has no other problems. It also hasn't turned itself off during gameplay or any other times. Just when folding... sometimes.

[quote name='Warner1281']A problem I'm starting to get concerned about (it's happened 3 times now)...

I set the PS3 to fold overnight and will usually turn it off in the AM. The first night went as planned. The second night, 60 seconds after I set it to fold and turned off my TV, the PS3 turned itself off. I felt it to make sure it wasn't over heated, turned it on to make sure it didn't fry itself, and then turned it off for the night. I bought an intercooler for it and have that attached now. Since then it's turned itself off within 10 minutes of me starting the folding session twice in the last 7 days. Any clues as to what's going on? I don't think it's overheating, as it's staying fairly cool and has no other problems. It also hasn't turned itself off during gameplay or any other times. Just when folding... sometimes.[/quote]

The intercooler is unnecessary and will do nothing but harm the PS3, from what I've seen. You can wait for confirmation from someone else on that though.

I hope that won't turn into a bigger problem, since that type of behavior is usually what happens before the system fails permanently.

[quote name='shadylane']is there anyway to backup your ps3 data like gamesaves, music, etc[/quote]

Yeah using either an external USB hard drive, USB memory stick, or a media card (CF, SD, MemoryStick, if your PS3 is equipped with a card reader), select what you want to copy, hit Triangle, select Copy, and the rest should be self explanatory.

Some people have quickly hit on this before briefly, but I'm wondering about how the warranty works. I purchased a 60gb on craigslist a month ago. I dont have a box or receipt with my system. How would I go about getting warranty coverage if I needed it? The system still has its serial number on it and has never been opened. If I called sony with that info and said I received it as a gift in say June 2007 are they going to give me a hard time and/or deny any warranty coverage?

Just wondering if anyone has any experience so far.

[quote name='Warner1281']A problem I'm starting to get concerned about (it's happened 3 times now)...

I set the PS3 to fold overnight and will usually turn it off in the AM. The first night went as planned. The second night, 60 seconds after I set it to fold and turned off my TV, the PS3 turned itself off. I felt it to make sure it wasn't over heated, turned it on to make sure it didn't fry itself, and then turned it off for the night. I bought an intercooler for it and have that attached now. Since then it's turned itself off within 10 minutes of me starting the folding session twice in the last 7 days. Any clues as to what's going on? I don't think it's overheating, as it's staying fairly cool and has no other problems. It also hasn't turned itself off during gameplay or any other times. Just when folding... sometimes.[/quote]

You may want to check your options to see if maybe you accidentally turned on the timed shutoff option in Folding@Home. They recently added that option.

[quote name='jling84']You may want to check your options to see if maybe you accidentally turned on the timed shutoff option in Folding@Home. They recently added that option.[/quote]

Yeah, I checked that each time to make sure it hadn't been set. Oh well... I'll just back up my saves and if the PS3 dies on me, I'll send it in.

Can anyone help me and explain the difference in the PS3 systems. I know the hard drive sizes, but I think I heard 1 or 2 systems have emotion software as to this and some have ps2 playback ability.

Please share the info.

Thanks.

60gb and 20gb have the emotion engine in them and do backwards compatibility the best. 80gb does it through emulation and the 40gb only plays PS1 games, no PS2.

I used to recommend the 20, but my call goes to the 60 now. There are a lot of good PS2 games that are worth playing and if you decide to upgrade the drive you'll have access to the media ports (I'm using these a lot more, this is why I reccomend the 60 over the 20) and wifi.

Stick to a 60 GB new or used no matter what you do. It's the best of all the countless systems and various SKus Sony seems to astute of doing. Most reasonable HD space and has backwards compatibility the way it should be done. 20 GB after that. Don't screw around witha 40 GB, but I guess if worse comes to worse, go with an 80 GB.

I just ordered a 40 gig but I don't plan on playing any PS2 games. If you're looking for low price/ high availability and don't need to play PS2 games, go with the 40 or the 80 if you have the cash.

[quote name='Shoki']where can you still get a 60
?[/QUOTE]
Try craigslist / kijiji / ebay, you could get lucky.

If not, definitely a 80gb.

It doesn't have Chrome.

[quote name='chodax']Why is everyone saying 20gb is worst? For the price its amazing.[/quote]

20 kicks the 40gigs butt big time.

You only have 2 choices now with the PS3 in stores.

40 gig (cheaper, no ps2 compatibility,only 2 usb ports,no memcard reader)
80gig (100bucks more, 85+% ps2 compatibile,memcard reader,4usb ports)

[quote name='DestroVega']I only cared about my PS3 playing Blu-Rays, so the 40 was fine for me.[/quote]You could've saved $100 and bought the Sony BDP-S300 Blu-Ray player.

Considering its not possible for the 20gb to have wireless, meaning if the router is far away from the ps3, the op couldnt play online, id be pissed if i bought a 20gb.

Get the 60gb.. end.

[quote name='lanzarlaluna']You could've saved $100 and bought the Sony BDP-S300 Blu-Ray player.[/quote]

Not a good idea, IMHO. The PS3 is a much better blu-ray player than the BDP-S300, and is also a superior multimedia device (upconverts SD DVDs, plays DivX, etc), so at $400 it's a much better bargain than the BDP-S300 is at $300.

[quote name='lanzarlaluna']You could've saved $100 and bought the Sony BDP-S300 Blu-Ray player.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but then where can you get a current gen system for $100 later?

On top of that everyone claiming spend another $100 or more for backwards compatiblity. keep this in mind you can pick up a PS2 with 100% PS1 & Ps2 compatiblity for less than $100 easily.

[quote name='Snake2715']Yeah but then where can you get a current gen system for $100 later?

On top of that everyone claiming spend another $100 or more for backwards compatiblity. keep this in mind you can pick up a PS2 with 100% PS1 & Ps2 compatiblity for less than $100 easily.[/QUOTE]

Does the PS3 upscale PS1/PS2 games? The PS2 looks like crap on my HDTV.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Does the PS3 upscale PS1/PS2 games? The PS2 looks like crap on my HDTV.[/QUOTE]

I think you meant does the PS2 upscale.... and no it doesnt. To be honest the PS2 is not a system you want if you want graphics though, is it? I mean I dont hear a lot of Graphics nuts going crazy over the Wii.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Does the PS3 upscale PS1/PS2 games? The PS2 looks like crap on my HDTV.[/quote]

Yes it does (and does it well).

Hmm...If anybody has a better thread to throw this in, suggest away. I haven't been able to complete a game of Madden 08 in my last 8 or so tries. I even tried messing around with port triggering (Netgear) and it still didn't work last night. I suppose I could fool around with it some more tonight.

Insight?

Is anyone familiar with VLC media player? I use it to watch foreign movies that don't have its own subtitles. I was wondering if it can be used on the Ps3. Thanks.

[quote name='snowsquirrel']Did the guy give you the reciept with it? I think you get a year warranty from Sony.
~S[/quote]

Nah, he said he got it as a "gift" but never opened it cause he uses his 360. I think it was pretty shady to begin with, but once I made up my mind to get the system I got overanxious and was just like "whatever, I need this now!@#@!". I honestly forget if the system was covered in plastic or whatever in retrospect. Dumb move on my part, and maybe the guy didn't have a receipt anyways. But it is by no ways a "busted" system or anything like that.

jm2u - Is there any way I can check the hard drive "externally"? (ie. not having to put it in my laptop, but maybe use some sort of adapter that uses a USB cable or something?) I would like to take care of this myself first if possible, and I would hate to have to send my system in only to find out that it was, in fact, a busted HDD I could replace myself. Thanks again.

I bought a PS3 the saturday after Black Friday from WalMart, and I just opened it today. Whithin the time I was setting up the settings, I noticed that it got hot from the right side. Is it normal for a PS3 to get hot that quickly? Also, should I return it and get another one before the time to exchange it at WalMart runs out?

If you have it placed horizontally, I believe the right side is where the vent is. Its hot there because the fan is doing its job and getting the heat OUT of the unit.

You should store your PS3 vertically, so the vent is on top.

Thanks for the advise, I do have it horizontally. What I noticed is that the PS3 doesn't heat up badly, but I was surprised to see that within 5 minutes it was hot. I hadn't even started to play a game and it felt warm. I hope its nothing big.

So here's the deal. A guy I played in Resistance is constantly harassing me on PSN. Now I'm all for a little trash talking, but this is kind of over the line. I was on the guys team in a CTF match, and he said over the mic to keep playing so they could raise their stats. Well my friend and I didn't want to deal with a 30 minute match just so guys can get their stats up in a cheap way, so we finished up the flag match. After the game the guy sends me a message calling me a "noob" even though he had only played like a hundred games. Anyway, he keeps sending me friend requests and messages over PSN calling me a "noob" and constantly swearing in all his messages. How do I report this dickhead?

[quote name='Blackout542']So here's the deal. A guy I played in Resistance is constantly harassing me on PSN. Now I'm all for a little trash talking, but this is kind of over the line. I was on the guys team in a CTF match, and he said over the mic to keep playing so they could raise their stats. Well my friend and I didn't want to deal with a 30 minute match just so guys can get their stats up in a cheap way, so we finished up the flag match. After the game the guy sends me a message calling me a "noob" even though he had only played like a hundred games. Anyway, he keeps sending me friend requests and messages over PSN calling me a "noob" and constantly swearing in all his messages. How do I report this dickhead?[/QUOTE]Two things you can do, there's a way to report people in the game (I forgot how), or you could just block him. I believe if you go under recent players (I think Resistance players are listed), I think there's an option to block someone).

bread's done
Back