PS3 FAQ's: PSN, Gaming, Hardware, Accessories, Gen. Discussions...etc.

[quote name='thrillednchilled']Everywhere I look I only see 40GB versions of a new PS3. Is there any official word of more releases? I want to use my stimulus check to buy a PS3, but don't want to buy the 40GB and then have a better version released a month later.

Thanks in advance for any info.[/quote]
I'm surprised no one has answered this. As for right now, there is only the 40 GB model on the market (why, I don't know). If you want an 80GB, wait for the MGS4 bundle, I believe it'll be out on 6-12 and is one I would definitely recommend waiting for.

[quote name='NoSide']Hi;

Yesterday I installed a PS3 on my 1080i TV with a HDMI cable. When I turn on the TV and the PS3 the only thing I see is static. I really frek out. but then when I pres "X" on the control the game stars and everything goes normal and I can play the game. So I conclude that, for any reason I can not see only the menu of the PS3 (the one that appears with out a game when the PS3 is turn on).
I think it something with the set-up. I havent connect the RCA cables yet. I would like to see it only on HDMI.

have anyone have any idea?

Thanks[/quote]

While the system is off, try holding down the power button for about 5 seconds...make sure its only plugged in via HDMI if you want HDMI, or RCA if you want RCA.

I need your guys opinions, I want a PS3, and if I could get myself a summer job I might be able to snag one by the end of June (got an interview at a k-mart tomorrow). Anyway my question to you guys is lets say I could afford one in June, do you think it would be a good idea to get it in June or wait until e3 in July to pick one up to see if there is any new models? I would only be getting GTA IV with it to start, because that will keep me busy for awhile and it would be probably the only game I could afford with it.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I need your guys opinions, I want a PS3, and if I could get myself a summer job I might be able to snag one by the end of June (got an interview at a k-mart tomorrow). Anyway my question to you guys is lets say I could afford one in June, do you think it would be a good idea to get it in June or wait until e3 in July to pick one up to see if there is any new models? I would only be getting GTA IV with it to start, because that will keep me busy for awhile and it would be probably the only game I could afford with it.[/QUOTE]

Either get the MSG4 80GB bundle, or use your new job skills to search for a 60GB in the system...then use your discount, if possible.

Question: I'm going to be buying my brother's 60GB PS3 as he's getting the MGS4 Limited Edition PS3 (the 40GB, gun metal one). Is there any way to transfer his PSN ID/games/downloads from his old PS3 to the new one? Otherwise, that'll complicate things.

[quote name='Vinny']Question: I'm going to be buying my brother's 60GB PS3 as he's getting the MGS4 Limited Edition PS3 (the 40GB, gun metal one). Is there any way to transfer his PSN ID/games/downloads from his old PS3 to the new one? Otherwise, that'll complicate things.[/quote]
For the easy way, a full system backup should save everything.

If he can't do that, he could just make a new ps3 user id (not psn, the user id that is all the way to the left of the XMB), then sign into his PSN account. Any PSN purchases should be able to be redownloaded.

[quote name='mguiddy']For the easy way, a full system backup should save everything.

If he can't do that, he could just make a new ps3 user id (not psn, the user id that is all the way to the left of the XMB), then sign into his PSN account. Any PSN purchases should be able to be redownloaded.[/QUOTE]

I don't understand the first method (the easy way). You mean just back up everything to some storage device (USB drive, memory stick) and then copy it to the new system?

For the 2nd way, should he first delete everything on the old PS3 before creating a new user ID and logging into his PSN ID and re-downloading everything?

He's got some downloaded PS1 games and also saves from PS1/PS2/PS3 games too, if those are treated differently.

[quote name='Vinny']I don't understand the first method (the easy way). You mean just back up everything to some storage device (USB drive, memory stick) and then copy it to the new system?

For the 2nd way, should he first delete everything on the old PS3 before creating a new user ID and logging into his PSN ID and re-downloading everything?

He's got some downloaded PS1 games and also saves from PS1/PS2/PS3 games too, if those are treated differently.[/quote]
Theres an option in the Setting menu, I believe it's "System Setting >> Backup Utility". It backs up everything (including demos/videos/music/pictures/virtual memory cards/saves/etc so he may want to delete any demos/videos/etc that he doesn't need to save space, if he doesn't have a USB hard drive) to flash drive/memory card/usb hard drive.
Then there's a option that will restore a backup to the system.
Youtube video showing how to backup PS3 system in the spoiler. Prepare to watch about 4 minutes of "Backing up...." then 4 minutes of "Restoring.....", but it shows how to get to the correct option.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17-1HKZSnvw[/media]

He doesn't really have to delete anything off the old PS3. In fact, if he leaves his old PS3 id on it you should be able to play any PSN or PS1 downloaded games he has. I've never done gamesharing but that's basically how it works.

I think it's possible, but I've never backed up saves/virtual memory cards without doing a full system backup.

[quote name='Vinny']Me again, and a new thought just came to my head.

Couldn't we just swap the HDs?[/quote]

I don't see that being a problem.
Some things aren't stored on the HD though... I know things like internet settings aren't... I'm not sure what else is though.

[quote name='mguiddy']Theres an option in the Setting menu, I believe it's "System Setting >> Backup Utility". It backs up everything (including demos/videos/music/pictures/virtual memory cards/saves/etc so he may want to delete any demos/videos/etc that he doesn't need to save space, if he doesn't have a USB hard drive) to flash drive/memory card/usb hard drive.
Then there's a option that will restore a backup to the system.
Youtube video showing how to backup PS3 system in the spoiler. Prepare to watch about 4 minutes of "Backing up...." then 4 minutes of "Restoring.....", but it shows how to get to the correct option.

He doesn't really have to delete anything off the old PS3. In fact, if he leaves his old PS3 id on it you should be able to play any PSN or PS1 downloaded games he has. I've never done gamesharing but that's basically how it works.

I think it's possible, but I've never backed up saves/virtual memory cards without doing a full system backup.[/quote]

It's funny since i'm in the similar shoe... Anyhow, i totally get the backup and restore thing. However, it would be interesting to know what will happen if you're trying to restore a backup from a 60gb to a 40gb PS3 (provided that the backup from the 60gb is about 50gb used).

Anyhow, two more questions... #1 What happens if you pull out the installed hdd (40/60/80gb) in the PS3 and put a brand new 2.5" hdd (assuming it's formatted, but not necessarily have any PS3 system files)? Will the PS3 boot up at all? If yes, then i believe you can just use the restore function and solve the problem instantly (the backed up data is on an external hdd)...

#2, if the new hdd fails to boot the PS3, how do i get it to boot? The problem is that 2.5" hdd can't be hooked up via usb w/o getting some of that usb converter kits (around $20, basically converting the 2.5" hdd to an external hdd).

thanks in advance!

[quote name='Vinny']Me again, and a new thought just came to my head.

Couldn't we just swap the HDs?[/quote]

In your case, that's the simplest thing to do... Worse case scenario, just need to reconfigure the wireless setup again (i.e. type in the access code, which is not a biggie, unless you got a long ass code).

[quote name='Serpentor']It's funny since i'm in the similar shoe... Anyhow, i totally get the backup and restore thing. However, it would be interesting to know what will happen if you're trying to restore a backup from a 60gb to a 40gb PS3 (provided that the backup from the 60gb is about 50gb used).

Anyhow, two more questions... #1 What happens if you pull out the installed hdd (40/60/80gb) in the PS3 and put a brand new 2.5" hdd (assuming it's formatted, but not necessarily have any PS3 system files)? Will the PS3 boot up at all? If yes, then i believe you can just use the restore function and solve the problem instantly (the backed up data is on an external hdd)...

#2, if the new hdd fails to boot the PS3, how do i get it to boot? The problem is that 2.5" hdd can't be hooked up via usb w/o getting some of that usb converter kits (around $20, basically converting the 2.5" hdd to an external hdd).

thanks in advance![/quote]

For the two questions, i think i got answers... #1, if a hdd is installed, the PS3 will boot. It will format the hdd if it's not. #2 since it will boot with the new hdd, you can restore the backed up data from the external hdd. Case closed? I hope so, since that's what i'm gonna do to upgrade the gunmetal PS3's hdd.

Errr, here's a PS3 question probably never have been asked before...

Does the PS3 memory card adapter work both ways? That is, allow you copy the game saves from a PS2 memory to the PS3's virtual memory card and from PS3's virtual memory card (of the PS2 game saves) back to the PS2's memory card?

Well, i'm one of the few actually going backward, i.e. getting a PS3 before the PS2. If the gunmetal PS3 has limited BWC like the 80gb, then i probably don't need to get a PS2, but it's not... And i might be selling my 60gb PS3 if all upgrades are good for the gunmetal PS3 (a lot of work if you ask me, but it's gunmetal :))

[quote name='Serpentor']Does the PS3 memory card adapter work both ways? That is, allow you copy the game saves from a PS2 memory to the PS3's virtual memory card and from PS3's virtual memory card (of the PS2 game saves) back to the PS2's memory card?

[/quote]

It didn't at launch, but it does now. That was part of either update 1.70 or 1.80. (I don't remember which.)

[quote name='Jasonofindy']It didn't at launch, but it does now. That was part of either update 1.70 or 1.80. (I don't remember which.)[/quote]

That's cool, thanks!

[quote name='Serpentor']Errr, here's a PS3 question probably never have been asked before...

Does the PS3 memory card adapter work both ways? That is, allow you copy the game saves from a PS2 memory to the PS3's virtual memory card and from PS3's virtual memory card (of the PS2 game saves) back to the PS2's memory card?

Well, i'm one of the few actually going backward, i.e. getting a PS3 before the PS2. If the gunmetal PS3 has limited BWC like the 80gb, then i probably don't need to get a PS2, but it's not... And i might be selling my 60gb PS3 if all upgrades are good for the gunmetal PS3 (a lot of work if you ask me, but it's gunmetal :))[/quote]
The LE PS3 is only a 40GB, which doesn't have any PS2 BC at all, so if you're looking for BC, keep an eye out for the 80GB that comes with MGS4 packed in, which will play most PS2 games, when the game comes on in a few weeks.

Hi All,

First, I am not a gamer so please don't behead me in your midst, LOL.

I do already have a PS3 for Blu-Ray functionality, but I have the following question:

I am purple, but would like to be able to play Region B Blus as well, without shelling out $1000 for a multi-region BD player.

1) Can anyone provide definitive answers on if the UK PS3 will work with US power supply (or do I need some kind of converter?).

I know many BD are region free according to several websites such as releaselists.com (has link on bottom left to region code info), but I've found there are always those, where info is not available in time, and they won't be released in the US at all, or not until the next year.

2) Also, will it work with my TV (42 or 50" Panasonic Plasma)-or is this not an issue.

I am aware that some stores have geographical shipping restrictions, but I want to research the info in case this is possible.

I also realize that this has probably been asked a million times-so if there are other threads or links I should be referring to, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
smile.gif

In New Jersey USA

Still Love HD DVD?

Come join THE BOMBSHELTER!
Trade HD DVD's, discuss imports, specs, pool orders, set ups, sales, coupons, and much more! 1000+ members!
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/thebombshelter/

Enter "sariena_carmichael_98" in your join request- for preferred approval.
About me:
===========
Over 250 HD DVD's and Blus
42" and 50" Panasonic Plasma
103" Screen/LCD Projector
Toshiba A2, 2 A-35's, USA PS3 and Panasonic BD30K

When the PS Store was web-based, I was able to use my credit card to make exact payments for stuff I bought. I can't figure out how to do this in the new store -- it only allows me to add $5, $20, etc. amounts. Did Sony make it impossible to pay exactly the amount of your cart? That would just suck!

Ok, I am about to buy a ps3 but I am having trouble deciding which model to get. It would be great if some of you guys could provide some input.

I have two choices:
1. 40gb $399.99+tax plus $100 walmart gift card
2. 80gb MGS bundle $499.99(no tax amazon)

From that the 40gb looks like the better value, but I really hate to get a console that is missing features.

I still own my ps2 and still play games on it. How well does the 80gb backwards compatibility work and does the upscaling make playing ps2 games on the ps3 worth it?

Are the 2 extra USB ports in the 80gb model ever neccesary? (IE: are there any situations in which you need more than two usb ports?)

Is the lack of a flash card reader and SACD support ever a problem ever in the 40gb? (What is SACD?)

I have also considered attempting to get the $100.00 walmart gift card with the MGS bundle.

Anyway, I'm really having trouble making a decision, Anybody got any input?

Edit: Never mind, I'll just get the 80gb with the giftcard now that it is included.

Is there an accessory that allows PS2 controllers to be played on the PS3, and if so, how is the performance? I have 2 of the Street Fighter 2 special edition controllers with the 6 button layout on the front like the arcade cabinets/Genesis/Saturn controllers specifically designed for fighting games and if there's not an adapter that will work I might as well sell the controllers.

I am going to bite on the wal-mart PS3 deal happening this week. I am going to get GTA4 of course, but I don't know what game I should also get. I was leaning towards COD4 or Orange Box. I do want to play other people online, so a game that has alot of people still playing it would be awesome :D. I was also thinking of warhawk, but is it still playable without the BT headset?

COD4 and Warhawk are excellent choices if you're into playing shooters online, and we have CAG nights that you can participate in if you happen to get either of those games. :D

Warhawk IS playable without the headset, though you won't be able to communicate with anyone without one. It's worth having it IMHO, especially for COD4 or other online games.

Never got into the R&C games, so no on that one :p. This is going to be my first sony console(home console, I've owned a PSP for a couple years now).. I was always a big N freak(

^^^ To answer your question... in my experience, I've always found it easy to find people playing online, even during the late night hours, though obviously there won't be as much people playing as during the day. There's still a good amount of people that stay up to play online.
Anyhow, you can easily find games online in both COD4 and Warhawk since they're both very popular on the PS3. You can't go wrong with whatever game you choose, both are excellent. ;)

What about Orange Box(TF2 mainly)(I still need to play episode 2.. sad I know :(.. but oh well) or Unreal Tournament 3?

[quote name='0x3g3n']What about Orange Box(TF2 mainly)(I still need to play episode 2.. sad I know :(.. but oh well) or Unreal Tournament 3?[/quote]

To be honest, I think you're better off getting the PC version of TOB because it just runs better. There's lots of annoying loading times, especially when you die in Portal... it can take up to ten seconds of loading just for you to respawn, and if you've never played Portal, it will get frustrating quite fast. TF2, never touched it, so I can't say. PC version loading times aren't near as long as that of the PS3 version. I think that goes for TF2 as well, but I've only played with it online once... I sold it almost as soon as I played with it. :p

UT3, it's fun and all online though I haven't played it in months and I've never really touched the main storyline, so I couldn't tell you anything about that. A bit laggy at times, though it's generally minor most of the time. There's a CAG night for UT3 as well. ;)

Like everyone else, I'm getting a PS3 in a few weeks for MGS4. Anyway, I have a few questions.

1. Is the Sony PS3 remote the best for the price? Or is there a third party remote that I'd be better off getting instead? I intend to use the PS3 my DVD player as well as my Bluray player.

2. Regarding the Memory Adapter, is it worth the $13.00? If I've read correctly, you only need to use it once and then it transfers your saves from your memory cards onto the PS3 and creates basically virtual memory cards making the device and memory cards a bit useless then. I figure perhaps a kind CAG would let me borrow it and I can send it back, or just get my friend who is getting a PS3 to get it. :lol:

3. Exclusives. What PS3 exclusives am I missing out on? I'm getting MGS4, Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, as well as Eye of Judgment. Anything else?

4. Is the HDMI connection on the PS3 proprietary? Or can I just order a cheap one off MonoPrice and be good to go?

COD 4 and Warhawk are definitely better multiplayer games. I don't necessarily like FPS and Warhawk dragged me in easily. MLB 08 the Show is outstanding if you like baseball. I'm a single-player fan mostly so what I can recommend in that realm is Burnout Paradise (I never played an older version, but I hear old fans don't like it... I have a blast with it), AC, Motorstorm, ResistanceFOM, and especially MGS4.. grab the 1-3 pack if you have a BC PS3.

I'm assuming you do NOT have a 360...soooo:

- COD4 is a GREAT game.
- MLB 08 is the BEST baseball game out there currently. I highly recommend if you are a sports fan.
- Uncharted is a good single player
- Ratchet and Clank the same

1.Yes
2.No. Have your friend get it or you buy it, use it, then return it.
3.If you like online gaming Warhawk is great.
4. Any HDMI cable will work fine

[quote name='Sockey']Ok, I am about to buy a ps3 but I am having trouble deciding which model to get. It would be great if some of you guys could provide some input.

I have two choices:
1. 40gb $399.99+tax plus $100 walmart gift card
2. 80gb MGS bundle $499.99(no tax amazon)

From that the 40gb looks like the better value, but I really hate to get a console that is missing features.

I still own my ps2 and still play games on it. How well does the 80gb backwards compatibility work and does the upscaling make playing ps2 games on the ps3 worth it?

Are the 2 extra USB ports in the 80gb model ever neccesary? (IE: are there any situations in which you need more than two usb ports?)

Is the lack of a flash card reader and SACD support ever a problem ever in the 40gb? (What is SACD?)

I have also considered attempting to get the $100.00 walmart gift card with the MGS bundle.

Anyway, I'm really having trouble making a decision, Anybody got any input?[/quote]

Get the 80gig with the 100 dollar gift card from WM when that starts.

[quote name='yukine']Like everyone else, I'm getting a PS3 in a few weeks for MGS4. Anyway, I have a few questions.

1. Is the Sony PS3 remote the best for the price? Or is there a third party remote that I'd be better off getting instead? I intend to use the PS3 my DVD player as well as my Bluray player.

2. Regarding the Memory Adapter, is it worth the $13.00? If I've read correctly, you only need to use it once and then it transfers your saves from your memory cards onto the PS3 and creates basically virtual memory cards making the device and memory cards a bit useless then. I figure perhaps a kind CAG would let me borrow it and I can send it back, or just get my friend who is getting a PS3 to get it. :lol:

3. Exclusives. What PS3 exclusives am I missing out on? I'm getting MGS4, Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, as well as Eye of Judgment. Anything else?

4. Is the HDMI connection on the PS3 proprietary? Or can I just order a cheap one off MonoPrice and be good to go?[/quote]

The memory card adapter is on clearance at KMart. So you may want to check there if you have any nearby.
You can use it to transfer saves back onto the card if you need to for some reason.

[quote name='smiggity']Get the 80gig with the 100 dollar gift card from WM when that starts.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, looks like my problem has answered itself.

[quote name='yukine']Like everyone else, I'm getting a PS3 in a few weeks for MGS4. Anyway, I have a few questions.

1. Is the Sony PS3 remote the best for the price? Or is there a third party remote that I'd be better off getting instead? I intend to use the PS3 my DVD player as well as my Bluray player.[/quote]I recommend using the official remote. It's pretty good and I really like it.

There's a thread somewhere about a memory card, sending it to different CAGs, I dunno. I have two of them, but I kind of offered my other one to a friend already.

You can copy from the memory card adapter to PS3, and from the PS3 back to a PS2 memory card (Firmware 1.8 added that). It's good to have IMO because if you are going to play on a PS1/PS2, you can copy back.

Once you get a PS3, you can use a USB flash drive, SD Card, Compact Flash, Memory Stick Pro, etc. to transfer data (I even transferred it to my PC also so do a double backup).

Those are pretty good, but I will admit Heavenly Sword is one that not everyone will like (combat is a bit different).

Anyway, some others that come to my mind are:
Folklore (IMO, highly underrated Action RPG)
GT5: Prologue (although a bit on the short side and possibly best to wait for the price to drop a little, the controls are terrific and plays really good)
Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds (if you are into the series, it's excellent)
Ratchet & Clank Future: ToD (My favorite PS3 game after Uncharted)
Ridge Racer 7 (Best RR IMO, but if you aren't into the series, you will not like it)
SingStar (if you want a good Karaoke game, this is the game. Awesome downloads)
Warhawk (I personally think it's good, but it's a like it or hate it game)

And a game like Time Crisis 4 is something you'll either like or hate. I like it since I'm into Time Crisis and light-gun games, but the graphics are nothing special and it's short. I also like Formula One: CE (there's a demo up, but I assume most aren't into Formula 1 racing like me) and I like MotorStorm (but do feel it lacks gameplay modes and quite hard, but the sequel should fix the issues).

Also, I'd recommend downloading PSN games like:
Everyday Shooter
High Velocity Bowling (It was the bowling game I played on the video chat)
PixelJunk Monsters (addictive RTS)
Super Stardust HD (Highly Recommended)
Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection Online (I'm a big fan of Tekken 5, and this is the best version IMO, due to online and Arcade perfect in HD).
Wild Arms PS1 download (If you want an RPG and never bought one. Only $6 too)
Wipeout HD (when it comes out)

4. Is the HDMI connection on the PS3 proprietary? Or can I just order a cheap one off MonoPrice and be good to go?
Any standard HDMI cable will work. If you don't have to convert to DVI, just use a Male to Male cable. I got mine for $5.25 at monoprice.com (cheaper now) and no issues.

Hope this helps. :D

Does anybody have problems with DMC4 crashing during loading or transition to a new area of the game? Mine just happen 2x in 15 mins and the only thing i can think of is the recent firmware upgrade. Anybody has this issue?

I have one thing holding me back. I have a 360 which I would sell but I have invested quite the amount in Rock Band songs and am wondering if anyone knows or thinks that Sony/ Microsoft/ EA/ Harmonix would transfer the songs I bought. I rather doubt it but if anyone has experience I would love to know. Thanks in advance.

Soule

bread's done
Back