PS3 FAQ's: PSN, Gaming, Hardware, Accessories, Gen. Discussions...etc.

I am looking for anyone who can convert a Max file or a cbs file into a psv file. Or if anyone has a save for Kingdom Hearts 2 at level 99 BEFORE they fought sephiroth. Thank you!

Yeah, this is the year that the PS3 finally comes into its own and is not longer a "me too-er" of 360 games. Don't get me wrong, I love my 360 and I pat the Wii on the head (yet don't give NEARLY as much love to it that I give to my other two) but there's something about the PS3 that says "I'm the shit" ... hopefully Home and some PSP cross-functionality (c'mon DVD streaming) will seal the deal of "the shit"-ness.

[quote name='buffalo']Well guys they had the 80 gig MGS4 bundle in stock so picked it up along with Uncharted: Drake's Forture...wow it's a shiny sexy beast and still shocked and can't believe I own the 80 gig PS3:D:D...well guys off to play what I heard so many great things about MGS4:):D.[/QUOTE]

Enjoy MGS4 - perhaps the best game I've ever played.

[quote name='adelgary']And no Super Audio CD (SACD) playback.[/quote]

the 80 gig has that? I actually would have bought the 80 instead just for the chance to have "Dark Side" on SACD and the ability to play it... wish I had known.

get ratchet and clank used dont buy it full price. its a very quick play fun but quick even after replaying it for the extra stuff theres not alot there to warrant a full price.

One thing you need to know: DO NOT get Resistance Fall of Man! All the other games you listed are fantastic, but Resistance is perhaps the most over-rated FPS I've ever played. I know you probably already have COD4 and other multi-platform FPS's on your 360, but save yourself the $$. That's just my opinion, but you are better off without it.

I think there is talk about Resistance becoming one of the rumored "classic" titles (ala PS2) and getting a permanent price cut, but who knows if that is true. I'm sure with R2 on the way, it R1 will get a price drop to spur interest in the sequel. I was just very underwhelmed with the first game overall.

Thanks guys as MGS4 is amazing, loving it and looks so real...WOW, plan to fire up Uncharted after work tomorrow, really appreciate the feedback but looking forward to finally checking out Resistance & Ratchet & Clank Future next as I probably will get them this weekend when I'm off...well my PSN is buffalo29 so add me...have a good one.

Congrats on the 80GB MGS4 bundle, I read your post a little late and was going to recommend that you stay clear of the 40GB version and keep looking for the 80GB or even the 60GB which is the best PS3 version in my opinion.

I would recommend PSN titles like Everyday Shooter, Super Stardust HD (so delicious), Echochrome and Pixeljunk Monsters but if you don't like to use your credit card you should wait for those PSN cards that are supposed to be out soon. I would also recommend Burnout Paradise, GTA IV and Call Of Duty 4 unless you already have them for the 360.

I would also recommend Grand Theft Auto IV for the PS3. It's definitely an upgrade from the PS2/Xbox/PC trilogy and has some great moments in it. However, they took out the firefighting and paramedic missions and added more 'dating' and other side quest junk which I wish they would've eliminated since San Andreas.

Either way, it's still a great game and well worth a look at least.

If you were into the God Of War series on PS2, might I recommend Conan for the PS3. It's about $30 most places and is definitely a very good God Of War clone.

Also, if you can find a copy of Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom at either Kmart or Sears, you can get it for $5 or so. It's a decent enough Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance/Marvel Ultimate Alliance type action RPG clone.

Just a few suggestions to get your PS3 collection started....

Thanks for the feedback guys, already own GTA IV, COD4 and Burnout: Paradise for the 360, will lookout for the others you mention, again really appreciate the positive feedback I've received:D...look for me online, now off to bed.

[quote name='evanft']No.[/quote]
Oh.

Well the 40 gig model it is. I don't need backwards-compatibility since I have 3 PS2s to play all the old games (1 for everyday use and 2 in storage for backup).

Just wondering:

Why won't the PS3 operate without the hard drive? What does it use the HD for? Why can't it operate w/o it?

I don't blame you. Backwards-compatibility is especially useless if you have an LCD monitor, as I recently discovered. PS2 games look like shit, with or without the smooth filtering. I can now see why they discontinued it.

[quote name='rrrrrroger']Oh.

Well the 40 gig model it is. I don't need backwards-compatibility since I have 3 PS2s to play all the old games (1 for everyday use and 2 in storage for backup).[/quote]

1 thing.

It takes forever to download and install.

Also takes forever to setup profiles, f@h, and internet connections.

Godddd

[quote name='rrrrrroger']Just wondering:

Why won't the PS3 operate without the hard drive? What does it use the HD for? Why can't it operate w/o it?[/quote]

I'm not for sure but I think it's because there's no internal memory on it like the Wii has, plus most of the retail games require an install to the hard drive to work. The 360 doesn't require you to have a hard drive, but you can't save anything, not even settings or a profile, without a hard drive or at least a memory unit.

Alright, so i'm buying my ps3 this saturday, and i'm going on vacation next week. I need a good case that can protect the love of life and preferably something with a shoulder strap. The 20-30 dollars price range is about what i'm looking to pay for it and any and all suggestions would be appreciated!

This would probably be a good one:

61%2BUaHWNR0L._SL500_AA280_.gif

[quote name='MSUHitman']I'm not for sure but I think it's because there's no internal memory on it like the Wii has, plus most of the retail games require an install to the hard drive to work. The 360 doesn't require you to have a hard drive, but you can't save anything, not even settings or a profile, without a hard drive or at least a memory unit.[/quote] Interesting. Does the Wii need an HD to work?

The Sony PlayStation 2 was discontinued? If that's true I better grab another one before it disappears completely.

Just an observation I've made about the PS3-when I eject a disc, even after I've been playing for hours and the system is hot, the disc itself feels completely cool, like it's just been sitting in it's case. I really think they've done a much better job with cooling than the 360...

[quote name='rrrrrroger']Interesting. Does the Wii need an HD to work?[/quote]

No, the Wii has 512MB of flash RAM/ROM.

The Playstation 3 probably doesn't work without a drive just because it's a standard feature in every system. There'd be no (or little) reason for them to make it work without it. The Xbox 1 probably didn't work without its drive either (and thankfully the PS3 just uses normal SATA notebook drives, which should be around for a long time).

The Sony PlayStation 2 was discontinued? If that's true I better grab another one before it disappears completely.

No, it wasn't. It'll probably be around for years to come. Certainly for the next couple of years.

So far the new 80GB Playstation 3 seems to work with EVERY Playstation 1/2 game I throw at it though. I remember reading that the 80GB unit wasn't compatible with Shadow of Destiny, but from what I can tell, it is now. So that's all really good news.

I wish it offered a true wired controller though. Can't stand a lot of things about that pad.

Lately I've been getting COMPLETELY fed up with the amount of times I've had to deal with problems relating to my 360. It has led me to look at the PS3, I think the 360 has a bit better exclusives but I can sacrifice a little to know my system will work when I want to play.

1. I really know VERY little about the PS3, what are some of the games coming out that are exclusive that people are looking forward to?

2. How is the online play?

3. Is there any reports of any problems the hardware has or has anyone had problems with theirs?

Also if there is anything else I should know about this fine piece of hardware let me know.

Thanks for looking.

dont expect this thread to last, it'll be moved soon. Like mine use to...lol

but to answer the question, just get one. Are any of the complaints really going to deter you from getting a ps3? Online play is what it is, works fine, its not xbl, but in-game messageing and other things have made it better. No problems i've had, plus its WAY quieter than my jet engine 360. So that right there is a huge plus for the ps3.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']dont expect this thread to last, it'll be moved soon. Like mine use to...lol

but to answer the question, just get one. Are any of the complaints really going to deter you from getting a ps3? Online play is what it is, works fine, its not xbl, but in-game messageing and other things have made it better. No problems i've had, plus its WAY quieter than my jet engine 360. So that right there is a huge plus for the ps3.[/QUOTE]

Yes! People telling me that there are problems with the PS3 hardware would definitely deter me from getting one. I really don't follow it much so I don't know. I'm just doing some research now. And where exactly would this be moved to?

just get a nice school backpack. "specialty" bags are where the 80% profit margins come in which means you are overpaying.

[quote name='FrankySox']Yes! People telling me that there are problems with the PS3 hardware would definitely deter me from getting one. I really don't follow it much so I don't know. I'm just doing some research now. And where exactly would this be moved to?[/QUOTE]

yeah it would, but you wont hear that. except for one rabid ps3 owner whos broke. I'd say most cags on here would say the reliability of the ps3 vs 360 was night and day.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']yeah it would, but you wont hear that. except for one rabid ps3 owner whos broke. I'd say most cags on here would say the reliability of the ps3 vs 360 was night and day.[/QUOTE]

Well that's good to here. But mostly I wasn't looking for someone to persuade me not to get one I was just wondering about games and such that were coming out. Really the only thing I know about is Gran Turismo 4 because of the AWFUL commercials. I was also wondering about must own exclusives for the system that are currently available.

PS3 hardware is fine

It also has some nice exclusives already out and coming out this year (MGS, Resistance 2, Little Big Planet, Killzone, etc)

Unlike last year, I can recommend a PS3 to just about anyone.

**Note** I posted this in the blog section but didn't get any replies, so I'm putting it in the PS3 forum. If it's preferred I remove it from the blogs so it's not a double-post, I'll gladly do so.

So, I'm moving soon and want to downsize a little. Here's the deal:

Currently have a PS3 hooked up via HDMI to an HDTV my roommate and I acquired, which he's buying my share of when our lease ends and we go our separate ways. Rather than sink cash into a heavy, large TV that I don't have much else of a use for, I'm much more inclined to buy a new monitor that accepts HDMI. This has the added benefit of being able to keep all of this stuff in 1 central location in my room at my new house.

Ideally, I want one that also accepts component (and composite or S-video if possible) so I can use other systems on it. Not overly concerned about 720p vs 1080p, although if I could find one that goes higher within my price range, I certainly wouldn't complain.

Speakers would be nice, but not necessary since mounted speakers usually suck anyway. My PC has optical audio in, so the lack of speakers won't effect the PS3 even over HDMI. Could be a problem for other consoles.

Most importantly, I'd like to spend less than $400. Here's the best fit I've been able to find so far:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824113014

But, I usually use Newegg because of it's excellent review system, but this monitor only has 1 review, and it isn't very thorough. Thoughts, impressions, suggestions?

Wouldnt a smaller Flat Panel TV that has all the inputs you need be better than a monitor just wondering why you want a montior than a smaller LCD TV?

I have a 24" Westinghouse monitor that has HDMI, VGA, Component, and S_Video Inputs directly on it and is 1920x1200, only downside to a monitor is calibration and customizations is not as good as a tv, and no remote. Mine is last years model but now they have a new 24" and 26" both with the inputs and 1920x1200.

[quote name='Zero_Shadow']Wouldnt a smaller Flat Panel TV that has all the inputs you need be better than a monitor just wondering why you want a montior than a smaller LCD TV?[/quote]

Because then I would have a smaller TV AND a computer monitor for my current PC setup. I want everything running on one screen at one desk for one chair.

Otherwise, not a bad suggestion.

About the online play, I've heard from a lot of 360 owners, that online is really quiet on the PS3. I've heard it attributed to a lack of microphones, and that may have something to do with it, but I've noticed that some times I don't even power my mic up when playing, because I'd rather play then talk.

[quote name='robobagins']I think what Zero_Shadow is saying is you could use the TV as a monitor. I do this myself for my backup computer.[/quote]

Ah. What do you think the odds are of finding a TV that fits what I'm looking for within my price range (in this case, also including VGA or DVI)? I currently have a 22" monitor and would hate to downgrade size-wise, it's kind of spoiled me. But if it's plausible I'd consider it!

that looks like a nice monitor. I was able to get a 24" Samsung (model is 240p, not sure if it is a 'p' or something else) for $350. People rag on the TN panels, ans their colours aren't as nice as the mva panels. But they are fast for gaming, and they still look pretty damn good. My only complaint with my monitor is that it can't do aspect scaling, or 1:1. But even stretching 16:9 to 16:10, it looks fine on my ps3.
~S

Probably a stupid question but is there anyway to get my Japanese 20GB online to play against people in the US? I've been able to download demos and trailers but it tells me that I have to switch language to get into lobbys. My Japanese isn't quite good enough so I'm kind of at the end of the road with it. Thanks ahead of time for any assistance you guys can provide.

Alright so i just bought my brand new metal gear solid ps3 bundle, the problem? I'm bad at setting stuff up, and my tv. Now i have a 32' hd samsung tv, and i cannot find the place to put in the av cables. There is only red/white in the back, but no friggin yellow. And i've checked every square inch of my tv and there's no yellow =( any help would be nice as i really want to start playing mgs4 and yes i know i am really retarded​

You probably should've ordered a HDMI cable along with your bundle, you're not gonna get the full effect playing mgs4 through composite cable on HD tv. You can get a cheap HDMI cable from monoprice.

[quote name='depascal22']Probably a stupid question but is there anyway to get my Japanese 20GB online to play against people in the US? I've been able to download demos and trailers but it tells me that I have to switch language to get into lobbys. My Japanese isn't quite good enough so I'm kind of at the end of the road with it. Thanks ahead of time for any assistance you guys can provide.[/QUOTE]It depends I believe. Games which are Japanese (and if you are playing a Japanese import), you may be locked into a Japanese server. If you play a U.S. game, then it should work, but no guarantee, I think. Sorry, I dunno who tried this before (I'd have to go to a larger PS3 site for info).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']It depends I believe. Games which are Japanese (and if you are playing a Japanese import), you may be locked into a Japanese server. If you play a U.S. game, then it should work, but no guarantee, I think. Sorry, I dunno who tried this before (I'd have to go to a larger PS3 site for info).[/quote]

Thanks, brother. I might just give the folks at Sony a call and see if they know anything.

I started to make a new thread but oh well I'll put it here -

is this video of the PS3's new break apart controller? What makes me think so is the slip of the tongue the says during the video when it almost refers to the motion controller as a "Dual ...." something. Him saying Dual leads me to believe that perhaps the periphreal is Sony based... oh well just pure speculation on my part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kjBASqJzzY

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back