PS3 FAQ's: PSN, Gaming, Hardware, Accessories, Gen. Discussions...etc.

[quote name='LordKefka06']Haven't heard anything about a price drop.

Best bet is just to buy retail or get lucky with a YMMV bundle/deal[/QUOTE]

Not a price drop per se, but a different model offered at the $300 price point. But then again I could be way off base with that. The $300 model is really a pretty good deal already.

I bought Critter Crunch off Amazon and redeemed the code on my computer. I went on my PS3 to download it on PSN. It did but it's not showing up under my Games tab. Can anyone help me out?

[quote name='icedrake523']I bought Critter Crunch off Amazon and redeemed the code on my computer. I went on my PS3 to download it on PSN. It did but it's not showing up under my Games tab. Can anyone help me out?[/QUOTE]

Did you actually download the game from the PSN Store download list? Or just used the code? Using the code just places the game on your account's download list, you have to actually download the game after that

[quote name='icedrake523']I redeemed the code online and went to my download list to DL it. But there's nothing for it under Games.[/QUOTE]

Oh! I know what's wrong. Download the demo for it, I think the code must've been just the unlock of the full game. So, download the demo, if it doesn't get unlocked automatically, re-download the amazon code and that should do it

[quote name='ZForce915']What's the deal with the shortages on PS3s? I went to 4 Wal-Mart locations and nothing![/QUOTE]

Good question. I've got a 60, but I went to my local Targets and they had absolutely no PS3's at all (at 3 different stores).

[quote name='icedrake523']I got a trophy in a game when I wasn't signed into my account (couldn't get connected to the internet). Does that matter?[/QUOTE]
You will still get the trophy on your account when you sign online, since the trophy is connected to your profile.

[quote name='GamerLina']which is the best ps3 controller to get[/QUOTE]

Are you asking about first-party or third-party? For first-party controllers, the DualShock 3 is what you will be looking at. It is exactly like the DualShock 2, except it is wireless. There are not many, if any, wireless third-party controllers. The ones that are use a dongle that plugs into the USB port. Most of the reviews I have seen of third-party PS3 controllers rate them relatively poorly. The only one I have heard good things about is the Saitek PS2700. It is a wired USB controller, but allows you to swap the left joystick with the D-Pad (similar to how the 360 controller is set up). If you like how the 360 controller is laid out compared to the PS3 controller, it might be worth a look if you do not mind that it is wired.

What is the best program to stream videos from you pc to your ps3. I tried tvirsity and it is not so good. Files are getting corrupted easily, I can't use chapter skip or fast forward, and the videos stop playing completely after awhile.
When I was transfering some videos that I usually watch on my pc to my ps3 some of them say there is no video codec when I put it on my ps3. Therefore some of the best videos in my collection have to be streamed to watch on my ps3.

Any file you transcode to the PS3 won't support fast forward, skip, or hell, even pause (though you can pause by bringing up the XMB).

And no... fairly sure you can't boot without a hard drive.

Hi, so I read through some posts and still have few questions, mainly hard drive related. So assuming there are two PS3's, model and whatnot probably does not matter since the hardware are fairly similar. Simple answers of yes or no is okay, unless someone would like to explain.:)

1. Hard drive, formatted and used, in system A cannot just plug into system B and use without reformat?

2. Full backup of the hard drive from system A can be restore to system B and most of the contents are still being recognized? Except for DLC, downloaded games, and protected saves.

3. Using full backup, will the trophies get backup as well?

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='m_d_amore']
Can you boot the ps3 w/o a hard drive?[/QUOTE]

You can boot the PS3 without an hard drive, but then you would get stuck with an error message saying something like "hard drive not found" or something. I forgot. Did it once with friend's PS3 while the hard drive is not in.

[quote name='GamerLina']which is the best ps3 controller to get[/QUOTE]

There's at least a few after market controllers for the PS3, but as was already mentioned they use a USB dongle that plugs into a USB port on your PS3.

They also tend to run on the same wireless signals as many cordless phones and routers, so if you have your router or a cordless phone in the same room they will not work right.

How do I know this? I tried a wireless controller from dreamGEAR called the Shadow about 4 or so months ago on my PS3 and it wouldn't work right for anything.

Then again, as I said before, I have my cordless phone and my router with wireless antenna in the same room as my PS3.

So all the Shadow controller did once it was fully charged was work for about a minute or so, then the vibration motors turned on and wouldn't shut off at all(even after the PS3 and the USB dongle were powered down).

So I took it back the next day saying that it 'didn't work right'. However, if you have no wireless devices that may conflict with the controller in the room, it's probably the best third party one out there right now. It has a built in rechargable battery and the home button actually goes into and out of the XMB on the PS3.

anybody ever have a problem Ejecting a disc?
When I hit the eject button, it makes the sound of ejecting it, but it never comes out.
I've tried all the ideas from the web (holding down the eject until the fan kicks in. Which does work for getting the disc back into place, and able to be viewed, but afterward it still won't eject. Tried the turn back power button off, then holding down eject, and eject/power when turning back on, making a big fan noise when coming back on, but still it never ejected).
Bummer.

sunnysky, just try a few times it's happened to me on a newer ps3 slim 120gb and am unsure as to if I should just keep it or exchange it for a new ps3 instead. They're selling out quickly @ gs and I was lucky to find 1.

1. Yes.
2. Yes, as I believe anything attached to the PSN account (unprotected saves notwithstanding) isn't carried over.
3. No, update them to the server first and then they'll be pulled down when you log in on the new system.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']1. Yes.
2. Yes, as I believe anything attached to the PSN account (unprotected saves notwithstanding) isn't carried over.
3. No, update them to the server first and then they'll be pulled down when you log in on the new system.[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much for answering them. Those are just some questions on the top of my head that I have been wondering, in case need to update the firmware.

:D Cannot update the trophies as I am still at lower firmware. Now I have to either update the firmware or stay tuned.:)

Thanks again! Need to backup my hard drive as soon as possible now!!

[quote name='vherub']Is there a master list of all games that have been patched/updated and what the update does?[/QUOTE]

I doubt it. My guess would be that if you really want to find out to go into the game's specific (official/fan) forums for that type of info but even then good luck finding it.

Some games have multiple patches and explaining what each of those does seems like a waste of time to document.

That would be a fun list.

I wish you could back up patches on the current gen systems like you can on PC :whistle2:/ I'd prefer not having patches at all, except maybe for multiplayer only games though.

I have a question, im a new PS3 owner so im still getting used to this. But under the games icon it lists all my demos/arcade games and such. Well for whatever reason i pressed triangle on my god of war 3 demo then put group all content by All. Now when i press square it changes to a god of war 3 demo folder with all the games/demos in there. Is there a way i can delete that folder? I know i can just press square to have a full list again under the games icon. But i was thinking it would be better to make a folder for demos, arcade games, and such. So is there a way to do this?

[quote name='smiggity']Hit triangle, go to information. From there you can manually edit folder names, applying the same name puts them in the same folder[/QUOTE]
And the newest game's icon is put on the folder.

So my ps3 decided not to read DVD's( flinstones season 2 disc 2 which plays fine on my dvd player and 360), blue rays( Wall e, monsters inc, and up) or games( Mirros edge which i just got from new egg and Matthazard which i was just playing last week), i tired doing a hard reset( when you hold down the power button till you hear 3 beeps) didn't work. Anyone know if a factory reset work?

[quote name='Tony208']If your friend is watching a Blu-ray film, does it show under friend status?[/QUOTE]
No, DVDs and Blu-ray movies automatically make you sign off, which you may notice the "Signed In" message whenever you return to the XMB since it automatically signs you back in.

Can you only add the amounts of $5, $10, $25, $50, and $150 to your PSN wallet when using your credit card? So if I wanted to buy a game that cost $8, I have to add $10 to my PSN wallet?

No, you can spend the exact amount as long as it's over $5. Just don't add anything to your wallet before checking out and it'll take the exact amount needed.

[quote name='QuantumFroth']Is there any way to set all games to default to inverted like on the 360?[/QUOTE]

Nope, there isn't a way to do that. It would be a nice feature, however.

Any one have this happen to their sixaxis controller? I went to pick up the controller and got zapped by static electricity. Now the controller won't work. The only button that responds is the middle PS button. I've tried resetting the controller with a paper clip, but it still won't work. Any ideas before I trash it and buy another one?

[quote name='pinebarrens']Any one have this happen to their sixaxis controller? I went to pick up the controller and got zapped by static electricity. Now the controller won't work. The only button that responds is the middle PS button. I've tried resetting the controller with a paper clip, but it still won't work. Any ideas before I trash it and buy another one?[/QUOTE]

Stop shuffling your feet when you walk across the carpet? Ground yourself before touching expensive electronics?

Those are about the only two ideas I have, since that's what I do every time before I touch any of my electronics. I make sure I don't have a static charge on me.

Unfortunately, it's going to be a $55 lesson for you, since I can't think of anything that may bring it back.

I've shocked my PS3 about 5 times and the controller a few times, now I always remember to ground myself before using it. Try charging it up again.

[quote name='J7.']I've shocked my PS3 about 5 times and the controller a few times, now I always remember to ground myself before using it. Try charging it up again.[/QUOTE]

Did anything happen to your PS3/controller after being shocked by it? This is the first time ive heard of this, sounds crazy. Whats a good way to "ground" yourself?

[quote name='The 7th Number']Did anything happen to your PS3/controller after being shocked by it? This is the first time ive heard of this, sounds crazy. Whats a good way to "ground" yourself?[/QUOTE]

Nothing happened. Touch something else before you grab controller or press power on PS3, like your entertainment center.

i have SOCOM accout to sell that comes with guilty gears psp game
make me a pay-pal offer, i am aware that you need the whole account for socom and im willing to sell it.
i have other games on different accounts listed a few pages back also

What's up with the white PSN Portable IDs? I hate it, and I can't figure out how to change it back to black.

[quote name='jh6269']What's up with the white PSN Portable IDs? I hate it, and I can't figure out how to change it back to black.[/QUOTE]
Racist.

[quote name='drobaby']i have SOCOM accout to sell that comes with guilty gears psp game
make me a pay-pal offer, i am aware that you need the whole account for socom and im willing to sell it.
i have other games on different accounts listed a few pages back also[/QUOTE]

Selling accounts isn't allowed on CAG, I believe.

[quote name='jh6269']Very funny[/QUOTE]
Racism is no laughing matter.

And as far as I know, you can't change the color... unless we are both overlooking something on the PlayStation website.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Can you put saved games on a USB drive and transfer them to another PS3?[/QUOTE]

Yes, but not for all games. I wasn't able to transfer my Little Big Planet saves. :(

bread's done
Back