PS3 FAQ's: PSN, Gaming, Hardware, Accessories, Gen. Discussions...etc.

[quote name='erectiontown']Can anyone give any advice on how to get stripped screws out of the HDD tray? I used the proper sized screwdriver and the shitty screws instantly stripped. I tried using needle nose players to try to loosen them, but apparently the Incredible Hulk screwed them in; they won't budge.

I called Sony and they will not send a replacement tray. Does anyone have any advice?[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a67f1-wOGQA

So my 250 GB PS3 Slim has been freezing often lately. Been playing Fallout New Vegas and now it is freezing every 30 minutes or so. Just to see if it was the game, I played another game and it froze 10 minutes in. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks

Alright, so I had a PSN $20 Card from a while ago. I tried entering in the code and get to the screen "This PSN Card has a value of $20. Do you want to add these funds?"

I choose Yes. However the screen hangs for a while and gives me the error code 80023103. This code when looked up refers to the network being down. However, I was able to input a $20 (newer) moments before. I even tried on the PSN network via PC, still get an error saying unable to add funds.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Hopefully the error will go away when I try again in 24 hours...

edit: Tried one more time, and the card went through.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, so I've been having some trouble with my PS3 slim. I'm wondering if this is normal.

I've been playing some borderlands recently and eventually it gets to a point where the game starts to freeze for a second and resumes play. During these short freezes, the hard drive indicator is going of and is usually solid orange. Before load times in all other games was longer and even in some games there was loading in between the opening company logos. Since then I've formatted, restored file system, and rebuilt database. I don't get those longer load times on the other games, but I still get the freezes in Borderlands.

Does this mean my hard drive is crapping out? My PS3 is the slim version, little over a month old. And the hard drive is a Toshiba. This never happened on my old fat which I believe had a Seagate drive.

I think that's just Borderlands... When I played it I would get those random freezes for a second every once and a while.

The freezes were kind of bad. It would usually happen when multiple enemies spawned, and freezes would occur every 2-3 secs until I killed the enemies.

Okay I am seriously considering selling my 60GB PS3 as I just got a 320GB Slim. Really hasnt play anything since Valkyria Chronicles and still got the Other OS function. From all the stories I heard it seems only a matter of time before I get a bad laser or YLOD Looks like I can throw in a few old games and get $250-300 on ebay.

So does anyone know if you can still send your dead PS3 to Sony and pay 150 or whatever for a slim?

After having a replacement laser die within a week I'm giving up on this old fatty.

I have a couple questions:

I have never used my ps3 online, don't have a psn account. I have firmware 3.5.

Will my trophies "sync" once I sign up online? Or will I have to redo everything?

I have the original uncharted, but the trophies are not on my system (since it was a download patch). Does anyone know if the ESA pack or GH version comes with the trophies on the disc?

[quote name='slowdive21']I have a couple questions:

I have never used my ps3 online, don't have a psn account. I have firmware 3.5.

Will my trophies "sync" once I sign up online? Or will I have to redo everything?
[/quote]

Yes, once you've gotten your trophy profile linked up with your new PSN account, it will sync your trophies when you check your trophy progress. Be warned: the first time, the sync will take quite a while... when I transferred all of my data from my old PS3 to my new and re-synced the trophies, it took about 45 minutes. After that, it only takes about 10 seconds per sync.

On a related note, I think that there is another firmware update beyond v3.5.

[quote name='slowdive21']
I have the original uncharted, but the trophies are not on my system (since it was a download patch). Does anyone know if the ESA pack or GH version comes with the trophies on the disc?[/QUOTE]

I believe so.

Well, I upgraded my PS3 slim's hard drive to a Samsung Spinpoint 500gb 5400rpm. And it seems I was right that my hard drive was the cause of the poor performance. Either my hard drive crapped out or I pushed it too hard (only had for over a month). I fucking hate Toshiba.

[quote name='option.iv']Well, I upgraded my PS3 slim's hard drive to a Samsung Spinpoint 500gb 5400rpm. And it seems I was right that my hard drive was the cause of the poor performance. Either my hard drive crapped out or I pushed it too hard (only had for over a month). I fucking hate Toshiba.[/QUOTE]
You upgraded on firmware 3.56? I thought it was preventing that.

Ok, so I just got a new 160gb to replace my old one that died. I'm noticing that one of the fans makes a very slight buzzing sound (only noticeable when I put my ear to the console). The noise increases quite a bit as the console heats up, but it's nothing thats unbearable. Is this normal? My old 120gb never used to make this noise.

My PS3 40 gig HD is full. I plan to use my PS3 online, but I have never connected or made an account.

If I delete the "saved games data" will it mess up my game saves?

More importantly will my trophies be OK?

[quote name='nbballard']You upgraded on firmware 3.56? I thought it was preventing that.[/QUOTE]
There's another 3.56 optional download that fixes the problem with installing a new hd and formatting it for the slims. Though it requires you to do this with the default drive not yet wiped.

The ones out of luck are those that took out their default drive and wiped it clean of the PS3 formatting and no longer have a ps3 formatted drive to dl the 3.56 optional version.

[quote name='slowdive21']My PS3 40 gig HD is full. I plan to use my PS3 online, but I have never connected or made an account.

If I delete the "saved games data" will it mess up my game saves?

More importantly will my trophies be OK?[/QUOTE]ok wait what?

your trophies will be fine. I'm not even sure you CAN delete your trophy data. Don't delete your game saves. delete your GAME DATA not your SAVED DATA.

Gamedata is all the stuff like game updates and harddrive installs and stuff. Save Data is your progress. Save data barely takes up any space.

[quote name='Wolfkin']ok wait what?

your trophies will be fine. I'm not even sure you CAN delete your trophy data. Don't delete your game saves. delete your GAME DATA not your SAVED DATA.

Gamedata is all the stuff like game updates and harddrive installs and stuff. Save Data is your progress. Save data barely takes up any space.[/QUOTE]

Ok Thank you! I have only played 6 or 7 games, so I figured I could wipe the Gamedata, but I wanted to double check before I do it.

I am looking to buy one of those headsets with surround sound and a mic. Ive been looking at the turtle beach ones, are those any good? any suggestions? Thanks! :cool:

NO, do not get Turtle Beach. I've bought two on the same pair of DPX21 and returned both promptly. They pick up noise easily from computers and when hooked up to the PS3, there is still background noise, especially when there are moments of no sound.

[quote name='slowdive21']Ok Thank you! I have only played 6 or 7 games, so I figured I could wipe the Gamedata, but I wanted to double check before I do it.[/QUOTE]
no problem check it out before you do anything. When you 'hover' on say your infamous saves it shows you your progress. when you over on your Haze install data it says "Install data" the former is a few thousand KB and the later is almost 2 gigs.

[quote name='option.iv']NO, do not get Turtle Beach. I've bought two on the same pair of DPX21 and returned both promptly. They pick up noise easily from computers and when hooked up to the PS3, there is still background noise, especially when there are moments of no sound.[/QUOTE]

whats a good to get then? thanks!

I can't really say which is best. But overall, gaming headsets are very gimmicky. Although they focus on chatting and sound location, sound quality suffers.

The only other options that meet your requests would be triton ax720 or astro mixamp w headset.

Personally, I haven't tried the ax720s. There have been mixed reviews and reports of breaking down, but overall greater amount of positive ones. I do have the astro mixamp (older version). Sound quality is as good as you can get with Dolby Headphone (virtual surround sound), and there is no noise issue at least with my Sony MDR 7506 headphones until you crank the sound to the maximum volume levels. Though the major con is the extremely high price tag.

Hey can someone add a FAQ to the PlayStation Plus to this thread or OP?

I was thinking about doing 3 months subscription (or just buying the 3 month PlayStation Plus card at Best Buy) but a co-worker said if you cancel subscription then you lose access to all your stuff..
Does that include the extra crap you buy with discounts from the store, or just the free games and demos?

Also do they still have the dead if you buy a year do you get the 3 months free?

I'm trying to enter a PSN card into the store, and it tells me it's a $20 card, and when i try to add it to my wallet it fails. I see a message that says "Funds cannot be added to your wallet".

Anyone have any info on this problem?

[quote name='nbballard']I'm trying to enter a PSN card into the store, and it tells me it's a $20 card, and when i try to add it to my wallet it fails. I see a message that says "Funds cannot be added to your wallet".

Anyone have any info on this problem?[/QUOTE]

Are you getting an error code? I know someone on the PSN in Canada has a similar problem that won't allow them to buy anything from the PSN Store.

[quote name='eLefAdEr']Are you getting an error code? I know someone on the PSN in Canada has a similar problem that won't allow them to buy anything from the PSN Store.[/QUOTE]

It's not an error code.

When i put the code it, it tells me it's a $20 credit, and asks if i want to add the funds. I click "YES".

Then it says: "Funds cannot be added to your wallet" (or something along those lines)

I'll try it again tonight. Part of me wonders if it had something to do with network traffic yesterday with all the KZ3 players, map packs and demos.

I'm going to be taking my PS3 to a local shop to get the Bluray drive repaired and was just wondering how long do Bluray drives typically last. Really not looking forward to having to do this constantly.

I've owned 4 PS3s (2 replaced, 2 current). No problems with the drives so far. I think there were just some bad batches in some early models. That said- the Bluray drive is the first piece you see when you take apart a PS3 (assuming it's a fat). If you could find one on eBay or a parts store I'd highly recommend doing it yourself.

Be sure to deactivate you PSN stuff in case the repair goes badly.

Well the one that broke on me was on a 120GB slim. And I've looked at videos on yooutube on how to replace the drive, and thats pretty much out of my range.

Just skimmed through a video for a slim. You actually have to remove one of the other components to expose the BR drive's cable release, but it's pretty straightforward stuff you could do with a steady hand and a screw driver.

If it's a slim, is it not still under warrentee with sony?

Anybody got any tips on how to increase PS3 download speeds? This is kind of ridiculous how slow it really is and I have tried everything I could find elsewhere. Nothing seems to be helping. I am on a hardwired connection with Roadrunner powerboost (15Mbps) and its still molasses in Alaska slow. I DLed the Dragon Age 2 demo on my 360 in about 20 minutes and that same DL has been downloading OVERNIGHT and is still @ 40%! Is there any advice someone can give me here!?

[quote name='brewin']Anybody got any tips on how to increase PS3 download speeds? This is kind of ridiculous how slow it really is and I have tried everything I could find elsewhere. Nothing seems to be helping. I am on a hardwired connection with Roadrunner powerboost (15Mbps) and its still molasses in Alaska slow. I DLed the Dragon Age 2 demo on my 360 in about 20 minutes and that same DL has been downloading OVERNIGHT and is still @ 40%! Is there any advice someone can give me here!?[/QUOTE]

I'm not so sure your connection is the problem -- were you trying to connect/download from the PSN Store yesterday? Lots of people were reporting slow speeds, probably because of the Blops map pack release.

Sony's servers are just slow... at least, compared to the competition. ;)

Thats pretty bunk... Its always been slow for me though, but this is just ridiculous. I thought Id be all set leaving it to DL overnight, but....wow. Roughly 12 hrs of DL time and its only HALF DONE! Its not even a 2 gig demo! Are PS+ subscribers treated to better DL speeds? *I guess this is why I usually just play my 360. I hate waiting for updates and such.

Question about the PS3 remote - does it work well for netflix and allow you to navigate menus and check how much time your movie has left with a single button?

The PS3 is my video workhorse and I figure it would be a better and cheaper investment than a fancy expensive Harmony remote.

[quote name='2DMention']Question about the PS3 remote - does it work well for netflix and allow you to navigate menus and check how much time your movie has left with a single button?

The PS3 is my video workhorse and I figure it would be a better and cheaper investment than a fancy expensive Harmony remote.[/QUOTE]The remote works well with Netflix on PS3. It's a personal choice, but I do prefer the menu setup on the 360, but the PS3 has everything available to you as well including your New Releases, Recommendations, Previously Viewed, and obviously your Instant Queue.

The display button on the remote pops up a timer on the top left (in very small font), the audio available and the video quality. Rewinding and fast-forwarding presents you with a chapter-type menu that previews segments of the video so you can see where to stop as you can't see an accurate time read-out outside of a minute count.

Plus, the best thing about the PS3 remote is you don't need line of sight.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']The remote works well with Netflix on PS3. It's a personal choice, but I do prefer the menu setup on the 360, but the PS3 has everything available to you as well including your New Releases, Recommendations, Previously Viewed, and obviously your Instant Queue.

The display button on the remote pops up a timer on the top left (in very small font), the audio available and the video quality. Rewinding and fast-forwarding presents you with a chapter-type menu that previews segments of the video so you can see where to stop as you can't see an accurate time read-out outside of a minute count.

Plus, the best thing about the PS3 remote is you don't need line of sight.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply.

Do the fancy expensive Harmony remotes control the PS3 video functions?

[quote name='2DMention']Thanks for the reply.

Do the fancy expensive Harmony remotes control the PS3 video functions?[/QUOTE]

Most need a IR USB sensor sold by them for the ps3, sold not with the remote.

90% of the Harmony's only have the IR, not IR + bluetooth, If i recall.

If you have a sony tv or maybe another brand, it can work with the HDMI-Control feature though, Thats how i use my Harmony remote with the PS3 instead of buying the Infer-Red USB thingie so it can pick up the remote signals, since the pS3 only has bluetooth.

Got the remote and it's pretty cool. Works good with Netflix, although only play and display seem to work. I wish the display showed the bottom bar, and not the microscopic text in the upper left corner, but I'll take what I can get.

It was pretty tough getting it to sync, too.

[quote name='2DMention']Got the remote and it's pretty cool. Works good with Netflix, although only play and display seem to work. I wish the display showed the bottom bar, and not the microscopic text in the upper left corner, but I'll take what I can get.

It was pretty tough getting it to sync, too.[/QUOTE]

My only complaint with the blu-ray remote is that it's too effective since it doesn't need to be pointed at the machine to function. If it gets lost in the couch, your ps3 will come on everytime someone sits down, if your cat steps on it, your going to the crossbar.

Question from a total PS3 newb. I have the chance to pick up a PS3 phat for $70. It plays blu rays, but not PS3 games. I have read that it is potentially fixable by doing a system restore. My question is that if this does not fix the unit, is this a good price for a blu ray player, media center (streaming services), and PSN game player? If the blu ray is completely dead, I assume that it will not impact online capabilities too?

I purchased a PS3 Slim on Thanksgiving 2009. I have never had any problems with it until about 2 weeks ago where it turned off on it's own while I was playing. It would not turn back on for about an hour and ever since then it will not stay on for more than 15 minutes before turning off on it's on. A quick Google search turned up hundreds of cases like mine, from what I understand many PS3s suffer firmware issues which cause them to overheat and turn off on their own.

Today I dug out my user manual and discovered that the "Limited Warranty" only covered defects for up to 1 year after the original purchase, however there is a disclaimer in the manual stating that some states in the US have "implied warranties" and that there is no limitation on them. I live in Massachusetts which has fairly decent consumer laws and has implied warranty laws. I was wondering if anyone know if these supercede any sort of limited written warranty. I was pretty peeved that my system dies just a little past the warranty.

Any help from people with experience dealing with this would be greatly appreciated. I have emailed Sony support and my local consumer bureau, but I'm basically trying to crowdsource for any helpful info (and both of them seem to be closed/slow in responding.)

Thanks in advance,
Spedmunki

bread's done
Back