PS3 for $350, but there's a catch.....

Negative

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
I have the opportunity to purchase a brand new 80GB PS3 from a local pawn shop for $350. I haven't jumped on the deal because: a) a buddy that works there hinted to me that these units "fell off the back of a truck and b) shop is known to sell stolen stuff. Aside of all the ethical/immoral conundrums, in the end someone is going to take this system. So my question is, is there any way for Sony to track/find this system if I ever connect online (if in any case they were reported)? I'm probably still not going to buy it, but damn if it doesn't make my palms sweat... Anyone w/ info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If you're pretty sure it's stolen, stay far away. Serial numbers tracked via Sony or Pawn Shop record seisure by the police would mean no good thing for you.

[quote name='Negative']Will do, thanks daroga, you just swayed me from the dark side. :)[/quote]

Fear of getting caught =/= swayed me from the dark side

You are still mine, minion!

satan.jpg

Buy it, ask them if it "fell off the back of a truck" and smile. If they say no, then you keep it. If they say yes, then you report them to the police. Like, use your phone as a recorder.

Sorry if this is an incredibly stupid idea, but I guess it's worth a try. They may be selling it legitamately.

But if you don't feel like reporting them, and you're absolutely sure that it's stolen, don't buy it. It's not worth saving the money to buy stolen goods.

if they say it fell off the truck then chances are it may be damaged so you should try to get it cheaper;)

P.S. before anybody says it, i know it didn't actually fall off of a truck

[quote name='Jedi1979']if they say it fell off the truck then chances are it may be damaged so you should try to get it cheaper;)

P.S. before anybody says it, i know it didn't actually fall off of a truck[/quote]

But they already discounted it to $350 for the damages.

I would buy it and feint knowing it was stolen, maybe. I don't know, depends on how desperate you are wanting a PS3.

Save the receipt. If the cops come to you, then show them the receipt from the Pawn shop...

That is assuming they give you a receipt

Sell it to me.

I'm not sure why this guy would need a record of who bought it, if he ever did get caught by the police (which isn't likely to happen).

not worth it.........

if it indeed is reported stolen to sony... bet you as soon as you connect on line, the system will lock you out and your IP address will be sent to HQ.... then if they wanted to, they can call the police and get your ass busted.

Just not worth the trouble so save a few hundred on a system that will go down to that price in a few years.

[quote name='ITDEFX']not worth it.........

if it indeed is reported stolen to sony... bet you as soon as you connect on line, the system will lock you out and your IP address will be sent to HQ.... then if they wanted to, they can call the police and get your ass busted.

Just not worth the trouble so save a few hundred on a system that will go down to that price in a few years.[/QUOTE]
You guys watch too many movies.

[quote name='zewone']You guys watch too many movies.[/quote]

Yeah, really. Just buy it, there's nothing they can/have the will to do :twisted:

[quote name='ITDEFX']not worth it.........

Just not worth the trouble so save a few hundred on a system that will go down to that price in a few years.[/QUOTE]

Well, I don't know if they'd go that far, I'm more concerned if Sony can deactivate/limit online usage or overall just mess w/ the firmware.

[quote name='Negative']Well, I don't know if they'd go that far, I'm more concerned if Sony can deactivate/limit online usage or overall just mess w/ the firmware.[/QUOTE]
No. That would take too much effort on their part, even if they had the technology to do so.

[quote name='zewone']No. That would take too much effort on their part, even if they had the technology to do so.[/quote]

Yea, the only thing they would be able to do was ban you from going online, which they probably won't do anyway.

Posession of stolen items is a crime. By posting on here, you have created evidence which proves that you have a reasonable doubt about the origin of the items sold at that pawn shop.

It's up to you whether or not you want to purchase the console, and if you do, keep that receipt in a safe place. More than likely, nothing would happen, but if the particular police force in your area decide to be asses about the whole situation and not grant you the benefit of the doubt, you could be in a world of shit.

I say buy it and return it to Wal-Mart. Just say you got it as a gift. You will then get store credit for $600 and you can buy another one with a new serial number.

Yeah, do that!

I am kidding. Stay AWAY.

I'm a just thinking they might just lock you out of the PSN and firmware updates.

That shouldn't be hard to do. I am sure it can be done. For example does Windows have that product authentication crap now on XP that verifies if your copy of windows is the real thing or bootleg and if it is bootlegged, it locks you out from getting updates but still lets you use it? Not sure if this is correct because I have a authentic copy of windows xp.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I'm a just thinking they might just lock you out of the PSN and firmware updates.

That shouldn't be hard to do. I am sure it can be done. For example does Windows have that product authentication crap now on XP that verifies if your copy of windows is the real thing or bootleg and if it is bootlegged, it locks you out from getting updates but still lets you use it? Not sure if this is correct because I have a authentic copy of windows xp.[/QUOTE]
You're thinking too much. There would be no difference (as far as PSN is concerned) if he bought this from Best Buy or a hobo on the street.

at this point, OP it is up to you...

A. buy it...deal with the consequences if you get busted for buying stolen shit

or

B. let it go and let some other clown get busted for it.

[quote name='zewone']or

C. Buy it and enjoy your PS3.[/QUOTE]

or just listen to zewone and everyone else in this thread and buy stolen goods :(

bread's done
Back