PS3 Impressions/General Questions Thread

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']The moment I bought one for not an outrageous back stabbing price of $600. That said, other than the Wii missing multiplayer I think it is complete all around. The game looks incredible on my HDTV. The Wii version has a lot more than just single player and that is the fact it is on the Wii. Everybody continues to discredit the importance of the Wii's controls. Call of Duty is IMO one of the killer-apps of this gen now.

And when did you become such a PS3 fanboy?[/quote]
:whistle2:s When did I become a PS3 fanboy? I don't recall becoming a fanboy of anything. I'd like to get all three systems if I had the money, but that's just not going to happen anytime soon, so I'm picking up my Wii tomorrow. :) I'm too cheap to get a PS3 in the near future, but I'm not going to bash it or any other console just because I can't afford it. All I've seen of your posts is just blatant bashing of the PS3 whenever you get the chance.

As for discrediting the Wii controls, I did no such thing. I'm responding to your claim on the PS3 being the black sheep with missing features, while the Wii version is just single-player. The single-player's good from what I've heard, but it's ultimately a shallow game without much else to do after beating the game. A

[quote name='Michaellvortega']I never saw Linkin prime as a fanboy.

[/quote]

i didn't either, but they both post alot of this is what is new with type topics. nothing wrong with that, i'm just saying one was in the 360 forum and the other in the ps3 forum.

[quote name='PKRipp3r']cod3 looks awesome on my 360

no framerate issues[/quote]
I know, but they downgraded the resolution to up the framerate. That was the point of the link. Activision's having trouble in their next-gen development, however that came to be.

I have a Japanese PS3, so I'm unable to use PS2 games, but so far, I'm not floored, mainly because the 360 is already in its second generation of games. Some of those games are very impressive. So IMHO if you have a 360 but can't get hold of a PS3, you'll be fine.

I sold one to a guy who lives out of the country and wanted me to test it before sending to him - just to confirm that at least out of the box it was working.

Taledega Nights on Blu-Ray. I probably don't have the monster cables/hookups to really show the difference, and didn't notice any major differences. But, as I said I also don't have all the super-karate cables and speakers that would make this noticeable.

Resistance: Fall of Man: Looked beautiful, really impressive graphics. I played through the first level with a buddy. Great visuals, but I didn't notice anything that really blew my mind beyond a lot of the other FPS out there - especially Halo (maybe that would be considered praise though to be compared to Halo). I was kind of expecting realism to the point where you feel like walls are actually there as walls (rather than borders that are just painted by programmers to look like walls, etc).

I'm glad I didn't blow $600 on it personally, but for those who are serious lovers of FPS maybe it's a different story. I fully admit to sucking at FPS and don't really enjoy them much anyway.

[quote name='whoknows']Anyone know if its possible to quit a game and get to the PS3 menu without having to shut off the system?[/QUOTE]

You have to HOLD the PS button down to bring up the menu BTW. Takes a few seconds and it should come up with the option to quit the game or shut down and what not.

Yes the thing IS very quiet which is nice.

I've personally started out playing around with its non-gaming features. Popped in my Pro Duo memory stick from my PSP and it read it right away. Looks like you can save your PS3 saves onto the memory stick so if you need to transport it you can that way. Also playing music (playing off the memory stick) and watching the slide show (on the stick too) or browsing the internet (like I'm doing now) is nice.

The internet isn't running that fast, but that could be because of weak Wifi signal (which was VERY easy to set up). Did hit a "out of memory" snag but I had a few windows open.

If you grab a demo, check out MotoStorm, it looks great.

[quote name='Quackzilla']

god I hate the internet gaming community so much, how ignorant can people get?[/QUOTE]

I hear a great place to hang out if you hate the internet gaming community is on a message board about video games on the internet.

[quote name='Apossum']I hear a great place to hang out if you hate the internet gaming community is on a message board about video games on the internet.[/QUOTE]

Your sig is hilarious.

I personally don't have/don't want a PS3, but my buddy picked one up and I waited in line with him for 14 hours... I'm a good friend.... anyway, when he finally got it and hooked it up I was there.

He got a bunch of sports games... lame, but that what he's into. They all looked slightly worse than Xbox 360 games to me. The menu is just like the PSP's, which I like. It's simple, fast, and accurate. Very dull though, the 360's menu or guide if you will, does look better.

He put on Talladega Nights at 720p... look no different than a normal progressive scan dvd play or HDMI upscaled dvd player to me. If I had to rate it ...

VHS 4/10
DVD 6/10
480p DVD 7.5/10
HDMI DVD 8/10
Blu-Ray 8.5/10

Worth the money... IMO no. Hell no. I wouldn't buy a PS3 right now unless it was $249.99. Maybe if/when some good games come out for it, and it gets a couple of fireware updates to address it's lack of useful features and non-exsistant online component I'd buy one after a $150 price drop.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']I never saw Linkin prime as a fanboy.
.[/QUOTE]

LP isn't like, one of those vocal fanboy's, but the guy posts a ton of 360 information and I'm fairly certain he buys every single high profile 360 game that comes out... hell, I just think he buys every 360 game that comes out period ;)

[quote name='Chris in Cali']Maybe if/when some good games come out for it, and it gets a couple of fireware updates to address it's lack of useful features and non-exsistant online component I'd buy one after a $150 price drop.[/quote]

Well what features do the other systems offer that are more useful? I think it does a decent amount of things right out of the box. And with the updates, it can easily be expanded like you said which is a good point.

The Online stuff seems to be fairly solid to me... Did you guys get to try it? Buddy list, picture mail, text messaging and all that?

Anyone play with the video section yet? Making a 15second clip to run in the menu is super fast and they look great. When trying to save the BluRay demo videos to your HD, when it is selected press Start. I had some trouble because it doesn't say hit X like it should.

So far....the XMB has potential.....granted I have a PSP so I'm used to it...
Was disappointed that the REMOTE PLAY Features are not active yet.....as PSP 3.0 Firmware is not out yet.

CheapyD and I were playing with the Video Chat....was impressed that was present out of the box and fully compatible with EYETOY.

They should have put the USB ports on the back......having stuff plugged into the front really destroys the look.

Also....its sometime hard to see the USB plug ports (the system is black after all).

Now....as for the PLAYSTATION STORE.....nice layout....but it seems a little laggy in navigation. I am spoiled by the rapidness of XBL of course and the improvements they've done this past year. C'mon SONY...what's the point of a DOWNLOAD LIST if you can only download one thing at a time.

Also....for the Demos....why do you need to download....then it does an install?? Aren't you downloading the program already??

I don't know about anybody else but I'm getting very slow downloads.....lets just hope that's because of launch weekend and it will improve, because as the # of users grow....the stress on the servers will grow...not lessen.

Yes, I've had the save thoughts about where the USB ports were located. Have a wireless keyboard/mouse set but it needs the receiver plugged in to the USB. Wish I could hide it behind the system somewhere.

The cross media bar here is the first time people are going to encounter it, but Sony is going to start putting it on more of their devices which I think is a great idea. I wasn't sure I was going to like it here (it works great for the PSP) but it is very crisp and has grown on me luckly.

The download loads were faster I was told, so I bet your right about it being launch weekend.

Another problem I've had is that it seems to have a character limit when typing things, so I can't do large posts when entering things in for the internet. Though I'll be looking to see if there is something under options or something to correct.

It's a very very expensive adapter to play Resistance on your TV :lol:

360 is still far superior in every single regard (for the moment).

[quote name='62t']they had to use that god awful psp tyoing system.[/QUOTE]

I've never understood the distaste for the typing system. It is a lot like a cell phone, and I know people who can blaze through text messaging on them with ease. Takes a little practice but I can type on the PSP/PS3 easily now so that it feels comfortable.

Luckly keyboards work. If you really dislike it you can get a cheap USB keyboard to plug in if your even really going to be typing at all on the system. Only small differeances like having to hit Alt + Enter to move the to the next line instead of plain Enter. The keys on the board are also mapped to the controller (L3 is F1 for example) but I haven't figure out all of them yet.

Also it has predictive text that is a lot stronger here. I've been fairly impressed with it though I haven't done a deep examination on how good it is. Being able to add words/phases looks like it will help a bunch.

The system itself is beautiful, all shiny and everything. Its also very quiet and unlike the 360 the controller pairs up with the system instantly. I got Resistance and Mobile Suit Gundam. Resistance is pretty cool but its kind of hard. I am a huge Mobile Suit Gundam fan I own every PS2 gundam game from the horrible Journey to Jaburo to the masterpiece import Climax U.C. and let me tell you this, the game is totally unplayable!!!! Its Journey to Jaburo 2.0 The framerate is abysmal. It runs at like 15fps. Its unpolished and the controls are alittle iffy but I could have lived with that. But the framerate is way unacceptable. Overall I like the system we just have to wait a little for the true AAA tittles to come out, thats when we will see what the system is trully capable of.

No, wasn't able to get a launch system (Thanks Gamestop). I was , however, able to play it at the local Best Buy. The only playable games were Motorstorm and NBA 07. This was in a relatively new Best Buy (Route 7 near Tysons in VA). The kiosk was located all the way in the far right corner of the store. I practically drooled when I saw noone around. Took me a while to navigate the menus (finally figured out the right controller was the "master controller") I loaded up Motorstorm and completed one race (3 laps I believe). First, the graphics really grab you. Screenshots do no justice, I was playing slackjawed the whole time.The mud splashing up on the screen is a nice touch. The framrate seemed slow, not choppy..just slow. The car felt very "floaty". There were only two views(3rd person and in car-the in car cam is useless once your hood gets bent up). It was a blast riding around that canyon, nonetheless. I only played a half of the NBA game. It was meh. The gamespot review is spot on-players looking like plastic army men-that's all I could think of while playing. Gameplay was ok. Shooting is fairly easy since you see that color coded arc over the player. I was playing the Mavericks against the Heat (the only two teams that were available). I wish they had NBA 2k7 loaded (fat chance since I think NBA 07 is sony's baby). My wife started getting impatient, so I just left it at the halftime screen. As I was walking away, I spied Guitar Hero 2 in the next aisle. Had more fun playing "You Really Got Me" on Medium-man that game rocks!

MY friend has it, played ressitance, and is pissed off that now that he opened he cant get as much money on ebay. He says resistence is good, but is no halo killer and is like a faster call of duty, i think he is retarded tho. BTW, he played GoW instead of Ressitance

[quote name='Quackzilla']hmm... lot of haters who never played a system.

god I hate the internet gaming community so much, how ignorant can people get?[/QUOTE]

full of hypocrites too.

I'm glad I got a last copy(gutted) Resistance :FOM, like someone said earlier it really is almost just a faster COD. I also thought the installing of demos was stupid, if anything they should have hid it instead of saying 100% DL'd and then showing a brand new install bar. I hope they are working on improving the dashboard to meet or beat Xbox360's feature.

[quote name='anubis20']Its Journey to Jaburo 2.0 The framerate is abysmal. It runs at like 15fps. Its unpolished and the controls are alittle iffy but I could have lived with that. But the framerate is way unacceptable. [/quote]

:shock:

[quote name='gaelan']:shock:[/quote]

Not at all stunning. What is stunning is the 8.8.8.8 it got in Japan, but then again Sony could have paid Famatsu off. The latest Gundam game really is shameful to look at much less play. It's the PS3's Bomberman Zero..and on launch too!

[quote name='Michaellvortega']

So after a few more hours of hands on with my new toy I have this to say.

Signing up for a online Account was kinda a hassle

Updating the system was also kinda a hassle(I just got a new toy LETS PLAY ALREADY)

R:FOMs graphics didn't look as good as they did in some of the videos which is kinda understandable but still a let down. The game is "fun" so far.

The web browser acted kinds of weird

Not being able to download a demo and do other stuff at the same time is lame. They obviously saw the 360 fix this problem so why didn't they avoid this mistake off the bat?

My PS3 dosn't greet me by name which is the biggest let down of all.[/QUOTE]

Yes yes, but how are the steaks and hamburgers?

[quote name='postaboy']damn, every thread I see is nothing but hate on the ps3. what did sony did to you?[/quote]Not sure, but apparently Sony fucked up your grammar.;)

[quote name='postaboy']damn, every thread I see is nothing but hate on the ps3. what did sony did to you?[/QUOTE]

I guess people expect more from a console that costs nearly twice as much as the competition.

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']Yes yes, but how are the steaks and hamburgers?[/QUOTE]

Well I have to say it cooks my steaks super uneaven because one side will be well done and the other will be ice cold. I really don't understand why.
On a more serious note, the web browser BLOWS! It told me I was out of memory while trying to view a youtube movie and a 2nd page at the same time. :roll: what a crock of shit.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Not sure, but apparently Sony fucked up your grammar.;)[/quote]

No, not his grandma! Sony rapes old women?!!

[quote name='Quackzilla']hmm... lot of haters who never played a system.

god I hate the internet gaming community so much, how ignorant can people get?[/quote]

QFT

I opened up one of my ps3s today and was not dissapointed at all. it's a great console at a low price point of 499. It's some of the latest technology that appeals to the techie in me and the gamer. My biggest dissapointed thusfar is that my motorola bluetooth headset doesnt work with it =(........

[quote name='help1']No, not his grandma! Sony rapes old women?!![/quote]Yup, that's Sony's plan to make money on their gaming side. Court near-death grandmas, get them to fall in love and when they leave this world, the inheritance goes to Sony.

[quote name='Zoglog']I opened up one of my ps3s today and was not dissapointed at all. it's a great console at a low price point of 499. It's some of the latest technology that appeals to the techie in me and the gamer. My biggest dissapointed thusfar is that my motorola bluetooth headset doesnt work with it =(........[/QUOTE]
good thing you threw in the, "one of my ps3's". seriously though i dont understand the low price point comment?

[quote name='Quackzilla']

But yet your here with 6k posts, and this is an online gaming community. I agree with the fact that you can't pass judgment on a system you haven't played. But Your one of us, the internets is full of anti-social gamers who happen to be negative. Get used to it.

[quote name='anubis20']The system itself is beautiful, all shiny and everything. Its also very quiet and unlike the 360 the controller pairs up with the system instantly. I got Resistance and Mobile Suit Gundam. Resistance is pretty cool but its kind of hard. I am a huge Mobile Suit Gundam fan I own every PS2 gundam game from the horrible Journey to Jaburo to the masterpiece import Climax U.C. and let me tell you this, the game is totally unplayable!!!! Its Journey to Jaburo 2.0 The framerate is abysmal. It runs at like 15fps. Its unpolished and the controls are alittle iffy but I could have lived with that. But the framerate is way unacceptable. Overall I like the system we just have to wait a little for the true AAA tittles to come out, thats when we will see what the system is trully capable of.[/QUOTE]

Hey on Gundam, try doing the install on your hardrive. Heard it not only increases the load times, but it also keeps the framerate much higher. Let us know how it does, unless you've already done this.

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']Yes yes, but how are the steaks and hamburgers?[/quote]

:rofl:

[quote name='Sixtail']Not at all stunning. What is stunning is the 8.8.8.8 it got in Japan, but then again Sony could have paid Famatsu off. The latest Gundam game really is shameful to look at much less play. It's the PS3's Bomberman Zero..and on launch too![/quote]

You forget, though, that Bomberman Zero came out as a budget title in Japan, wheras the US the got the short end of the stick and had to pay for it as a full $50-60 title.

Hey guys, I just popped in resistance and the install is taking awhile? Is this normal? The message said 40-50 seconds. me thinks it crashed =(.

On another note the ipod doesnt seem to work proper on the system. That's pretty suprising to me.

It took it longer then it says to finish here too, but once it is done it'll load up right away, Wasn't longer then 5mins, so if it goes past that I think something is wrong.

BTW, did you update your system to 1.10?

[quote name='NamPaehc']It took it longer then it says to finish here too, but once it is done it'll load up right away, Wasn't longer then 5mins, so if it goes past that I think something is wrong.

BTW, did you update your system to 1.10?[/QUOTE]
why would there be an update for brand new hardware?

[quote name='paz9x']why would there be an update for brand new hardware?[/QUOTE]
Because it gets out of production a minute before you buy it....

[quote name='NamPaehc']It took it longer then it says to finish here too, but once it is done it'll load up right away, Wasn't longer then 5mins, so if it goes past that I think something is wrong.

BTW, did you update your system to 1.10?[/QUOTE]

yeah turns out there was a glitch with my ipod or something. I just rebooted and everything worked fine.

Man resistance felt like ass in Co-op. There's no intensity at all. but when I went to singleplayer it was like 100 times better. It almost feels like the coop was an afterthought. I think Gears of War has totally jacked up my expectations for other games.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Hey on Gundam, try doing the install on your hardrive. Heard it not only increases the load times, but it also keeps the framerate much higher. Let us know how it does, unless you've already done this.[/QUOTE]

I did install it and its the same thing, as far as loading times i wouldn't know if they got shortened because I installed the game the first time i put it in.

The black box is most heaviest console I have brought so far... Lovin it, playing ridge racer 7, AWESOME!~ but got owned by Japanese peoples while playing online.. so far so good, no lag and not overheat.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Hey on Gundam, try doing the install on your hardrive. Heard it not only increases the load times, but it also keeps the framerate much higher. Let us know how it does, unless you've already done this.[/QUOTE]

Why would you want to increase your load times?

bread's done
Back