PS3 Impressions/General Questions Thread

[quote name='paz9x']why would there be an update for brand new hardware?[/quote]
To activiate/add various features to the system. It's the same way with the Wii.

[quote name='Quackzilla']hmm... lot of haters who never played a system.

god I hate the internet gaming community so much, how ignorant can people get?[/quote]

You dont know how much I agree with you. Its sickening.

I for one have it and love it. WHY the hell wouldnt you like it if you own it? People are just to held up by the price.

ITs a great solid console. No complaints.

[quote name='whoknows']Does the PS3 only play .mp4 video? Is there any way to get it to play .wmv or .mov?[/quote]

can you not install some sort of codec pack or quicktime and WMC?

Ok, the PS3 controller doesn't need to be plugged into the console when I'm playing PS2 games, does it? I was trying to play a PS2 game last night, but it wouldnt recognize the controller unless I had it plugged in with the USB cable. Am I missing something?

[quote name='whoknows']Does the PS3 only play .mp4 video? Is there any way to get it to play .wmv or .mov?[/quote]

So far all it says is:

The following types of files can be played under
in_video.gif
(Video).
  • Memory Stick Video Format
  • MPEG-4 SP (AAC LC)
  • H.264/MPEG-4 AVC Main Profile(AAC LC)
  • MPEG-1 (MPEG Audio Layer 2)
  • MPEG-2 PS(MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AAC LC, AC3(Dolby Digital), LPCM)
  • MPEG-2 TS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2)
As for playing old games wirelessly... I'll have to check. I played my old SF:Alpha 3 from the PS1 but I think I had it connected.

[quote name='dallow']I have a question guys.
I'm in need of an HDMI cable, but what's the difference between 24AWG, 26AWG, and 28AWG.

You can see them seperated here:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&style=

PS3 just needs a male to male connection right?[/QUOTE]
It's just the gauge of the wire. Pick 28AWG, it's the cheapest and it won't have any negative impact on the signal's performance. And yes, you just need a male-to-male cable.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']It's just the gauge of the wire. Pick 28AWG, it's the cheapest and it won't have any negative impact on the signal's performance. And yes, you just need a male-to-male cable.[/quote]

Thanks, I'm a high-def newbie.

And this cable transmits audio as well right? No need for seperate audio cables.

Eventually, when I get a receiver and surround speakers. Am I going to have to plug the HDMI cable into the receiver, or is it possible to route the audio another way (optical cable) ?

Your help is really appreciated.

I just noticed that the USB controller cable is actually just a USB Mini-B cable. So that means you can connect any of your hardware that uses that type of cable to the PS3 with it. I tried it with my PSP and it worked fine, though I didn't try transfering files to test the speed and only watched some videos directly from it.

[quote name='harrygetsoff']here's a question. How in God's name do I use the controller in a wireless form? Works great plugged in, but that kind of sucks[/quote]

You just unplug it man.

[quote name='dallow']You just unplug it man.[/quote]

:hot: Really? I tried it yesterday, didn't work. I didn't know if I had to "pair" it first or anything

I have my PS3 running thru component now because I didn't feel like playing $100 for an hdmi in a B&M, but I am wondering how much better HDMI looks than component when running at 720p. Anyone know?

[quote name='nharmon91']I have my PS3 running thru component now because I didn't feel like playing $100 for an hdmi in a B&M, but I am wondering how much better HDMI looks than component when running at 720p. Anyone know?[/quote]monoprice.com

Does anyone have a 1080p HDTV and NBA2k7 or a 1080p game? My PS3 is set to 1080p but when the game loads, it switches to 720p. The game works in 1080i but not 1080p for some reason. Talladega Nights work in 1080p. I'm beginning to think Sony took out 1080p in gaming or maybe they screwed up with the Firmware update. I really doubt its my tv set either, its a Sony Bravia 40inch LCD HDTV.

Can I use a HDMI->DVI cable to hook up a PS3 to a DELL widescreen LCD display?

I looked up the manual and it doesn't say anything about it.

[quote name='Kaijufan']The PS3 uses a USB headset for online games correct? Do you plug it into the controller, or the console?[/quote]

You can connect a USB headset to the PS3 itself. Or if you have a wireless bluetooth headset (like what people use with cell phones) then you can use that instead.

[quote name='NamPaehc']You can connect a USB headset to the PS3 itself. Or if you have a wireless bluetooth headset (like what people use with cell phones) then you can use that instead.[/quote] It's pretty cool that bluetooth headsets work. Does the PS3 support other bluetooth devices (besides controllers;)), or just headsets?

[quote name='Kaijufan']It's pretty cool that bluetooth headsets work. Does the PS3 support other bluetooth devices (besides controllers;)), or just headsets?[/quote]

I've only head of headsets working so far, but who knows what the future will hold.

Any way to copy over data saved from the HDD to a new HDD when you swap it?

If not, I'm thinking I'm giong to upgrade that as soon as possible before I start downloading demos and such.

Game saves can be saved to a flash card right?

[quote name='dallow']Any way to copy over data saved from the HDD to a new HDD when you swap it?

If not, I'm thinking I'm giong to upgrade that as soon as possible before I start downloading demos and such.

Game saves can be saved to a flash card right?[/quote]

There is a new "backup" feature which I think allows you to use another HD incase you need to do a system restore so maybe so.

And yes game saves can be sent via USB.

ok, I have a few questions

Does Ipod work with this? I hooked mine up and it didn't recognize anything on it.

Can and external Hard Drive work for it? I wanna get a 300 GB to put TV shows and music on for my laptop but would love it if I could hook it up to my PS3

What's the point of the user log in besides different log ins for the PS network? I thought if I made 2 seperate log ins that everything would be seperate i.e. Videos, music, pics, game saves. But when I log into a different PS3 log in all the same stuff comes up that's on my own log in.

Do all PS3's still come with Talladaga Nights? I bought one today and it didn't say anything about including it. Then my buddy comes back with one from the same store and it has a sticker on it that says "Includes Talladaga Nights".

[quote name='shipwreck']Do all PS3's still come with Talladaga Nights? I bought one today and it didn't say anything about including it. Then my buddy comes back with one from the same store and it has a sticker on it that says "Includes Talladaga Nights".[/quote]
It's supposed to be included with the first 500k units shipped in the US, which I didn't think that they'd passed that already.

[quote name='Rimmit']Is there a digital optical out on the back of this thing?[/QUOTE]

Yes....along with HDMI, Ethernet and A/V output

Well, i can use HDMI. Basicaly, I run HDMI to my TV, then optical out to my receiver (from my TV). It seems to work so far. I haven't raelly done much yet.

A few questions:
- Can you save PS2 games directly to the HDD?
- How long do downloads normally take (say MotorStorm demo)?
- Should I switch the system off in back, or just the front on/off switch?

I know I have more questions....I'll have to play a bit more...at least try a Blu-Ray disc and a game out!

[quote name='doubledown']
A few questions:
- Can you save PS2 games directly to the HDD?
- How long do downloads normally take (say MotorStorm demo)?
- Should I switch the system off in back, or just the front on/off switch?

I know I have more questions....I'll have to play a bit more...at least try a Blu-Ray disc and a game out![/quote]
The only way to save PS1/PS2 games is to the hard drive so yes. :)

Hmm... depends on size of course, but none took longer then 10 minutes. Genji was close to that and it was fairly large but that is including the installing of the game (yeh is installs it right after it downloads). Could have also been fast because I was doing it late at night and there wasn't much traffic to their system.

I use the controller to turn it off (hold down the PS button and then select the opton to turn it off once the menu comes up) and leave the switch on. Just like my PS2, I won't turn the switch off unless I'm going to be away from it for a long period. I wouldn't just flip the switch to turn the PS3 off, it seems to want to save settings and does some other things as it shuts down via the controller or holding the front button down.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Yes, that isn't normal...[/QUOTE]

Is yours wireless also? I know my laptop works just fine wireless.

I have the Linksys WRT54G router...if it matters. weird....oh well. I like the marketplace setup, they just REALLY need to learn from XBOX Live...multiple downloads, download in the background.

[quote name='nharmon91']?, that has no relevance to the question[/quote]It was more a reply to your statement prior to your question. You stated you didn't want to pay $100 for an HDMI cable at a B&M store, hence the link I gave--HDMI cables for cheap.

Any way to do Remote Play with a PSP or other PSP to PS3 wirleess features without the built-in wifi? As in, what do I do if I want to do that later but have a 20 Gig PS3?

Can you hook an external HDD up to the PS3 and use it as a jukebox or something like that? Just curious how the external connections work. I may just dump some songs on a Memory Card.

[quote name='Bravelionheart']Any way to do Remote Play with a PSP or other PSP to PS3 wirleess features without the built-in wifi? As in, what do I do if I want to do that later but have a 20 Gig PS3?[/quote]

You can connect the via USB, but as far as I know that is your best bet with the 20 gig.

I'm slowly convincing myself that I need a PS3 for Resistance/Full Auto 2/impending VF5, but one thing I'm curious about. How does the media functionality work? If I download a video file on my PC, how does the PS3 see it/play it - do I have to actually copy it to something and then physically bring it over or can it see over the network? Also, I doubt it right now, but divx/xvid?

[quote name='doubledown']Can you hook an external HDD up to the PS3 and use it as a jukebox or something like that? Just curious how the external connections work. I may just dump some songs on a Memory Card.[/quote]

If it can connect via the USB port, then the PS3 can access it. So exteral USB HD, USB memory sticks, MP3 players, Ipods, PSP's and so on should all work.

[quote name='Gojtron']I'm slowly convincing myself that I need a PS3 for Resistance/Full Auto 2/impending VF5, but one thing I'm curious about. How does the media functionality work? If I download a video file on my PC, how does the PS3 see it/play it - do I have to actually copy it to something and then physically bring it over or can it see over the network? Also, I doubt it right now, but divx/xvid?[/quote]

Well, right now the PS3 will need to have the file actually "attatched" to it. That basically means via a USB cable or stored on its own hard drive. If you wanted to watch your downloaded videos, you'd need to store them on another device and then connect that to the PS3. Here you can either copy the files to the PS3, or watch it directly off whatever is holding the video files.

In the future I'm hoping there will be more networking options.

The following types of files can be played under
in_video.gif
(Video).
  • Memory Stick Video Format
  • MPEG-4 SP (AAC LC)
  • H.264/MPEG-4 AVC Main Profile(AAC LC)
  • MPEG-1 (MPEG Audio Layer 2)
  • MPEG-2 PS(MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AAC LC, AC3(Dolby Digital), LPCM)
  • MPEG-2 TS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2)

[quote name='Bravelionheart4186']Any way to do Remote Play with a PSP or other PSP to PS3 wirleess features without the built-in wifi? As in, what do I do if I want to do that later but have a 20 Gig PS3?[/quote]
No, you need the Wifi for the wireless streaming features.

Everything else you can still use the USB cable (such as game downloads).

Did anyone else here find Talledega nights pretty underwhelming. As in the transfer to blu-ray?? It just doesn't seem HD level. I mean I've seen Blu-ray discs on display, as in the real deal and not the demo copies, and they really look good. I mean the HD movies I get over cable look better then this??? Do other movies look better. I've looked at all the reviews, and it seems this is a weak bluray disc, but I didn't realize just how weak. Any other impressions?

Also I can run 5.1 through the tv HDMI port w/ my Upscaling DVD player, however, when I try to run 5.1 through the HDMI through my tv in the same manner w/ the ps3, my 5.1 digital light doesn't come on? It works for my dvd player, but I don't understand why it doesn't work for the ps3. I've set all the settings to output 5.1 out the hdmi port, but it doesn't work. I have 1.31. Any suggestiosn?

[quote name='Rimmit']Did anyone else here find Talledega nights pretty underwhelming. As in the transfer to blu-ray?? It just doesn't seem HD level. I mean I've seen Blu-ray discs on display, as in the real deal and not the demo copies, and they really look good. I mean the HD movies I get over cable look better then this??? Do other movies look better. I've looked at all the reviews, and it seems this is a weak bluray disc, but I didn't realize just how weak. Any other impressions?

Also I can run 5.1 through the tv HDMI port w/ my Upscaling DVD player, however, when I try to run 5.1 through the HDMI through my tv in the same manner w/ the ps3, my 5.1 digital light doesn't come on? It works for my dvd player, but I don't understand why it doesn't work for the ps3. I've set all the settings to output 5.1 out the hdmi port, but it doesn't work. I have 1.31. Any suggestiosn?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Talledega nights was a pretty bad HD transfer. The king kong that came with the HDDVD 360 drive was a lot better quality.

bread's done
Back