“PS3 in Danger of Dying” Crowd Debunked

[quote name='Thomas96']How about you show some numbers of games sales, to show that 360 software is outselling PS3 2 to 1. You might be right, but how about some research to support what you're saying.[/quote]

ytd-software-sales.png

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3854/npd_behind_the_numbers_october_.php?page=5

They didn't publish the same numbers for November, but there is a 2.4M unit difference between 360 and PS3 in just the top 10. Call of Duty was 2.36 to 1.

GoW PSP is one of the top 5 selling games and I think bundles are included in that. With the right marketing and the hype machine turned to 11, they could move PS3s with it. The thing is, Sony has dropped the marketing ball so many times. Maybe they'll get it right this time. Knowing Sony, it'll be a 1TB PS3 w/ GoW pack in for $699

[quote name='ninja dog']GoW PSP is one of the top 5 selling games and I think bundles are included in that. With the right marketing and the hype machine turned to 11, they could move PS3s with it. The thing is, Sony has dropped the marketing ball so many times. Maybe they'll get it right this time. Knowing Sony, it'll be a 1TB PS3 w/ GoW pack in for $699[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they'd have to be very aggressive with it. Big ad campaign, and big price cut. $300-350 PS3 with GoW3 packed in would probably move some consoles.

But they're so far in the hole I'm not sure they can 1) cut price $100 and 2) give away a game that will sell a lot of copies on its own and help them make some money.

Right. They're not going to go with a risky strategy at this point now that they're solidly in third. The 160GB PS3 w/ Uncharted (which, while a fantastic, fantastic game, should be $30 by now) retailing for $500 is evidence of that.

They're playing it conservative because they have to; MS is playing extremely aggressively because they can afford to. They could afford a billion-dollar bath due to faulty hardware that Sony could not. And it's paying off for MS and not for Sony.

Their marketing sucks my ass, too. A whole helluva lot.

No, the PS3 isn't going to die. But it will certainly be used for purposes far greater than just gaming...

[quote name='Scientists Write Guide to Build Supercomputer from Sony Playstation 3']Found at www.ps3cluster.org , the resource fully illustrates how to create a fully functioning and high performance supercomputer with the Sony Playstation 3.

Last year, Khanna’s construction of a small supercomputer using eight Sony-donated Playstation 3 gaming consoles made headlines nationwide in the scientific community. On the consoles, he is solving complex equations designed to predict the properties of gravitational waves generated by the black holes located at the center of the galaxies.

“Science budgets have been significantly dropping over the last decade,” Khanna said. “Here’s a way that people can do science projects less expensively. This new web site will show people how to move forward.”

Typically, scientists rent supercomputer time by the hour. A single simulation can cost more than 5,000 hours at $1 per hour on the National Science Foundation’s TeraGrid computing infrastructure. “For the same cost, you can build your own supercomputer and it works just as well if not better,” Khanna said. “Plus, you can use it over and over again, indefinitely.” The cost for his initial Playstation grid was $4,000.[/quote]

We all knew the PS3 could actually do good for the world with the Folding @ Home project.

So I guess we all know which console among the three can actually be used to help solve humanity's problems. Of course, I suppose someone with ill intentions could hook them all up to help create more weapons but let's ignore that possibility to keep the warm-fuzzy feeling.

Now if only Sony could begin selling the PS3 for a profit, and begin marketing these for research purposes...

[quote name='mykevermin']
I also love love love the cost of the PSX titles; as I've mentioned, it really sticks in my craw that Sony's shit the bed when it comes to taking advantage of their classic titles. It stings even more when they have Square-Enix on board in Japan, releasing the "never gonna be remade, reprinted, and/or not named Final Fantasy" PSX classics. Seeing even 1 consistent PSX release per month would be something, even if it was another shitting Syphon Filter. But, as SCEA's forgotten there was a Playstation 1, apparently, there are now as many "Xbox Classics" on the 360 for DL as there are PSX titles for purchase in the US on the PSN. They're released 2-3 titles on the PSN since July of this year. That's fucking shit, and people don't mention this a great deal, but I think it contributes a whole helluva lot to how people perceive the PS3. I have purchased 12 PSX titles on the PSN; 8 or 9 of them are Japanese. I bought Wild Arms, Warhawk, and something else I forgot from the US store. But that's it. I mean, c'mon. Ehrgeiz? Einhander? fuckin' Xenogears!?!?! XENOGEARS. Good thing I still have my disc copy.[/QUOTE]

I'm throwing my hat into the "outraged by the lack of PSX games on PSN" arena. It's bullshit with no reasonable excuse. If anything Sony should push it even harder as a sort of, "remember when we were gods!" nostalgia.

Last time I checked, Europe passed the US in terms of downloadable PSX games. Europe, the red-headed stepchild of game releases is winning at least in terms of quantity (and possibly quality, I don't know their list by heart). fuckin' Sony.

I'm going to step into the "needs more PlayStation Originals" conga line. Playing PS1 games on my PSP on the way to work is fantastic.

They definitely need to step up their online store. Right now, it's a joke. Today was yet another Thursday without an update.

Why does everyone make such a big deal over multi-platform games?

Sure there's occasionally a good one (oblivion, rock band), but 90% of multi-platform games are absolute shit. In my opinion, who really wants FPS, movie tie-ins, more FPS, sports, and more FPS?
It seems like these studios spend so much time in advertising and porting the game to as many systems as possible, that they forget about making the game actually good.

As for exclusives, the Playstation brand tends to have more games that I prefer (MGS, GT, JRPGs), not to mention some awesome PSN games.

Microsoft has done a damn good job at targeting the average American male, which is how they got the sales numbers that they did. But there's plenty of gamers who don't fit that mold, and I think that's what the PS3 is there for.

PS3 has better JRPGs? News to me. Forthcoming...maybe? But this gen's best JRPGs aren't found on any home console. They've moved to the DS and PSP by far.

There *are* JRPGs on both consoles. 360 has Eternal Sonata, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, and a few Square titles (Infinite Undiscovery and Last Remnant). The PS3 has Eternal Sonata and...umm...I think that's it for right now; people are banking on the promise the FFXIII and Versus XIII, and also White Knight Chronicles.

They *have* the RPGs, but the bulk of them are on the DS, with a decent amount on the PSP as well. There are some good ones on the consoles (I really enjoyed Lost Odyssey, for one), but that doesn't mean they have a glut of good JRPGs.

Then again, people talk about "WRPGs" (1) as if it's a meaningful term, or (2) as if there are an abundance of them on either console. You have Oblivion and Fallout 3 on both consoles, and what else? Mass Effect? What the hell is a "WRPG" anyway? Is it simply something made by a western developer as opposed to Japanese? It can't be that easy.

But, yeah, DS has FFIII and IV remakes, can play FFI-VI (provided you don't own a DSi ;)), a number of FF side stories (Tactics 2a, Revenant Wings, others I'm forgetting surely), and don't forget they're getting Dragon Quest IX! The DS is *the* console to own for RPG games, as far as I'm concerned.

that's a wrpg. it's that simple! it basically works, since the styles don't cross over much.

chalk one up for Enchanted Arms for both systems. hawt stuff

[quote name='mykevermin']Then again, people talk about "WRPGs" (1) as if it's a meaningful term, or (2) as if there are an abundance of them on either console. You have Oblivion and Fallout 3 on both consoles, and what else? Mass Effect? What the hell is a "WRPG" anyway? Is it simply something made by a western developer as opposed to Japanese? It can't be that easy.[/quote]

Big differences!

Generally JRPGs are more cinematic in nature, telling you a story via long cut scenes and extensive dialogue. Very scripted, like playing through a movie. WRPGs tend to let you play through the events of the story, less scripted, letting your actions and choices move the story along.

If you want to get more into specifics, WRPGs often follow the Dungeons and Dragon combat style, using 'rolls' and mechanics that you can't really see. JRPGs tend to invent new battle-systems for each game.

Also, WRPGs started out mostly just on PCs, and reallly only recently made the jump to more fully embrace consoles. And since the majority of consoles are/were Eastern (Asia) in their roots, the RPGs that were designed soley for consoles came from the same places. Japanese RPGs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_differences_in_role-playing_video_games

And I'd call Mass Effect one of the best WRPGs ever, and easily one of the top 5 games on the 360 (I had to stick it in there...I just LOVE Mass Effect...). And I'd definitely agree that the DS is the system of choice for RPG gamers, especially with the release of remakes of classics (so wish I could afford Chrono Trigger right now!).
But don't discount the PS3 and its backwards compatability. Sure, you could play a remake....or you could play the original! All PS3s have PS1 compatability, and if you're lucky to have one of the older PS3s, PS2 compatability. I actually just bought FF Chronicles (V? and Chronotrigger), VI, VIII, and IX for the first time to play on my PS3.

Speaking of PS3 vs 360, I'd say that PS3's network and media capabilities are far superior to the 360's. I don't feel like running a cable from my router to my 360 to get into my network, nor do I feel like paying an extra $100 for a wireless adaptor. If I buy a 360 right now (they're at $250 now, aren't they?), and the wireles adaptor, I'm already at $350 + $50 (recurring) to get online...that's $400...the price of a new PS3 (and much less hassle).
I will not speak of online gaming comparisons between the consoles, I do my online gaming on a PC.
From a media stand point (once we've got both systems up and running on my wireless network), the PS3 has better video output. Streaming and saving movies/music/games to the PS3 is also much easier. You have to plop down another $100 to do that on a 360.

Before you start thinking that I'm a PS3 fanboy or something, please continue reading.

From purely a gaming perspective, the 360 exceeds the PS3. When you discount the unneccessary Bluray/hddvd/dvd, HDD and Online features of the systems, what you're left with is a gaming system. And that's where the 360 wins.
If you're not looking at console specific titles (and if you are, you already know what console you want), then just picking up a 360 and playing a game is far cheaper than the PS3 option. The graphics on the PS3 aren't really any better on cross-platform games because developers rarely bother to take the time to make them better. They don't need to, they don't cater to a particular console when they're releasing on all of them. They just care about making the graphics at least as good as the other guy's game.

The problem (and this is why the PS3 is behind) is that this generation of consoles is trying to be more than a gaming platform. They want to be a Media Center for your home. And in that department the PS3 wins. But the only people that know/care are the people that are buying it for GAMES. They mark it first and foremost as a GAME SYSTEM, and we see that the 360 wins that award.
So they need to rethink their strategy and take one of two roads:
Make the PS3 a realistic option when compared to the 360 for gaming (lower the price), or make it easier and more friendly for non-gamers to buy and use as a media center. They'll have to focus more on the blu-ray player aspect to do that, probably also include other features to bring in the digital cable/tivo/bluray watching population.

[quote name='mykevermin']The DS is *the* console to own for RPG games, as far as I'm concerned.[/QUOTE]

Except the DS isn't a console.

[quote name='zewone']Except the DS isn't a console.[/quote]

Sure it is...
"The term "video game console" is used to distinguish a machine designed for consumers to buy and use solely for playing video games from a personal computer, which has many other functions, or arcade machines, which are designed for businesses that buy and then charge others to play."

Right. Forgive me for not taking your opinions as absolute fact.

The DS is not a console. It's...whatever you two tell me it is.

I figured you'd love it zew. It's as...accessible...as the 360. That's your standard for enjoyability, right?

But let's focus on the semantics of what is or is not a "console." Ain't the PS3 "not a console," too?

It doesn't change that the DS has more (and better) RPGs on it than any other *piece of video game machinery that may or may not be a console* this gen.

Then what is it?

Part of the reason I'm frustrated with the PS3 at the moment is that it has all this potential that goes untapped 90% of the time. It's much more powerful than the 360 in terms of horsepower, but to make use of that horsepower, you need developers that are willing to spend the extra time and money to exercise the machine. It's a tough sell to begin with, but when the console is in third place, it's even tougher.

Really, the only games that have a chance are the exclusives. Not surprisingly, Little Big Planet and Metal Gear Solid 4 look crisp, smooth, and fantastic overall. The PS3's exclusives pool seems to be drying up, however. We have God of War 3 to look forward to, but what else?

I own both a 360 and a PS3, but I was disappointed when Tekken 6 and Final Fantasy XIII - the two biggest reasons I shelled out the money for a PS3 - became multiplatform titles. It has nothing to do with jealousy or expense or anything. I was disappointed that the games, which I expected to be true showcases for the platform, are now being reduced to the lowest common denominator in terms of development. Both games are going to end up looking like your everyday 360 title, despite the fact that the PS3 may have better control over its frame rate and possibly slightly higher-quality textures, as a result of each game's origins. Other than that, they'll probably be indistinguishable.

Software drives hardware sales. Packing in God of War 3 will push consoles, but it will also be an enormous expense for Sony. Nintendo's the only company of the Big 3 at the moment that's actually making money off of console sales. Sony should have hung onto what exclusives they had to drive the software sales up, or at least give publishers some financial incentive to make true PS3 titles.

I think we need a snap shot of who is buying where.
In Japan Wii is in 1st place with 7.25 million systems sold
In 2nd place is PS3 with 2.61 million systems sold
In 3rd place in the 360 with 0.84 million systems sold

This speaks volumes of how poor the 360 is selling in Japan dispite the new RPGs out there has yet to sell 1 million units.

Now in America the Wii is still champ selling 19.03 million systems
360 is 2nd with 14.8 million systems
PS3 is 3rd with 7.02 million systems

Well over twice the # of systems sold isn't a time frame issue, PS3 is just not selling in america and it's the combination of price and games. Personally I think they need to market LBP to death and put it out with the system and overally commericialize it on saturday mornings.

Everywhere else is different

Wii stil rules the world with 15.72 million systems sold
360 is 2nd with 9.94 million systems sold
PS3 is 3rd with 8.67 million systems sold

Now the difference between 2nd and 3rd here makes total sense with time frame of a year difference. I can see PS3 overtaking the 360 at some point.

[quote name='Halo05']I'm throwing my hat into the "outraged by the lack of PSX games on PSN" arena. It's bullshit with no reasonable excuse. If anything Sony should push it even harder as a sort of, "remember when we were gods!" nostalgia.

Last time I checked, Europe passed the US in terms of downloadable PSX games. Europe, the red-headed stepchild of game releases is winning at least in terms of quantity (and possibly quality, I don't know their list by heart). fuckin' Sony.[/QUOTE]

If Microsoft was running SCEA, every PSX game would have been available. (probably at launch)
PSX games are free money.

They did just release Castlevania Chronicles.

[quote name='davidb69']I think we need a snap shot of who is buying where.
In Japan Wii is in 1st place with 7.25 million systems sold
In 2nd place is PS3 with 2.61 million systems sold
In 3rd place in the 360 with 0.84 million systems sold

This speaks volumes of how poor the 360 is selling in Japan dispite the new RPGs out there has yet to sell 1 million units.

Now in America the Wii is still champ selling 19.03 million systems
360 is 2nd with 14.8 million systems
PS3 is 3rd with 7.02 million systems

Well over twice the # of systems sold isn't a time frame issue, PS3 is just not selling in america and it's the combination of price and games. Personally I think they need to market LBP to death and put it out with the system and overally commericialize it on saturday mornings.

Everywhere else is different

Wii stil rules the world with 15.72 million systems sold
360 is 2nd with 9.94 million systems sold
PS3 is 3rd with 8.67 million systems sold

Now the difference between 2nd and 3rd here makes total sense with time frame of a year difference. I can see PS3 overtaking the 360 at some point.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to see Sony really push hard for the Japanese market, the fact that the 360 hasn't even sold a million consoles there, show's that its almost dead there, although its had some recent sales peaks. I'd lower the price of the PS3 in Japan. Sony might not be able to catch MS in NA, however, if they push NOW to gain a big lead in Japan (similar to the lead that 360 has in NA) then I think things would look better for Sony at least when you look at worldwide numbers.
I'm pretty sure that Sony rather have more consoles sold outside of the US, due to the weak dollar.

[quote name='Renaissance 2K']...I was disappointed when Tekken 6 and Final Fantasy XIII - the two biggest reasons I shelled out the money for a PS3 - became multiplatform titles. It has nothing to do with jealousy or expense or anything. I was disappointed that the games, which I expected to be true showcases for the platform, are now being reduced to the lowest common denominator in terms of development. Both games are going to end up looking like your everyday 360 title, despite the fact that the PS3 may have better control over its frame rate and possibly slightly higher-quality textures, as a result of each game's origins. Other than that, they'll probably be indistinguishable.[/quote]

My understanding was that the version of FFXIII that was going to be released in japan will be completely unaffected by the recent decision to release the game on xbox2. They said that no work on porting it will be done until the game comes out in Japan.

I would expect than that the U.S. release will also be optimized to take advantage of PS3 hardware and the xbox2 port will be dumbed down. It will still be optimized to take advantage of xbox2's capabilities, but the end result will be slightly inferior.

[quote name='Thomas96']...I'm pretty sure that Sony rather have more consoles sold outside of the US, due to the weak dollar.[/quote]

Because of the worldwide financial meltdown, yen (especially) and dollar have gone up in value while most other currencies have lost value. Basically, the more expensive a country's currency is the harder it is for that country to export its goods. Sony is hurting because they are not getting as much yen worth of money from their sales as they used to. Now that US dollar is worth more, they would prefer to sell in the US than in the rest of the world.

[quote name='Teh Nitwit']Because of the worldwide financial meltdown, yen (especially) and dollar have gone up in value while most other currencies have lost value. Basically, the more expensive a country's currency is the harder it is for that country to export its goods. Sony is hurting because they are not getting as much yen worth of money from their sales as they used to. Now that US dollar is worth more, they would prefer to sell in the US than in the rest of the world.[/QUOTE]

lol damn, I'm behind, the US dollar is worth more now? I thought it was down last week. That's probably why they don't want to drop the price, (anywhere) because Sony figures that during the life of the console they are going to sell at least X amount of consoles. However if they can sell 5.2 percent of the console at 599, and maybe 10 percent at 399, and another 40 percent at 299, then that's a win for them. (in the long run). Hell there's more incentive to sell at the higher price now, becuase the dollar is back up. For some reason, I believe that Sony like to sell less at a higher price, than selling more at a lower price.

[quote name='mykevermin']Right. Forgive me for not taking your opinions as absolute fact.

I figured you'd love it zew. It's as...accessible...as the 360. That's your standard for enjoyability, right?

But let's focus on the semantics of what is or is not a "console." Ain't the PS3 "not a console," too?

It doesn't change that the DS has more (and better) RPGs on it than any other *piece of video game machinery that may or may not be a console* this gen.[/QUOTE]
Get over it.

It's a handheld, and some people (me) don't like playing games on there, especially 50 hour RPGs.

Yeah, I'm the same. I loved the DS when it first came out as I wasn't digging much on the PS2/Xbox/GC at the end of last gen and only had a Wii at the start of this gen.

But it mostly gathers dust now as I can't bring myself to play it when I could have been playing 360 games on my 50" HDTV. Though a lot of it is that the bulk of the good games the past couple of years have been JRPGs, shooters (like Contra 4), text based adventure games, Strategy RPGS etc--all genres I don't care about. I mainly enjoyed the DS for 2D platformers and puzzle games early on.

I started Castlevania: OoE when at my parents over thanksgiving, but haven't touched it since I got back in town. May get back to it next time I have to fly cross country for work....but I tend to spend most of my flights working these days so who knows.

Last edited by a moderator:
I gota agree on some of the DS statements.

I only get about four or five DS games a year lately, and the last five?
Castlevania, Castlevania, Contra, Phoenix Wright, Apollo Justice.

Hrm. I think Konami loves my money.

[quote name='mykevermin']PS3 has better JRPGs? News to me. Forthcoming...maybe? But this gen's best JRPGs aren't found on any home console. They've moved to the DS and PSP by far.[/quote]

I said that the Playstation brand tends to have better JRPGs. Mostly I was referring to PS/PS2.

You're absolutely right though. I'm really disappointed in that there aren't many good RPGs for the PS3. I really don't understand why all of the good companies decided to make their games for 360. It really doesn't make sense to me. I have high hopes for White Knight Chronicle, so it better not let me down!

Maybe the "good" companies went to the 360 because its US sales are great and the attach rate for 3rd party games is the highest out of all the consoles this gen.

[quote name='Malik112099']Maybe the "good" companies went to the 360 because its US sales are great and the attach rate for 3rd party games is the highest out of all the consoles this gen.[/quote]

Yes, that definitely explains why Japanese companies are making Japanese-oriented games for the 360. :roll:

I'm just saying that it's highly probable that Microsoft was stuffing some pockets to gain some ground in Japan. IIRC, the first several JRPGs for 360 were horrible failures in Japan (Blue Dragon, Enchanted Arms), so it doesn't make sense that Japanese developers would continue to make RPG's that are 360-exclusive.

[quote name='reiji']Yes, that definitely explains why Japanese companies are making Japanese-oriented games for the 360. :roll:
[/QUOTE]

It still could. More people live in the Western markets than in Japa. If they can sell more Japanese-oriented games worldwide on the 360 then that's going to make them more money in the end of the day despite lesser sales in Japan. Companies care about making money, not keeping people in their homeland happy.

That said, I wouldn't be terrible surprised if MS tossed some money at these companies. But I doubt they'd be too aggressive as they don't need success in Japan and JRPGs--while selling in the west--aren't really console movers outside of Final Fantasy.

[quote name='mykevermin']Right. Forgive me for not taking your opinions as absolute fact.

It doesn't change that the DS has more (and better) RPGs on it than any other *piece of video game machinery that may or may not be a console* this gen.[/QUOTE]

DS is a handheld BTW ( Is there really an argument that it isn't? Really? ).

Also it's nothing really new. Nintendo usually had the best RPG's out of every game system available. NES and SNES had some great RPG's. Then IMO Sony took it over with the amazing RPG's they had for PS1/PS2. Now they are back on a Nintendo platform.

Also yes PS3 is a console. And just to clarify the PSP is a Handheld ;)

TOTAL SALES TO DATE:
360 (nov2005-now) - 25 million (8.3m per year average)
PS3 (nov2006-now) - 18 million (9.0m per year average)

PS3 FTW!!!! sneak attack!

Yep, the games are were it's at. The 360 has the games people want to a great enough extent that it's doing well despite being so ridiculously unreliable.

I got both 360 + PS3, I love the PS3 to bits but when the updates come they take too FN long, thats why im currently addicted to my xbox

[quote name='DG2k9']I got both 360 + PS3, I love the PS3 to bits but when the updates come they take too FN long, thats why im currently addicted to my xbox[/quote]

You prefer the Xbox 360 to the PS3 due to the amount of time it takes to update firmware? I have both and firmware updates aren't my issue. You are gaming for the wrong reason.

[quote name='Malik112099']Microsoft proved David Reeves wrong.[/quote]

No Nintendo proved them wrong.
Nintendo is expanding the market more then microsoft could ever dream.

[quote name='Malik112099']You prefer the Xbox 360 to the PS3 due to the amount of time it takes to update firmware? I have both and firmware updates aren't my issue. You are gaming for the wrong reason.[/quote]

Don't worry, Malik. It's just the ADD-addled youth of the world these days. "I've got to game right now but this stupid firmware update is making me wait 20 minutes. Maybe I could read a newspaper, go outside and play basketball, or talk to my family but no, I've got to game this second!"

bread's done
Back