“PS3 in Danger of Dying” Crowd Debunked

I just got one today. I'm diggin it so far.

I can def see where the complaints about the system are coming from.. and the XBL experience (so far) does seem a lot better. PSN isn't baad, but it's no XBL.

But, the DS3 is a nice controller (for me). I can def see myself getting more games of certain genres on my PS3 over 360 now. Fighting games are a must now.

Oh stop it. :nottalking:

I don't think there's anything wrong with the PS3, it's just I think MOST people feel that the 360 is just better.
That's all.

+ the PS3 is just too expensive overall :shame:

I know no one in person who owns a PS3 either.

I'm not one for list wars, but I could probably list 20 games that came out this year that I couldn't play on PS3 or would not want to play the PS3 versions of for various reasons of inferiority/exclusivity.

[quote name='lilboo']Oh stop it. :nottalking:

I don't think there's anything wrong with the PS3, it's just I think MOST people feel that the 360 is just better.
That's all.

+ the PS3 is just too expensive overall :shame:[/QUOTE]

It may be more expensive, but at least it won't break if you look at it the wrong way :p

[quote name='whoknows']It may be more expensive, but at least it won't break if you look at it the wrong way :p[/QUOTE]

Well I can say this: The Wii is cheaper and also has wifi built in, AND they are pretty sturdy ...but since I mentioned the Wii I'll most likely get flamed...:lol:

Yes, because there's no hyperbole in that statement. I usually wear a blindfold when I use mine, what with the whole breaking when you look at it thing.

Only the hardiest of PS3 fanboys could complain about how MS handled that situation once it had been fucked up. A 3 year warranty and internal revisions that have increased reliability to be equal to the competition isn't enough to stop dragging that tired argument out, it seems.

HAI GYZ REMEMBR WHEN THE PS2 HAD DREs? LOL

[quote name='whoknows']It may be more expensive, but at least it won't break if you look at it the wrong way :p[/quote]

Never had a problem with my elite. Why early adopt anyway. Everytime you buy 1st gen anything you get burned, fat PS2 w/ dic read errors, pre expansion N64, 2 inch thick original ipod. I'll never forget having pac man on the 2600 just for kindergarden bragging rights knowing it was a lame port before i could count to 100. I could go on. My 10/07 falcon chipset 360 now streams Netflix in HD and that will get even more life out of it for me. Bottom line is the games are cheaper, library is deeper, and system is cheaper out of box. Discs are so ol skool. If there is anything I WILL early adopt it will be streaming/stored media instead of collector's boxes and bonus cd pack ins, etc.

I've had my PS3 since day 1 and it's never given me a problem.

My 360 however that I had for less than a year would randomly freeze when I was playing it. Sweet.

Sure MS gives you 3 years, but after that 3 years is over, you're left buying a new one/paying for repairs. Makes you wonder if 10 years from now, when someone wants to play a 360, if there will be any that actually work.

While we're telling personal stories, I've owned a 360 since launch day, had one RROD a year later, got it replaced in a week and a half for free, and have had no problems since.

I really don't know how I can stand the damn thing for that week and a half inconvenience. It's such a TRAGEDY.

If anything it's a testimony to the strength of the brand, the library, and the PR response that they had such a massive, massive fuckup and still are outdoing the HD competition 2 to 1 month by month.

Wow a great fan boy war going on here... why are people so sensitive? PS3 owners seem to take to heart the fact that the 360 beats it and whenever a reason is brought up it pisses them off... the OP states that economically the 360 costs more because of BluRay and yadda yadda but that's a stupid argument, if I buy a 32" 720p TV rather than a 1080p am I "losing" money in the long run? not even 50% of Americans have HDTV's (and so many still have analog tv's) that the whole bluray argument is retarded... we are afterall talking about Video Game systems here...

Let me say that the 360 game library is without question better than the PS3 library and any PS3 owner who denies this is just being hard headed... I owned an N64/Xbox 1 and I always knew PS1/PS2 had better libraries, then there's the price point, and the fact that ppl today just aren't that interested in BluRay (by that I mean the general population) afterall most ppl think upscaled DVD's are Hi-Def...

Please don't h8 for the honesty, the PS3 isn't going to "die" (that was always an exaggeration from ppl who think they know anything), but the 360 clearly is the superior video game console, it's easier to make games for, it's cheaper and so on... how many video game companies have stated that it's easier to develop on the 360 then the ps3? And I don't hate the PS3, as a matter of fact I want one for it's BluRay capabilities and might get one for it but I swear i can't see myself playing any game on it that I couldn't get a similar or superior version on the 360 without forced HDD installation (and with achievements) except for Burnout Paradise which from my understanding is better on the PS3

Also 2 questions:

What is the PS3 Equivalent to Halo 3? Not in terms of gameplay but in terms of being that popular that so many ppl still play it and the constant DLC released and what not?

What are the AAA titles that are PS3 exclusive that are coming out? God of War 3? FF Versus 13?

[quote name='Malik112099']Microsoft proved David Reeves wrong.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

Still, you figure in with the RROD fix for three years and the fact you get your console back quickly if my 360 RROD's i'll just go play my PC, DS, PS2 or maybe even my *gasp* Wii! I hate when Sony fanboys try to point out the hardware faults as being the most critical when MS will gladly fix your problems if you have a RROD (or lie about it) as long as It's three years or less. Good luck with getting Sony to fixing your PS3 once It's over a year and you didn't buy a extended warranty, and kept the receipt :p

Oh, I'll be getting a PS3 by March or next Christmas (rumor has it Sony will cut the price to $300, so we'll see how much the 360 sells against that and if Japan actually wakes up) but outside of Metal Gear and Uncharted there is little to interest me. I think once (if ever) Sony gets the JRPG crowd back into their system and some hot exclusives I'll pick up more games. But seriously, wtf? Wheres my PS3 Persona? Suikoden? Tales? Why the hell is Tales on the 360? Things like this boggle my mind considering all the RPGS on the PS2. Anyways, the main reason I'll get a PS3? Blu-Ray. I rather spend $25 on a movie of movie theater quality (or better) and own it permantely then go to a movie theater and see it once and spend the same amount of money. Let's not forget Movies are hitting DVD in like 2-3 months (or less) these days.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']:lol:

Still, you figure in with the RROD fix for three years and the fact you get your console back quickly if my 360 RROD's i'll just go play my PC, DS, PS2 or maybe even my *gasp* Wii! I hate when Sony fanboys try to point out the hardware faults as being the most critical when MS will gladly fix your problems if you have a RROD (or lie about it) as long as It's three years or less. Good luck with getting Sony to fixing your PS3 once It's over a year and you didn't buy a extended warranty, and kept the receipt :p

Oh, I'll be getting a PS3 by March or next Christmas (rumor has it Sony will cut the price to $300, so we'll see how much the 360 sells against that and if Japan actually wakes up) but outside of Metal Gear and Uncharted there is little to interest me. I think once (if ever) Sony gets the JRPG crowd back into their system and some hot exclusives I'll pick up more games. But seriously, wtf? Wheres my PS3 Persona? Suikoden? Tales? Why the hell is Tales on the 360? Things like this boggle my mind considering all the RPGS on the PS2. Anyways, the main reason I'll get a PS3? Blu-Ray. I rather spend $25 on a movie of movie theater quality (or better) and own it permantely then go to a movie theater and see it once and spend the same amount of money. Let's not forget Movies are hitting DVD in like 2-3 months (or less) these days.[/quote]

wow u have practically the exact same thought process I do... I feel the same way, and it's good to hear about a rumored price drop, $300 for a very good BluRay player is great deal... but yea I agree with the games as well... y is Persona 4 on PS2? if that doesn't prove how companies don't want to make games for the PS3 wether it be for the smaller install base or the difficulty developing the game on it then idk what is

also if the PS3 wants to really sell well how about a new Kingdom Hearts? i would buy one just for that

[quote name='eminemobied12']y is Persona 4 on PS2? if that doesn't prove how companies don't want to make games for the PS3 wether it be for the smaller install base or the difficulty developing the game on it then idk what is[/QUOTE]

So by your rationale, companies should immediately stop any and all development for older consoles the instant a new one comes out? You sir, are clueless.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']:lol:

Oh, I'll be getting a PS3 by March or next Christmas (rumor has it Sony will cut the price to $300, so we'll see how much the 360 sells against that and if Japan actually wakes up) but outside of Metal Gear and Uncharted there is little to interest me. I think once (if ever) Sony gets the JRPG crowd back into their system and some hot exclusives I'll pick up more games. But seriously, wtf? Wheres my PS3 Persona? Suikoden? Tales? Why the hell is Tales on the 360? Things like this boggle my mind considering all the RPGS on the PS2. Anyways, the main reason I'll get a PS3? Blu-Ray. I rather spend $25 on a movie of movie theater quality (or better) and own it permantely then go to a movie theater and see it once and spend the same amount of money. Let's not forget Movies are hitting DVD in like 2-3 months (or less) these days.[/quote]

As true as this may be, there is still no excuse for Microsoft having a console that has a higher than 30% failure rate, warranty or not, or quickness or not. Any other industry and it would not be on the market.

And the thing to be careful about the 3 year warranty is that it only covers RROD, so if your power brick or DVD rom drive breaks (which the DVD is not uncommon) your SOL, like my friend was (when he already had the DVD drive fixed once my MSFT).

The only thing keeping the PS3 from selling well is the price. General population does not care about anything else, all they care about is how much it will cost them right out of the gate. Now, we as educated gamers can see all the benefits to the PS3, the long term savings, the benefits, and ETC, but most people don't care.

While I love the PS3 and all its features, blu-ray movies, picture viewing, large initial hd, great games, the PSN games, I am sad and scared that it's doing so poorly, and that the support for it will die. At least I know that I will still get all Sony's 1st party games which are excellent and any great third party game I can always play on the 360, or still play on the PS3.

[quote name='Cheapass24']I literally know no one with a 3 digit IQ who owns a 360.[/QUOTE]

With your level of intelligence, I'm sure you don't know anyone with a three digit IQ, regardless of what video game console they own.

Maybe when the price drops lower than $399.99 I'll get one. But most people in todays economy cannot afford to spend this on a gaming system. Come on Sony, don't you see a price drop is necessary!

[quote name='dbrev42']Maybe when the price drops lower than $399.99 I'll get one. But most people in todays economy cannot afford to spend this on a gaming system. Come on Sony, don't you see a price drop is necessary![/quote]

A price drop isn't going to happen soon. Sony is ALMOST breaking even on the PS3 right now. Why the hell would they drop the price when they are so close to breaking even on them? I truly don't expect a price drop on the lowest SKU until after the next big 1st party game sells more consoles at the current price.

Also..

I think it was incredibly smart of Microsoft to not include all the "extras" in the console like the PS3. It makes more money for them in the long run. Yeah, it is shitty for us gamers but profitable for the company.

When it all comes down to it (as mentioned above) no one wants to pay $400 for a console when the $200 console sitting right next to it on the shelf will play the majority of the same games with negligible graphical difference.

After you get home and get over the joy of having a new console you say "Hey, I need a hard drive cause I want to download stuff!"
There goes $100.

This 50ft CAT 5 cable sucks..I want wireless.
There goes $100

I want to play games online with my friends!
There goes $50

I am tearing through these AA batteries!
There goes $30

This wired headset keeps getting tangled and in my way!
There goes $60

ETC

That is how I see it. Yeah, in the end you get a Blu-Ray player, game console, media center, Wi-Fi, DVD player, HDD, etc for $400, but when most people are staring at their wallet the $200 (or even $300) console just makes more sense at the time.

What Sony needs to do:

Somehow come out with a non Blu-Ray SKU. I know it is pretty much impossible but if they could put a crippled blu-ray drive in the PS3 that will only read games and sell it for $100-$150 less and then if people wanted to be able to play blu-rays they could download a firmware update via PSN for $150-$200 that alllowed blu-ray movie playback, Sony would probably sell more consoles based on the lower price point. Maybe even remove the Wi-Fi so the price could be lower. Then after having the console for a while and maybe upgrading to an HDTV or finding you want to purchase HD movies, more people might be inclined to shell out the money for the update to play blu-rays. Maybe even have like a $10 3 day trial of blu-ray playback to make people want to jump on the bandwagon and if they download the firmware within those 3 days the $10 gets added towards the price of the firmware.

Just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Malik112099']A price drop isn't going to happen soon. Sony is ALMOST breaking even on the PS3 right now. Why the hell would they drop the price when they are so close to breaking even on them. I truely don't expect a price drop on the lowest SKU until after the next big 1st party game sells more consoles at the current price.[/quote]

considering that... I wouldn't be surprised if they bundled that one too like they did with MGS.

[quote name='xycury']considering that... I wouldn't be surprised if they bundled that one too like they did with MGS.[/quote]

Which would be dumb, IMHO, because the bundle wouldn't be $400.

[quote name='Malik112099']Which would be dumb, IMHO, because the bundle wouldn't be $400.[/quote]

But it would then possibly justify getting another console in the hands of people to buy other stuff.... such as more games.

If they wanted to make money on the hardware, they should have priced it right, not at 400.

but I can see where you are coming from, if there is a title that people would pay for getting a 400 console....

The big question is ... IS there one... besides GoW 3?

PS3 is fallen to the Wii for titles to get... but at least the Ps3 isn't letting everything be made, unlike nintendo.

[quote name='zewone']I literally know no one who owns a PS3.[/quote]

This speaks more to who you know than which system is superior. All of my friends have a PS3. One friend has a 360.

I am the exact opposite. I only know one other person personally that has a PS3. All my friends have Xbox 360's. We are all adults (23-32 year olds) so we dont just get what mommy buys. I think it might have a lot to do with who has what first and consequently talks their friends into getting the same one so they can game together. Seen that happen many times with friends making the jump to current gen consoles.

Most of my friends and family don't game at all (I'm 30, most of my friends are 30 or older). One friend is currently PC only--but wants a 360. Another has a 360. My Brother had a 360, but sold it and has a PS3 now (wanted Blu ray). And that's it as far as I know.

But this type of anecdotal crap really has no bearing on the console race or whatever the point of this thread is.....

[quote name='Malik112099']I am the exact opposite. I only know one other person personally that has a PS3. All my friends have Xbox 360's. We are all adults (23-32 year olds) so we dont just get what mommy buys. I think it might have a lot to do with who has what first and consequently talks their friends into getting the same one so they can game together. Seen that happen many times with friends making the jump to current gen consoles.[/quote]

Elitists=PS3
Average Peeps=360

[quote name='smiggity']This speaks more to who you know than which system is superior. [/QUOTE]

I know that. I only said because fanboy whoknows said "all his friends have a PS3". I wouldn't be able to play with any of my friends if I only had a PS3.

[quote name='zewone']I know that. I only said because fanboy whoknows said "all his friends have a PS3". I wouldn't be able to play with any of my friends if I only had a PS3.[/quote]

Right on

[quote name='Malik112099']I am the exact opposite. I only know one other person personally that has a PS3. All my friends have Xbox 360's. We are all adults (23-32 year olds) so we dont just get what mommy buys. I think it might have a lot to do with who has what first and consequently talks their friends into getting the same one so they can game together. Seen that happen many times with friends making the jump to current gen consoles.[/QUOTE]

LOL

how ironic that most mommies are buying 360s... (grandma buys Wii).

[quote name='zewone']I know that. I only said because fanboy whoknows said "all his friends have a PS3". I wouldn't be able to play with any of my friends if I only had a PS3.[/QUOTE]

I'm a fanboy because I disagree with you?

Sweet :cool:

[quote name='Nogib']So by your rationale, companies should immediately stop any and all development for older consoles the instant a new one comes out? You sir, are clueless.[/quote]

r u serious? i'm clueless? i clearly stated WHY they did it but it goes to prove the point of the install base/difficult development of the PS3... by your stupid logic why not develop for the PS1? it has the biggest or 2nd biggest install base of consoles... or the NES? how about the SNES? clearly they made P4 for the PS2 because it would sell more and it was easier to develop for (also leading to a cheaper price/bigger profit)

[quote name='smiggity']Elitists=PS3
Average Peeps=360[/quote]

That makes no sense.

I have 2 xbox 360s and 1 ps3.

Am I an Elitist sandwich with Average bread?

Your statement is wholly stupid.

Most thngs the sony defense force says are.

Whoknows is a fanboy. If not of Sony, than of werehogs. That should answer any questions you have about him.

When are people just going to face the facts? The PS3 is a complete waste of money. Sure it has a lot of features but it totally fails at the one thing it is supposed to do better than its competition - offer a great library of games you can't play anywhere else.
LOL at flame wars!!!

Well yeah you're really kidding yourself if you believe anyone should choose a PS3 without non-game related factors involved. The 360 and even the Wii are better if you're just wanting a game device. That's a pretty difficult point to argue.

Goes to show why 3rd parties prefer the 360.

The example created by Factor 5 and Free Radical of what happens when you make 3rd party PS3 exclusives should scare away any sensible developers for the rest of the system's life.

[quote name='Malik112099']That makes no sense.

I have 2 xbox 360s and 1 ps3.

Am I an Elitist sandwich with Average bread?

Your statement is wholly stupid.[/quote]

Nope. It makes you an Average sandwich with a drop of Elitist mustard.

[quote name='jer7583']The example created by Factor 5 and Free Radical of what happens when you make 3rd party PS3 exclusives should scare away any sensible developers for the rest of the system's life.[/QUOTE]

Right. Because releasing "Lair" and "Haze" on the 360 would have them rolling in dough.

lol.

No, but releasing them multiplatform might have bouyed sales to a point where they wouldn't be closing their doors.

The only real advantage of 360 development would perhaps have allowed them more time to tighten mechanics and required less time on development of engine and graphics elements. As two of the earlier third party PS3 exclusives, they almost certainly spent the majority of their time struggling with the system's awkward architecture, in hopes that their effort would make future titles easier to make. The result? Lair and Haze played as they did.

Third party exclusives are just stupid this generation. The PS3 and 360 have the HD gamer market split, best to do multiplatform and maximize sales of games.

Going Wii exclusive is ok I guess since they can shit out shovelware and casual games for cheap and make a profit easier. But Wii owners aren't buying many games so even that's not a sure thing.

[quote name='smiggity']Nope. It makes you an Average sandwich with a drop of Elitist mustard.[/quote]

Do you even bother to read this shit out loud before you click the "Submit Reply" button?

[quote name='mykevermin']lol. Yes, multiplatform development would have meant they would spend less time working on the title.

Give me a fucking break.[/QUOTE]

Do you read people's posts before you start cooking up a smarmy reply? The first comment was meant for the multiplatform situation, the second for a 360 development situation.

As with anything, if it had been a 360 game vs a PS3 game, the development time would have been less/could have been out earlier to catch onto next gen hype - Because the 360 was out a year earlier. Haze/Free Radical and Lair/Factor 5 did not fail excluslively because of the PS3, but it was one of the main factors.

A good PS3 game will sell on PS3, but it has to be good, Lair was horrible, and Haze was subpar, being an FPS - that's a tough market to succeed in, because there's so much competition.

[quote name='jer7583']What competition did it have at the time on PS3?[/quote]

Shitty games are shitty because they are shitty. Not because another game out at the same time made it look shitty.

bread's done
Back