“PS3 in Danger of Dying” Crowd Debunked

[quote name='crystalklear64']PC! Hoohoohoohoo![/quote]

Hahaha PC making a comeback, that's what I keep thinking every time that graphic is posted. The PS3 isn't dying, but it isn't the grand success it was meant to be, mainly because of the high cost of entry, which led to them losing out on a bunch of exclusives and the Japanese rpgs which I assume was going to be on the PS3. As it is, the Sony and MS switch positions from last generation, where the PS2 was tops but had DRE problems, and the Xbox lost money every year. Now the 360 is on top, well ahead of the PS3, but has the RRoD while the PS3 is more solid but doesn't is lagging behind.

[quote name='mtxbass1']How many more of these threads are we going to have?[/quote]

As many as it takes to convince someone something or something else.

God help us all.

[quote name='Paco']I find this offensive. HOW DARE You even try to compare the PS2 to the shit king of defective hardware that the 360 is. Sure the PS2 may have reigned in the title of prince of shit, but the 360 has not only taken this title, but beat the PS2 senseless making sure no other console fucks up this badly. They definitely took a page from sony and decided if they're going to fuck up, they might as well do it in style and fuck everything up.

But anyways the PS2 and 360 failures are nowhere near comparable. The PS2 can be fixed by opening it and tweaking a cog. The 360's failure is the motherboard wrapping or the gpu dying. The PS2 one is fixable by normal people The 360 one is fixable by professionals.

And the 90 day warranty. Remember that in 2005-2006 Microsoft's 360 warranty was also only 90 days.

and 45 dollars for a refurb? That's better then Microsoft wanting 250 to repair a broken 360 in late 2005 early 2006. Sony may have fingered your corn hole, but microsoft raped your ass with a bat and no lube. Microsoft makes sony look like a gentle lover by contrast.[/quote]

[quote name='smiggity']Waa Waa Waa. I knew you would be in here crying. I had a launch PS2 and it STILL works. I agree with Paco here comparing the PS2 and Xbox360 manufacturing problems is way outta touch. Sounds like you and your buddy are just wayyy to rough on your consoles.[/quote]

And here comes the Sony Defense Force in on their white steeds to champion Sony as the always perfect model of corporate responsibility that they are in their eyes.

:applause::applause::applause:

The way some people march in to defend a faceless multibillion dollar corporation's 'honor' is laughable. I swear, you'd think I'd called their mothers some unspeakable name or something the way they get up in arms.

EVERY console has had issues, Sony did last gen and now MS does. But at least Microsoft actually pays for shipping and repairs their systems for FREE. Maybe they didn't originally, but now they DO. It shows corporate responsibility, something that it took Sony being SUED to do. Even then, they only did repairs for a limited time and you still had to pay for shipping.

As for me, I take care of my stuff and I never had the DRE on the PS2.

That's another thing I love, is that when you complain about a prior consoles failure/defect rate, people immediately say 'you must not take care of your stuff'.

I baby my electronics and have had many of them for decades now.

Either way, I'm done. Have fun responding, since I won't be replying back.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='smiggity']Waa Waa Waa. I knew you would be in here crying. I had a launch PS2 and it STILL works. I agree with Paco here comparing the PS2 and Xbox360 manufacturing problems is way outta touch. Sounds like you and your buddy are just wayyy to rough on your consoles.[/quote]

Good for you that your launch PS2 is still working. However, many MILLIONS(don't have #'s to back this up unfortunately)don't have their launch PS2's because of the DRE.

It was a KNOWN problem, it happened to MANY.

As for me, I had video problems, which I later determined to have been caused by taking my PS2 up my one buddies' house repeatedly. It was actually the ports on my tv which were messed up and NOT the PS2.

However, MANY people I know have babied their consoles and they STILL had problems. Some problems just happen, no matter HOW you treat your stuff.

Believe me, I've repaired alot of PS2's over the years and ones that you would think would never work(scratched to shit on the outside, dusty as hell on the inside) worked flawlessly, while the ones that were well taken care of had numerous problems.

Every console has had a failure rate and while the 360 and PS2 had/have some problems people have learned to accept them.

But I still get a kick out of people who have to rush to Sony's defense and call others crybabies. You'd think I insulted your family or something with some of these responses.

My take on this is that this shit needs to quit, people need to quit trying to cause a ruckus, and face the facts. fuck the numbers! ALL three systems have their share of issues, the 360's hardware, the ps3's initial cost of the system, the wii's flooded with shovel ware & and the online leaves a lot to be desired.

They all have their positives as well. Like 360's x-box live service & exclusives, ps3's free psn service, ps3 exclusives, wii has an interesting and (sometimes) fun interface when done right, Wii exclusives(mario, metroid, Zelda, etc.)

ALL three can offer any gamer plenty of incentives for games to pick up any of the systems, especially if you have online. All three have EXCELLENT games that can be downloaded for a fee of course.

What I'm trying to say is basically no matter what system you have or that one is looking to buy, like everything else in life you have to take the good with the bad.. End of story.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='js1']My take on this is that this shit needs to quit, people need to quit trying to cause a ruckus, and face the facts. fuck the numbers! ALL three systems have their share of issues, the 360's hardware, the ps3's initial cost of the system, the wii's flooded with shovel ware & and the online leaves a lot to be desired.

They all have their positives as well. Like 360's x-box live service & exclusives, ps3's free psn service, ps3 exclusives, wii has an interesting and (sometimes) fun interface when done right, Wii exclusives(mario, metroid, Zelda, etc.)

ALL three can offer any gamer plenty of incentives for games to pick up any of the systems, especially if you have online. All three have EXCELLENT games that can be downloaded for a fee of course.

What I'm trying to say is basically no matter what system you have or want one is looking to buy, like everything else in life you have to take the good with the bad.. End of story.[/quote]

:applause: Amen to that.

[quote name='Chacrana']Man, sales numbers don't fucking matter - there's like nothing to play on the thing. That's the problem.[/QUOTE]

Come on Chac! Not everyone owns every system, me for example I own a Wii & PS3. So only way get to play Fallout 3, Dead Space, GTA 4, etc. is though my PS3. Although, I did just get a 360.(it was given to me)

I think that to most people if you own just a 360 or just a PS3 it does not make a lot of sense to own both because this gen more that ever, there are not that many system exclusives anymore, of course you have your standard Sony, MS, titles that will solely be on that certain system and a handful of others but, the majority of games come out on the same day for both or eventually see release on the "other" system.

No matter what system you have it's a win.

Yeah, why are we still arguing about this? For every post that says that the PS3 doesn't have any good games, there's one to say that the 360 has generic games. The OP made great points and then it just devolved into a dick measuring contest like every one of these threads always do.

1. Choose what kind of games you like.
2. Decide which system has most of those games (or will in the future).
3. Buy said system.
4. Enjoy.
5. Stop bitching about the systems you chose not to buy. We don't want to hear how there aren't any good exclusives, multi-platform games, or online shooters for the other systems you didn't buy. If you have a system but don't like any of the games, sell the system and see #1.

Please stop acting like every video game company owes you the games you want to play. If it means that much, get a degree in graphic arts or software development and make your own damn games.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']"sub-gamecube"? PS3 has already sold 17 million in its 2 years, the gamecube sold 21 million over the period of 5-6 years... Calling it "sub-gamecube" is like saying the PSP is "sub-atari lynx".[/QUOTE]

yes, you would think so, but this graph paints another picture completely:
2zyc29h.jpg

Don't stop bitching about other consoles. It is entertaining and just a normal part of forum activities. Of course we have to have people saying to stop bitching to keep up appearances and what not, but carry on!

Can I ask two questions, if anyone knows of a source...

One, how many of each system (PS3 and 360) are actually in households? Meaning, how many were not bought to be replacements.

And two, kind of following from the previous, what's the ratio between those best selling games for both the 360 and PS3? Because, obviously there are more 360s out there, so it would be expected to see more of the best-sellers to sell, whereas since there are fewer PS3s out, not as many best-sellers would sell.

[quote name='ninja dog']yes, you would think so, but this graph paints another picture completely:
2zyc29h.jpg
[/quote]

Uhh, can we we have some context on what the numbers on the left mean? And omg, the PS3 has 0 sales so far in 2009. Abandon ship!

[quote name='jer7583']This is the worst thread on CAG. Close it.[/QUOTE]

As long as youve been here, you know that just isnt true....theres been worse, waaaaaay worse.

[quote name='d3gauss3r']Can I ask two questions, if anyone knows of a source...

One, how many of each system (PS3 and 360) are actually in households? Meaning, how many were not bought to be replacements.

And two, kind of following from the previous, what's the ratio between those best selling games for both the 360 and PS3? Because, obviously there are more 360s out there, so it would be expected to see more of the best-sellers to sell, whereas since there are fewer PS3s out, not as many best-sellers would sell.[/QUOTE]

Thats a really good question because know here on CAG people have bought at least one additional 360 to replace a broken one. Only MS would be able to report those numbers. But even if they did do the research, its not like they would ever release the data.

The word "debunked" is in the title, which 80% of the time is a good indicator that a thread is going to be shit, the fact that it's about console sales numbers notwithstanding.

Take this shit back to GameTrailers or GameFAQs.

I'm surprised someone didn't say that the PS3 is a fad.

I think the price alone seconded with software titles are hard to push PS3 units.

[quote name='Halo05']Sony Defense Force assemble!!!

(can someone post an gif of Voltron coming together?)[/QUOTE]

At this point, it's not even a force. It's a loosely knit group of "leave britney alone!" types.

[quote name='ninja dog']At this point, it's not even a force. It's a loosely knit group of "leave britney alone!" types.[/QUOTE]

?

2e6bzuf.jpg

[quote name='RedvsBlue']"sub-gamecube"? PS3 has already sold 17 million in its 2 years, the gamecube sold 21 million over the period of 5-6 years... Calling it "sub-gamecube" is like saying the PSP is "sub-atari lynx".[/quote]
I think he may be reffering to the quality and number of exlusive games.

[quote name='ninja dog']At this point, it's not even a force. It's a loosely knit group of "leave britney alone!" types.[/quote]

:lol:

That's all I'm saying about that. Ahhhhh crap, I forgot I wasn't supposed to be posting in here anymore after defending myself against the SDF.

Mine plays Blu-Rays, and played Metal Gear.

I am fine with it.

It will play my FF13 Demo, and will play FF13 without having to get up and change the discs.

PS3 isn't dying anytime soon, ever.

Most third party publishers are getting their 1st or 2nd most revenue/profit from the PS3.
Analysis: PS3 selling more games than Xbox 360 with smaller install base
By Mike Ferro

Analysis: PS3 selling more games than Xbox 360 with smaller install base The PS3 is rapidly becoming the bread-winner for many of the third party publishers. We wrote a story a few months ago where according to EA’s financial report the PS3 was the clear bread-winner over the Xbox 360 and the Wii. Now it seems that Konami, Namco Bandi and Ubisoft have joined the ranks of EA where the PS3 console is brining in more money than the Xbox 360.

EA
In our previous story, we talked about how the PS3 is EA’s new bread-winner in terms of bringing home the bacon. According to EA’s previous financial statement, the PS3 accounted for about 17% of total revenue in comparison to the Xbox 360’s 10%. That is quite significant when considering that EA is the largest third party video game publisher in the world.

Namco Bandi
Namco Bandi is the largest third party publisher in Japan. According to the publisher’s recent financial statement, the PS3 currently moved approximately 57% more software than it’s direct competitor, the Xbox 360. Namco Bandi is sort of the EA of Japan, considering the amount of revenue it generates from software.

Konami

Konami is one of the top three publishers in Japan in terms of revenue. With the recent release of Metal Gear Solid 4, it is not all that surprising that the PS3 would have a larger piece of the pie. However, according to Konami’s recent financial statements, the PS3 accounted for a whopping 57.3% of the sales this past quarter, while the Xbox 360 accounted for only 2.6%. This changed from last year, when the Xbox 360 brought in more sales compared to the PS3.

UbiSoft

UbiSoft is considered to be one of the top three publishers in all of Europe. According to UbiSoft’s half year financial report (6 months 2008/09), the PS3 accounted for about 20% of the software sales compared to the Xbox 360’s 14%. Considering UbiSoft’s presence in Europe, this is quite a significant turn of event.

Wrap-up

It’s mind blowing that not only is the PS3 competing toe-to-toe with the Xbox 360, it is out performing the later in many of the instances. Considering that the Xbox 360 has a larger install base by 5 million, it looks like the PS3 is performing more efficiently in terms of sales for third party publishers.

Since 2005, when the Xbox 360 first launched with no competition, it seems that the PS3 has been steadily climbing in terms of the software sales. This pretty much means that the PS3 has been taking more and more potential Xbox 360 sales as time goes by. The future for the PS3 looks bright and healthy, however if the current trend continues the Xbox 360 might find itself struggling to compete in the market.
http://gamer.blorge.com/2008/10/26/...ames-than-xbox-360-with-smaller-install-base/

EA
EA YOY increase for PS3 is 969%

Electronic Art 2009 First Quarter Fiscal Report
Platform Revenue
PS3 17%
X360 10%
PS2 10%
Wii 7%
PC 11%
PSP 7%
NDS 3%
Wireless 5%
Others (Publishing/Internet/Co-Publishing 30%
http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS238451+29-Jul-2008+BW20080729

Ubi Soft
The six months total of 2008/2009 (fiscal),,,last six months
Platform Sales Percentage
NDS 38%
PC 10%
PS2 2%
PS3 20%
PSP 3%
Wii 11%
X360 14%
http://www.pdfdownload.org/pdf2html...D=a7e7dd6437825b39444ac12d9e61f3ee&images=yes

Take Two
Take Two from Q1-Q4:
360: 39%
PS3: 34%
Wii: 9%
PS2: 8%
PSP: 5%
PC: 3%
DS/GBA: 2%
Q4 Breakdown:
PS3: 35%
360: 28%
Wii: 13%
PS2: 8%
PSP: 7%
PC: 5%
DS/GBA: 4%
http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...c2aa2881644/TTWO_News_2008_12_17_Earnings.pdf

Maybe I should write an article that gets picked up by CNN saying "OMG, the Xbox 360 is a Sinking ship with its sales dropping by 11%", just like Eric Krangel did with PS3. :roll:

All this guy writes is Sony bashing, and here's proof:
http://www.alleyinsider.com/Sony
Nintendo Kicking Sony's Butt In Japan Too (NTDOY)

Sony's PS3 Virtual World "Home" Plagued By Sex Fiends (Video) (SNE)

Not Just The PS3: Sony's PSP Sales Stink Too (SNE)

Sony's PS3 A Sinking Ship: Sales Plummet (SNE)

Sony Cuts PS3 Prices By $150 -- If You Have Good Credit (SNE) (kind of bashes Sony for using a credit card discount and not a price cut)

The Hidden Cost Of That Videogame Machine: Electricity (kind of bashes PS3 for the amount of electricity used)

October Game Sales: Nintendo Wii Kicking PS3 Butt (There's no denying Wii sold the most, but why only say PS3 got its butt kicked when all platforms did?)
CNN picked up the article by this clown, GIANT Nintendo fanboy. The guy is an idiot, plain and simple (while I like Nintendo, this guy is moron). He kind of crapped on MS for acting like Nintendo didn't exists.

If PS3 was in danger, we wouldn't see third parties do well on PS3 and we'd see ZERO PS3 sales across the world. It's doing just fine (although not PS2 numbers) and will be sticking around, whether anyone likes it or not. ALL consoles are here to stay.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']PS3 isn't dying anytime soon, ever.
[/QUOTE]

Oh, bullshit. It's going to "die soon" at some point in time. It has to.

Are we allowed to like just what we like? I've much favored my PS3 for a while yet, but my 4th 360 has remained among the living long enough to rekindle my interest in that. Add in the HDD install option so my 360 doesn't sound like a jumbo jet when it's turned on, and I think it's improved remarkably. At least that's my take on it. Avatars are goofy, but hey, like Home, you can opt to use it or just make the one you're obliged to and leave it alone after that. Plus Netflix is soopa cool, even if the on demand options are quite limited.

My biggest hangup with the PS3, and it has been for years, centers on the limpdick support SCEA's given towards retro gaming, specifically releasing PSX titles via the PSN.

Let's go through the steps all over again. For $6, or, rather, 600 Yen, you can download these titles today on your PS3.

Alundra
Arc the Lad (I, II, and III)
Brave Fencer Musashi
Bushido Blade (I and II)
Dead or Alive
Dino Crisis
Ehrgeiz
Einhander
Front Mission 1st
Front Mission Alt
Guilty Gear
Intelligent Qube
Metal Gear Solid
Policenauts
Psychic Force 2
Rakugaki Showtime
Resident Evil
Resident Evil II
Rhapsody
SaGa Frontier
SaGa Frontier II
The King of Fighters '95 through '99
The Last Blade
The Silver Case
Wild Arms
Wild Arms II
Xenogears

Those are just the good titles, most of whom can be released domestically. There are around 250 PSX titles for download on the Japanese store. In the US, there are 24. And maybe 25, as Castlevania Chronicles is rumored to be released this afternoon.

That's shit. I'd love to have titles like that available to me for download. Especially the Square titles. fuck, man, bring me Dragon Warrior VII.

How much does the give-a-fuck attitude of SCEA to its very successful legacy contribute to your apathy to the platform? After all, without the VC, how interested would you be in the Nintendo Wii?

[quote name='mykevermin']After all, without the VC, how interested would you be in the Nintendo Wii?[/QUOTE]

Equally. The only VC game I have is Kirby's Adventure (which I already own on cart), cause I had money to burn after buying the browser.

VC games are twice expensive as they should be.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']PS3 isn't dying anytime soon, ever.

Most third party publishers are getting their 1st or 2nd most revenue/profit from the PS3.[/quote]

One important thing to note in all of your analysis is that when you get into corporate reports you are looking at global numbers versus just NA in the NPD's. In markets outside of the US the PS3 performs significantly better versus the 360. Last year that was compounded with the strong Euro and other currencies vs. the dollar which overaccentuated profits in international markets.

I have no interest is a "PS3 is dying" discussion, but I was curious where your numbers were coming from because they didn't make sense when in aggregate 360 software is outselling PS3 2 to 1 in NA.

[quote name='mykevermin']How much does the give-a-fuck attitude of SCEA to its very successful legacy contribute to your apathy to the platform? After all, without the VC, how interested would you be in the Nintendo Wii?[/quote]
That's a good point. Releasing a flood of quality PSX titles would be a handy response to the Virtual Console. You've got to wonder what the rationale is there. Even just releasing something like Xenogears stateside would be huge, given all the "where are the JRPGs" complaints the PS3 gets.

What a silly topic. The PS3 isn't going anywhere. It's stuck and third and won't get out of third, but it's not going anywhere.

And there will, unfortunately, be a PS4. Sony and MS should partner up on a console, there's no need for two graphics, pushing HD consoles in the market IMO, but it will never happen. No really skin off of my nose as I don't care for Sony's exclusives enough to feel a need to buy their consoles anyway. But would be nice to have everything on one console and Nintendo could fuck off with whatever casual gaming crap they want to do.

Why the Xbox 360 is outselling the PS3: because so many people are buying new ones to replace their dead ones!

HAR HAR HAR LULZ HAR!

Seriously, why does it seem like every generation we have to hear about a sinking ship and then nothing happens? The systems that fail are the ones not made by Nintendo, MS, and Sony.

[quote name='Vinny']Why the Xbox 360 is outselling the PS3: because so many people are buying new ones to replace their dead ones!

HAR HAR HAR LULZ HAR!

Seriously, why does it seem like every generation we have to hear about a sinking ship and then nothing happens? The systems that fail are the ones not made by Nintendo, MS, and Sony.[/QUOTE]

So you're saying if I make a system it's going to fail since I'm not Nintendo/MS/Sony?

Way to kill the dream man :cry:

This fucking thread makes me upset. It has all the quality of a discussion between sad, shameful teenagers in a gamestop store.

PS3 isn't dying, but it's not nearly as alive or well as the other two consoles.

PS3 has, for all intents and purposes, less games available than the 360. Not accounting for personal taste or whatever, for just games, it's hard to even argue that the PS3 is even equal with the 360 on those grounds.

360 has more games. Just like the PS2 did. And that's okay. You can put down your pitchforks. It's alright to be in third place. Lots of people enjoyed gamecube last generation too. And they didn't even have blu-ray.

[quote name='jkanownik']One important thing to note in all of your analysis is that when you get into corporate reports you are looking at global numbers versus just NA in the NPD's. In markets outside of the US the PS3 performs significantly better versus the 360. Last year that was compounded with the strong Euro and other currencies vs. the dollar which overaccentuated profits in international markets.

I have no interest is a "PS3 is dying" discussion, but I was curious where your numbers were coming from because they didn't make sense when in aggregate 360 software is outselling PS3 2 to 1 in NA.[/QUOTE]

How about you show some numbers of games sales, to show that 360 software is outselling PS3 2 to 1. You might be right, but how about some research to support what you're saying.

The real question is..

Do people dislike the PS3 so much that would like to see the console fail? If Sony were to close up shop I don't think it would be good to have to rely on MS to support the gaming industry. (along with Nintendo).

[quote name='Thomas96']The real question is..

Do people dislike the PS3 so much that would like to see the console fail? If Sony were to close up shop I don't think it would be good to have to rely on MS to support the gaming industry. (along with Nintendo).[/QUOTE]

I really don't care. I'd like to see Sony and MS partner up on a console since they both want graphics pushing machines with multimedia functions. Not really much need to have two of those on the market. I don't care much personally as Sony doesn't have enough exclusives for me to care to own their consoles any more since third party exclusives are pretty much dead and I really only play FPS and WRPGs these days.

But I do think that there would be plenty of competition with one console like that and whatever Nintendo puts out to keep the good games flowing. There would be plenty of competition with just one console honestly. With production costs what they are now there's huge competition to make good games which stand out and sell enough to make a profit.

But as for your comment about people disliking the PS3, I do think there is some animosity towards Sony and the PS3. Launching at $500-600 and saying people would work more to buy it etc. etc. really put a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths. Sony miscalculated with the price, and worsened the impact with hideous PR. They won the high definition movie format war, but it cost them their dominance in the video game industry.

Yeah we don't need 3 major players. And I'd rather have Microsoft's more standardized development than Sony's bizonkers architecture. Just improve the build quality next time, MS. We know you can. The Xbox 1 was a fucking indestructible brick.

What does Sony really offer, hardware-wise, other than Blu-Ray? The PS3 is an unnessecary device. The 360 does everything it does better, outside of blu-ray. (which IMO isn't really needed for games at this point)

I have owned all three at launch but so far I don't do much but play the 360. The PS3 plays all my blu-ray and dvds and the wii is brought out when people are over. Other than that I spend about 80% of my time on the 360 which has only increased now that netflix streaming is available. I like all three systems. None of them are going away any time soon.

Not sure why people are so console centric. I love them all for what they are. This is entertainment, not a holy war.

[quote name='Ryandb2']Not sure why people are so console centric. I love them all for what they are. This is entertainment, not a holy war.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. All three of these companies suck, I've never understood why anyone has any loyalty to any of them.

Last gen I owned all three, this gen I decided to just own one as I don't game enough to justify having multiple consoles around. Started with the Wii, tired of it and bought a 360 and eventually sold the Wii a few months later as I wasn't playing it at all.

But I have no love or hate for any of these companies. I just went with the 360 as it had the best selection of FPS and WRPG games and, again, that's about all I play these days. Sony has a few games I wouldn't mind playing, but nothing I'd buy the console for and miss games like Gears of War, Mass Effect, Halo etc. But it would be nice of Sony and MS partnered up in the future and we had all their exlusives on one high powered HD gaming machine. But it will likely never happen.

[quote name='jer7583']Yeah we don't need 3 major players. And I'd rather have Microsoft's more standardized development than Sony's bizonkers architecture. Just improve the build quality next time, MS. We know you can. The Xbox 1 was a fucking indestructible brick.

What does Sony really offer, hardware-wise, other than Blu-Ray? The PS3 is an unnessecary device.[/quote]

You'll have to be more specific here, since these two sentences seem contradictory. If it offers nothing other than Blu-Ray, then it fails to meet your criterion of 'unnecessary.' And if it has things that are 'unnecessary,' then you don't need to ask the first question, as you would simply know the answer and be able to spell out what those things are.

The 360 does everything it does better, outside of blu-ray. (which IMO isn't really needed for games at this point)

I'm not sure what your definition of "everything" is, but hey, them's the breaks.

For myself, I don't use Windows computers. I have an iMac and a MacBook Pro. I have a freeware extension that lets me stream all my video/music from my computer to my PS3 (MediaLink) absolutely effortlessly. So I can't stream to my 360; I've used Macs for 16 years plus now, so I'm no longer burned by the idea that we don't exist as a market to concede exists. So I'm not sour that MS hasn't tried to get streaming from Mac to 360; that said, it's unarguable that it's an oversight on their part. Or, on the other side of the coin, another way to shoehorn their product into all elements of your household. Companies are like that.

I've toyed around with Linux on my PS3, and haven't put all that much time and effort into it; but I'd like to think that I'd be able to...erm...'classic game' on it. At least those consoles that don't take much effort/power to emulate that I won't ever see on the VC, like the MSX. Linux is cool, but I'm not at all savvy enough to use it.

The as-of-yet unused aspect of my PS3 I will eventually enjoy is its region-free software. I imported a good bit on the PSX, a bit more on the PS2, and likely will on the PS3. I haven't seen anything that's yet screamed "must buy" on the import scene (esp. when you consider that the jump from $50 to $60 MSRP has taken its toll in the cost of imported software, which has jumped even more). But I suspect it will eventually. King of Colosseum 3? I don't know if that's even on the pipeline, but I like it.

I also love love love the cost of the PSX titles; as I've mentioned, it really sticks in my craw that Sony's shit the bed when it comes to taking advantage of their classic titles. It stings even more when they have Square-Enix on board in Japan, releasing the "never gonna be remade, reprinted, and/or not named Final Fantasy" PSX classics. Seeing even 1 consistent PSX release per month would be something, even if it was another shitting Syphon Filter. But, as SCEA's forgotten there was a Playstation 1, apparently, there are now as many "Xbox Classics" on the 360 for DL as there are PSX titles for purchase in the US on the PSN. They're released 2-3 titles on the PSN since July of this year. That's fucking shit, and people don't mention this a great deal, but I think it contributes a whole helluva lot to how people perceive the PS3. I have purchased 12 PSX titles on the PSN; 8 or 9 of them are Japanese. I bought Wild Arms, Warhawk, and something else I forgot from the US store. But that's it. I mean, c'mon. Ehrgeiz? Einhander? fuckin' Xenogears!?!?! XENOGEARS. Good thing I still have my disc copy.

But, anyway, yeah, there are things the PS3 offers that are excellent, that I couldn't do on the 360, and/or that are still, as of yet, quite promising. To say it's unnecessary has me wondering if you're more trying to convince me, others, or simply yourself.

The only stat that really matters is that year over year sales in November were down for PS3 and up for everyone else. That is a bad sign. It is approaching single digit market share. That said, it is the developers that hold the PS3's fate. If they stop developing for it in large numbers then it is dead but not until then.

I think having God of War 3 out in 2009 can only help the situation.

[quote name='blackflag']
I think having God of War 3 out in 2009 can only help the situation.[/QUOTE]

I really wonder about that. God of War is a popular series, but will it really sell that many consoles? It's not GTA, Halo, Gears of War, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy etc.

Maybe if the couple it with a price cut and put out a bundle. How did the PSP God of War bundle sell?

Consoles that launch that much higher in price than the competition need to fail. No exceptions.

I dont want anyone in the future ever thinking that its a good idea.

And then you see information like this:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/12/18/high-velocity-bowling-–-new-dlc-and-holiday-surprises/

You, too, can download a child molester and emo fruitbat for High Velocity Bowling!

3116313233_f43d6ca2ca.jpg

Sometimes I think there are marketing parallels b/w Sony and the Bush administration. Shit's gone dead wrong all around, and while we don't have Tommy Thompson telling us to cover our windows in duct tape, we get development funds spent on getting your trucker neighbor into a bowling game.

"Hey, how about some PSX titles? Or maybe even one?"
"We hear and see your feedback; here's Cletus for bowling! And David Hasselhoff for Pain!"

bread's done
Back