PS3... out of stock everywhere

[quote name='Microshock']Amazon has it in stock for 370 dollars for the 120GB and 470 dollars for the 250GB. Wow.

They are outside sellers though but goddamn, it's like the Wii's first 2 years[/QUOTE]

yea i'd skip those guys, the ps3s will be back in stores soon enough. it's just jerks trying to cash in.

I think just all the stocks have been drained after christmas with the new lower price and the new year has been good to ps3 sales so far. I dont know that its just one thing.

Course when I picked up heavy rain I saw 2 people actually buy a ps3 system and heavy rain with it.

Im sure god of war 3 does have some impact though considering in the gaming crowd it is a very highly regarded and well known series. Im sure quite a few gamers that didnt have one have finally decided to get one for GOW3 plus other games they been wanting to play.

went looking sunday here and all the places i went were sold out :/ gonna call a bunch of places and pester them before my next class lol.

I got tired of calling stores. Dell has them for sale through their site at the moment with a $30 discount and FS. The catch is that the estimated delivery date isn't until 3/26/10. The total price after tax was $289.85. Not too bad. Now I just have to wait a couple of weeks to play FFXIII.

Glad to hear about the PS3's change in fortune, although unfortunate that it can't take full advantage of the market situation.

And it definitely has to do w/ Yakuza 3 being released.

[quote name='yukonrye']I got tired of calling stores. Dell has them for sale through their site at the moment with a $30 discount and FS. The catch is that the estimated delivery date isn't until 3/26/10. The total price after tax was $289.85. Not too bad. Now I just have to wait a couple of weeks to play FFXIII.[/QUOTE]

supposedly the bing cash back works on this too.

Shortage could be planned by Sony to actually make money on PS3 this year. Let existing PS3 owners buy more games instead of selling ton of new hardware for huge losses.

[quote name='alongx']If I'm not mistaken, everyone thought the same about Killzone 2, didn't they? And that didn't end up selling many systems.[/QUOTE]

Besides fanboys maybe, who actually touted Killzone 2 as a system's mover? I don't think the first game even moved a million copies. Hell, even the PSP GoW game sold more than that.

Thought I read somewhere today that Dell had a PS3 deal for $30 off. It's probably OOS by now, but worth a look.

I got lucky and found one at a K-Mart 20 miles away tonight. They literally had one left and the guy was cool enough to hold it for me. I was hoping I could have found one at Gamestop so I could use my credit, but I used that for Heavy Rain and will use the rest for God of War III next week.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I got lucky and found one at a K-Mart 20 miles away tonight. They literally had one left and the guy was cool enough to hold it for me. I was hoping I could have found one at Gamestop so I could use my credit, but I used that for Heavy Rain and will use the rest for God of War III next week.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

I know PS3's are pretty much impossible to find in a B&M shop around Chicago. My dad was just trying to buy one and he went to 6 stores without success. The kids want to PS3, but they just can't :(

Got my hands on 120GB Slim @ Dell.com for 269.99 to replace Christmas 2007 40GB Spiderman 3 PS3 whose Blu-ray player finally died on me... Uncharted 2 thrown in for $40. Not bad... $310 + tax & FREE SHIP too... like said before have to wait 'til 3/29 but alright for hard to find system. Love my 360, but PS3 has a nice looking line-up with Heavy Rain, MLB the Show, GOW III, GT 5, FF XIII etc....

I posted this in another thread, but I wonder if there's any truth to this:

I was thinking about this last night after I watched Sony's GDC talk, and I think the deal is that they're coming out with new SKUs that include the PS Move. That's why they've let their supply kind of tap out a little, just like they did before the Slim came out. One of the guys on stage (Peter Dille maybe?) mentioned that they're going to have several buying options where you get a PS3, a Game, the PS Eye and the Move controllers. So I'll bet this was kind of planned (I say "kind of" because I'll bet they weren't sure that Uncharted 2 was going to sell as many consoles as it did after Christmas).

I found two brand new slims at my K-mart recently. They had a sticker (I think it was a sticker) on them saying Netflix ready. So maybe Sony is finally putting out more consoles?

So what's the explanation for the lack of consoles on Sony's end? They said to expect a post-christmas shortage, and we're in the middle of a month with several fantastic games...and they haven't really been accommodating their demand still? Sheesh.

[quote name='HuBu']kMART is giving away GoW Collections with a 120GB Ps3 purchase.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the guy at K-Mart told me they had that deal but they were out of the bundles. I told him I didn't care I just wanted the PS3. I already beat GoW 1, 2, and Chains of Olympus so I really didn't care if I got it or not.

PS3's are in stock at Sears.com for the time being, only place I could find that had them, and they were listed out of stock there yesterday.

This shortage is probably of the new Slim SKU's they filled back in Feb 22... ECH-2101A and CECH-2101B. With pretty much every store running out of PS3 Slims, they will probably release the new SKU's soon to the market.

[quote name='Jek Porkins']There's got to be a serious problem if Sony didn't cover the shortage in time for the FFXIII release.[/QUOTE]I think I heard somewhere that there's a HDD shortage going on.

Sometimes a GameStop location near me will get them, but they can be hard to find.

Sony really screwed themselves this time. They would have colossal sales for March if it weren't for this shortage. Tons of people have cash in hand ready to buy one to play GOWIII, FFXIII, etc... but can't find one. It's really quite unfortunate.

yeah, they are taking a wrong card from the Nintendo playbook this time. Although I believe Nintendo and I really have a hard time understanding this shortage from Sony.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Sony really screwed themselves this time. They would have colossal sales for March if it weren't for this shortage. Tons of people have cash in hand ready to buy one to play GOWIII, FFXIII, etc... but can't find one. It's really quite unfortunate.[/QUOTE]

Well, buy one when they do come back in stock.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']Well, buy one when they do come back in stock.[/QUOTE]

I already own one, I'm just pointing out how much of a screw up this is for Sony. Not like they wanted it or anything, but this has to be one of the worst possible scenarios for them. I could understand if it's during a gaming drought but this has got to be their biggest 1-2 month span of quality game releases this generation.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I already own one, I'm just pointing out how much of a screw up this is for Sony. Not like they wanted it or anything, but this has to be one of the worst possible scenarios for them. I could understand if it's during a gaming drought but this has got to be their biggest 1-2 month span of quality game releases this generation.[/QUOTE]

Retailers are also partially to blame. Sony bases their production on retailer orders and retailers were very stingy on their orders this year.

My local stores were all sold out so I had to settle for buying a new slim at Gamestop. The last one any of the stores in my area had in stock.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Retailers are also partially to blame. Sony bases their production on retailer orders and retailers were very stingy on their orders this year.[/QUOTE]

They are always stingy. That is why Sony needed to check up instead of taking retailers' word for it. If PS3 doesn't outsell 360 on the month GOW3 comes out... somebody at Sony better get fired.

So when are the slims supposed to be coming back to the retail channels? Is it worth it to wait and see if the new models from the FCC are actually any different? I happened to come into some cash and there are no slims around in my area. This is a drag.

Ive checked a lot of different stores and there seems to be no ps3's anywhere. Does anyone know whats going on?

Why have games in stock if you aren't going to have the system that plays them in stock. I just don't think that retailers could be that dumb.. not to order many systems when they know big games are coming out for the system.

[quote name='Thomas96']Why have games in stock if you aren't going to have the system that plays them in stock. I just don't think that retailers could be that dumb.. not to order many systems when they know big games are coming out for the system.[/QUOTE]

It's a shortage on the manufacturing level. It isn't just the retailers fault. It isn't all Sony's fault either. Some parts (HDD's were mentioned in this thread) are probably having an unforeseen shortage. It's unfortunate, but obviously it's not how they drew it up

[quote name='cochesecochese']So when are the slims supposed to be coming back to the retail channels? Is it worth it to wait and see if the new models from the FCC are actually any different? I happened to come into some cash and there are no slims around in my area. This is a drag.[/QUOTE]

The 2 models sent to the FCC have the same specs. They either had to switch a manufacturer for the parts in the PS3 probably due to supply of those parts or they are trying to ramp up production. Less likely is the rumor that they're using new Slims instead of refurbs to replace people's broken systems with the new option they give in order to get YLOD off the market.

[quote name='jh6269']I posted this in another thread, but I wonder if there's any truth to this:

I was thinking about this last night after I watched Sony's GDC talk, and I think the deal is that they're coming out with new SKUs that include the PS Move. That's why they've let their supply kind of tap out a little, just like they did before the Slim came out. One of the guys on stage (Peter Dille maybe?) mentioned that they're going to have several buying options where you get a PS3, a Game, the PS Eye and the Move controllers. So I'll bet this was kind of planned (I say "kind of" because I'll bet they weren't sure that Uncharted 2 was going to sell as many consoles as it did after Christmas).[/QUOTE]

As I said in other thread you posted this - Move is not coming out until Fall now so they would not do this now.

[quote name='J7.']The 2 models sent to the FCC have the same specs. They either had to switch a manufacturer for the parts in the PS3 probably due to supply of those parts or they are trying to ramp up production. Less likely is the rumor that they're using new Slims instead of refurbs to replace people's broken systems with the new option they give in order to get YLOD off the market.[/QUOTE]
Word. I was thinking SONY was maybe changing up the interior a bit like they did with the phatties a few times.

Corollary 1: AndriaSang Article

A retailer is reporting today that Sony will be giving the PlayStation 3 a slight weight reduction from its current 3.2kg to 3.0kg. This will be accompanied by a change in model number from CECH-2000A to CECH-2100A.
Corollary 2: Rakuten Product Listing

This is from a few minutes of research and some surfing on NeoGAF. Sorry if it was posted earlier in the thread or whatev. I guess I'll sit tight a few weeks to pick up the 'newest' version of the slim since I've been so antsy about it anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='J7.']As I said in other thread you posted this - Move is not coming out until Fall now so they would not do this now.[/QUOTE]

Well, I think Sony underestimated how well the PS3 would sell b/c of Uncharted 2 over the holiday. So they probably had planned on letting the stock thin out a bit until they could roll out Move. And remember, Move was supposed to be out in the spring, but it got pushed back to fall...

[quote name='hqn101']why is the ps3 $370 on amazon[/QUOTE]

People are taking advantage of the short supply. Don't pay $370, just keep looking, you'll find one.

[quote name='jh6269']People are taking advantage of the short supply. Don't pay $370, just keep looking, you'll find one.[/QUOTE]

I already got one I was just wondering, even at that price it's still number 1.

What about the locater at Gamestop? Can it be trusted? I ask cuz I see a few area GS's by me show that they have them. I'm gonna call around tomorrow.

Also, I'm kinda thinking that places like best buy may have some on Tuesday to go along with GoW3....just speculating on my part.

bread's done
Back