PS3 scheduled for $100 price drop to $499.99 after E3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='jeffreyjrose']Microsoft probably won't make an official counter-move because of several reasons: 1) the recent warranty increase, 2) the release of Halo in 2 months should move systems well enough, and 3) the fact that their games division is bleeding money. Maybe after the first of the year, but I don't see it happening now. The only way to force them into a price drop would be if the PS3 started selling phenomenally well and 360 sales plummeted.

I hope the $100 price drop for Sony is true!!![/QUOTE]

1. The warranty increase was nothing more then to save face before a class action suit.
  2. Halo 3 and a price drop would move even more.
  3. The game division is in the best condition since the Xbox brand came out.
  4. MS isn't going to wait until next year for a price drop if Sony drops the PS3 price. The only time MS hasn't followed suit after a Sony price drop is when the PS2 dropped to $130 from $150 price right before the 360 came out. They will follow suit and are waiting for Sony to make their first move.

[quote name='Apossum']there are also a handful PSN titles that pretty much blow anything on XBL or the Wii away (imho) but get no coverage.[/QUOTE]

Like what? My big problem with the PSN games is that you have to pay full price for them, no exceptions. I HATE that :lol:. With the Wii and 360 I can get points cards for less than half price (with trade-ins, etc). That basically means to me the PSN is the most expensive of the 3 (since I also got my XBL cards dirt cheap too - have it paid through most of 2009 for about $40 total).

flOw, Calling All Cars!, Tekken 5: DR (soon to be online), and Blast Factor are all awesome PSN games. I'd put any of them up against anything from XBLA.

I may get one around then... but probably later, once some ghhhhhhhhaymez* come out.

* Chad Warden.

[quote name='depascal22']flOw, Calling All Cars!, Tekken 5: DR (soon to be online), and Blast Factor are all awesome PSN games. I'd put any of them up against anything from XBLA.[/quote]

Don't forget Super Stardust HD.

If anything this is more of a backlash against early adoptors (again). This has to make everyone think twice about buying a launch console, especially when the only temptation for me was "Well, I am one of the first to own it... and not sell it on eBay losing on potential hundreds of dollars in profit :(". It's amazing how this system sold for so much on eBay when it was launched, and now not even a year later It's dropped in price! BTW, Aren't they still losing hundreds on each console?!

Oh wait who cares? This is CAG. Go out there and make Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo bleed, as long as you save money this doesn't matter :) fuck the early adoptors and people who pay for games in full price, this is about saving money! Booyah.

[quote name='io']Like what? My big problem with the PSN games is that you have to pay full price for them, no exceptions. I HATE that :lol:. With the Wii and 360 I can get points cards for less than half price (with trade-ins, etc). That basically means to me the PSN is the most expensive of the 3 (since I also got my XBL cards dirt cheap too - have it paid through most of 2009 for about $40 total).[/QUOTE]
How much did you pay for the games you trade in?

[quote name='depascal22']flOw, Calling All Cars!, Tekken 5: DR (soon to be online), and Blast Factor are all awesome PSN games. I'd put any of them up against anything from XBLA.[/QUOTE]
Castlevania: SOTN = 360 WIN

[quote name='spoo']
  1. The warranty increase was nothing more then to save face before a class action suit.
  2. Halo 3 and a price drop would move even more.
  3. The game division is in the best condition since the Xbox brand came out.
  4. MS isn't going to wait until next year for a price drop if Sony drops the PS3 price. The only time MS hasn't followed suit after a Sony price drop is when the PS2 dropped to $130 from $150 price right before the 360 came out. They will follow suit and are waiting for Sony to make their first move.
[/quote]
1. I actually think MS was also trying to give more of an incentive to sending 360s back rather than just give up on them and lower software sales. Plus, if the rumors are true, they can use their new methods so that 360 refurbs don't die as often and people won't need to send them back and so that the negative press goes away.
2. This is true. Halo 3 and a pricedrop could give the 360 some distance from the Wii, but since 360 hasn't price dropped already, even though it should have instead of coming out with a new model, I'm almost thinking that MS doesn't care as much about beating Nintendo than they do about beating Sony.
3. I don't know anything about this, but like I said earlier, that warranty extension is going to cost them a ton.
4. That is because the PS2 was in first place and MS was playing catch up. They don't really have to follow third place.

[quote name='mwynn']How much did you pay for the games you trade in?[/QUOTE]
Uh, less than half the amount of what I got for them. That was the point ;).

[quote name='NamPaehc']Hmmm that is a port... Which you can pop into the PS3 and run.[/QUOTE]
I didn't realize we were talking about exclusives/ports.

I was just pointing out the best game on XBLA or PSN.

someone was right ... as usual, Joystiq didn't credit speedy for the price drop. I mean seriously, does it harm journalistic integrity all that much to put a damn name next to a story other than their own??

For shame!

This price drop doesn't make sense to me. They're still $100 higher than the normal model 360, which is still outselling them and is still by far the HD console of choice. If they still cost more than the competition, which they were already losing to, what's the point? $400 is when the PS3 turns things around. $300 is when it matters.

It's good to see Sony didn't stick with the stubborn PSP pricing and dropped sooner rather than later.

[quote name='jer7583']This price drop doesn't make sense to me. They're still $100 higher than the normal model 360, which is still outselling them and is still by far the HD console of choice.[/quote]

HD Console of choice??? Not sure what that is referring to...

Anyway, if the drop is true, Sony is banking on customers seeing the value they are getting. Yes they are paying $100 more but they are getting things the 360 doesn't offer out of the box.

not sure about MS gonna lose a tons of money.. on the warranty thing.. they're probably banking on the 'rebate' mentality here.. where like 40% (or less) people submit their rebates (with form, UPC and envelopes ready) How many people (non-tech savvy) will be willing to work to find all the necessary paperwork and mail them in to get refund?

Also, I guess the newer machine probably has been improve to the point that MS can afford to give an extend warranty on them. So yes, they'll lose money but they probably won't lose that much (and they'll make it up in the perception of the borderline potential buyer anyway).

The PS3 price drop for $100 will help Sony increase its sale.. but won't help to increase much.. the only customer who will buy PS3 now will be mainly the one that on the fence about getting it because of the high price (the customer who's willing to buy at $500 instead of $600) For these customer, the selection of games, etc probably don't matter that much since that what Sony probably find out already that price is the 'most' important factor that they are not selling.. so basically they are lowering the price to remedy the problem short term. Their sale will pick up from this customer base.. but not for a prolong period of time. I really think Sony will need to go-all-out this holiday and will lower the price another $100 coupling with some good game release (what games are being release this year MGS4?) if that' the case.. they'll also pick up a tons more customer who located even lower in the bracket.. with combination of lower acceptable price ($400) and good game (MGS4?)... and the holiday spending frenzy..

Again... 360 will have to lower the price now.. since people 'expectation' are somewhat a reality (demand) simple economic, people spend/save on expectation. If they don't lower the price.. then as word spread out.... it can really hurt them since people are waiting for the product price to be lowered. If the PS3 sale doesn't pick up in the long run.. Sony will most likely have to drop another $100 this holiday..

As for Wii.... I really wonder what'd happend if somehow Nintendo can catch up with their supply and even come up with a few color such as black and pink this holiday season.. it's gonna be crazy :)

$500.00 seems fair given what's included, but I still need to get an HDTV and MGS4 needs to be released before I'll buy one.

But I went from "I'm probably not getting a PS3, ever" to "I'll pick one up when I have a better television and a game I'm really interested in."

Need to drop another $100 to $399 to be viable. $500, even as a Blu-Ray player, is still too high for the majority of consumers.

For some reason $399 seems far more less than $100 below $500. And I don't mean $101.

I bought my PS3 about a month ago at Target.. I wonder if there's a way to get that extra $100. I can't really do a real return since it has my stuff on it. Hmm..

[quote name='Oxybeles']Need to drop another $100 to $399 to be viable. $500, even as a Blu-Ray player, is still too high for the majority of consumers.

For some reason $399 seems far more less than $100 below $500. And I don't mean $101.[/quote]

I think Sony is perhasp thinking that it costs $200 for a HD DVD drive for the 360. Might make it look a bit more appealing for people looking for a quick way into the format war and ways to stretch their dollar ("well I can play movies and games on these..."). If they offer at $500 with built in blu ray, the 360 with the HD DVD drive will be $600 and which is maybe something they can point at?

[quote name='NamPaehc']I think Sony is perhasp thinking that it costs $200 for a HD DVD drive for the 360. Might make it look a bit more appealing for people looking for a quick way into the format war and ways to stretch their dollar ("well I can play movies and games on these..."). If they offer at $500 with built in blu ray, the 360 with the HD DVD drive will be $600 and which is maybe something they can point at?[/QUOTE]

You don't think MSFT will lower the price of the 360 now? They will. At this point they need to lower the HD DVD drive as a standalone can be had for $300. Originally it was $500 which made the $200 drive a steal.

[quote name='zewone']Castlevania: SOTN = 360 WIN[/QUOTE]

umm...ps1 game, hello. :lol: it should be out on the PSN at some point...it was announced. it'll only be $5 too, which is nice. no XBL-penis points though.

This price drop doesn't make sense to me. They're still $100 higher than the normal model 360, which is still outselling them and is still by far the HD console of choice. If they still cost more than the competition, which they were already losing to, what's the point? $400 is when the PS3 turns things around. $300 is when it matters.

to shed some light on the first sentence in your post, read the second one ;)

[quote name='io']Like what? My big problem with the PSN games is that you have to pay full price for them, no exceptions. I HATE that :lol:. With the Wii and 360 I can get points cards for less than half price (with trade-ins, etc). That basically means to me the PSN is the most expensive of the 3 (since I also got my XBL cards dirt cheap too - have it paid through most of 2009 for about $40 total).[/QUOTE]

if they get around to releasing Sony cards, that may solve your problem. those games other people mentioned are all worth full price though, cause they're all awesome and highly addictive. (well, Flow should be $5.) Tekken, Stardust, and Calling All Cars are the 3 best downloadable games right now, hands down. for serious.

Good move by Sony at this time, good way to drum up some sales.
I think that Sony is going to blow some minds away at E3 which will net some additional sales. The good news about this price drop is that its early which means that this time next year, we'll probably see another drop. At 499.99 the ps3 is better packages than the 360 elite. The hard drive is an important factor, but a blu ray drive / player could be considered more valuable than the 360x larger hardrive. 499.99 is a good price point, 360 elites sold well at 479.99, so 499.99 is a price that more consumers can work with.

This price drop is basically for Blue-Ray aficionados because you still can't justify that price point for that games that are out for PS3 right now.

I would just rather wait until the last minute before one of the big guns come out (MGS 4/Final Fantasy/etc.) before I get mine. And who knows, maybe by that time you can find an even better deal for the PS3 on this site.

Anyone want to take bets that the fabled PS3 "Elite" (larger hard drive, sixaxis with rumble, BC via software emulation) is going to come in right at the now-empty $600 price point?

[quote name='brianffrpg']This price drop is basically for Blue-Ray aficionados because you still can't justify that price point for that games that are out for PS3 right now.

I would just rather wait until the last minute before one of the big guns come out (MGS 4/Final Fantasy/etc.) before I get mine. And who knows, maybe by that time you can find an even better deal for the PS3 on this site.[/quote]

Im with you on this one. I have usually purchased new game systems the day they hit... even the 399 saturn :( , but this time I held out and feel I'm missing nothing. Of course I want MGS4 and FF13, but until then Im ok. For me the 360 is a gamers system. They only thing they dont have is the vast library yet and microsoft has trouble getting all the RPG's. It will be curious to see if people fall for the 500 price point.

[quote name='trq']Anyone want to take bets that the fabled PS3 "Elite" (larger hard drive, sixaxis with rumble, BC via software emulation) is going to come in right at the now-empty $600 price point?[/quote]
I hope they don't, but at least they dropped the price of something, unlike MS.

And man, it's like at every forum I go to, someone is named after George Costanza.:lol:

This is very exciting news. Not unexpected but definitely exciting. Now all we need is for Sony to drop some major game release bombshells. Who said the console war was over?

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']This is nearly completely nullified by the lack of the 20 gig model, though it did sell better back then so we should at least return to those levels.

Price drops don't happen in a vacuum. Consider the effect of a price drop on the PS2 versus the GC or Xbox1. The market leader widens the gap, whereas those that are far behind merely get a casual boost.

Consider the price drops and bundles of say, the Saturn.

My theory is that price drops flex current trends, but do not change them.

The tech that you get for the price is utterly meaningless. What are the GAMES you get for the price relative to the competitors.[/QUOTE]

Very true; a $100 pricedrop means very little compared to the 360, which is STILL cheaper & STILL the better choice for gamers. Now if at E3 we also get confirmation that big, EXCLUSIVE games are on the way, within the next 2-6 months, then this will be a huge anouncement.

Sadly, I'm going to go out on a limb and perdict that this will be the big anouncement. A vain attempt at defecting the other big anouncements from M$ & Nintendo. I hope I'm wrong, as I would love an excuse to own a PS3 (again). Sorry Fan-boys, but a small pricedrop and REBATES for five BR movies I could care less about (chances are pretty high that I wouldn't even watch them for free) are not reason enough to invest in one at the moment.

My vague understanding of history tells me that price drops early in the life cycle do not correlate well with future success (outside of the handheld market, since DS dropped $20 within 12 months and PSP didnt REALLY drop until just recently, not counting the pseudo-price drop of the introduction of the core pack)

[quote name='Thomas96']Good move by Sony at this time, good way to drum up some sales.
I think that Sony is going to blow some minds away at E3 which will net some additional sales. The good news about this price drop is that its early which means that this time next year, we'll probably see another drop. At 499.99 the ps3 is better packages than the 360 elite. The hard drive is an important factor, but a blu ray drive / player could be considered more valuable than the 360x larger hardrive. 499.99 is a good price point, 360 elites sold well at 479.99, so 499.99 is a price that more consumers can work with.[/QUOTE]

You're forgetting an important factor: the 360 library utterly destroys the PS3 library. Honestly, if the 360 had cost $600 and the PS3 had cost $400, I would pick the 360 STILL. As someone else stated elsewhere in this thread; the PS3 is only for gadget junkies and early adopters at this point ie; you bought it for BR or for games that aren't here yet.

E3 can and SHOULD change that. Sony rid themselves of some very probmatic personel and hopefully can get it act together.

Either way, this will be an important E3 for Sony.

This is definitely a step in the right direction, and will hopefully get the ball rolling for Sony. However, there's still not enough exclusive software out there that I'm really interested in yet. Considering that I've little interest in BluRay at the moment and that most multi-platform games still fare better on the 360, I guess I'll be waiting a little while longer.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']You're forgetting an important factor: the 360 library utterly destroys the PS3 library. Honestly, if the 360 had cost $600 and the PS3 had cost $400, I would pick the 360 STILL. As someone else stated elsewhere in this thread; the PS3 is only for gadget junkies and early adopters at this point ie; you bought it for BR or for games that aren't here yet.

E3 can and SHOULD change that. Sony rid themselves of some very probmatic personel and hopefully can get it act together.

Either way, this will be an important E3 for Sony.[/quote]

The part about the 360's titles... The 360 has been out a lot longer then the PS3 so of course it is going to have more titles right? It is crazy how people seem to forget that the system hasn't even been out a year yet. Look at this point in time in the 360's life and I'm sure that it is very similiar where more worthy titles are slowly starting to creap out.

[quote name='NamPaehc']The part about the 360's titles... The 360 has been out a lot longer then the PS3 so of course it is going to have more titles right? It is crazy how people seem to forget that the system hasn't even been out a year yet. Look at this point in time in the 360's life and I'm sure that it is very similiar where more worthy titles are slowly starting to creap out.[/QUOTE]
You think that matters to consumers?

They don't give a shit about why one system has more and better games, but just the fact that it has them is why they are going to pick one system over the other.

The comparison of software out NOW has to be made though.

In year 2 of PS3, you could say, but 360 is into its 3rd year of software, and then you could fallback on the same excuse.

[quote name='daphatty']This is very exciting news. Not unexpected but definitely exciting. Now all we need is for Sony to drop some major game release bombshells. Who said the console war was over?[/QUOTE]
You did, around E3.

You also said you weren't going to buy a PS3 no matter what.

And I'm holding you to that.

[quote name='zewone']You think that matters to consumers?

They don't give a shit about why one system has more and better games, but just the fact that it has them is why they are going to pick one system over the other.[/quote]
If you read what he wrote, he was swapping the systems... But was missing the fact that one had been out longer then the other which is VERY important.

Subtract ALL of the 360 games that weren't out post 9 months after the launch and ADD all of the PS3 games that are out WOULD be out if it had been launched when the 360 was and well... your argument doesn't stand up and since the PS3 would have more games it would be the winner, not the 360.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']A theoretical scenario in which the PS3 WOULD have more games is not relevant to the consumer.[/quote]

No, no it isn't. I didn't come up with it, but was just cleaning up what he said because it was flawed.

[quote name='NamPaehc']"Sony has no plans for price cut."

Confusing isn't it![/QUOTE]
The question is; Was he talking about a price drop in the UK or even one in Japan?

Japan already had its price cut before the system even came out, and the PS3 has only been available in the UK for a bit over 3 months.

[quote name='yukine']Didn't Sony say the same thing about the PSP? And then they cut the price a few months later?[/quote]

Every company does that, its smart to not say anything so you can still "milk a few more cows" who buy at an unfortunate timing.

[quote name='Brak']You did, around E3.

You also said you weren't going to buy a PS3 no matter what.

And I'm holding you to that.[/QUOTE]

LOL! Considering that I haven't had a job in 9 months (thanks to the wifey) I'd say there is nothing to worry about. Even then, Sony has to do ALOT more than drop the price of the PS3 to get me to buy one.

On a side note, now that E3 is no longer the hype machine it once was, does anyone seriously believe that Sony stands a chance to change their fortunes? Think about it. E3 will no longer have the thousands of non-industry attendees (a.k.a. hardcore gamers, a.k.a. early adopters, a.k.a. CUSTOMERS) that it once had. So who is left to preach the Sony gospel? Game "Journalists?" No.

One could argue that Sony indeed hammered the nail into its own coffin the day they decided to join/spearhead the movement to kill the E3 that was. Sony isn't the only company that stands to lose from the E3 format change but they certainly will be the biggest loser.

Good move by Sony.

I haven't read the whole thread so my thoughts may have been covered elsewhere, but I can imagine Sony is extremely angry that this got out so early for two reasons:

1) Anyone even thinking about buying one before E3 will now wait for the price drop, costing Sony $100 more loss on each system

2) IF (and it is a huge IF) Microsoft or even Nintendo were contemplating a price drop, it now gives them fair warning and may push them even further to make their system more attractive with a much lower price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back