PS3 Slim Redesign - Real - $299

[quote name='flameofdoom666']How about this....

Instead of worrying how to advertise the so-called PS3 slim, Sony should be considering an announcement of a price drop for the damn thing.[/QUOTE]

Fix'd. Sony needs to drop the fuckin' price on the PS3 already in order to compete with their cheaper competitors.

While they're at it, they could easily shave off $10-20 from the controller and other peripheral prices too. $55 for a controller? fuck you, Sony. I'm glad I got my Dual Shock 3 from Gamestop for trading in a pos PS2 I got for $10 and some clearance games I got for $1-4 each. I paid $0 out of pocket for it.

Second PS3? I'd gladly sell my 'fat' PS3 and grab a slim as long as it had the 'full BC' the 'ads' said it would.

I still have a handful of PS2 games I'd like to play/replay, but I'm not gonna give Sony $100 to buy a PStwo slim when/if the PS3 may have BC added back in.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']LOL @ all of the people screaming 'fake, fake, fake'. I bet many of them are the suckers who paid $600 for a PS3 at launch and they're just pissed that as little as 3 years later it may be dropped down to 50% off what they paid AND have full BC again.[/QUOTE]

Huh? Did you miss the link to the NeoGAF post where the guy explains how he made the fake KMart ad and sent it to all the news sites to trick them? It doesn't get any faker than that.

And again, I'm not saying the Slim doesnt exist, but these ads are fake.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='evophile']Huh? Did you miss the link to the NeoGAF post where the guy explains how he made the fake KMart ad and sent it to all the news sites to trick them? It doesn't get any faker than that.

And again, I'm not saying the Slim doesnt exist, but these ads are fake.[/QUOTE]

I didn't even bother to read most of the crap that those links sent me to since I really DON'T CARE. They will release a slim and price drop eventually, but they NEED to do it eventually since the PS3 is still overpriced compared to the competition.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I didn't even bother to read most of the crap that those links sent me to since I really DON'T CARE. They will release a slim and price drop eventually, but they NEED to do it eventually since the PS3 is still overpriced compared to the competition.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree with this.

But saying people who are calling the ads fake are suckers is just plain wrong when the ads themselves are in fact fake. That is truth.

Unless you're just saying theyre suckers because theyre saying slim & price drop are fake regardless, that's a whole other matter.

I just returned my KZ2/MGS4 PS3 bundle that I just bought 3 weeks ago because of this.I also noticed that all the KZ/MGS4 bundles are all gone in 1 of my BB stores in Durham NC and they had at least 8 since tax free weekend 8/7-8/9.Its not part of the TAX FREE stuff so its highly unlikely that they all sold out.I noticed the other 3 stores i went to never had that bundle in the first place.

Most of the BB stores here where i am located have limited availability of the PS3's and NO MORE KZ2/MGS4 Bundles.

Even if there will not be a PS3 SLIM next month or so, I have a feeling there will be some sort of response from Microsoft's price drop on their XBox Elites or Pros.Price drop on the PS3 is definitely coming very soon.As far as the SLIM coming out in a few weeks,not sure.One would think that SONY would want more time to advertise the SLIM coming but with MS making its move maybe they just cant afford being left behind.

Hey im just glad there is something to get excited about this coming 2 weeks.Its been pretty boring around here especially for PS3 imho.

[quote name='subzerorn']I just returned my KZ2/MGS4 PS3 bundle that I just bought 3 weeks ago because of this.I also noticed that all the KZ/MGS4 bundles are all gone in 1 of my BB stores in Durham NC and they had at least 8 since tax free weekend 8/7-8/9.Its not part of the TAX FREE stuff so its highly unlikely that they all sold out.I noticed the other 3 stores i went to never had that bundle in the first place.

Most of the BB stores here where i am located have limited availability of the PS3's and NO MORE KZ2/MGS4 Bundles.

Even if there will not be a PS3 SLIM next month or so, I have a feeling there will be some sort of response from Microsoft's price drop on their XBox Elites or Pros.Price drop on the PS3 is definitely coming very soon.As far as the SLIM coming out in a few weeks,not sure.One would think that SONY would want more time to advertise the SLIM coming but with MS making its move maybe they just cant afford being left behind.

Hey im just glad there is something to get excited about this coming 2 weeks.Its been pretty boring around here especially for PS3 imho.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, kind of reminds of when all the 60gb and 40gb PS3s disappeared. They've definitely been clearing the channel for something.

fake why is kmart and best buy using the same PS3 mock up created by someone on the NEOGAF forums?

Yes the PS3 is dropping in Price But not till 9-9-09

As a "in yo face SEGA Dreamcast happy 10th Anniversary"

[quote name='Master Ninja']fake why is kmart and best buy using the same PS3 mock up created by someone on the NEOGAF forums?

Yes the PS3 is dropping in Price But not till 9-9-09

As a "in yo face SEGA Dreamcast happy 10th Anniversary"[/QUOTE]

That'd be pretty awesome.

Put "$299" and "PS3" in the same sentence and I'm sold on the system. I'm at the point where I don't care if it's BC with PS2 or the hard drive has 120 GB, 80 GB, 8 GB, OVER 9000 GBs. As long as it doesn't have Microsoft's RROD or similar problems, sign me up.

BTW, if the slim really was coming out soon, don't you think we would start seeing pictures from stockrooms showing the box right about now??

The PS3 "Slim" will not be coming out any time soon maybe till September or October

$299 will be the blowout Price of the 80GB SKU till that is gone off store shelves.

Then the PS3 Slim will hit at $349.99 keeping the 160GB SKU at $499

So Sony will look like this

$169.99 PSP 3000
$249.99 PSP Go
$299.99 PS3 80GB Get it while you can
$349.99 PS3 Slim (notice only a $100 difference from the PSP Go to the PS3 tempting)
$399 160GB SKU (down from $499)

[quote name='Master Ninja']The PS3 "Slim" will not be coming out any time soon maybe till September or October

$299 will be the blowout Price of the 80GB SKU till that is gone off store shelves.

$169.99 PSP 3000
$249.99 PSP Go
$349.99 PS3 Slim (notice only a $100 difference from the PSP Go to the PS3 tempting)
$399 160GB SKU (down from $499)[/QUOTE]

this is just what you think, right?

[quote name='Master Ninja']The PS3 "Slim" will not be coming out any time soon maybe till September or October

$169.99 PSP 3000
$249.99 PSP Go
$399 160GB SKU (down from $499)[/QUOTE]

Too.....many....SKU's......too....confusing.....ONE SKU......is......sufficient.

WTF is with both MS and Sony this gen with the releasing revisions with different sized hard drives and pack-in shit? At least MS seems like they've made their minds up, but Sony is still confusing the ever living shit outta most normal shnooks going to buy a PS3.

I mean, yeah, the majority of the PS3 versions aren't even on store shelves to buy new anymore, but in the off chance some consumer is given a choice between the multitudes of versions of the PS3, how would one choose?

Moreover, if they're as uneducated as some of the idiots I see while I'm perusing the garbage.....errr used games at Gamestop who ask if the PS2 can play Gamecube games, then the general population attempting to buy a PS3 is gonna be even more confused.

Of course, it doesn't help when sales drone #252665744 who works for GS tells Susie Soccermom that 'all PS3's play PS2 games' and all sorts of other misinformation JUST to get a sale.

As for the PSP, unless I can find one for $19.99 or less(had a shot at one with a 1gb memory stick for $15, but was $5 short) and get it to do 'fun'(read: playing PS1 games)things, then I'd never be interested in one no matter how many silly revisions they make to it.

Sony just needs to lower the price to a REASONABLE amount and stick to one fuckin' SKU already.

This thread needs to die.

We have just been fueling the retardednes. And since when is Sept/Oct not soon? We have 2 weeks of August left.

All the rumors are raging, But I think it is safe to say some type of PS3 system will be priced at $299 soon.

I am torn myself and unsure whether I should buy a $299 PS3 fat as soon as I can, or will I have the patience to wait for a Slim model at $299 a few months from now, vs getting a $299 Fat immediately.

What would you all do?

[quote name='vocab']Id buy a Slim. Less power consumption, and probably runs cooler.[/QUOTE]

- not to mention lighter to carry
- 120GB HDD
- smaller
- will have higher resale value
- less power watt use might save you $5 a year.

vs. buying a Fat PS3 right away. OR wait 1 month or 2 months for Slim PS3's

because as soon as they arrive in Best Buy stock rooms, there will be Leaked pics.

just wait till gamescom when we actually know things instead of speculating. Sony's press conference is on the 18th I think. All that info is pure speculation and could all be false. Their could not even be a slim ps3 (although highly unlikely)

Eventually Sony is going to make a PS3 slim, so why not have some speculation about it's eventual pricing and what not? Personally, I'd love to sit here and watch all those saying 'this needs to die' eat crow if a PS3 slim DID pop up in like 2-3 weeks at retail with an MSRP of $300.

Before you kill the thread, let me add this:
The PSPgo is like the SLIM version of the PSP, and it didn't get a price drop, therefore, a PS3 version of the PS3 probably will follow suit. I'd like to see the PS3 slim at 299 not only for the consumers but for the developers.. I want Uncharted 2 to do well, and a price drop will most certainly help them out, along with other developers.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Eventually Sony is going to make a PS3 slim, so why not have some speculation about it's eventual pricing and what not? Personally, I'd love to sit here and watch all those saying 'this needs to die' eat crow if a PS3 slim DID pop up in like 2-3 weeks at retail with an MSRP of $300.[/QUOTE]

Pointing out that these are fakes has nothing to do with believing that a slim with a price drop will come (I would be surprised if they don't happen soon), it's just that keeping a post with the clearly fake ad scans is rather silly. Also the reason for posting the neogaf thread/post is because he explains every step and it's entertaining especially considering the response.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Eventually Sony is going to make a PS3 slim, so why not have some speculation about it's eventual pricing and what not? Personally, I'd love to sit here and watch all those saying 'this needs to die' eat crow if a PS3 slim DID pop up in like 2-3 weeks at retail with an MSRP of $300.[/QUOTE]

I agree with that.

I just want it to die because we might be breeding more fake ads though. Im on the side that this thing, beyond these ads that are made by people with too much time on their hands, is almost def. going to happen. I want uncharted for 9.99 though, that would have been great.

[quote name='neocisco']If you've waited this long than wait a little longer.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. My sweet spot has been $299 since the console came out. A slim version is even more incentive to wait for a $299 Slim.

EDIT: What I'm curious about is what type of Blu-ray drive they will use. The once in PS3's now are 2x I believe...could we possibly see a 4x in the PS3 Slim? This would help load times for BOTH games AND movies. And it's been a few years since Blu-ray launched so it's entirely possible Sony could move up to a 4x. It won't break compatibility and it will be a nice improvement upon the current models.

Doesn't anyone consider the possiblity that the slims might be lower quality (maybe they had to make compromises) or might have some features missing? I'd be happy if they stayed at their current reliability and produced less heat and noise, but I suspect there could be drop in quality.

If theres is NOT a Price drop to $299 next week I predict a CAG Meltdown, not only that but a near global gamer Meltdown shutting down the country.

If the Slim is $299 and has a 4x Bluray vs a 2x Bluray I will have to wait for the Slim.

But I think Sony is about cost cutting not improving parts, this would be like the xbox 360 going from a 12x DVD drive to a 16x DVD drive, gamers would have a meltdown.

On a side Note: and this sounds like a cliche my Buddy who works at Best Buy, says that at all local Best Buys they are getting TONS of PS3 returns about 8 per store which is Way high.

and people say its defective etc BS.

But mainly because they are close to the 30 Price match cut off, and can not wait 2 more weeks for the Sony announcement, so they smartly do a full return refund. Then will Re-buy later when its $299

[quote name='Scorch']"The world's most recognized brand, the PLAYSTATION"?

That doesn't sound legit at all. Not that it's not the most recognized brand, just doesn't seem like something they'd put in an ad.[/QUOTE]

Apparently you've never read KM's ad copy...it's consistently shit. And having looked at their ads from a competitor standpoint when there was a redesign of a clients ad here, I can say that with certainty.

So supposedly the top cover 'PS3' we saw a month or so ago was a fake? Personally, I'm hoping this is the case because that thing didn't look too promising...I'm sure Sony could do better than that. However, considering a lot of stores are dropping their current PS3 stock, a Slim PS3 is almost guaranteed to be shown on the 18th.

Fakes aside, my take on this is that the Slim PS3 is real and there will be a price drop on existing SKU(s) to clear inventory for it. What I'm not sure of is whether the Slim will drop to as low as $299.99. I don't think any of this will happen until next month at earliest, though.

If that's how tiny the PS3 slim is going to end up, I imagine you could cook a steak on the top of it after about 10 minutes running, since the PS3 NEEDS a fan to stay cool now and I doubt the 'newer parts' will eliminate too much of the heat that thing throws off.

When I run my PS3 in my room in the winter, it keeps my room about 5-10 degrees warmer, if that's any idea how warm/hot it runs.

Either way, Sony needs a price drop to coincide with the release of this thing or it won't sell.

That there are and I have to admit that for how much my one buddy uses his PStwo slim, that lil bugger has never overheated once. He once played it for 3-4 hours before I showed up, then we played a buncha games for 3-4 hours, then he told me he played for another 3-4 after I left.

If Sony can do the same with the PS3 slim, I'll be amazed.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If that's how tiny the PS3 slim is going to end up, I imagine you could cook a steak on the top of it after about 10 minutes running, since the PS3 NEEDS a fan to stay cool now and I doubt the 'newer parts' will eliminate too much of the heat that thing throws off.

When I run my PS3 in my room in the winter, it keeps my room about 5-10 degrees warmer, if that's any idea how warm/hot it runs.

Either way, Sony needs a price drop to coincide with the release of this thing or it won't sell.[/QUOTE]

Um, do you not understand what shrinking die sizes does? Not only will the components require less power, take up less space, and be cheaper to produce, but they will put out a HELL of a lot LESS heat than the current components.

[quote name='SynGamer']Um, do you not understand what shrinking die sizes does? Not only will the components require less power, take up less space, and be cheaper to produce, but they will put out a HELL of a lot LESS heat than the current components.[/QUOTE]

Not really. All I understand is that the PS2 being shrunk down to the slim size seemed to help alleviate many of the read issues from the fat model.

However, just like the PS2 being shrunk down, Sony really needs to shrink one IMPORTANT component about the PS3: PRICE.

If they can do that, they may finally be competitive, though $200 is the sweet spot for most to buy into a console gen.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Not really. All I understand is that the PS2 being shrunk down to the slim size seemed to help alleviate many of the read issues from the fat model.

However, just like the PS2 being shrunk down, Sony really needs to shrink one IMPORTANT component about the PS3: PRICE.

If they can do that, they may finally be competitive, though $200 is the sweet spot for most to buy into a console gen.[/QUOTE]

Where is this statistic that $200 is the ideal price point? Considering the PS3 came out at $599, $299 is a great price for the PS3, especially considering it has a Blu-ray player built-in.

Well, that was initially going to be the price I was going to wait for. Plus, $200 is a ALOT more tolerable than $600.

Although, I am shocked that just 3 years or so into it's lifecycle that it may well drop to 50% off already.

As for the built-in Blu-Ray player, not everybody gives a shit about it being able to play some overhyped bullshit new format.

Yeah, over hyped bullshit...that looks a hell of a lot better than DVD. Anyway, I think it's a stretch to say that $200 is the ideal price point for most based solely on your own opinion...

[quote name='SynGamer']Yeah, over hyped bullshit...that looks a hell of a lot better than DVD. Anyway, I think it's a stretch to say that $200 is the ideal price point for most based solely on your own opinion...[/QUOTE]

Solely my own opinion? Why were the Wii and 360 outselling the PS3? It's because the PS3 was more expensive than it's competitors and mommy and daddy who buy junior a new game system don't wanna pay $400 or more for a console.

Some people just want a game system to, you know, play GAMES on. They don't care about all of the bells & whistles.

As for me, I rarely buy movies to watch at home as it is and the few I may still buy will be on DVD for $5-10 with $10 being the MAX I'll pay for a movie. Until Blu-Ray is down to $5-10 a movie, they can shove it up their ass.

bread's done
Back